TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

Paul Heyman sent home

And just so everyone knows Heyman isn't hurting for money due to his upcoming inheritance. His father owns an extremely lucrative law practice. He was listed as a creditor in the ECW bankruptcy case as being owed some 3.5 million dollars, and he still has many times that over in savings. So money isn't the big thing Paul has to worry about.

Hard to be low on money when you aren't paying your talent.

The thing is, lying to the internet is pointless. As soon as Heyman tries to comeback everyone on the net will see it for what it is. It's not like we'll actually believe Heyman is a rebel trying to take over, we'll see him as the same dog-whipped employee that is currently is/was.

I could see it working if done right. IMO, people are more passionate about about who's actually running ECW or whose vision is being presented than just about anything that's currently on the show now. If the shows were entertaining, word got out that Heyman was put back into power and given more free reign over the product, and if the Originals were made to look strong, it could bring a lot of people back to the show. It wouldn't even be that much of a storyline contradiction, because Heyman could always say that Vince forced him to act against the Originals (which is what most people probably believe anyway).

Not saying it's a work at all, but if it was, it may not be a bad idea.

You don't need to work the internet fans to do that. You just need to actually put on a good product. The working of the fans on the internet is just done for kicks and to get a buzz out of 'fooling the smarts'. It serves no real purpose other than kicks, because the internet fans make up such a small percentage of your fanbase even if they are usually the most vocal ones. It's the casual fans you need to worry about and as far as casual fans are aware, they don't even know any of this has happened and won't know until ECW airs.

I don't exactly disagree with you, but in this issue especially, I don't think it'd hurt to work the net, and in this case it could possibly help more than it'd hurt simply because this is one of those issues that people tend to care about. Yes, we're a small portion of the fanbase, but we're the portion of the fanbase with the most connection to the ECW. We're the ones who are most likely to put down money to see ECW, and to get us riled up and really believing in the product (not to say that net fans would think the whole storyline's a shoot, but more along the lines of them being really vocal and involved) could--if done correctly--create a big enough buzz to attract some more viewers. And the thing about this type of angle is that while it'd be geared more to the hardcore fanbase, it's not so complicated that the casuals wouldn't be able to understand it, so the risk of alienating them isn't all that big if it plays out on TV. Plus if the hardcore crowd gets vocal enough and the weekly TV is entertaining enough, I think they'd fall right in line.

Doesn't look like it's a work, so I probably typed all that shit up for nothing, but I think it could be interesting if it was. I mean, I've liked most of what I've seen of WWECW, but it'd be a lot easier to get into with issues/storylines that are based in something real and generate real passion, and this could be one of those issues.

The thing is, lying to the internet is pointless. As soon as Heyman tries to comeback everyone on the net will see it for what it is. It's not like we'll actually believe Heyman is a rebel trying to take over, we'll see him as the same dog-whipped employee that is currently is/was.

I could see it working if done right. IMO, people are more passionate about about who's actually running ECW or whose vision is being presented than just about anything that's currently on the show now. If the shows were entertaining, word got out that Heyman was put back into power and given more free reign over the product, and if the Originals were made to look strong, it could bring a lot of people back to the show. It wouldn't even be that much of a storyline contradiction, because Heyman could always say that Vince forced him to act against the Originals (which is what most people probably believe anyway).

You don't need to work the internet fans to do that. You just need to actually put on a good product. The working of the fans on the internet is just done for kicks and to get a buzz out of 'fooling the smarts'. It serves no real purpose other than kicks, because the internet fans make up such a small percentage of your fanbase even if they are usually the most vocal ones. It's the casual fans you need to worry about and as far as casual fans are aware, they don't even know any of this has happened and won't know until ECW airs.

I don't exactly disagree with you, but in this issue especially, I don't think it'd hurt to work the net, and in this case it could possibly help more than it'd hurt simply because this isn't some random this is one of those issues that people tend to care about. Yes, we're a small portion of the fanbase, but we're the portion of the fanbase with the most connection to the ECW. We're the ones who are most likely to put down money to see ECW, and to get us riled up and really believing in the product (not to say that net fans would think the whole storyline's a shoot, but more along the lines of them being really vocal and involved) could--if done correctly--create a big enough buzz to attract some more viewers. And the thing about this type of angle is that while it'd be geared more to the hardcore fanbase, it's not so complicated that the casuals wouldn't be able to understand it, so the risk of alienating them isn't all that big if it plays out on TV. Plus if the hardcore crowd gets vocal enough and the weekly TV is entertaining enough, I think they'd fall right in line.

Because this is an issue people care about is one reason why working the internet fans will just as likely keep them away than bring them back. Swerving them into coming back, even assuming you can do it, under the promise of Heyman coming back and gaining control isn't going to last long because those same people are going to quickly realize that Vince is running things, which he will do eventually. When that happens, they'll leave, and will be even less likely to come back the next time they try to swerve them or, somehow, Heyman really does gain power back. The internet fans create a buzz within their own community, but it's rarely a buzz that can bring in and sustain new long term fans unless the product in question is good enough to keep the casual fans around, and they make up the vast majority of fans. Casual fans are drawn in by what creates a buzz among them not among internet fans. Anything done with Heyman at this point creates no buzz among casual fans. Casual fans are the ones they need to worry about and the ones they need to hook in. Trying to work the internet fans to draw in the casual fans would a pointless exercise. They're totally different creatures.

I don't exactly disagree with you, but in this issue especially, I don't think it'd hurt to work the net, and in this case it could possibly help more than it'd hurt simply because this isn't some random this is one of those issues that people tend to care about. Yes, we're a small portion of the fanbase, but we're the portion of the fanbase with the most connection to the ECW. We're the ones who are most likely to put down money to see ECW, and to get us riled up and really believing in the product (not to say that net fans would think the whole storyline's a shoot, but more along the lines of them being really vocal and involved) could--if done correctly--create a big enough buzz to attract some more viewers. And the thing about this type of angle is that while it'd be geared more to the hardcore fanbase, it's not so complicated that the casuals wouldn't be able to understand it, so the risk of alienating them isn't all that big if it plays out on TV. Plus if the hardcore crowd gets vocal enough and the weekly TV is entertaining enough, I think they'd fall right in line.

Because this is an issue people care about is one reason why working the internet fans will just as likely keep them away than bring them back. Swerving them into coming back, even assuming you can do it, under the promise of Heyman coming back and gaining control isn't going to last long because those same people are going to quickly realize that Vince is running things, which he will do eventually. When that happens, they'll leave, and will be even less likely to come back the next time they try to swerve them or, somehow, Heyman really does gain power back. The internet fans create a buzz within their own community, but it's rarely a buzz that can bring in and sustain new long term fans unless the product in question is good enough to keep the casual fans around, and they make up the vast majority of fans. Casual fans are drawn in by what creates a buzz among them not among internet fans. Anything done with Heyman at this point creates no buzz among casual fans. Casual fans are the ones they need to worry about and the ones they need to hook in. Trying to work the internet fans to draw in the casual fans would a pointless exercise. They're totally different creatures.

That'd be the biggest concern with running such an angle, since I'll concede that more likely than not that's what'd happen. On the casual fan issue, we've seen instances in the past where vocal portions of the audience have drawn in larger portions of the crowd (i.e. "You Screwed Matt" and to an extent some of the Cena hate off the top of my head). Now I know we're talking actual drawing as opposed to crowd reactions, but assuming you could get the vocal hardcore reaction you want and get them so involved that you could actually build a show around it (two big if's, I know), and most of all if it's entertaining (yeah...), then you could possibly have something on your hands to create that buzz within the casual community and attract them to your show, which is more along the line of what I was trying to get at in the original post.

The Heyman rumor mill is running wild................and so is the bullshit. Check out THIS nugget from Wikipedia:

On December 5, 2006, Paul Heyman signed a contract to appear on 7th Heaven in the show's 12th season next year. The CW Network announced that Paul Heyman will play a character by the name of Rabbi Robert Feinstein and he will head the church across town from Eric Camden. It is expected that Heyman will play a crooked clergy in order to bring to show that not all churches are not nice and that some are out to con you. It is expected that eventually Rev. Camden will convert Rabbi Feinstein (To being a "good guy" not Christian) and help him change his ways to make his church more productive and beneficial to its congregation. The CW Network had been looking to cast this role since October and were thrilled when Paul Heyman became available.

Rabbi Rob Feinstein???? No, that wasn't a fake Wikipedia entry.

Also, I don't buy into the idea that the internet is such a "small percentage of the audience" thing. Maybe in terms as to how many people actually hang out on boards like this or speak the gospel of Dave Scherer or Dave Meltzer but most homes have internet. Even the sweatiest, stinkiest, overweight, pimply faced kid in a monster truck t-shirt is going to look at wwe.com if they watch wrestling. That is likely the reason they are blurring the line between work and shoot on that particular website. They are already pulling them in for the possibility that this could all just be an angle and played into the storylines if they decide to throw Heyman a bone and bring him back. They also likely want to see if this does get any type of reaction or catches on in arenas like 'You Screwed Matt'... and it likely won't... I think the original ECW diehards who would chant about this in arenas are long gone. Perhaps if they were still running ECW only house shows by my.... what timing to stop those, huh? Also love the timing that Heyman is taught a lesson again shortly after Stephanie McMahon rejoins the creative team.

The best thing for all of us would be if this is real and TNA gets their hands on Paul Heyman. That would be better for the business as a whole rather than this all turning into a WWECW angle in a few months. Give Heyman the book. Move them to Tuesday nights and let Heyman's TNA go head to head with Vince's ECW. It would be classic!

Also, I don't buy into the idea that the internet is such a "small percentage of the audience" thing. Maybe in terms as to how many people actually hang out on boards like this or speak the gospel of Dave Scherer or Dave Meltzer but most homes have internet. Even the sweatiest, stinkiest, overweight, pimply faced kid in a monster truck t-shirt is going to look at wwe.com if they watch wrestling. That is likely the reason they are blurring the line between work and shoot on that particular website. They are already pulling them in for the possibility that this could all just be an angle and played into the storylines if they decide to throw Heyman a bone and bring him back. They also likely want to see if this does get any type of reaction or catches on in arenas like 'You Screwed Matt'... and it likely won't... I think the original ECW diehards who would chant about this in arenas are long gone. Perhaps if they were still running ECW only house shows by my.... what timing to stop those, huh? Also love the timing that Heyman is taught a lesson again shortly after Stephanie McMahon rejoins the creative team.

A casual fan on the internet is going to go to WWE.com and that's about it. It's one thing to go online and see the latest WWE news on their own website. It's another to go beyond that, and check other news sites, message boards, etc. That type of fan is what is generally meant when people talk about fans on the internet. The ones who go to message boards like this. A casual fan isn't going to bother with that. That's why they're called casual.

A casual fan on the internet is going to go to WWE.com and that's about it. It's one thing to go online and see the latest WWE news on their own website. It's another to go beyond that, and check other news sites, message boards, etc. That type of fan is what is generally meant when people talk about fans on the internet. The ones who go to message boards like this. A casual fan isn't going to bother with that. That's why they're called casual.

Yeah, I get that. My point is that if any of this does end up a work or turned into an angle it's not just the "internet fans" that they are playing to, as in smarks, they are also getting the casual fan involved by posting things in the manner that they do on wwe.com where Mr. McMahon dismissed Paul Heyman due to declining ratings and a disgruntled locker room. So when people say, "they are playing to the internet and that's just a small percentage of their audience, what's the point, that really shouldn't apply to things posted to wwe.com where casual fans visit.

If Paul Heyman pops up on ECW tv at some point even those casual fans who just visit wwe.com and not this board, pwinsider, torch, observer, etc. will understand that this guy shouldn't be there - Mr. Mcmahon fired him - wow, what's he going to say?

And smarks, despite the fact that we know Vince is really running the show and that Heyman is an employee not some renegade outlaw like they'll treat him on commentary, will still watch with interest to see where they go with the whole thing. Like someone mentioned it's not like this is some insider/internet angle that goes over the head of any casual fan - they are being played to as well by the wording on wwe.com

Again - I don't see any of this being the case, I don't think they are trying to work us but I also don't rule out the possibility that Heyman was just told to go him, not technically fired, and this is just the latest 'we can do this without you, Paul" lesson from Vince.

And just so everyone knows Heyman isn't hurting for money due to his upcoming inheritance. His father owns an extremely lucrative law practice. He was listed as a creditor in the ECW bankruptcy case as being owed some 3.5 million dollars, and he still has many times that over in savings. So money isn't the big thing Paul has to worry about.

Hard to be low on money when you aren't paying your talent.

Ah yes he selfishily kept the money to himself and just allowed ECW to fold while he counted all his stacks of money - it wasn't that he didn't pay because he didn't have the money or anything... oh no, no, no nothing like that.

The most likely outcome is Heyman stays home until Vince brings him back or signs him to a new deal just to keep him away from anyone else. I'd be shocked if Heyman actually left WWE, but if he was ever going to really leave, it would be now.

Look, I know money rules all (which makes it difficult to act on your principles), but Vince can't just offer Heyman a load of cash and it's a given he'll re-sign. Especially if it is true that he's financially secure.

A casual fan on the internet is going to go to WWE.com and that's about it. It's one thing to go online and see the latest WWE news on their own website. It's another to go beyond that, and check other news sites, message boards, etc.

This isn't strictly accurate, I'll use myself as an example. The reason I use this site, was because about four or five years ago, I was a big high-school wrestling mark (as in, I watched in high school, not I'm a big follower of high school wrestling..) - anyway, I was always on wwe and wcw.com - but I decided to use a search engine for WWF - and in between the WWF and WWFund sites, there were lots of other sites, like Geocities (back in the day, like) and fan pages, then there other sites, like this.

If you see a 'wrestling forum' with thousands of members - odds are you're going to view it, regularly if you like it.

That's what happened with me.

I went from a mark to an 'internet fan' (I don't like the term, smark) - by using a search engine.

This is not a work. Heyman has definitely gone. The random nature of this news proves it(just like Angle going to TNA). Heyman was right to be pissed off. December to Dismember was a poor show mainly because McMahon didn't want to promote any match except the Elimination Chamber, in order not to take attention away from it. The match was already the main-event, how much more can you elevate its importance? the answers is, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! He had to be convinced to advertise MNM/Hardys. That's utterly stupid booking!

Even the Elimination Chamber was a dissapointment. Heyman is better off somewhere else.

Is there such a thing as a "casual wrestling fan"? I've never understood that term either. I'm not trying to nitpick here, but everyone I've known who's been into wrestling has been pretty diehard.

Is there such a thing as a "casual wrestling fan"? I've never understood that term either. I'm not trying to nitpick here, but everyone I've known who's been into wrestling has been pretty diehard.

Casual basically means the people who watch it on tv, maybe order a ppv once in awhile but usually just Mania, Rumble and/or Slam/Series. They don't follow the industry like we do. It's just another television program to them. Die hard, doesn't neccesarily mean they are internet savvy, but just big fans, no matter what.

Casual basically means the people who watch it on tv, maybe order a ppv once in awhile but usually just Mania, Rumble and/or Slam/Series. They don't follow the industry like we do. It's just another television program to them. Die hard, doesn't neccesarily mean they are internet savvy, but just big fans, no matter what.

Fair enough. I still think the amount of internet savvy wrestling fans is bigger than some are giving credit for, but whatever.

Yeah, im not sure there are any "casual fans" anymore, sure back in the day there was. But i think the fan base of wrestling boils down to us internet fans.

Um that would describe me. Usually, I just order the Rumble and Wrestlemania. I used to get at least one more but then the prices went up.

Yes, it's totally possible to go from casual fan to an internet fan in time. There is still a base of fans however who just watch WWE for fun or because they like certain characters and don't get caught up in the insider stuff like we all do. Those fans are more likely to just visit wwe.com - let's put it this way, whenever you see WWE as being in the top ten searches on Yahoo or Google, it's those people. Now whether or not they become smart to certain aspects of the business and end up checking sites like this, pwinsider.com, etc. is another story.

I'm in agreement however that more wrestling fans are smarter to the inner workings of the business than Vince & Co. think. I don't think there is much of a 'casual fan' base that Vince thinks there is as in strict marks who don't dare question anything that is fed to them. Sooner or later any fan is going to think to themselves, "Man, we're sick of so much HHH, nothing in the ECW is EXTREME, why are the McMahons on tv all the time, here's the bad guy GM that is going to make a ridiculous stipulation, we're sick of the kiss my ass club or whatever". The company thinks that just because fans aren't "smart" that they don't pick up on the same stuff the internet does.

The people on internet boards are just the 'most vocal and loudest' about the product. In many ways, things start on the net and spread to the casual fan. Take the Hardy/Lita/Edge thing last year. All it takes is a couple 'smart' internet people in the crowd, coming up with a chant, telling the person sitting behind them why they are chanting what they're chanting and soon more people in the arena are chanting the same thing and it spreads. You're going to hearing more and more TNA chants in weeks to come and it's not because more people are watching TNA but because people are sheep and chanting things at WWE shows is the only way they are entertained these days.

I have co-workers who go through phases where they watch and then don't watch. They'll talk about wrestling with me everyday but it will be about older stuff - which is why WWE 24/7 should be way more successful than it is but they don't market it to those people for whatever reason. They will ask me what's going on - or comment on something they saw while switching channels like ECW having no hardcore matches and looking like the rest of WWE programming, Cena getting booed, Hogan making an appearance, Angle in TNA, etc. They are up on things but not watching religiously or hanging out on the internet talking about it. A lot of them were schooled on insider stuff from newspaper columns that used to run or just knowing people on the net.

Jim Ross commented on Paul Heyman's departure from WWE:

Unfortunate to see Paul Heyman, the former ECW guru, leave the WWE. Paul is a bright guy with many interests and will no doubt “land on his feet”. I have known and worked with Paul for MANY years, even when I was “thinner” and “Happy Heyman” had hair. We had our battles but Heyman is a sharp cookie and won’t need a telethon or fund raiser any time soon. I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do.

Ross was a huge proponent in getting Heyman into the WWF after ECW folded. He spoke of Heyman many times after the last show, talking about how he'd drink Heyman's "kool-aid" anyday.

Yes, it's totally possible to go from casual fan to an internet fan in time. There is still a base of fans however who just watch WWE for fun or because they like certain characters and don't get caught up in the insider stuff like we all do. Those fans are more likely to just visit wwe.com - let's put it this way, whenever you see WWE as being in the top ten searches on Yahoo or Google, it's those people. Now whether or not they become smart to certain aspects of the business and end up checking sites like this, pwinsider.com, etc. is another story.

I'm in agreement however that more wrestling fans are smarter to the inner workings of the business than Vince & Co. think. I don't think there is much of a 'casual fan' base that Vince thinks there is as in strict marks who don't dare question anything that is fed to them. Sooner or later any fan is going to think to themselves, "Man, we're sick of so much HHH, nothing in the ECW is EXTREME, why are the McMahons on tv all the time, here's the bad guy GM that is going to make a ridiculous stipulation, we're sick of the kiss my ass club or whatever". The company thinks that just because fans aren't "smart" that they don't pick up on the same stuff the internet does.

The people on internet boards are just the 'most vocal and loudest' about the product. In many ways, things start on the net and spread to the casual fan. Take the Hardy/Lita/Edge thing last year. All it takes is a couple 'smart' internet people in the crowd, coming up with a chant, telling the person sitting behind them why they are chanting what they're chanting and soon more people in the arena are chanting the same thing and it spreads. You're going to hearing more and more TNA chants in weeks to come and it's not because more people are watching TNA but because people are sheep and chanting things at WWE shows is the only way they are entertained these days.

I have co-workers who go through phases where they watch and then don't watch. They'll talk about wrestling with me everyday but it will be about older stuff - which is why WWE 24/7 should be way more successful than it is but they don't market it to those people for whatever reason. They will ask me what's going on - or comment on something they saw while switching channels like ECW having no hardcore matches and looking like the rest of WWE programming, Cena getting booed, Hogan making an appearance, Angle in TNA, etc. They are up on things but not watching religiously or hanging out on the internet talking about it. A lot of them were schooled on insider stuff from newspaper columns that used to run or just knowing people on the net.

I think a lot more people read the net then Vince is willing to admit. The difference though is that a lot of people on the internet still don't know Dave Meltzer/Wrestling Observer from any local hack with his own website like www.wrestlinginsiderscoopage.com They just go to any sight and get their wrestling tibits, third or even fourth hand after the webmaster has copied and pasted it from Meltzer or PWinsider. Hell when I first got the internet in 1995, the first website I manually typed in was www.prowrestling.com and for a good month or two, I figured the site was credible, because at the time I had no reason not to.(LOL)On many occassions when talking to wrestling fans I may not be "friends" with, they will comment to me how they read "such and such" on the "internet" So I think in general, most wrestling fans that have internet at home, are in fact reading wrestling news in general on the internet. I think people just assume to quickly that just because you go online and read wrestling websites, that you are automatically going to hate McMahon/HHH/Stephanie etc etc etc.....there are plenty of people that would come to TSM, read the WWE forums and scoff at us, as much as we scoff at them. I mean we have to face the unfortunate fact that in the upcoming years, unless something drastic changes, the new generation of wrestling fans are going to be bred to believe McMahon was the creator of any and everything-prowrestling/sports entertainment related. It might be pre-mature to say this, but I think it is quite possible that there will never be a time like the 90's in Prowrestling, ever again.

It might be pre-mature to say this, but I think it is quite possible that there will never be a time like the 90's in Prowrestling, ever again.

Don't EVER say that AGAIN!

I'm still sitting over here holding out hope that something is going to break sooner or later. And mark my words... this ECW thing will be what bites Vince in the ass. The wars will be fought on Tuesday instead of Monday, that's all. Where will the MTV project factor in? Could TNA move to Tuesdays in prime time? Would Paul Heyman work for either of those companies just to put his vision vs. Vince's current vision of ECW? That ECW rating in the mid to high 1's isn't that difficult to beat.

I do remember how much fun it was in the 90's for wrestling fans on the net. I came on in '95, there was Prodigy, AOL had a good wrestling forum and SCOOPS! Good times.

Too bad my only fond memory of ECW's return was the first One Night Stand.

Wow dude Scoops, now that was an awesome site. Fond memories!!

When I first looked at wrestling sites it was roughly late 1997 when I started college, just went to the computer lab between classes and surfed. I checked out Micasa a lot then, Scoops of course, and The Daily Lariat. It was an interesting time to start looking at those sites, considering the Montreal Screwjob happened right around then.

When I first got on the internet around early 1996, I remember there were a lot of e-mailed newsletters you could subscribe to. Some were pretty good, but most were just people making up rumors or copying from the message board type sites. Do such things exist anymore?

When I first looked at wrestling sites it was roughly late 1997 when I started college, just went to the computer lab between classes and surfed. I checked out Micasa a lot then, Scoops of course, and The Daily Lariat. It was an interesting time to start looking at those sites, considering the Montreal Screwjob happened right around then.

Heh, same here. I'd forgotten about Micasa! Prior to college and websites, I'd used a lot of news groups and mailing lists to get my news from.