TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Guest Tzar Lysergic

San Diego has some really tough ones next season. They open the season with Chicago, then go to New England and Green Bay. @ Minnesota, Indy, @ Jacksonville, Baltimore, and @ KC is a rough stretch too. Plus they have Denver twice.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Speaking of AFC West schedules, Oakland's is murder. I don't see them winning a single game after November 11th. Maybe @ Minnesota.

Bye, bye NFL Europa, it's folded.

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — The NFL folded its development league in Europe after 16 years on Friday, calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States.

The announcement came less than a week after the Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28 in the World Bowl title game in Frankfurt before a crowd of 48,125. Five of the league's six teams are based in Germany, with the other in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

A statement on the German-language edition of the NFL's website said the NFL decided to concentrate its "strategies and resources" on regular-season games outside the United States in an effort to reach as many people as possible.

Guest George's Box

I don't think the Chargers will be as good as last year, either. Their staff is a mess. I still see the Chargers winning that game, though, just because the last time I watched a Bears game, there was little to no run defense.

The Chargers are definitely not 14-2 quality, I know that, but they should be around 9-7 to 12-4, depending on how talent overcomes the coaching, if needed to be. The Bears are on a downslide, and until Rex Grossman either starts playing like he did the first few weeks of last season FULL-TIME or they got a QB that plays better, they aren't going to be as good. Their defense is missing Tank Johnson (who even as a fuck-up was still a good DT) and a potential Briggs holdout, it will only get worse.

Guest Vitamin X
Lets be serious though, they're winning their division.

Don't be so sure of yourself. Green Bay and Minnesota have improved a lot in the offseason, and the Packers doubled their win total last year. With another season under their belt, plus Chicago losing some pieces on defense, the gap isn't as wide as you think.

That said, we can at least agree that they'll finish better than Detroit, at any rate.

The Chargers are definitely not 14-2 quality, I know that, but they should be around 9-7 to 12-4, depending on how talent overcomes the coaching, if needed to be.

I agree. I don't think they'll miss the playoffs, but with Denver in the division, I think their winning the AFC West becomes questionable.

I don't think the Chargers will be as good as last year, either. Their staff is a mess. I still see the Chargers winning that game, though, just because the last time I watched a Bears game, there was little to no run defense.

The last few games you saw the Bears play, they were missing key run defenders, particularly on the defensive line, plus they were playing some very good running teams with Indy, New Orleans, and Seattle. Even Green Bay's inconsistent running game was able to run up and down on them in that Week 17 game.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

When did Chicago secure home field last year? It was pretty early, wasn't it? I can't remember.

Minnesota still doesn't have a QB, or any real WR's. The pass defense is still a question mark. The head coach until proven otherwise, is nothing but a pompous jackass.

I see the Vikings finishing 6-10, or 5-11.

So Tank Johnson was under the limit and was not legally drunk when he was pulled over.

So....Tank just got cut for speeding..

LOFL.

So Tank Johnson was under the limit and was not legally drunk when he was pulled over.

So....Tank just got cut for speeding..

LOFL.

The Chicago Bears have released a statement:

"Oops."

Still, the fact that the Bears instilled a zero-tolerance policy on Tank meant that being out at 3:30 A.M., driving at least a little impaired, and getting pulled over by the cops was good enough for them to get rid of him. I don't neccessarily agree with it but I doubt the Bears will lose sleep over the decision they made.

Guest Vitamin X

Tank should sign with the Packers, just for kicks, and wreck havoc when they play Chicago. It's gotta happen.

Still, the fact that the Bears instilled a zero-tolerance policy on Tank meant that being out at 3:30 A.M., driving at least a little impaired, and getting pulled over by the cops was good enough for them to get rid of him. I don't neccessarily agree with it but I doubt the Bears will lose sleep over the decision they made.

It was zero tolerance for getting in trouble. You can't tell a grown man he can't be out at 3:30.

At the end of the day, no matter how they try to spin it, Tank Johnson got cut for speeding. That is REAL zero tolerance baby.

They should cut someone for littering next.

It was zero tolerance for getting in trouble. You can't tell a grown man he can't be out at 3:30.

At the end of the day, no matter how they try to spin it, Tank Johnson got cut for speeding. That is REAL zero tolerance baby.

They should cut someone for littering next.

Well hey I like it. Besides Tank being out at 3:30 am speeding doesn't lend to good character especially after his jail term. If Tank was warned to play it cool and he littered, yeah, cut his ass.

He was under the influence of alcohol. His blood test came back at a 0.72 which is just a hair under the legal limit. He can still be charged with a DUI under the minimum impairment rule. They didn't cut Tank because of speeding. They cut him because he promised to change and then went out and shower poor judgment days later. I doubt the Bears regret their decision in the least.

Surprised there hasn't been more NFL talk here lately.

Anyways, Dwight Freeney was made the highest paid defensive player in league history (Richard Seymour was the highest) by signing a 6-year, $72-million dollar deal with Colts with a $30-million dollar signing bonus. Thoughts anyone?

Surprised there hasn't been more NFL talk here lately.

Anyways, Dwight Freeney was made the highest paid defensive player in league history (Richard Seymour was the highest) by signing a 6-year, $72-million dollar deal with Colts with a $30-million dollar signing bonus. Thoughts anyone?

He better tackle/sack a lot of ball carriers/quarterbacks.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Discussion Question: Who's going to be a major fucking bust from the 1st round this year?

Discussion Question: Who's going to be a major fucking bust from the 1st round this year?

Ted Ginn, no question.

As for Freeney, he might not be a top 5 DEs, but he's in the top 10 and for Indy, he is definitely more invaluable. They might have overpaid, but that's what it takes to keep your franchise defender, well besides Bob Sanders.

Peppers, Merriman, and Taylor are the only DE's better than Freeney. I won't say Jevon Kearse simply because the guy played 2 games last year. After those three guys (Peppers, Merriman and Taylor), everything bunches up. Those guys are the only ones clearly above the rest.

Biggest bust will be Amobi Okoye. Hate to say it because I like his story and all, but he's not ready for the grind of the league.

Guest Vitamin X

I know he racks up a ton of sacks, but Merriman's technically a linebacker, not a d-lineman..

Freeney is definitely up there as far as defensive ends go, though. His only weakness is that he can sometimes be a liability against the run, but that's it- if he doesn't get blown up on a running play, his speed is amazing in terms of catching up to a back. His stats don't show it from last year, though: only 5.5 sacks and 26 tackles. I hate to be a homer here, but if Aaron Kampman stays consistent with his awesome season this past year, he could definitely be up there when talking about top defensive ends. I've got five defensive ends who I can name as being arguably better or on the same level as Freeney:

Julius Peppers, Jason Taylor, Leonard Little, Derrick Burgess, and Terrell Suggs. All of these guys, as well as Aaron Kampman had over 40 tackles and 10 sacks this past season, twice as many as Freeney. Even Freeney's teammate on the other side of the line, Robert Mathis, had a better year- 50 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Of course, Freeney has age going for him- he's 27 (entering his PRIME) this season, and is as valuable a contributor to his team as any of the guys listed above. Trevor Pryce and Mark Anderson had pretty good seasons, as well. Although, it's very difficult to judge really how good defensive ends are, considering they tend to peak and flame out very quickly- their careers are very short, in general, especially for the smaller ends.

Yeah, technically. I should have said passrusher.

It's hard to judge DE's (and most defensive players by their stats) by sacks because it's hard to get a lot of sacks when you're constantly being double-teamed as a result of how dangerous you are. I thought about mentioning Suggs and Little as well. Simeon Rice is another, but he hit a brick wall last year called the injury bug.