TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm thinking Quinn is going to be pretty decent. He's less of a natural athlete and more of a smart type of QB. I watched quite a bit of Notre Dame last season and he never really made too many egregious errors. He won't light the world on fire, but he'll be perfectly solid, which is all the Bears need at QB.

If he's gone, oh well. Take the BPA at six. Briggs is gone anyway, and no one's giving up the farm for him. This is as good as they'll get for him, plus he'll be going to a non-divisional team.

Say the Lions or whoever get Quinn, then Landry will be right there at safety, Alan Branch at DT, Gaines Adams at DE. There's plenty of good defensive players in the draft, and depth would be great. They can fish for tight end and OL depth in the 2nd round and later.

Hey, why not shop that number six pick around the league right now and see what teams offer?

True, but it's not like any offseason thread for other sports were ever pinned. There's enough traffic in this thread that it'll stay near the top anyway.

On another topic, are we doing the mock draft again this year?

On another topic, are we doing the mock draft again this year?

I would be up for one if we did it all at once. As in everyone who is in shows up at one time and we run through it like a real time draft. Way too many headaches the way it happened the last couple years which is why I didn't worry about bringing it up again.

Guest Vitamin X
Former Texans QB Carr visits Panthers

April 3, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Free agent David Carr traveled to North Carolina on Tuesday to visit with a Panthers team in need of a backup quarterback.

Carr, the No. 1 overall pick by expansion Houston in the 2002 draft, was released by the Texans last month. His agent, Mike Sullivan, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Carolina general manager Marty Hurney does not comment on free-agent visits.

Carr completed 60 percent of his passes with the Texans, but threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons. Some believe Carr could flourish behind a better offensive line. Carr is also expected to visit Seattle this week.

The Panthers are looking for a backup behind Jake Delhomme after releasing Chris Weinke last month. The Panthers have also shown interest in former Miami quarterback Joey Harrington.

The Panthers, who have been quiet during the free agency period, are about $9 million under the salary cap.

NFC West- Seahawks: Set with Hasselbeck, might acquire a QB in the draft to understudy.

NFC South- Carolina Panthers: They've got Delhomme, but I think they might be questioning for how much longer. He's 32 this year, and while that isn't old unless you're Brett Favre and you're getting asked if you're going to retire anytime soon everyday from that birthday on, I thought I heard rumblings that the Panthers were interested in other alternatives, thinking they could do better with someone else at QB. I don't know why, since Delhomme's done what he can with what he has and a lack of a consistent running game, but this year might be a proving year for Jake. I don't think they could go for Carr, since he's only about 4 years younger than Delhomme and shellshocked.

The thing with jake, he has somehow avoided people calling him out for his horrible decision making for the past couple of seasons. David Carr could very well earn the starting spot in Carolina, as they can't be that happy over Jakes performance now.

Guest Vitamin X

Bad decision-making? Come on now.

Delhomme has had over a 60% completion rate the past couple seasons, and threw 24 TD's, 16 INTs in 2005, and 17 TDs, 11 INTs last season (he was out for 3 games or so, it seems). Not to mention that ever since taking over in 2003 (That was the Panthers' Super Bowl year BTW) he has thrown for close to or over 3000 yards every single time, and he's even better in the postseason, throwing for 11 TDs, and 5 INTs with a 59% completion rate throughout his career (while only losing two games). Delhomme is a great quarterback, and like I said, seriously underrated and very often overlooked. Carr would only serve in a backup role there whereas he'd have the chance to start sooner elsewhere.

Bad decision-making? Come on now.

Delhomme has had over a 60% completion rate the past couple seasons, and threw 24 TD's, 16 INTs in 2005, and 17 TDs, 11 INTs last season (he was out for 3 games or so, it seems). Not to mention that ever since taking over in 2003 (That was the Panthers' Super Bowl year BTW) he has thrown for close to or over 3000 yards every single time, and he's even better in the postseason, throwing for 11 TDs, and 5 INTs with a 59% completion rate throughout his career (while only losing two games). Delhomme is a great quarterback, and like I said, seriously underrated and very often overlooked. Carr would only serve in a backup role there whereas he'd have the chance to start sooner elsewhere.

I said bad decisions over the past couple of years. Mostly throwing the ball to his first option coverage be damed. I am not talking about delhommes career.

Guest Vitamin X

Neither was I. I stated his statistics over the past couple seasons which is proof that he's done well in that period of time, and furthermore booted in his postseason stats as more reasoning why letting him go or letting a somewhat unproven Carr (unproven in the sense that we don't know what he could do with a good line in front of him) compete for his job when he's the most established (although maybe not the best with Drew Brees there) QB in the division, and probably one of the top 5 in the conference.

He's also a bit of a "gunslinger" type QB, so the ball to his first option throw coverage be damned is to be expected. You have to realize with some quarterbacks like Delhomme and Favre, they're going to turn the ball over some, but you get a lot more big plays out of them regardless because their style of play is to read the coverage before the snap, and get the throw off as soon as possible based on the read they had, going off of instinct. Time an NFL play and check it out yourself, all of a quarterback's decisions have to be made in under a second, max. There are few quarterbacks that have the time (especially with defensive linemen getting not only bigger but faster as well) to scramble around and find an open man after their first or second option. Not to mention the West Coast playbook (which Carolina's offense does run) is geared toward not having many options to throw to, and getting the ball off as fast as they can, letting the receiver make plays once he has the ball. Hence, why guys like Steve Smith get so much YAC.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
was sacked 249 times in five seasons

What a horrible statistic. That's fifty times per season. Over three times per per game he had his dick knocked in the dirt.

Darryl Stingley died yesterday at age 55. He was the guy that got paralysed by Jack Tatum nearly 30 years ago.

Guest Vitamin X

Fuck!

So much for any big offseason moves now on the Packers' side. I was really banking on having Aaron Rodgers become expendable.

Delhomme will start for the next two-three seasons and Carr will never be a consistently starting quarterback in this league again. Watch.

That's probably going to prove true.

Have the chances of a Moss trade completely evaporated now? I haven't heard any of the rumors in a couple weeks now.

Guest Vitamin X
How can you complain, VX? You knew he was being looked at by Carolina and Seattle. I didn't even see any reports that the Packers were bringing him in to work him out.

That's exactly why I'm complaining. I'm surprised with all the consideration regarding using Rodgers as trade bait that they didn't even try to bring in Carr.

Have the chances of a Moss trade completely evaporated now? I haven't heard any of the rumors in a couple weeks now.

Probably, and to be honest, it's probably all for the best. Many of the fans loathed the idea, while the rest (including myself) were very apprehensive about it. You don't know what you're getting with him either (especially when it comes to locker room chemistry and character issues, something that right now Green Bay has absolutely no problems with), and it would likely have been too much to give up to get him.

I think Green Bay can do a lot better with just keeping and improving their young core, and make some solid draft choices. Reports are that the first rounder they're looking at is either Miami tight end Greg Olsen or Cal RB Marshawn Lynch. I'm kind of iffy on both those picks these days, I liked Lynch a lot more at first but I've been hearing there's not only injury but some questionable character issues with him that have persisted throughout this offseason. I think a guy like Kenny Irons would suit Green Bay just fine, especially since the Pack could go with a bruiser and have Morency and Herron provide the speed and shiftiness at halfback.

Well that was stupid. Gives Jones something to appeal. Especially when Henry is only getting 8 games.

yeah...that was pretty dumb.

Well that was stupid. Gives Jones something to appeal. Especially when Henry is only getting 8 games.

yeah...that was pretty dumb.

Why is it dumb? Jones deserves to be suspended for a year.

The Raiders have still not named a replacement WR coach after Fred Biletnikoff retired earlier this off-season. I wish the team would have maybe somehow managed to sign James Lofton for the spot.

Apparently, the Raiders are in discussions with Detroit about signing Josh McCown (...shoot me). I *really* wish they would have signed David Carr since him and HC Lane Kiffen were player and coach at Fresno State when Carr played there.

My bold predictions:

The Raiders go 14 - 2 next season and lose the two games to the San Diego Chargers, headed by former Raiders HC Norv Turner.

Ladanian Tomlinson will rush for over 2000 yards as well and shatter the record.

TO will get knocked out in a game and will be forced to retire afterwards.

So, there.