TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

They are so ridiculously over-the-top at protecting their stars that they suspend the best player in the league without speaking to game officials about the incident.

You can be a Kobe hater all you want, but if this shit happens to Wade or LeBron it would just get brushed under the rug and forgotten.

Remember when LeBron clipped Wade a month or two ago? No suspension there.

And lebron was coming across his body going for the ball, missed it, and committed a foul that happened to be high and hard. He was given a flagrant. Fine. but it still was a basketball play. Reaching behind your body and hitting dudes in the head with a follow through on a jump shot is not.

Ironically, Kobe's elbow to Mike Miller was in response to Miller throwing his arm back on a drive to the basket and hitting Kobe.

How that and the Bell clothesline didn't get more games, I have no fucking idea.

Artest gets 5 for charging.

How that and the Bell clothesline didn't get more games, I have no fucking idea.

Artest gets 5 for charging.

Because Bells foul wasn't that bad. It was the fact that he pushed him down afterwards. Otherwise you are looking at a foul that happens once a game when a guy gets beat of the dribble. He grabbed and Kobe kept going. USUALLY if you aren't being a dick you just pull the guy up so he doesn't fall. Bell, being a dick, shoved Kobe even more to make sure he went down harder. So yeah, one game is just about right.

As for that miller play, THAT was a offensive foul. he was trying to clear out with his off hand and hit Kobe in the face. Seriously, there is a HUGE difference between what Kobe did and these other fouls. REALLY a HUGE difference.

Here is the biggest proof for me. If you are flailing your arms just to make it the contact more apparent, if you hit somthing, its giong to affect the path of your arm. Like if I just let my arms flail around and they hit the person next to me, my arm is going to bend and react because I was loosely flailing them and wasn't expecting to hit anything. Kobe hit two 200lb plus men and the follow through knocked them back even further. His arm didn't bend. he was expecting to hit something. So if he was swinging high and expecting to hit something, then he is just plain stupid for being amazed that he would get suspended when it hits the guy in the face.

I didn't even bring up Kobe in that sentence, so I have no fucking idea of what you're going on about. Like, I'm not even talking about Kobe anymore. I'm talking about the league's suspension pattern, and totally ignoring that the Kobe's suspensions exist, because it's clear nobody (including me) can talk about it without bias. Plus, I said that Kobe should have got a few more games for his elbow on Miller, not that Miller should have got something. But that's beside the point. End of that.

Melo got how many games for connecting with one punch. That one punch has the possibility of doing as much damage as a clothesline or elbow. It just doesn't make sense, is all. The league hands out their suspensions so differently that there really isn't a set standard. They just punish guys like Melo and Artest the way they do because they don't like them.

So please let's not talk about Kobe anymore.

I didn't even bring up Kobe in that sentence, so I have no fucking idea of what you're going on about. Like, I'm not even talking about Kobe anymore. I'm talking about the league's suspension pattern, and totally ignoring that the Kobe's suspensions exist, because it's clear nobody (including me) can talk about it without bias. Plus, I said that Kobe should have got a few more games for his elbow on Miller, not that Miller should have got something. But that's beside the point. End of that.

Melo got how many games for connecting with one punch. That one punch has the possibility of doing as much damage as a clothesline or elbow. It just doesn't make sense, is all. The league hands out their suspensions so differently that there really isn't a set standard. They just punish guys like Melo and Artest the way they do because they don't like them.

So please let's not talk about Kobe anymore.

You brought it up because you didn't want to talk about the Mavs, Suns or Spurs. Like 10 post ago. But cool. Fine...no more Kobe.

That Carmelo incident, i called BS anyway. Funny how in basketball, a BRAWL where one punch was thrown is horrid and Carmelo gets 15 games and Jared Jeffries gets 5 games for TRYING to get to someone, but in Hockey dude nearly kills a guy with his stick and gets 25 games. And they stopped talking about it faster than the basketBRAWL that of course brought us back to 60 billion more shots of the BRAWL in Detriot.

Sure, there is alot of unfairness in the suspension methods of the NBA, but at the same time, Joe horn got fined more for a touchdown celebration than Sean Taylor got for spitting in a players face and I think more than Haynesworth got for stomping on a players face. Its unfair in every sport. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they leave you scratching your head.

They stopped talking about the hockey thing because nobody cares about hockey. That's like, the only time they talk about hockey, is when the bad shit happens.

The media just likes to blow things way out of proportion and it sorta backs the leagues into corners. It seems to me like they handout their suspensions based on how much everyone talks about it. I think it's bullshit on their part, but there's nothing anyone else can do.

The league IS out to get Kobe. He is the best player, but he is not the most marketable. He doesn't say what people want to hear, he doesn't give the media smooth sound bites, he cares more about basketball than kissing David Stern's ass. The league IS out to get Kobe.

Ripper, you may want to check and see if your TV is plugged in when you watch the NBA.

Bell's clothesline didn't get more games because it occurred during the playoffs, and Phoenix was down 3-2.

Speaking of, isn't it a little more understandable now why someone would want to knock Kobe on his ass? I called Bell an idiot here when he did it, but now I can kinda see why Kobe's elbows would have pissed him off.

The league IS out to get Kobe. He is the best player, but he is not the most marketable. He doesn't say what people want to hear, he doesn't give the media smooth sound bites, he cares more about basketball than kissing David Stern's ass. The league IS out to get Kobe.

Ripper, you may want to check and see if your TV is plugged in when you watch the NBA.

LOL. You are kidding right? Yeah, the league hates one of their top 3 draws in the league. Yeah, they want to be rid of the number one jersey seller, that guy that even shitty teams happen to sell out a arena when he comes to town. Yep. The NBA sure does hate Kobe.

Whatever.

Here is a random question. If you had the chance, would you take Deron Williams or Chris Paul now?

I mean if that draft was done over and you knew now what you knew then (and Chris Paul hadn't been hurt this year) who would you take?

I honestly don't know. Williams is a better offensive player kinda (well he is a better shooter) but Paul can literally take over games. As a point guard, I honestly thing Williams is a better pure point. Plus you have to factor in how big Deron is.

I think I would take williams by a LITTLE over paul.

I still like Paul, for now. He's better defensively, and can have the big scoring nights when he needs to. Plus, he's carrying a much bigger load than Williams is right now with Boozer and Okur to help out.

Most point guards could play well under Sloan's system.

I'd take Chris Paul. If you're speaking in terms of, damnit, the Hawks really fucked up on that pick, they should have taken Paul.

Guest Eagle Man
The league IS out to get Kobe.

You batshit homer dumbass, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Who is "the league"? David Stern? The refs? Other players? Who is "the league"? Do you mean William Ligue? He's just out to get Kansas City first base coaches. Why don't you use your 97% tax cut to fund a campaign to blame The Man and The Establishment while you're at it, and complete the nebulous accusation trifecta. Spicy McHaggis, who you crappin'?

Most point guards could play well under Sloan's system.

I'd take Chris Paul. If you're speaking in terms of, damnit, the Hawks really fucked up on that pick, they should have taken Paul.

I disagree with that. I think that only a certain number of points could really play under that system well.

You know the funny thing about that Hawks pick? Kevin Durant is a better weakside shot blocking, worse ball handling and on the ball defensive version of Marvin Williams. Williams is a 6'9" PF with handles that has a very nice outside shot from the college 3 and can hit the NBA 3. He has some post game but mostly relies on quickness down there. Kevin Durant is a 6'10" guy who is going to be too small to bang down low, his handles aren't as good as Williams and his jump shot is just about as consistant as Marvins. I don't get the hype honestly. yeah, he is kicking the shit out of other college players.

Durant is a better shooter than Marvin and a better rebounder. His long ass arms will eventually make him a better defender too.

Durant is a better shooter than Marvin and a better rebounder. His long ass arms will eventually make him a better defender too.

I will completely disagree with him being a better shooter. Marvin williams broke his shooting hand early this year, but since he took off that partial cast on it, he has been shooting about 50 percent from the field and almost all of his offense is jumpshots right now (thats not a good thing) Plus he definately has more range than Durant. I forgot to add that Kevin is a much better passer than Marvin williams. But right now Shooting(not by much) Ball handling and overall defense I give the edge to Marvin Williams. Shot blocking, and Passing I give to Durant. I do agree that with his long build he should have the chance to be a better defender, but at the same time, he literally doesn't try alot of games to defend anyone. Thats not cool.

By the way, don't get me wrong. In no means is Marvin Williams a great one on one defender, but he is better than durant. You honestly want to see what I think a real NBA comparison to Kevin Durant? Darius Miles. I think he would have dominated in college because he had a simular build and offensive skill set ( Durant is a better shooter though) but I just don't see it in the long haul.

I think Durant will be very good, but not at the extent that everyone thinks he will. He dominates because nobody in college can guard him. In the pros, he will get guarded.

Rip, my comment to you was in reference to "bells foul on Kobe wasn't that bad". By "the league" I mean David Stern and his sycophantic cronies. My point exactly is that Kobe sells out arenas, sells jerseys, AND speaks his mind without regard for what's politically correct in the NBA. They don't like that. They've moved on to Lebron & Wade (both players I really like, BTW) because they're too young to say anything against the league. It's pretty obvious when you watch the games, the young guys are getting more calls. Hell, Raja Bell is getting more calls than Kobe.

To the other guy, whose handle I've never seen, fuck off... and it was a 98% cut, in federal income tax for a married couple with two kids and an income of $40,000.

I will completely disagree with him being a better shooter. Marvin williams broke his shooting hand early this year, but since he took off that partial cast on it, he has been shooting about 50 percent from the field and almost all of his offense is jumpshots right now (thats not a good thing) Plus he definately has more range than Durant. I forgot to add that Kevin is a much better passer than Marvin williams. But right now Shooting(not by much) Ball handling and overall defense I give the edge to Marvin Williams. Shot blocking, and Passing I give to Durant. I do agree that with his long build he should have the chance to be a better defender, but at the same time, he literally doesn't try alot of games to defend anyone. Thats not cool.

By the way, don't get me wrong. In no means is Marvin Williams a great one on one defender, but he is better than durant. You honestly want to see what I think a real NBA comparison to Kevin Durant? Darius Miles. I think he would have dominated in college because he had a simular build and offensive skill set ( Durant is a better shooter though) but I just don't see it in the long haul.

This may sound a little corny but the difference between Miles and Durant will be Durants will to improve, and win. The guy plays his ass off all the time, and has the mentally of someone wanting to be the best. So he'll be like a fusion of like Miles/McGrady with more of a killer instinct.

Rip, my comment to you was in reference to "bells foul on Kobe wasn't that bad". By "the league" I mean David Stern and his sycophantic cronies. My point exactly is that Kobe sells out arenas, sells jerseys, AND speaks his mind without regard for what's politically correct in the NBA. They don't like that. They've moved on to Lebron & Wade (both players I really like, BTW) because they're too young to say anything against the league. It's pretty obvious when you watch the games, the young guys are getting more calls. Hell, Raja Bell is getting more calls than Kobe.

To the other guy, whose handle I've never seen, fuck off... and it was a 98% cut, in federal income tax for a married couple with two kids and an income of $40,000.

First, the foul did look worse because Kobe kept driving after he got wrapped up at which point Bell through him back. Bell didn't even move on the drive. He just stood there, Kobe went right bell grabbed, Kobe took two more steps. People act like it was Dennis Rodman pushing Scottie Pippen into the stands or something. It was a flagrant two at best and a one game suspension at worse. And I think the reason alot of people were bitching about that is that Luke Walton committed a actally dangerous and worse foul and didn't even get a flagrant two a few games earlier.

Second, what does Kobe speak his mind about? He doesn't say anything, ever. If you want to make a argument say that he is non charismatic and "the league" doesn't like that, but don't argue how outspoken he is because we both know that isn't true. Or if it is, please PLEASE give me an example. BTW, arguing with Shaq in public is not being outspoken. Trust me. The league didn't give a crap. More ratings.

And the league moved on to Lebron and Wade...hmmm...wonder why....maybe because they haven't raped anyone? (allegedly)

I am sorry but once the raping starts you aren't going to be the face of the league anymore. And for a league out to get him, don't you think keeping him off the court while he was about to go to trial for rape would have been a move they would have made? Instead they PROMOTED his "Kobe is such a hero for getting off a 2 hour flight and coming in to play 4 hours later. Its AMAZING." I am sorry but the Kobe conspiracy theory just doesn't work.

By the way, Dwayne Wade takes 11 free throws a game. Kobe takes just under 10. James takes just under 9.

So Kobe gets more calls than Lebron James and nearly as many as Wade. And Kobe has the most perimeter oriented game of the 3.

Once again. Conspiracy theory doesn't fly.

So the season is winding down. how about a awards prediction or people in the running?

MVP - Nash or Dirk. My vote? Dirk.

Sixth Man of the year - Leandro Barbosa or...well...since Gordon has been starting so much in Chicago...thats about it. My Vote? Barbosa

Rookie of the year - Brandon Roy or Andrea Barngani(sp) - My vote? Although the big Italian has been big as of late, Roy wins this

Defensive player of the year - Josh Smith or Shawn Marion - My Vote? Shawn Marion. if there are other candidates out there that I am missing, please let me know, but in my eyes, these two have been the cream of the crop in the NBA this year. Homerism or not.

Coach of the Year - Avery Johnson, Jerry Sloan, Sam Mitchell - My Vote? - Avery honestly, then Mitchell then Sloan.

Executive of the year - Bryan Colangelo. No one else in the running.

Most Improved - Kevin Martin or Monta Ellis - My Vote? Monta Ellis.

At this point, I'd go Dirk over Nash...contradicts my earlier opinions, but the Mavs are the best team right now, thanks to him.

Not to take anything away from Nash, he's one of the best point gaurds I've ever seen.

Mitchell should definetely take coach of the year. What he's done in bringing together a team filled with so many different guys from differnt backgrounds, getting them on the same page, then guiding them to wins has been phenomenal. I sense a movie with Denzel playing him -_-.

No one else even in the running for Exec of the Year? I think you could make a credible case for Carroll Dawson. The man built a team that withstood injuries to it's two stars (again) and will go from 34 to 50 wins in the Western Conference. He got Battier for Gay and a handful of magic beans, got improved bench depth (Tsakilidis, Snyder Howard/Hayes [whichever isn't starting], Deke, etc.) and has built a team that doesn't air it's dirty laundry in public (if it had any. I haven't heard anything bad about this year's Rockets team). I'd say he's done as much as Colangelo this year.

No one else even in the running for Exec of the Year? I think you could make a credible case for Carroll Dawson. The man built a team that withstood injuries to it's two stars (again) and will go from 34 to 50 wins in the Western Conference. He got Battier for Gay and a handful of magic beans, got improved bench depth (Tsakilidis, Snyder Howard/Hayes [whichever isn't starting], Deke, etc.) and has built a team that doesn't air it's dirty laundry in public (if it had any. I haven't heard anything bad about this year's Rockets team). I'd say he's done as much as Colangelo this year.

Lets not be confused here. the lack of T-mac injury is the reason this team is playing so well. The Battier trade was very good, and Chuck Hayes has been helpful, but Mutumbo has been there, Snyder has pretty much been a non-factor outside of having the lowest amount of body fat I have ever seen on a basketball player. Basically the Rockets are palying like they would have had they not lost both guys last year. They really didn't upgrade much.

Toronto on the other hand brought in NINE new players. And they are going to win the Atlantic, and I am serious when I tell people, watch out for them in the East playoffs. And seriously, the balls he displayed on the TJ Ford for Charlie long ass last name wins him the award anyway.

If you took all the moves from the past TWO years then yeah, Carroll Dawson is up there, but for this season alone, I don't see how you can not give it to Colangelo.

Guest Eagle Man

Yeah, it's Colangelo. Paxson scuttled his shot with that Ben Wallace signing.

So Cleveland has won eight straight, huh. That sucks. Chicago will have to play Toronto if nothing changes. I'm hoping for a big surge to close out the year and finish third.