TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

How big or small

I was curious about where we all live. Also, for some bizarre reason I was curious if I lived in the smallest town out of all of us.

I currently live and teach in a town of 1,100 people. I was curious where everyone else lived at.

You know, I was suprised when I did a search to find that 3,000 people live where I do. I think they must have counted the chickens and cows. I mean, we have a post office, fire dept and a gas station and thats it. No traffic lights, which is always the sure sign of small town america.

Well, our town has a ridiculous amount of amenities for a town of 719 (according to the last census). Then again, we are a getaway destination, so a four-star hotel in our town might not be that befuddling.

The town I live in now in Long Island has 28,000 people. The town I grew up in CT had a population of 5,500. Hell, I graduated with 60 people so it was a very small town.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Have a look

I grew up in neighboring huntington, which has one high school for the entire county. Probably 18-19 thousand people there, but it's as hillbilly factory town as it gets.

20,000. Big enough for most major chains (deparment stores, fast food, etc.), but there's still not much to do here. Finally got a movie theatre in the summer after about 5 years without one, even if it is only 6 screens and doesn't seem to get much besides big budget movies.

On the plus side, Ottawa (1 hour), Montreal (2 hours) and Toronto (3-4 hours) are all within a days drive.

A little under 32,000 people.

And according to wikipedia, which I used for the information above, my current hometown "is gay".

Really? I thought Brockville was bigger than that for some reason. It seems almost comparable to Belleville, which is twice that size.

The sign says 21,000, I think, but last I heard it was down a bit from that. We're the smallest of the 'bigger' cities on the 401 once you get a few hours out of Toronto (Belleville, Kingston, Cornwall) before the Quebec border.

Really? I thought Brockville was bigger than that for some reason. It seems almost comparable to Belleville, which is twice that size.

The sign says 21,000, I think, but last I heard it was down a bit from that. We're the smallest of the 'bigger' cities on the 401 once you get a few hours out of Toronto (Belleville, Kingston, Cornwall) before the Quebec border.

I haven't really read that sign on the 401 in ages, even though I pass by it several times a year.

Sacramento. It is a big, little city. It is growing rapidly, but mostly in population and not so much jobs-wise. A lot of people are ditching their high-priced property or rental units in the bay area to come live in Sacramento and/or the outlying suburbs of Sacramento. We seem to be at the crossroads right now where the city has the space and wants to grow, while at the same not lose the smaller city appeal. One thing for sure is that we need better management in charge of our roadways and public transit system. It is horrible, and for a "smaller" city the freeways are always horribly jammed. It seems everything was built so close to highways that there is no room to widen anything.

I haven't really read that sign on the 401 in ages, even though I pass by it several times a year.

I think I give us too much credit calling Brockville a bigger city. Everyone know about Kingston and most people have heard of Belleville and Cornwall, but it's tough finding too many people from a few hours away who've heard of this place.