TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
10 Pounds

Stipulations that were respected

Everyone knows that stipulations in wrestling, whether it's retirements or to "forever" not being able to have a shot at a title, don't mean jack. However, there must be a few cases where the stipulation held up. One I have in mind is the Goldberg vs Luger/Bagwell in 2001 where Goldberg lost and was never seen again in WCW. Even though he would have been back if WCW wasn't sold, we haven't seen him for the following final months.

Gimmick matches, like hair vs hair, don't count.

When Mr. Perfect beat Flair in a loser leaves the WWF match on RAW back in '93 Flair was gone for a good 8 years.

I thought it would have been funny when Mr. Perfect came back a few years ago that he would bring it up to Flair that he shouldn't be allowed in the fed.

In turn, Sullivan never wrestled in WCW after losing a retirement match to Benoit.

He wrestled as part of The Varsity Club at Sarrcade in 1999. But it was long enough that, for wrestling, he adhered to the stipulation.

When Randy Anderson had to beat Nick Patrick or he would be fired. Something like that. But I think Randy was preparing his battle with cancer and wasn't going to return anyway. I could be wrong though.

And again I could be wrong, but I think since they added the stipulation to the Royal Rumble that the winner gets a title shot at Wrestlemania, it has been honored.

King Kong Bundy losing a hair match in WCCW is one of the few that were respected. Then again when you get a tub of Nair on your head for losing you kind of expect it to never grow back :) besides the Brady Bunch perm was not a good look for him.

King Kong Bundy losing a hair match in WCCW is one of the few that were respected. Then again when you get a tub of Nair on your head for losing you kind of expect it to never grow back :) besides the Brady Bunch perm was not a good look for him.

Kurt Angle against Edge was another one. He still hasn't grown it back; he probably figured out that it suited his character better. He looked less goofy.

And again I could be wrong, but I think since they added the stipulation to the Royal Rumble that the winner gets a title shot at Wrestlemania, it has been honored.

Indeed, but its slightly changed.

Before it was a guarantee main event title match at Wrestlemania.

Now its just a title shot.

Pretty much any fed vs fed type match...USWA killing off WCCW was pretty much permanent. Vince McMahon beating Ric Flair to control all of WWE would be similar.

They've put that title shot on the line a couple of times at the February PPV these past few years. Vince won the RR and didn't go on to WM for the title.

Stephanie losing that I Quit match to Vince at No Mercy 2003 and having to leave lasted MUCH longer than probably what anyone thought it would. I may be wrong, but I think the first time we saw her after that was when she returned to the Raw Homecoming as a heel and then a couple of appearances in the McMahon-HBK feud earlier this year.

Stephanie losing that I Quit match to Vince at No Mercy 2003 and having to leave lasted MUCH longer than probably what anyone thought it would. I may be wrong, but I think the first time we saw her after that was when she returned to the Raw Homecoming as a heel and then a couple of appearances in the McMahon-HBK feud earlier this year.

There was taped promo she did for Smackdown's fifth anniversery show, but in terms of live appearances, yes homecoming was her return.

Triple X lost the Six Sides of Steel against AMW at Turning Point '04 and were forced to disband. They haven't teamed in TNA since.

TWO months later, thank you very much.

According to a piece of business I saw on 24/7, Guido and Mamaluke lost a "losers can't team up again" match to Doring and Roadkill in December 2000. I assume that stipulation was kept until 2006 since ECW closed a month later.

Austin (or Bret, the "rightful" winner of the 97 Rumble) also did not receive a Mania title match. That one is a bit iffy due to the title match at IYH Final Four.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Lex Luger ever received a world title shot after SummerSlam 93 until earning one last shot at WrestleMania X, then again never getting one.

According to a piece of business I saw on 24/7, Guido and Mamaluke lost a "losers can't team up again" match to Doring and Roadkill in December 2000. I assume that stipulation was kept until 2006 since ECW closed a month later.

IIRC, that stip only applied to Doring/Roadkill. In Aug of 2000, the FBI put their tag team career on the line when they ended up defeating Mikey/Tajiri at the Hammerstein for the tag titles.

IIRC, that stip only applied to Doring/Roadkill.

It must have been (though I don't remember the stip at all). Guido and Mamaluke fought at Guilty as Charged '01 less than a month later.

When Randy Anderson had to beat Nick Patrick or he would be fired. Something like that. But I think Randy was preparing his battle with cancer and wasn't going to return anyway. I could be wrong though.

no it wasnt actually. When eric was suspended on air by the president of Turner Sports, JJ Dillon was hired as the new commisnoner and he rehired randy IIRC. this took place about 2 months after Bischoff fired him. Then he kinda dissapeared a little later and reappeared when Ric Flair won the president title from bischoff on the last nitro of 98, he rehired randy (and was acting as though randy hadnt been around since being fired by bischoff in jan 97, which wasnt the case) this has always bugged me as a case of WCW blatanly having a huge continuity error. my answer is supported by the fact that I still have my copy of wcw vs nwo world tour for the n64 and on the box you can see rany reffing at uncensored 97 (2 months aftre eric fired him)

still the whole firing thing was great for Eric pretending to be moved and saying to Andersons kids "Tell your dad he's still fired!"

foley lost the HIAC to HHH in feb 00 and apart from his wm 2000 match stayed out of the ring until wm 20 in 2004 (if his brief appearance in the 04 rumble doesnt count I guess)

remember when nash lost a retirement match to Hogan at Road Wild 99 and returned in like sept

marc mero lost a loser leaves wwf match in late 98 and has never returned to the wwf/e since and only has a brief TNA stint as Johnny B Badd to his credit in the past 8 years

marc mero lost a loser leaves wwf match in late 98 and has never returned to the wwf/e since and only has a brief TNA stint as Johnny B Badd to his credit in the past 8 years

When? I remember him being gone by 99, but I don't remember a LLT match at all. I remember Sable/Mero at OTE 98, (which, albeit with an asterisk, fits the topic title pretty nicely), but never one in which Marc lost...He was around for, hmm...Brawl for All, Six Way match on Raw in Sept....Yeah, that's the last I remember him was September 98....fill me in?

Mero was about to face Duane Gill, and made the promise before the match began that he would leave the WWF if he lost... he lost after interference from the JOB Squad.

He did have one last match at the Capital Carnage UK-only PPV. JR said that he was just fulfilling contract obligations.

He also briefly showed up in WCW in 2000 for an ep of Thunder. I remember he got into a fight with someone and they played his old Johnny B Badd music.

In December 1998, "Marvelous" Marc Mero announced on Raw that if he could not defeat Duane Gill, who had just joined Al Snow's JOB Squad, he would leave the WWF.

Gill defeated Mero after interference from The Blue Meanie, making his WWF debut.

==========

The guy Mero got into it with on Thunder was Tank Abbott. Nothing ever came of it.

He also briefly showed up in WCW in 2000 for an ep of Thunder. I remember he got into a fight with someone and they played his old Johnny B Badd music.

yea forgot to add that thanx, man was that random or what? just like sable showing up in the crowd on nitro shorlty after leaving wwf