TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Same deal as NFL...The weekly threads will be to discuss the week's games, etc., and I'll still post the power rankings in the weekly threads. Discussions that can potentially span over more than a week, though, will go in here.

My first question is, which player from this rookie class do you think will go on to have the best career? Overall, this class has been pretty lousy thus far. Tyrus Thomas had a really good first half last night against the Sixers (I turned it off at halftime), and it got me thinking about the rookies and their potential careers. Bargnani, I can't really see being any more than a serviceable role player right now. Morrison, Roy, Thomas and Aldridge, while none may go on to be stars, I think will all have very solid careers. Rudy Gay, as well. Those are probably my top 5 right now. I suppose if I had to choose just one, it would be Morrison.

I think once dwayne Casey gets his head out of his ass, Randy Foye is going to be the jewel of this rookie class. Bargnani is also suffering from a coach with head up the assdom. It might be homerdome talking but Sheldon Williams is actually going to be a pretty good player in the league.

Adam Morrison, he just has to figure out he NBA game. He is trying too hard honestly.

Besides them, I say that Kyle Lowery, Rajon Rando Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge will all have very good careers. The only thing holding them back right now is either injuries (Lowery, Roy) or the guy playing in front of them (Rando, Aldridge).

Edited by Ripper

I think once dwayne Casey gets his head out of his ass, Randy Foye is going to be the jewel of this rookie class. Bargnani is also suffering from a coach with head up the assdom. It might be homerdome talking but Sheldon Williams is actually going to be a pretty good player in the league.

Adam Morrison, he just has to figure out he NBA game. He is trying too hard honestly.

Besides them, I say that Kyle Lowery, Rajon Rando Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge will all have very good careers. The only thing holding them back right now is either injuries (Lowery, Roy) or the guy playing in front of them (Rando, Aldridge).

I agree with Randy Foye. Every time I see him out there for real minutes he is always productive and giving a boost to the team. I would bench Mike James for him without flinching.

I'm not saying he'll have the best, but Renaldo Balkman reminds me of Rodman a little, down to how he brings the ball up the court. He's pretty good at handling the ball; better than you expected, and he's also a rebounding machine.

Overall, i'd probably have to go with Brandon Roy since he had the best start, but he got hurt. Adam Morrison will be the best offensive player easily I think though. He's savvy but he's forcing up too many shots right now.

I agree with Randy Foye. Every time I see him out there for real minutes he is always productive and giving a boost to the team. I would bench Mike James for him without flinching.

Whats worse, they can't trade James because of that big contract, but they won't bench him...because of that big contract. Randy Foye looks like Dwayne Wade lite out there and he is riding pine for no reason other than the guy ahead of him getting paid a boatload of money.

Whats worse, they can't trade James because of that big contract, but they won't bench him...because of that big contract. Randy Foye looks like Dwayne Wade lite out there and he is riding pine for no reason other than the guy ahead of him getting paid a boatload of money.

Why can't they both play together in the same backcourt?

Guest Princess Leena

Millsap is more like Rodman. He'll be leading the league in rebounds once he plays a large amount of minutes.

There was more to Rodman than just rebounding (although Balkman is a really good rebounder too). I haven't watched much of Millsap in the NBA, but he's not the Rodman type. I'd say Balkman is more comparable because they are both 6'7-6'8 type of guys who are around 200 pounds and can defend multiple positions. Millsap is an undersized, not too athletic PF. He's more like a Barkley type (not saying he's Barkley, but if you're going to compare him to a great rebounder, it'd have to be Barkley). Balkman also changes the game with his defensive ability, much like Rodman. He's also like Rodman hitting 3s once on a while. And on the break, Balkman is a beast.

Thabo Seflosha is going be a good player, he's good defender and a good ballhandler. I think Ben Gordon time is up in Chicago. Tyrus Thomas is ok, I think he'll a decent role player.

Guest Princess Leena

I agree that Millsap is more Barkley-like. But, I love those types of players. Sorry for my fandom. :P

If Keith Van Horn could be traded making over 15 million. Minny wont have a problem trading Mike at the deadline. Pistons have a glaring roster hole he could fill

If Keith Van Horn could be traded making over 15 million. Minny wont have a problem trading Mike at the deadline. Pistons have a glaring roster hole he could fill

Mike has 4 years left on his contract. Keith Van Horn was a end of contract guy, which always makes you tradable.

The thing I liked about Balkman was when Houston played the Knicks, Isaiah put him on Yao after Eddy Curry kept getting abused and he did a damn good job which was incredible to me. Balkman is more like Rodman in skills but he is missing a little bit of energy. LIke, merge him and Ronny Turiaf and you have the next Rodman.

I have been talking about Thabo Seflosha since the draft and I really REALLY wanted him in Phoenix. The guy is going to be a special player for real. He is great defensively and he is only going to get better and offensively, he can really handle and see like a point, but can play 3 differnet positions.

Now that I think about it, this is just going to be a slow burn rookie class. I think that you have alot of talent well into the second round in this year that will be making a major difference in years to come.

Just to throw a new name out there, Marcus Williams...

I thought pre-season that Brandon Roy would have the best career, but with this lingering foot injury I'm getting worried about his durability. Morrison will be a 20 pt scorer in the league, but he'll never be the 'next Bird' that some people tagged him as.

How about JJ Redick? :lol:

Is this the best place to discuss the Iverson trade?

What do you think is the option for the Sixers??? I think a Minnesota trade with a Randy Foye package would be good for the Sixers.

Golden State. Only problem is that they've got a few guys locked up long-term that shouldn't be.

As far as the draft talk goes, Jordan Farmar was a fuckin' steal. That and the Mo Evans trade that night helped the Lakers a ton.

Not that it I think it's the best deal out there, but I bet that Allen ends up with Kings for some sort of package built around Mike Bibby.

I think Atlanta has a great shot at landing him, they got tons of young talent.

Here's some Iverson stuff, from the Philadelphia Inquirer

"Bulls: Chicago could send the expiring contracts of forwards P.J. Brown and Michael Sweetney, with guard Ben Gordon and a first-round pick to Philly for Iverson. Their brass will meet today but appear unlikely to make such a move."

"Dallas: The Mavs could send the expiring contracts of Jerry Stackhouse and Austin Croshere, along with point guard Devin Harris. Problem? Owner Mark Cuban loves Harris and doesn't want any debate as to whether it will be Dirk Nowitzki's team."

"Boston: Coach Doc Rivers is willing to surrender anyone other than Paul Pierce for Iverson."

"Golden State: Mike Dunleavy Jr., Troy Murphy or Jason Richardson would have to come to Philly to make a deal happen, but the Sixers would love to get their hands on Monta Ellis. The Warriors say they're not about to part with Ellis, but everyone talks that nonsense before a deal gets done."

"Timberwolves: They barely have anyone the Sixers want, outside of Villanova product Randy Foye. Minnesota swears it's not about to let him go. We'll see."

"Clippers: The Sixers shouldn't even talk to them unless they're willing to part with Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston, which they are not willing to do."

"Grizzlies: Eddie Jones' expiring contract is about the only asset the Grizzlies have to offer. Mike Fratello's toupee will fall off trying to coach Iverson."

"Kings: Mike Bibby is owed $28 million over the final two years of his contract, but rumors have swirled he could opt out. Plus, Ron Artest loves Iverson."

SA Express-News

"Spurs coach Gregg Popovich knows one team that won't be pursuing Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson. His own. Asked if it was safe to eliminate the Spurs from the Iverson sweepstakes, Popovich paused for effect, pulled on his chin, looked at the ceiling as if in deep thought, then said, "Yes."

"The Lakers aren't expected to be in the mix for Iverson, but coach Phil Jackson isn't ready to completely rule them out of the trade talks. "The owner of the Lakers (Jerry Buss) has always felt that All-Star talent is something he can accommodate, and is willing to accommodate," Jackson said. "So I wouldn't just outright say we have no interest."

LA Daily News

"However remote the chances of trading for Allen Iverson might be, however little it makes sense to play Iverson in the same backcourt with Kobe Bryant, Lakers coach Phil Jackson refused to rule out the possibility Sunday. "I would not say no about that," Jackson said. "The owner (Jerry Buss) that's been here with the Lakers has always been a person that has looked at All-Star talent as something that he can accommodate and that he's willing to accommodate. "So I wouldn't just outright say we have no interest."

"The Lakers are not believed to have interest in trading for Iverson, which made Jackson's pregame answer a surprise."

I do not want Allen Iverson. I do not want Allen Iverson. I do not want Allen Iverson.

I do not want to see the Lakers chemistry fucked with at all.

Outside of the Atlantic division, only Portland, Memphis, and Charlotte have worse records than the Nets, who lead the Atlantic at 8-12.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Why can't the New Jersey Nets just go away already? It's like even when they're bad, they're good.

The Nets normally start the season slowly, prompting lots of "the Nets are finished" talk.

They then have a strong finish, prompting lots of "the Nets could come in the backdoor to win the championship" talk, only to flame out in the playoffs.

That's pretty much been the status quo for the Nets under Lawrence Frank.