TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

SNL Review

SNL Review- Matthew Fox/Tenacious D

Sports Report-

Leafs- They’ve taken a step back recently, having been unable to put the puck in the net. Their schedule doesn’t get any easier, but hopefully they can continue to play above expectations.

Canucks- They’ve also been unable to score. Love it! I just feel bad for Luongo, did he make a deal with the devil or something?

Nets- Thank God they’re done playing the Western Conference for a while. Isn’t it sad that they’re under .500 yet still in first? Viva la Atlantic Division.

Saints- They’re on right now, so no comment. But the Saints are Coming.

Mailbag!!!!!-

[email protected] writes-

Hey Bob- I’ve been watching Larry King over Thanksgiving break. A few of the segments on Larry King involved OJ’s new book and possible TV special on Fox TV. On two separate occasions, Larry King brought on the families of the victims.

The father of one of the victims said that to this day he still blames Judge Ito for OJ getting off. He said that Judge Ito could’ve stopped Johnnie Cochran from using the race card, and that Judge Ito should’ve stopped the courtroom from “turning into a media circus” during the OJ trial. The father also said that the families still keep in touch with Christopher Darden.

So do you agree that Judge Ito is to blame for OJ getting off? Who do you ultimately hold responsible for the outcome of the OJ trial? Thanks, Bob. Later- Ken

I still say the DAs are to blame for OJ getting off. The bloody glove, getting the trial moved, Darden being intimidated by Cochran. Ito wasn’t a good judge, but it’s not his fault. Fred Goldman’s an idiot.

Wanna be in the mailbag??? Email me at [email protected]

And now the review...

Cold Opening

Cast- Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, Will Forte, Maya Rudolph, Kristin Wiig, Kenan Thompson

Thoughts- Apparently, Forte requested he not do Bush and hence the change was made. I don’t know why anyone would want to give up the most visible impression on the show, but Will Forte is also a fan of LA Clippers, and I don’t know why anyone would want to be a Clips fan. (Pre-last season of course). I thought this was a funny cold opening and I have no problem with Jason’s version of Bush. It’s pretty good, and not terrible like Parny and Darrell. Some really good lines from Fred here, especially talking about the security forces picnic, and asking for a telephone so they don’t get car bombed. Good stuff here and I think the colds are in good hands. ***1/2

Monologue

Cast- Matthew Fox, Bill Hader

Thoughts- Matthew shouldn’t feel too bad. Lacey Chabert and the five people who portrayed Owen also have not hosted SNL. Michelle Williams is another person who is the only person from a show not to host. I also don’t believe Shelley Long ever hosted. This was really funny, and I loved hearing Fox talk about killing people. Bill Hader’s Kramer was tremendous. It was even better then Norm’s portrayal of Michael Richards. Great, great impression. Hopefully Michael Richards will call more people niggers so we get to see Bill’s impression more. ***3/4

SaleMart

Cast- Sudeikis, Thompson, Armisen, Wiig, Poehler

Thoughts- Hey everyone, WalMart treats their workers poorly. LOL and stuff. *1/2

Nancy Grace

Cast- Fox, Poehler, Thompson

Thoughts- Holy lord, Amy’s Nancy Grace voice is the most annoying thing ever. The real Nancy Grace is not that annoying. This had its moments but Amy’s voice kept getting in the way. Also, Nancy Grace is on Headline News, so I don’t think it gets the CNN intro. The interviews were really funny, but that voice….ahhh. **1/2

Deephouse Dish

Cast- Fox, Poehler, Thompson, Maya Rudolph, Samberg

Thoughts- Oh come on! I thought Rachel leaving SNL meant no more Deephouse Dish. Replacing with Rachel with Samberg is not an improvement at all. That’s making things worse. I understand we were supposed to not like him, but I really wanted to punch Andy in the face. Fox’s song was really funny, and I laughed at Amy talking about cologne. The rest was the usual terrible Deephouse Dish stuff. And hey, Maya sang. *1/2

Lost on an elevator

Cast- Fox, Armisen, Poehler, Rudolph, Thomspon, Samberg

Thoughts- If I met Matthew Fox, I would ask him how come those kids never had any parents on Party of Five. All those kids running around, Neve Campbell getting beat up, Bailey drinking, the girl in the tent and no parental supervision. Disgraceful.

That said, this was really funny. Even though I don’t watch Lost I was still laughing. Especially at Kenan talking about the next time he sees Matthew Fox and Andy insisting it was purgatory. This was just a well-written skit with lots of good lines. ***3/4

Tenacious D

Thoughts- Tenacious D has always been hit and miss with me. A lot of their songs are funny, but the joke gets old as the song goes along. I do give them credit for being named after a Marv Albert saying. I liked Kyle on the guitar, but this song wasn’t funny. **

Weekend Update

Cast- Seth Meyers, Poehler, Rudolph, Wiig, Darrell Hammond, Thompson

Thoughts- Hey Amy- you’re not Tina Fey. You don’t wear glasses, you don’t have a scar, and you’re not starring on a show tanking on NBC. So keep the vagina euphemisms to Tina McScar. Her rant was funny, it’s just she’s not Tina. Seth was good this week, but not as good as previous weeks. He had some Norm-esque jokes but he couldn’t deliver that one joke where the audience is a bit uneasy. I’m always up for some Jesse and Al action and this delivered. I didn’t see why we had to have more reviews from Aunt Linda, but I’m always up for a Tom Selleck reference. And Maya was Maya. This Update was a bit of a step down from recent weeks, but I still liked it. ***1/4

Crazy Mountain Man

Cast- Fox, Poehler, Rudolph, Wiig

Thoughts- I’ve frowned on these meta-type skits before, but I liked this one since it totally fooled me. At first I thought this was just a sad knockoff of Colonel Angus but with the benefit of me actually getting it without someone explaining it to him. Kristin asking him to kiss her for real was really funny, and I even liked Maya’s cameo as Lorne. Emily Spivey was not needed. This was another clever little skit, although they really should stop these type of skits before it gets old. ***

Math v. History: This Time It’s Personal!

Cast- Fox, Forte, Wiig, Samberg

Thoughts- I’ve been saying for 32 years that SNL needs to mention the assassination of William McKinley, and they finally did! I, as always, enjoyed the bizarre late in the show Will Forte skit. Fox’s random appearance as the professor was just weird. The revelation that Forte couldn’t count was a bit weak, but I loved the math v. history facts. It’s good to learn something watching SNL. ***

Apocolypto: With Chocolate

Cast- Fox, Armisen, Rudolph, Hader, Samberg

Thoughts- I don’t know why I laughed at some of this, but I thought Fred was really funny in his love of chocolate and I liked Bill dying, but still making sure to like the chocolate. Of course this was pretty stupid, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be. **1/4

Tenacious D

Thoughts- Now this was really funny. And the joke didn’t even get old either, so bravo Jack Black. Metal laying out ska, grunge and all the other genres was awesome. And I love when they showed it in slow-mo. Good job Jack and Kyle for redeeming yourself from the crappy first song. ***1/2

Bottom Line- Avg. skit was **.77 making this a thumbs up show. Nothing really stood out, but the show had a nice collection of ***ish skits. And unlike other shows, the bizarre weird skits actually worked. Matthew Fox didn’t do anything, but he didn’t ruin anything. Tenacious D was hit and miss[/s]. This was just a solid good show, and hopefully they can keep it up for the rest of December.

Thumbs Up

Guest Shylock

Show was pretty good. Coupling a good new episode of SNL and a great Classic SNL makes for a good night of television. Also I loved Hader's Kramer impression. And Wiig's "kiss me for real" line was gold.

Now we're seeing the last bits of who's the weaker links on the cast. I say next season they need to cut Maya, Amy and Keenan and get some more promising improv actors and comics out there. The show has been rather good this year and the only dark spots are with the three I mentioned. Keenan's always Keenan in every sketch and he's very rarely funny. But seriously nothing's as bad as Maya's Whitney "impression" on Update. That totally killed the momentum of the show. Ah well.

If I met Matthew Fox, I would ask him how come those kids never had any parents on Party of Five. All those kids running around, Neve Campbell getting beat up, Bailey drinking, the girl in the tent and no parental supervision. Disgraceful.

Weren't they off busy being dead??

If I met Matthew Fox, I would ask him how come those kids never had any parents on Party of Five. All those kids running around, Neve Campbell getting beat up, Bailey drinking, the girl in the tent and no parental supervision. Disgraceful.

Weren't they off busy being dead??

Yeah, they died in a car crash. It was the storyline for the show; Mathew Fox had to take care of his 4 brothers and sisters.

I should've realised the joke wasn't funny, y'all are right.

Andd yes, those are real letters. I used to have a huge mailbag, but s-n-l.com stopped posting reviews