TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO Survivor Series Thread - November/26th/2006.

according to most news site and their reviews of the show, it seems like the only matches to get good reviews were the SD singles matches and Lita/Mickie..

..yeah. Who the hell booked the 10-man matches???

according to most news site and their reviews of the show, it seems like the only matches to get good reviews were the SD singles matches and Lita/Mickie..

..yeah. Who the hell booked the 10-man matches???

Looked like a Gerwirtz production there. Hayes likely booked the SD matches which werent bad in the structure except for the brain dead booking with Taker and Kennedy.

I was hoping HHH desire for a great wrestling match would defeat his joy of burials but I was wrong.

Quick hits:

It's sad that Flair was the only legend that got any sort of real pop.

There is something special about Mickie James. At WrestleMania she put on a memorable performance and tonight she probably has the best one showing at the PPV.

The less said about the DX/RKO match the better. The reaction to Punk was the best, though

First Blood was ok, but uneventful.

Show/Cena SS match was embarrassing.

Booker/Batista was boring.

I just noticed...

MR KENNEDY~ (Kennedy) was the only heel to actually win his match, and even that was tainted by the after-party.

Every other match was won by the Face... Batista, Team Cena, Team DX, Benoit, Mickie James, Team Flair...at the very least they could have given a win to the Squad (maybe in the same fashion as the Harts/Knights, with Kenny being the only Squad guy eliminated, then him coming back and flipping out) and Chavo getting the US title for a few weeks or something.

When Chavo and Lita are involved in the co-matches of the night on a "Big 4" PPV, there is a problem.

Where to begin?

The most anticipated main event type match is a SQUASH. A SQUASH.

They should have named Survivor Series "Babyfaces on Parade".

Lita/Mickie was actually pretty good, eons better than their Cyber Sunday match with some nice false finishes.

Stick a fork in RVD.

Chavo actually worked harder and looked good, decent little match with Benoit.

Lashley and Batista are this decade's Diesel and Ahmed. Welcome to the new generation all over again of big powerhouses who blow.

Why didn't they just book MVP Vs. Undertaker and save Kennedy from his accidental involvement in the match and subsequent destruction?

Hey JHawk, so much for tradition. Would they go your route and do 12 min. and 25-30 min. SS matches? Would they go my route and give two long matches? Somewhere in the middle? Nope. They gave both the fun, good workers and lumbering oafs very short, unentertaining matches. Like bad Raw main events, they were.

So much for Orton's cool little streak.

The Cryme Tyme thing was neat but dragged.

Survivor Series gets an "F", November was a huge trainwreck for WWE PPVs coming off a nice No Mercy show.

Aero said: "Couldn't sit through SummerSlam, Unforgiven, or Cyber Sunday."

You missed two **** matches at No Mercy and Regal stealing the show.

Yeah I didn't much care for the show tonight and most of it was due to the insanely rushed nature of the eliminations. In a really good Survivor Series these things take 30 mins. or so. I guess it was amusing to see Team RKO get trashed, but it didn't make for much of a match.

And it sucked that RVD and Sabu basically went out like chumps in Philly.

I'm watching the replay and it's at the DX/RKO match and the start of the match looked like it had such great promise with a HOT crowd and a fast start.

I did like Shawn asking the team "Who was that?" after beating Knox, Punk being over and actually getting decent ring time but I think we'll look at this match as a huge wasted opportunity like we do for the 2000 KOTR tournament.

I still cant believe that Smackdown has the main event match of a co brand PPV..

SD main evented the Rumble PPV.

The Rumble Match itself was the ME.

So no..

No. Henry and Angle main evented. Undertaker came out and blew the ring up. Mysterio won in the mid-card.

I distinctly remember Undertaker coming out with a white horse and blowing it (the ring, that is) up.

Henry vs. Angle was the final match on the RR '06 show. It was the first time since 1998 (HBK vs. UT) that the Rumble match didn't close the show. The show ended with UT coming out on a chariot and blowing the ring up while Angle was in it.

How was RVD and Sabu booked badly tonight? The both got pinfalls and weren't squashed. Someone care to explain that one.

How was RVD and Sabu booked badly tonight? The both got pinfalls and weren't squashed. Someone care to explain that one.

They didn't really do anything other than enter the match, hit a move, get a pinfall, get hit by a move and get eliminated. Not very good booking, considering that's 1/3 of the main event for NEXT WEEK'S PPV getting eliminated within 45 seconds of one another.

RVD got a flash 5* pin on MVP after Kane did the damage, Sabu also got a flash pin on Test. They were tossed aside for Lashley and Cena to be the stars. Hell, that was probably 8th on the list of moronic booking moves. Not so much for Sabu but for RVD.

Although I dug the show a lot more than most it seems, I think it made sense most of the time. Pretty much all the faces going over? That was once the WWE MO on the big 4. WM and SS especially. Plus this may be a way to repay and reward some of the Philly crowd for the South Philly Screwjob. Don't want to completely alienate a big market.

Highlights of the show:

Flair being the sole suvivor.

Benoit/Chavo had a good set-up to build to future rematches. Lots of spots to build off of on that one.

Cryme Tyme selling Lita's shit was priceless. We all knew Lita was going out on her back but damn I didn't see this coming at all. Nice little vignette to set it up and then actually getting money from fans that didn't seem to be plants had me rollin. The match was good as well, Lita's counter to Mickie's corner huracanrana was really nice especially. The great crowd reactions didn't hurt either.

The HHH/Punk add-lib was cool. HBK kicking Knoxx, asking if the bell rung and then asking who he was after he pinned him was great. The Trips/HBK bit with Kelly Kelly and HBK posing with Melina had me dying too. I thought they might make more of Orton's sole suvivor streak but they didn't even mention it. I guess they decided that jobbing Punk or someone from DX, to get it to 2 on 1 which would make it seem like Orton actually had a shot would be too much trouble so they might as well just keep all the faces strong.

Kennedy/Taker had an interesting take on the first blood stip. It probably didn't translate as well live but Taker going after internal injuries to make him cough up blood was neat. The vasoline on Ken's forehead, plus taking off the turnbuckle pads and his introduction being so serious. The commentary about how many World champs Kennedy's beaten this year and even the MVP interference to prolong/end the match. And it had an oldschool brawl feel, with a TOP ROPE Superplex added in. When's the last time we've seen one of those, much less from Taker! Then cap it all off with that stiff chair shot and beatdown! The little things in this match were all handled extremely well and I think everyone came out of this looking good. Whoever game planned it, be it Hayes or a road agent or Taker/Kennedy themselves really put a lot of thought into it.

Cena catching the little bastard had me chuckling. And John got his boos, but turn the crowd back to his favor with his insta-pop spot. I hadn't really thought about it until now but whenever Cena is dealing with a hostile crowd, his salute goes to three fingers like they should read between the lines! That's pretty inventive. FUing Show will always get my respect no matter how many times he does it. Much like his last two traditional Survivor Series matches Cena ends up a sole suvivor after FUing the Big Show.

And the show finishes with Batista completing his long road back to the World Title he never lost. If you want to send the fans home happy in theory, this was how WWE was going to do it. The only thing that didn't quite make sense if this was the case, was how they handled RVD. Sabu, wasn't projected to be the face of ECW, but I guess RVD's drug stop really soured Vince on him. I guess Lashley really is winning the title.

Could it have been better. Definitely. I would have liked Orton to make the DX/RKO match more dramatic going into the finish and maybe they could have cut Batista/Booker & Team Cena/Team Show down by a few minutes to give that match more time. Bats win was not a big moment like they attempted to make it with him resorting cheating to win. I can see why some people might not like it, still, thumbs up from me, although I tend to look for the positives.

Despite the moronic booking for almost every match, I was entertained for most of the show. The most disappointing thing was that Team Rated RKO were squashed. That match should have gone for a good half-hour with a huge desperation finish pulled out of nowhere by Punk or Orton.

I can't believe people here thought that Lita/Mickie was good. It was fucking horrible. It was sloppy and had absolutely no flow. Lita's strikes looked like shit as usual. The highlights of the match was Lita not fucking up her moonsault for once, and the crowd.

Nothing on the show was very good. Granted, I didn't catch the first two matches, so Benoit and Chavo was probably solid, I'm assuming. I guess the DX/RKO match was fun, but not really good. Batista looked like a rookie out there. Bah, bad PPV.

The ending of the Taker and Kennedy match does not really sound that good. I would have liked for them to put over Kennedy strong if he was going to win. He seems like the future of Smackdown right now.

MVP in with a chair. Ref fights with him over it. JBL and Cole claim MVP has the chair to hit Kennedy. Ref gets bumped to the ground, MVP turns around swinging the chair and hits Taker.

MVP hit an okay chairshot, with Taker having both hands up way in advance, and the chair clearly hitting the hands. Taker gushed blood. Ref sees it. Match over. WHAT A FINISH...awful as it sounds.

I have no idea why they'd even tease MVP v. Kennedy, as Cole said "I'm not sure Undertaker was MVP's target there!" MVP is nowhere near over enough to help Kennedy get face heat and sustain it.

Oh, and anyone who actually saw the show...

How AWESOME was Taker's chairshot post-match on Kennedy!!??

Wow, Kennedy took it full on, and the flat part of the seat actually folded and Kennedy's head pushed through it. Taker swung it so hard, too.

The show was okay IMO. Everything else noteworthy has already been stated.

I thought they might make more of Orton's sole suvivor streak but they didn't even mention it

I forgot which match it was, but IIRC Michael Cole mentioned Orton being the sole survivor for the past three years. I was hoping Orton would make a break for it and take a count-out loss for his team, but they caught him and he got his ass kicked instead.

They didn't really do anything other than enter the match, hit a move, get a pinfall, get hit by a move and get eliminated. Not very good booking, considering that's 1/3 of the main event for NEXT WEEK'S PPV getting eliminated within 45 seconds of one another.

ok, but to say "Stick in a fork in RVD" or something about that on Sabu is just the wrong kind of thing to say about them. Hell its not like they were the only two who were booked badly tonight.

"Hawk is obligated to say that a women's match involving Mickie was the highlight of the show."

Hawk is right, though, he's not being a smartass. The women's match was the co-best match on the show. It was decent-good, with weak "punches" but great transitions, false finishes, and execution. I give that and the U.S. Title match both ** 1/2. Best matches on the show.

Dunno about Cole, but Jim Ross, VERY quickly during the DX match, mentioned that Orton had survived the past three years.

"ok, but to say 'Stick in a fork in RVD'..."

Read the points I have prepared and see if you change your mind, Scroby.

It deals with how RVD's credibility and interest have been destroyed since July 4th.

- Rob Van Dam was a very popular holder of both the WWE and ECW World Titles.

- He lost both titles on consecutive live television broadcasts.

- ECW celebrated its return to Philadelphia by jobbing RVD to THE BIG SHOW.

- RVD was not seen on TV for a month.

- He comes back and HE IS LEFT OFF OF SUMMERSLAM.

- RVD then gets into a feud with HARDCORE HOLLY, proven ratings nightmare.

- The big "RVD Vs. Show" rematch is seen on ECW TV on back-to-back weeks, drawing in no new viewers and setting up ANOTHER rematch. By the way, perhaps due to Show's injured state, BOTH MATCHES ARE AWFUL. That screams "I'll pay to see it again!"

- So the story in ECW is "Okay RVD, you got your title match." What does WWE do? GIVES 4 OTHER PEOPLE A TITLE SHOT, TOO! Such faith in RVD as a draw!

- CM Punk is put with DX and given a big rub in Philadelphia.

- Lashley is brought to ECW and subsequently bulldozes through Show and Holly in 1 week...damn, that RVD needed months to get the best of them!

- RVD comes back to Philly...

AND GETS PINNED BY FUCKING TEST CLEANLY.

"Hell its not like they were the only two who were booked badly tonight."

Other wrestlers' storylines doesn't change the fact that Van Dam continues to be jostled down the card in ECW and he is booked badly tonight. The emotional payoff for the Philly fans was non-existant after the July 4th bullshit that probably killed 1/2 of Philly's ECW viewership. Now I'm hoping that RVD *doesn't* get the belt at the PPV in a week, just because it'll hurt the company, being that the marks now see RVD as the #3 babyface and the smarks don't see any competition for Van Dam outside of the terrible Test, Holly, Knox, and Show.

Live report from someone else @ CZW site, 7th row hard camera:

"That was me! I had a Vince Fears Necro! sign. They took it 1 or 2 matches into it. I asked why, he said nothing. I responded by saying it was about Katie Vick and HHH and it almost worked. Then he said no and asked me if I wanted to make something out of it. My friend had a Bring Back Machoman Randy Savage sign. They took that also and that really baffles me, because before the show they played a video with him all over it and I believe the Survivor Series opening video had him in it. Then I was chanting Fuck You Cena, like about 1/2 crowd. This security lady came up to me and said stop cursing there are kids. I said I'm sorry, then I thought about it, there was a DILDO in the ring tonight. I asked her if that was appropriate for kids she got really mad at that point and told me to keep quiet. Security was really fired up tonight. They must of taken at least 20 signs at ringside and had talkings to a lot of people for random things. That's a lot worse than they where at Raw over the summer and that on regular TV."