TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/21 - 11/25

I just saw the last play of Utah/BYU and I must say: How the hell do you drop 9 into coverage (with the LOS being from the 9 or so) and leave some guy wide open in the end zone? I realize the QB ran around to give himself time, but still...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think it'd be funny if some company started their own meaningless bowl game, and invited the two worst teams in I-A college football to play in an outdoors bowl game someplace incredibly awful in late december. No fans and freezing weather, just to mock their sports programs.

Guest Princess Leena

Buffalo rarely has significant snow before December. Don't hate.

And yes, every college team would take the opportunity for free exposure, and a penny.

I think it'd be funny if some company started their own meaningless bowl game, and invited the two worst teams in I-A college football to play in an outdoors bowl game someplace incredibly awful in late december. No fans and freezing weather, just to mock their sports programs.

Temple vs. Eastern Michigan in the American Standard Toilet Bowl, LIVE from Nome, Alaska!

This year you'd match-up Duke/FIU in that game in a battle of the only two winless teams in D-IA.

I'd put my money on FIU...

At least those kids have some fight in them.

<badum-BANG>

Let me throw out a potentially nightmarish scenario for my guys, U of L. Chances are we'll squash UConn next week to go to 11-1. I've been counting on WVU to crush Rutgers to end the season, but after today I am now worried. What happens if Rutgers beats WVU and goes 11-1? I know they would get the Big East automatic bid, but what is U of L looking at in terms of a possible at large? Or is U of L going to get fucked over in favor of this bullshit ND team?

Louisville may still have a decent shot at the last BCS at-large in that scenario. Your only realistic competition is LSU and possibly Florida if they lose the SEC championship game.

Let me throw out a potentially nightmarish scenario for my guys, U of L. Chances are we'll squash UConn next week to go to 11-1. I've been counting on WVU to crush Rutgers to end the season, but after today I am now worried. What happens if Rutgers beats WVU and goes 11-1? I know they would get the Big East automatic bid, but what is U of L looking at in terms of a possible at large? Or is U of L going to get fucked over in favor of this bullshit ND team?

Helllloooo El Paso.

That'd be such bullshit. I'm hoping WVU scrapes together some sort of effort and beats Rutgers.

Where exactly would LSU even go in the BCS? The only bowl that makes any sense for them is the Sugar Bowl, but the SEC champion would go to that I think. I'm still trying to figure out how a 2 loss LSU team that finished third in the SEC west is in any sort of BCS contention.

Let's take a look at this if Rutgers actually wins vs. WVU:

Title game: Ohio St. vs. USC

Rose: Michigan vs. Notre Dame (yes, someone will get screwed here in favor of ND)

Orange: Rutgers vs. Wake Forest or Georgia Tech (doesn't matter which)

Fiesta: Boise St. vs. Oklahoma or Nebraska (doesn't matter which)

Sugar: Florida or Arkansas vs. ?

See my point on this? If ND screws someone over I think it'd most likely be a 2nd SEC team, since I don't see any way the Sugar Bowl can justify an all SEC game. In a perfect world Notre Dame would fall far enough that a BCS bowl couldn't justify taking them over someone ranked 5-6 spots above them. In other words, ideally ND shouldn't even get in the BCS with two losses by 20+ points and should Rutgers win over WVU the Big East should get 2 BCS bids and the SEC would get 2 bids too.

They pretty much get screwed.

ND will be sent to the Sugar or Orange because of their drawing ability.

LSU will likely be sent to the Rose Bowl because of the 2003 split title controversy, caused by USC missing out on the Sugar Bowl in favor of LSU and Oklahoma.

Their only hopes are for ND to fall below the guidelines for a BCS At Large or Automatic Bid (unlikely) or for Louisville to be in a more favorable position for a particular At Large than LSU. (That is particularly unlikely since Rutgers would be in the Orange Bowl, meaning that Louisville would have to travel to the Sugar or Rose.)

That'd be such bullshit. I'm hoping WVU scrapes together some sort of effort and beats Rutgers.

Where exactly would LSU even go in the BCS? The only bowl that makes any sense for them is the Sugar Bowl, but the SEC champion would go to that I think. I'm still trying to figure out how a 2 loss LSU team that finished third in the SEC west is in any sort of BCS contention.

LSU would go to the BCS for a few reasons.

1. National commentators are realizing that LSU played the most hellish road schedule in college football this year. There were only four away games, but they were at Top 10 teams Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Coming off of that 2-2 is very respectable.

2. The Rose Bowl would LOVE an LSU-USC matchup because of the 2003 title controversy caused by the computers sending USC to play Michigan and LSU to play Oklahoma. Fans on BOTH sides would be clamoring for tickets to this game, even three years late.

3. #3 in the SEC West is STILL a Top 10 team, as LSU, Auburn, and Arkansas will all end the regular season there. Can't say that about #2 in the Big East.

Unless USC loses to UCLA, they're probably not going to the Rose Bowl. They did exactly what they needed to do tonight to make up ground on Michigan. LSU/Michigan doesn't have quite the sheen, though I would still expect LSU to be taken over Louisville.

I don't think ND can be sent to the Orange since isn't that supposed to be Big East vs. ACC? I don't see the room for an at large in that game.

Why would LSU go to the Rose Bowl? To play Michigan? Cause right now a goofy revenge game with USC is dubious. The only BCS game that would be dying to get LSU is the Sugar Bowl, but I can't see them playing an all SEC BCS game.

Quite honestly the BCS needs some kind of rules that forces a bowl to take the highest ranked team on an at large. Seriously, can anyone justify the BCS taking Notre Dame if they fall out of the top 10, while leaving out for instance a possible #5 or 6 U of L or a 2nd SEC team?

I don't think ND can be sent to the Orange since isn't that supposed to be Big East vs. ACC?

No. In recent years the Orange had to pick either the ACC or Big East champ but they were not required to pick both. This year the deal is they are required to take the ACC champ only. The Big East has no deal with any BCS bowl.

Okay I don't get this. Are you saying that the Big East doesn't have a flat out tie with a particular BCS game, or that the Big East won't get into the BCS regardless? This actually interests me since if U of L gets into the BCS I'd rather play someone better than Wake or Ga Tech.

If the Orange Bowl takes ND as some think, where does the Big East champ go? Sugar?

BCS conference teams that are bowl eligible but not guarenteed a bowl:

Alabama

Arizona

Kansas

Oklahoma State

Pittsburgh

UCLA

Washington State

UCLA does have one more game but even assuming they lose to USC they are a near lock to be grabbed by the Hawaii Bowl over Wazzu and U of A. Alabama and Pittsburgh need a second team in the BCS from their conference to grab a their last conference bid which after this week it does appear it will be the SEC that picks up an at-large. The Texas Bowl is likely going to pick Oklahoma State over Kansas for the final Big XII spot. Note even for open bids (Poinsettia, Motor City) a 6-6 team can not be picked over a 7-5 team. Western Michigan and Middle Tennessee will be the benefits of this.

Okay I don't get this. Are you saying that the Big East doesn't have a flat out tie with a particular BCS game, or that the Big East won't get into the BCS regardless? This actually interests me since if U of L gets into the BCS I'd rather play someone better than Wake or Ga Tech.

If the Orange Bowl takes ND as some think, where does the Big East champ go? Sugar?

The Big East champ of course goes to a BCS bowl but no bowl is required to take them if they are available. The Rose Bowl has to take the Pac-10 and/or Big Ten champ if they are available. The Orange Bowl has to take the ACC champ if they are available. The Fiesta Bowl has to take the Big XII champ if they are available. The Sugar Bowl has to take the SEC champ if they are available. The Big East champ is like an automatic at large team, like Boise State this year. They have to go a BCS bowl but they can end up in any bowl.

Guest Princess Leena

Probably not.

I believe the bowl selections go Sugar (SEC Winner), Orange (ACC Winner), Fiesta (Big 12 Winner), Sugar, Orange, Fiesta.

Boise St. will probably be selected last, and go to the Fiesta.

Highly probable the Big East winner goes to the Orange.

Nope, Navy has the Tire Bowl bid. Gator Bowl gets the runner-up, unless they use their once-in-four-years exception to take a Big XII team. After that, you get into lovely games like...the Insight Bowl and the Texas Bowl, whichever one that is.

Edit: Edwin beat me to it.

No it will be the Sun Bowl. Navy grabbed the Big East's spot in the Car Care Bowl. The Gator Bowl is very likely going to pass on the Big East and exercise their option to make the #2 choice in the Big XII especially now since Texas has fallen into their laps. Because of that the Sun Bowl's Big XII bid becomes a Big East bid.

There will be a test on all of this later.

Welcome to a BCS conference, Cabbageboy. :P

BTW, this isn't the LSU fan in me being a dick, it's the Southern Miss alum in me being a dick.

Well the Boise St. players were eating Tostito's chips after the game.

Middle Tennessee will be the benefit of this.

That's awesome. Possibly two teams from the Sun Belt bowl games.

I'd be much more of a Hawai'i homer if the school would actually show the games on their broadcast channel here - instead, they moved all of the home games save Oregon State (and some road games) to pay-per-view, at TWENTY-NINE DOLLARS per game. Fuck that.

21-20 Purdue with a whole fourth quarter to go.

Well the Boise St. players were eating Tostito's chips after the game.

No doubt because they're delicious