TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Packer's signed Nick Barnett to a 6-year extension, and I'm suprised that Pacman got that big of a suspension. Any idea if he's been charged for the stuff in Vegas?

Well that was stupid. Gives Jones something to appeal. Especially when Henry is only getting 8 games.

yeah...that was pretty dumb.

Why is it dumb? Jones deserves to be suspended for a year.

I need to preface this by saying that Jones needs to be gone from the NFL, before people think I am defending him.

BUT.

At the end of the day, he got in a fight at a club, acted like a bitch to a valet, acted like a bitch when he got his wallet stolen (allegedly stolen that is) and spit at someone, acted like a bitch and spit in some other girls face because...well..he is a spoiled little bitch and didn't stick to his parole enough in connection with the fight. Yes, that is a long list of stuff, but at the end of the day, he got in a fight and spit at some people. Thats all they can base the suspension on because he hasn't been charged with anything in the Vegas incident, and the other charges were dropped (the marijuana and the obstruction charges)

On the other hand, you give Henry, who has been convicted of Drunk driving, pot posession, gun charges, driving without a licenseand giving alchohol to minors only 8 games. AND he had a sexual assalt accusation (if we are going on being accused of something should get you suspended)

His list of infractions that are indisputable are longer and more serious than Jones's yet he gets half as many games?

That just left the window open for an appeal. What they should have done was give both of them an entire season. As it stands now, I don't see how Jones won't be able to appeal and get his moved down to 8 games at worse, and argue that if Henry is the precedent for misconduct, get even more games taken off, like down to 6.

And fuck that because this spoiled ass child doesn't need to only miss 6 games. Even if the Vegas thing is wrong (and I actually do have to question why someone who wasn't there is the only person saying Jones was with the shooter.) I still don't like his bitchtivity so much that I don't want to see him in the league.

The issue there is that its "conduct detrimental to the league," so Goodell can use his authority based on his own discretion, not based on some set guidelines.

Guest Queen Leelee
Jones shouldn't be suspended for anything as he has yet to be convicted of a crime.

Agreed.

Yeah, Jones is a bitch. I'd love to see him get kicked out of the NFL. But, there's a reason why there's a law system in the United States. That's how we punish criminals. We don't punish them by taking away their livelihood, especially when Jones has done nothing to affect his job performance. This is wrong and immoral.

They can suspend him for not reporting the obstruction of justice and marijuana arrest even though they were thrown out later. Its in his contract that he has to report all incidents with the law and he didn't.

But there is no way to even try and turn that into a year suspension. And if they are taking into account ALL of the stuff they have been convicted up, all they have on Jones is a fight and probation violation. You could probably push 1-2 games out of that.

But no way a season holds up.

Chris Henry should have been suspended for a year. Pacman should have been given 8 months. These rulings should have been reversed. Both of these guys act like trash and therefore should be treated like trash. Fuck'em both, especially Chris Henry.

They can suspend him for not reporting the obstruction of justice and marijuana arrest even though they were thrown out later. Its in his contract that he has to report all incidents with the law and he didn't.

But there is no way to even try and turn that into a year suspension. And if they are taking into account ALL of the stuff they have been convicted up, all they have on Jones is a fight and probation violation. You could probably push 1-2 games out of that.

But no way a season holds up.

I think the players' union will uphold the suspension. For one, Jones has a sad history of polarizing conduct - he does all of the voluntary charity work outside of the organization, then he undoes all of it with the shitty stuff that can be blamed on the clique that surrounds him. And secondly, a reduction in Jones' schedule could result in a reduction for Henry, which is definitely not what the league wants. Pacman may be the one that embarrassed the league with the events at NBA-ASW, but Henry keeps fucking up on his own and deserves everything he's getting.

As it stands now, I don't see how Jones won't be able to appeal and get his moved down to 8 games at worse, and argue that if Henry is the precedent for misconduct, get even more games taken off, like down to 6.

Okay, good, you said it too, but an appeal won't happen.

How can they possibly hold up the suspension? You get a year now for spitting on someone? Or for getting in a fight two years ago?

Embarass...whatever. He hasn't even been charged in the Las Vegas thing yet, let alone convicted. They are still investigating to determine if he will be CHARGED. You can't suspend a guy with no pay for year because he might be charged with a crime. The Union will eat that apart even if they aren't really happy about it. And if the Union doesn't, then Pacmans own lawyers will. I honestly think its kinda unlawful unless they were suspending him with pay.

Well, if the incident in Vegas doesn't happen, Pacman steers clear of Goodell's radar. I'd say that the NFL believes he embarrassed them as a whole.

The two players are suspended without pay, the NFL announced.

Hmm, well, I could see the union appealing that ruling. I don't know what Pacman makes beyond his base salary (which is what he's losing).

How can they possibly hold up the suspension? You get a year now for spitting on someone? Or for getting in a fight two years ago?

Embarass...whatever. He hasn't even been charged in the Las Vegas thing yet, let alone convicted. They are still investigating to determine if he will be CHARGED. You can't suspend a guy with no pay for year because he might be charged with a crime. The Union will eat that apart even if they aren't really happy about it. And if the Union doesn't, then Pacmans own lawyers will. I honestly think its kinda unlawful unless they were suspending him with pay.

There is a 99% chance that the suspension is upheld. The commissioner is fully within his bounds to issue this suspension as it is clearly outlined in the CBA that it is within his power to do so. This is not the US legal system; the NFL does not have an innocent until proven guilty mentality. All they need is a preponderance of evidence that suggests he has broken the law, and 5 arrrests and 10 police questionings certainly qualifies. The NFL is a revenue-sharing league, which makes all players representatives of the organization as a whole. Conduct detrimental to the league is grounds for suspension as it could have a negative monetary effect felt league wide. The team, the owners and the players are all behind the suspension. On what grounds can they throw out the suspension?

It's not really based only on what Pacman did, it's more about making an example of these two guys to combat the all of the news stories about NFL players being thugs and criminals. Really, Leonard Little did a lot worse when he killed that girl while drunk driving, and nothing has happened to him. If he did that during this specific offseason though, then he'd probably be out of the league. It's the media attention that's driving this, though you can still blame Pacman for being so obnoxiously retarded.

Yeah, its media attention that is driving it, but setting an example isn't going to stand up if say Jones sues the league. bottomline, if they had waited until he at least got charged they might have something to stand on. Or if he gets convicted, throw a two year suspension on there. But we are talking about a guy having 4 misdemenors in the last 3 years losing a year of play while a guy with obviously more serious offenses in the same amount of time gets 8 games.

He can't even argue that these are more severe due to new policy becase Henry sets the bar for the new policies. He has literally been convicted of 4-5 offenses while Pacman, has been convicted of one or two at the most.

He should have just suspended them both for the year.

And yes. Pacman is quite retarded.

As someone who likes the Bengals for reasons that pertain to the University of Southern California, Jones' suspension is going to be lessened to the same length as Chris Henry's. Henry should have got the whole year or more, IMO.

I believe they stated that since Henry has already served a three-game suspension (2 by the league, one by the team) and hasn't had any incidents since, he was not going to be docked an entire year. Had he not served any time he would have likely gotten the full year. Tank Johnson is expected to get a full year suspension as well once he has served his jail time.

Drew Bledsoe to retire

If he entered the NFL 5-10 or so years or so before he actually did, Drew may have been a HOF caliber QB. Unfortunately, he entered in a time when defenses got bigger and faster and QBs had to be more agile and able to quickly get rid of the ball. He's a white Warren Moon, basically (and I don't think he'll get the unwarranted love of the HOF voters like Warren did).

I believe Drew Bledsoe should be in the HOF. His numbers (and ring) are HOF worthy. His 2002 season with Buffalo was amazing after getting kicked out of New England the season before.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think he's a very memorable quarterback, he'd be a classic example of "This is the 'Hall of Fame' not the 'Hall of Very Good'." He had a couple outstanding seasons here and there, but overall, if you look at his career he wasn't the difference maker his eventual replacement or many other quarterbacks were.

I think the Pats should retire Bledsoe's number. Those outside of New England for the most part don't remember a time when old Foxboro stadium was nearly empty and the local NFL affiliates wouldn't even bother playing the Pats, instead opting to show NY Giants games instead. When fans around here talk about the Pats going from absolute shit to a respectable football franchise there are three things mentioned.

1.) Kraft purchasing the team

2.) Bill Parcells being brought in

3.) Bledsoe being drafted

Without those three things occuring there is no Tom Brady or 3 Super Bowl victories as...

1.) The team would have been moved to St. Louis.

2.) Bledsoe gave fans hope and got them interested in the team again. Upon his drafting he was suppose to be the next golden boy QB and was often compared to Johnny-U.

3.) Parcells gave the organisation instant credability. Free Agents and NFL Execs alike viewed the team in a different light when Kraft was able to bring him in.

I don't know if Bledsoe will make the HoF. He's 7th all time in passing yards at the moment (sure to drop to 8th one day when Peyton surpasses him), 5th in completions, and 13th in TD passes.

I'll never forgive Drew for tanking a very winnable game that would have got the Bills into the playoffs following a tremendous 2nd half of the season against the Steelers 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Drew Bledsoe to retire

If he entered the NFL 5-10 or so years or so before he actually did, Drew may have been a HOF caliber QB. Unfortunately, he entered in a time when defenses got bigger and faster and QBs had to be more agile and able to quickly get rid of the ball. He's a white Warren Moon, basically (and I don't think he'll get the unwarranted love of the HOF voters like Warren did).

Thats a joke right? You don't think the Warren love is warranted?(heh...that sounds funny).

Drew was a class act and all and I wouldn't complain if he made the Hall, but he won't make it. Even he knew he needed a Super Bowl ring to make the Hall. The only thing I like about this is he stuck to his guns and just walked away when he realized he couldn't start anymore. I still think he'll make one fine coach since his knowledge of the game and his ability to handle the media is very good, but he won't make the Hall as a player.

With the two areas combined? Possibly. With just his playing days, it's a nice resume but it's not going to happen.

I think I would vote him in too. He did have some amazing years and is a top ten passer yardage wise ever. That should be enough.

He's really borderline for me. He's right there with the numbers, but I feel that he is just short with his other accomplishments. The fact that he was replaced by his team on the way to a Super Bowl win really hurts his legacy, in my opinion. I wouldn't complain if he made it, but I wouldn't feel compelled to champion his cause either.

Drew was a class act and all and I wouldn't complain if he made the Hall, but he won't make it. Even he knew he needed a Super Bowl ring to make the Hall. The only thing I like about this is he stuck to his guns and just walked away when he realized he couldn't start anymore. I still think he'll make one fine coach since his knowledge of the game and his ability to handle the media is very good, but he won't make the Hall as a player.

With the two areas combined? Possibly. With just his playing days, it's a nice resume but it's not going to happen.

I assume you mean getting a ring by starting a full season, but he does in fact have one.

I'd like to see him as a coach. I'd vote him in, but I'm biased b/c he was my favorite player as a kid.

Let me say, I want to see Drew in the Hall. I think the guy did enough numbers wise and he was the face of the Patriots while the franchise was resurrected. But Bledsoe himself acknowledged he needed the ring won by him to get in the Hall because he didn't think the voters would put him in. Frankly, I want him as the Patriots quarterback coach since I think Brady still needs someone to turn to for a quick confidence boost and a slap upside the head when he starts trying to do to much. And if anyone would know about trying to do too much, it's Drew. When Tom is down, Drew is the kind of guy who can get his head back into the game and tell him to go out there and stop f'n around.

To me, with the way he acted in the NFL and the numbers he was able to put up, I'd vote him in as well. But he won't get in and the writers will point to one simple reason: He didn't win a Super Bowl as the starting quarterback.

But with his actions, his numbers and the fact the guy stayed a team player no matter what the team did and continued to prepare like he was a starting quarterback tells me he should go. I just know, it won't happen as a player. It just won't.