TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON News + Notes, 4th December Issue

Didn't Flair just marry her like 7 months ago? And she's getting THAT much?

No Flair's been married to her for years and Beth is his second wife. It's been said that Beth only stayed with Flair for the money and they been sleeping in separate bedrooms for years.

Flair's own wife wasn't riding on space mountain? Shocking!

No but, from what Beth said when her friends were around he would show it to them and offer them a ride on it.

Jim Ross signed a a one-year contract, rather than the standard three-year deal with a two year company option. Ross was coming off a ten-year contract negotiated in 1996. After all the attemptst to replace him over the past year they seem to be admitting they've not been able to find anyone, but are not committed to JR is anything other than short term.

Seriously, is it that hard to find an announcer?? I'm not saying it's an easy job, but there's gotta be someone in america who went to broadcasting school and knows very little about wrestling.

For what their pay is rumoured to be for all the travel and other crap they'd have to put up with, it actually doesn't surprise me at all that WWE can't find someone else.

That and that it's not looked as a strong point on a resume.

Afterward Cryme Tyme came out and sold Lita's bra, panties, vibrator, an empty box of Monistat (for yeast infections). It ended with a big empty box called "Lita's Box". Went on for faaaaaaaaaaaaar too long and wasn't funny.

Oh, so it was just like every other attempt at comedy by the WWE.

To be fair, some of the Austin/Angle stuff from a few years ago was pretty funny.

It doesn't work if you have to go back in time to like five years ago to find good stuff.

Is it wrong of me to want a link to Lita's myspace blog and compare it to the Lindsay Lohan Robert Altman condolence note?

Was it really that bad? Cause that note was borderline retarded.

I don't know how bad the myspace rant was. Anyone have a link? It seems to me that content-wise it would be up there or at least on par with most of the myspace blogs out there which are borderline retarded (My cousin's are a good example).

They have hired Brian Friedman and Nick Florez, two choreographers to set up new individualistic ring entrances for the women.

oh....boy....

spiritfingers.jpg

Mikey & Johnny's new gimmick SPIRIT FINGERS!

Afterward Cryme Tyme came out and sold Lita's bra, panties, vibrator, an empty box of Monistat (for yeast infections). It ended with a big empty box called "Lita's Box". Went on for faaaaaaaaaaaaar too long and wasn't funny.

To be fair, some of the Austin/Angle stuff from a few years ago was pretty funny.

Yeah, they wore cowboy hats for Christ sake.

Guest netslob

Yeah, they wore cowboy hats for Christ sake.

"I'm an American hero."

"Your a jackass."

"Hero."

"Jackass"

"Hero!"

"Jackass!"

"HERO!"

"JACKASS!"

"DUCK SEASON!"

"WABBIT SEASON!"

Does Lita not understand kayfabe? When you're a face, you get a friendly, celebrated exit because the crowd loves you. When you're a heel, you get the bitch exit because it makes no sense kayfabe-wise to do a mushy celebration for a character most of the crowd hates. You should get the bitch exit if you're a heel no matter how good you are (See: Chris Jericho). You can come back later for the mushy stuff.

Even though she got bigger TV time out of it, I think she just didn't enjoy her heel role in the first place (whereas Jericho eats that stuff up). Dave goes into it a little bit in the Observer:

Dumas said she decided in the summer of 2005, when the whole affair with Edge and break-up with Matt Hardy became public news, that she was going to leave the company when her contract expired. She was never happy with the angle of being linked with Edge and didn't like being harassed in public and the type of hate mail and negative things written about her personally. The irony was the angle gave her a main event level run and kept her in the spotlight this past year after a cartoonish angle with Kane that nobody bought.

Dumas said she decided in the summer of 2005, when the whole affair with Edge and break-up with Matt Hardy became public news, that she was going to leave the company when her contract expired. She was never happy with the angle of being linked with Edge and didn't like being harassed in public and the type of hate mail and negative things written about her personally.

She probably didn't think of that when she was banging her married best friend while her boyfriend of the time was at home recovering from surgery.

"I'm an American hero."

"Your a jackass."

"Hero."

"Jackass"

"Hero!"

"Jackass!"

"HERO!"

"JACKASS!"

"DUCK SEASON!"

"WABBIT SEASON!"

"Jimmy crack corn and i dont care, Jimmy crack corn and i dont care, Jimmy crack corn and i dont caaaaarrre, I won olympic gold!"

That Austin/Angle stuff was great.

Just a shame it made zero dollars and did nothing for either man.

Oh for the love of puddin' :rolleyes:

Could you take off those "Smark-glasses" you're wearing? Do I personally care if it made money? no - I was entertained by it. Do I care that by *your* definition it did nothing for either man? - no I was entertained by it. That's what matters to me, not if it "drew money" or "Put someone over" - my criteria is simple: Entertain me

That did, no shame in anything about it - only shame is people later on being so smarky-snarky that how much money they drew makes a difference in what they think of something.

Dumas said she decided in the summer of 2005, when the whole affair with Edge and break-up with Matt Hardy became public news, that she was going to leave the company when her contract expired. She was never happy with the angle of being linked with Edge and didn't like being harassed in public and the type of hate mail and negative things written about her personally.

She probably didn't think of that when she was banging her married best friend while her boyfriend of the time was at home recovering from surgery.

hard to feel sorry for her...

Could you take off those "Smark-glasses"you're wearing? Do I personally care if it made money? no - I was entertained by it. Do I care that by *your* definition it did nothing for either man? - no I was entertained by it. That's what matters to me, not if it "drew money" or "Put someone over" - my criteria is simple: Entertain me

That did, no shame in anything about it - only shame is people later on being so smarky-snarky that how much money they drew makes a difference in what they think of something.

I guess we don’t need to get you The Big Book of Clichés for Christmas.

I’ll quote a guy who knew a thing or two about wrestling. You might have heard of him. His name was Fred Blassie.

“Promos are made to draw money. They are not for any other reason. Anyone who does a promo for another reason is doing one for the wrong reason.”

Substitute promo for skit, and you’ve got a general idea of why I, thinking of this from a business standpoint, did not like the skit in question. As a fan, I thought it was moderately amusing. Not the funniest of skits, though it was one of WWE’s best. But putting aside what I thought as a fan and looking at the big picture, something a lot of people are unwilling to do because that would mean thinking of something other than their own enjoyment, the skit did less than nothing. It made Steve Austin look like a midcard joke, which is the exact opposite of the Austin character that draws. It made Angle look like more of a goof when he had just made strides to being a more serious character, which might have helped him draw something because goofs do not draw. If the purpose of the skit was to amuse people, then great, because it did that. Contrary to what you seem to think, I never said it was wrong to be amused by it. In fact, I was amused by it. But just because I was amused by the skit that does not mean I’m going to sit here with a smiley face and ignore that the skit did nothing in any way that could draw money or help draw money, which is the only right reason to do a promo or skit.

Guest netslob

Could you take off those "Smark-glasses" you're wearing? Do I personally care if it made money? no - I was entertained by it. Do I care that by *your* definition it did nothing for either man? - no I was entertained by it. That's what matters to me, not if it "drew money" or "Put someone over" - my criteria is simple: Entertain me

careful...he'll suspend you.

Could you take off those "Smark-glasses"you're wearing? Do I personally care if it made money? no - I was entertained by it. Do I care that by *your* definition it did nothing for either man? - no I was entertained by it. That's what matters to me, not if it "drew money" or "Put someone over" - my criteria is simple: Entertain me

I’ll quote a guy who knew a thing or two about wrestling. You might have heard of him. His name was Fred Blassie.

“Promos are made to draw money. They are not for any other reason. Anyone who does a promo for another reason is doing one for the wrong reason.”

Substitute promo for skit, and you’ve got a general idea of why I, thinking of this from a business standpoint, did not like the skit in question. As a fan, I thought it was moderately amusing. Not the funniest of skits, though it was one of WWE’s best. But putting aside what I thought as a fan and looking at the big picture, something a lot of people are unwilling to do because that would mean thinking of something other than their own enjoyment, the skit did less than nothing. It made Steve Austin look like a midcard joke, which is the exact opposite of the Austin character that draws. It made Angle look like more of a goof when he had just made strides to being a more serious character, which might have helped him draw something because goofs do not draw. If the purpose of the skit was to amuse people, then great, because it did that. Contrary to what you seem to think, I never said it was wrong to be amused by it. In fact, I was amused by it. But just because I was amused by the skit that does not mean I’m going to sit here with a smiley face and ignore that the skit did nothing in any way that could draw money or help draw money, which is the only right reason to do a promo or skit.

I'm starting to wonder if HTQ actually enjoys wrestling or just enjoys picking it apart and over analysing it.

Fred Blassie knows a thing or two about wrestling, not so much about Sports Entertainment.

And those skits occurred in July of 01 and looking at the ratings they steadily increased throughout the month and those skits were a major part of RAW. Ratings = money. I also recall the Invasion PPV doing really well that year, so that also means it drew money.

Who watches a show just to see skits? The ratings went up because of the beginning of the WWF/WCW feud. The Invasion PPV also did well because of the early buzz surrounding the feud and possibly because of the Austin face turn tease they did the week before. (At least, I assume that's the reason because Invasion had a freakin' terrible lineup. But I'm sure 600,000 people didn't spend $30 just because of some comedy skits.)

Who watches a show just to see skits? The ratings went up because of the beginning of the WWF/WCW feud. The Invasion PPV also did well because of the early buzz surrounding the feud and possibly because of the Austin face turn tease they did the week before. (At least, I assume that's the reason because Invasion had a freakin' terrible lineup. But I'm sure 600,000 people didn't spend $30 just because of some comedy skits.)

I think Invasion did a shitload more. Like 775,000. Jesus, did they ever screw themselves out of a ton of money.

I, thinking of this from a business standpoint, did not like the skit in question.
Well see that's where we differ then eh? I'm just a fan while you seem to be "in the business" - I didn't know you were in the business so deeply that it'd actually matter to you if it drew no money or if it made a billion dollars.

Se I'm just entertained by it, I don't have to sit and overanalyze it and look at the "business aspects" of everything to such an extend that it sucks the life out of everything.

(At least, I assume that's the reason because Invasion had a freakin' terrible lineup. But I'm sure 600,000 people didn't spend $30 just because of some comedy skits.)

Wasn't the highest rated segment of RAW of ALL TIME the stupid Rock/Foley This is Your Life skit?

Weren't both Austin and Angle both injured from KOTR at that point? Austin, I believe had broken his hand, and I think Angle had his tailbone broken or fractured in the match with Shane. So it may have been the writers giving both something to do until they were healed up.

Get over yourself. Who cares if the skit drew any money. Are you Vince McMahon? No.

They were funny skits to kill time while Austin and Angle were injured. The crowd loved them.