TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON News + Notes, 4th December Issue

Joe/Angles at Genesis was booked to go 25m, but Angle was told he could go 30m if he thought it would make the match better. Angle hasn't given anyone a reason as to why he went home go early, but the feeling is that he just isn't in good enough shape to go for 25m.

The internal reaction to Genesis was mixed. They felt that they really needed a blow out show to take advantage of the new viewers they hoped they'd have buying the show. There was disappointment over both the LAX vs AMW match and the Shelley and Starr vs Hoyt and Killings matches inparticular. The main event disappointed a lot of people, but that was time issue rather than the quality of what was done, and there's unhappiness over Sting vs Abyss reaction, but that's being blamed on the botched finish. The DQ was supposed to be for Sting throwing Rudy Charles into the barbed wire table, but instead Charles called for the bell after he was thrown to the floor. They were very surprised with the reaction stripping LAX of the titles got.

Spike and TNA are closer than ever following the 1.0 rating for the special. The rating was proof to Spike that TNA can attract new viewers to the station. Spike were obviously aware that the good rating TNA had gotten at 11pm were due to the UFC lead in, but at 9pm there have no build up lead-in audience, as CSI at 8pm is mainly watched by older women, who straight away switch to CBS to watch up to date CSI shows. It's gotten to the point where if they were to go two hours every week Spike would move Ulimate Fighters off Thursdays to another day of the week.

The company is hopeful it's problems with The Dish Network will be sorted out by 12/10. They only get around 4% of their buys from TDN so it's no a huge issue for them, but obviously one they would rather get sorted as soon as possible.

Konnan is getting his hip replaced after the 12/10 PPV.

The TNA show in Monterrey was the largest crowd and gate ever drew for a TNA show, despite only 4,200 or so fans being inside the 14,000 seat arena. The most over guys on the card with the Mexican fans (apart from Konnan and Cibernetico) were Angle, Jarrett and Ron Killings. For some reason there was no TNA merchandise for sale at the event. LAX at the show consisted of Hernandez and Shenshi as Homicide was booked for ROH. They have planned a TNA vs AAA show for May. TNA were charging $100 for ringside tickets, with is less than the WWE charges in Mexico ($160) but far more than CMLL charges ($36.35).

The plan is to do as many PPV's from outside Orlando as possible next year. They are desperate to do a border town - ideally Laredo, but that would have to be untill April as there is a WWE house show there in January and the WWE insist that buildings they use don't have any other wrestling shows two months before or after their own. The desire for a border town show comes from wanting a Candanian Stampede type atmostphere with LAX taking the place of the Hart Foundation.

Abyss with defend his 1PW title against Runt at the TNA show in Portgual on 1/5.

The general concensus, especailly from X Divison guys, is very negative regarding the current direction and Vince Russo. The reaction to Angle has changed greatly as well. Angle is being very hands on with everyone, talking to everyone about their promo's and matches, which isn't really a bad thing but he's rubbing everyone up the wrong way by constantly telling people backstage he's the greatest wrestler of all time. He's also telling people that he'll be running the company soon enough. Jarrett is still sticking up for Angle 100% as you'd expect.

Scott Steiner isn't even mentioned by anyone backstage anymore, so you've probably seen the last of him.

Raven's new flock will not be called The Movement, but rather will be known as Serotonin.

TNA were fined $225 after the fire that took place on 8/13.S

Spike and TNA are closer than ever following the 1.0 rating for the special. The rating was proof to Spike that TNA can attract new viewers to the station. Spike were obviously aware that the good rating TNA had gotten at 11pm were due to the UFC lead in, but at 9pm there have no build up lead-in audience, as CSI at 8pm is mainly watched by older women, who straight away switch to CBS to watch up to date CSI shows. It's gotten to the point where if they were to go two hours every week Spike would move Ulimate Fighters off Thursdays to another day of the week.

I was thinking that the first rating shows there wasn't as much UFC crossover to TNA's audience as people though, as the people watching most likely tuned in at 8:59 or whatever. It wasn't a blowaway rating by any stretch, but it was still an important point for TNA to prove and obviously Spike's pay attention. I'm wondering how long it will be before they get the extra hour. They seem to get a better deal with Spike every six months or so, so maybe around LockDown?

The TNA show in Monterrey was the largest crowd and gate ever drew for a TNA show, despite only 4,200 or so fans being inside the 14,000 seat arena. The most over guys on the card with the Mexican fans (apart from Konnan and Cibernetico) were Angle, Jarrett and Ron Killings. For some reason there was no TNA merchandise for sale at the event. LAX at the show consisted of Hernandez and Shenshi as Homicide was booked for ROH. They have planned a TNA vs AAA show for May. TNA were charging $100 for ringside tickets, with is less than the WWE charges in Mexico ($160) but far more than CMLL charges ($36.35).

The plan is to do as many PPV's from outside Orlando as possible next year. They are desperate to do a border town - ideally Laredo, but that would have to be untill April as there is a WWE house show there in January and the WWE insist that buildings they use don't have any other wrestling shows two months before or after their own. The desire for a border town show comes from wanting a Candanian Stampede type atmostphere with LAX taking the place of the Hart Foundation.

It's about time they got serious about taking the PPVs on the road regularly. I think they need to at least do the big shows from new locations, to make them feel special. BFG didn't feel like anything they've ever produced, just because they were in front of new fans. I'm digging the faux-Canadian Stampede idea with LAX too. Put them in the main event across from Kurt Angle and almost anybody and book it! Hell, if they could find a smaller arena in Monterrey, I'd say have the show in Mexico. 4,200 is not much more than they drew for BFG, and that crowd looked huge just because I'd gotten so used to seeing them in front of 900 people.

Thanks for posting these!

Serotonin is released when you take ecstacy and makes you feel gooooood.

And when i think of Raven i think about feeling gooooood . . . . :huh:

Serotonin is also released when you take magic mushrooms and many other psychadellic drugs. I wonder if the group will start working their matches while high? :huh:

Also - Serotonin sounds more like a finisher than a group name.

That's a terrible name for a group. It's also hard to spell. Can't wait to see gothy looking kids holding up signs saying "Saratonen Rulz!" and such at Impact tapings!

That's a terrible name for a group. It's also hard to spell. Can't wait to see gothy looking kids holding up signs saying "Saratonen Rulz!" and such at Impact tapings!

Since TNA is WWF 1998, improper spelling will be provided by TNA.

Fuck... and here I was hoping it was going to be in Hidalgo. (I live in Brownsville, which is just a 2hr drive from here...)

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

For some reason there was no TNA merchandise for sale at the event.

That's really Bush league.

The reaction to Angle has changed greatly as well. Angle is being very hands on with everyone, talking to everyone about their promo's and matches, which isn't really a bad thing but he's rubbing everyone up the wrong way by constantly telling people backstage he's the greatest wrestler of all time. He's also telling people that he'll be running the company soon enough. Jarrett is still sticking up for Angle 100% as you'd expect.

This is not going to end well.

Guest Franchise
Scott Steiner isn't even mentioned by anyone backstage anymore, so you've probably seen the last of him.

Too bad. Although he can't wrestle close to how he used to I felt TNA used him well especially in getting Joe over.

Thanks Decemberists.

I was amazed as to why Angle thinks he's going to end up running the company. Let's face it, Jarrett is a vastly superior backstage politician and if it really came down to it he would have Dixie Carter on his side. All Jarrett would have to do is rail against Angle and say he's a washed up hasbeen and has alienated most of the roster. And from the way it sounds, he'd likely be right.

I can see the young guys listening to Angle's "advice" but it'd be amusing to see what happens if Angle lectures some of the veteran guys on how to work.

I was amazed as to why Angle thinks he's going to end up running the company. Let's face it, Jarrett is a vastly superior backstage politician and if it really came down to it he would have Dixie Carter on his side. All Jarrett would have to do is rail against Angle and say he's a washed up hasbeen and has alienated most of the roster. And from the way it sounds, he'd likely be right.

I can see the young guys listening to Angle's "advice" but it'd be amusing to see what happens if Angle lectures some of the veteran guys on how to work.

Yeah, like Nash.

rhodes_dusty.jpg

"Some pol-i-tickin' is a brewin' 'ere, Tony!"

Guest Untitled
Has he ever actually wrestled in TNA ?

Has Nash ever actually wrestled competently?

Joe/Angles at Genesis was booked to go 25m, but Angle was told he could go 30m if he thought it would make the match better. Angle hasn't given anyone a reason as to why he went home go early, but the feeling is that he just isn't in good enough shape to go for 25m.
So much for the theory of them booking it to "Save it for the rematch" - once again Angle called it early.

he ain't 100% physically despite what he'd want us to believe

Bill Goldberg?

If the question is has Nash ever wrestled a good match against Goldberg? If so, the answer is probably eh. I wouldn't call any of their matches good but (and call me crazy for this) I thought their match at Starcade '98 was watchable until the crap finish.

Besides, Goldberg totally walked out on their triple threat match with Scott Steiner at New Blood Rising and Nash and Steiner had to improvise a finish!

Speaking of Nash, I'm surprised at how well behaved he has been recently in TNA. I haven't heard much backstage hubub about him at all in like six months.

Speaking of Nash, I'm surprised at how well behaved he has been recently in TNA. I haven't heard much backstage hubub about him at all in like six months.

Well besides him killing the X division then refusing to put over the guy meant to get over, Chris Sabin, yeah.

Instead of adding an hour to the show, wouldnt it be better to have another hour of programming on another night to try and get the word out?

It would at least improve the perception that they're a bigger company than they are. I'm just thinking that going 2 hours fulltime isnt going to mean as much as they think in the long run.

I dont know the logistics of adding another night. They would still tape to air later but I dont watch Spike besides tna and ufc, I figured all they air is movies and replays, so what could it hurt?

Guest Untitled

That could actually work.

Split the shows so that one features the heavyweights and the main event brawls. Have the other one feature the X-Division. Have the tag champs alternate.

You'd get one 'wrestling' show, and one 'sports entertainment' show.

All of this ideas are nice, but they won't mean anything unless Russo and company change the idea that they have to pack two hours of stuff into a one hour show. Cosmetic changes such as these look good but they'll be meaningless unless the underlying problems are corrected.

I do agree with you there HTQ, but did anyone else feel that they didnt do enough in last thursdays show? it might just be me, but i thought it was really slow.

...but did anyone else feel that they didnt do enough in last thursdays show? it might just be me, but i thought it was really slow.

You must have a terrible attention span to think Impact was slow and they didn't do enough. Seriously. Impacts biggest flaw has been they never let anything sink in. A match or angle has barely finished and they're already into the next angle, before anything get's a chance to register.

The only things that seemed rushed on that show was the LAX beat downs.

The abyss/Sting angle drew out too long, and even the cage and tomko bit at the start seemed to go on for ages.