TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/21 - 11/25

Damn what a shame West Virginia and Arkansas lost this weekend because if USC really turns this into a laugher Notre Dame might have lost their automatic spot in the BCS by dropping out of the Top 8.

Damn what a shame West Virginia and Arkansas lost this weekend because if USC really turns this into a laugher Notre Dame might have lost their automatic spot in the BCS by dropping out of the Top 8.

Gator Bowl'n.

Even if they did drop out of the top 8, SOME bowl was taking them as an at-large. It's Notre Dame.

Rice locked up it's first bowl bid since the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl.

San Jose State locked up it's first bowl bid since the 1990 California Rasin Bowl.

Even if they did drop out of the top 8, SOME bowl was taking them as an at-large. It's Notre Dame.

The way the contracts are set up, the only bowls that can take an "At Large" team instead of a contracted one are the Big East's bowls (Gator, Sun, Texas, PapaJohns.Com), the Poinsettia Bowl, and any bowl that can't fill its conference tie-ins (Motor City can't fill the Big Ten tie-ins, etc.).

(The Big East's bowl contracts have typically had Notre Dame counted as a Big East team for the selection process, which is why they'll likely go to the Gator Bowl.)

While it doesn't keep the Irish from bowling, it does put them in a decidely shittier bowl than if they were playing close with USC.

San Jose State locked up it's first bowl bid since the 1990 California Rasin Bowl.

I don't know which of those two is more staggering. I'd go with Rice at first glance.

"I heard it through the grapevine

Dahlin', bout to lose my mind

Honey, honey yeah"

I don't know which of those two is more staggering. I'd go with Rice at first glance.

I'll go with San Jose State...

Rice has always had the opportunity to go to a bowl if they ever went above .500, whether it was the old Southwest Conference, their prior home in the WAC, or their current home in Conference USA.

San Jose State is in the kind of crappy mid-major conference that would be lucky to get a bowl bid for anyone other than the league champ.

The way the contracts are set up, the only bowls that can take an "At Large" team instead of a contracted one are the Big East's bowls (Gator, Sun, Texas, PapaJohns.Com), the Poinsettia Bowl, and any bowl that can't fill its conference tie-ins (Motor City can't fill the Big Ten tie-ins, etc.).

(The Big East's bowl contracts have typically had Notre Dame counted as a Big East team for the selection process, which is why they'll likely go to the Gator Bowl.)

While it doesn't keep the Irish from bowling, it does put them in a decidely shittier bowl than if they were playing close with USC.

I think he meant a BCS bowl was going to take them. They'll still get picked for one no matter what. Big money.

I think he meant a BCS bowl was going to take them. They'll still get picked for one no matter what. Big money.

It depends how far they drop in the BCS rankings and if the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl feels they need the boost in ticket sales.

The Rose Bowl won't bring them out again after they just got thrashed by USC while the Fiesta is stuck with Boise State.

I'd say the Orange takes them since the ACC (their permanent tie-in conference) looks so bad this year, no matter if the champ is Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, or Maryland.

Yesssssss, still have a shot at a Rutgers/Wake Forest Orange Bowl.

Speaking of surreal bowl match-ups, San Jose State might end up playing Miami on the blue turf in the MPC Computers Bowl although I think Nevada will probably end up being Boise State's replacement with the Spartans going to the New Mexico Bowl to play a road game against the Lobos.

I'll go with San Jose State...

Rice has always had the opportunity to go to a bowl if they ever went above .500, whether it was the old Southwest Conference, their prior home in the WAC, or their current home in Conference USA.

San Jose State is in the kind of crappy mid-major conference that would be lucky to get a bowl bid for anyone other than the league champ.

True, but Rice has always had to play the deisgnated "play the subs" role back in the old SWC. Rice had no chance in that conference when you consider who they were stuck playing (Baylor and TCU [back then] being the exceptions]). Plus, other than the Cotton Bowl, I can't think of any bowl tie-ins the SWC had. Maybe the Holiday Bowl? I'm a bit hazy on that.

Plus, Rice is a tiny school (about 2900 enrolled) with horribly stringent academic requirements. They don't get any Prop 48 kids or JUCO transfers. They get the leftover HS kids. Finally, the faculty isn't exactly on the football team's side. Every couple of years you hear about one professor or other complain about how much money the football team takes up and how they oughta drop down to 1AA. Combine that with mediocre (at least when I visited) practice facilities and I'd say they've done wonders this season.

San Jose/Miami on the Smurf Turf would be the greatest bowl ever.

Miami's orange vs. SJSU's horrible yellow on that blue turf might cause my TV to explode. Too bad they couldn't invite Oregon and make it a jamboree, that might be enough to cause people to spontaneously puke.

Guest Princess Leena

Honestly, with how many bowls there are, basically guaranteeing that 6-6 teams from just about every conference makes a bowl now... we'd have to get to the Buffalo's and Temple's of the I-A world for there to be any staggering.