TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Bit of sarcasm there sorry...

I like the deal to a point

C'mon now, Cartman. This is what every Celtics fan has been waiting for. They actually mean something now. Ainge's line from Day One has been "I'm going to accumulate a ton of young chips and then ship them all out at once to make a run." Now's the day of reckoning.

I suppose.

I just think Jefferson can give you close to the same production as Garnett and is alot younger and cheaper. Not to mention if the deal as rumored now is true (Jefferson, Green, Ratliff, Telfair, and Gomes...plus 2 first rounders) That is an awful lot to give up for a 1-3 year run at a title and then back to garbage again.

The Celtics should go to the Eastern Conference Finals with KG, Paul Pierce, and the Ray Allen twins if they don't then Danny Ainge and his yesmen need to be exiled to the WNBA or CBA or work for the NY Knicks.

I like the deal for Boston. They have a great player who's nearing the end of his prime and managed to add two hall of fame talents, one of them being one of the most talented bigs the game has EVER seen and the other one of the purest shooter and effortless scorers you will ever see. KG, Pierce, Allen is a HELL of a trio. Al Jefferson should be really good for a really long time, but they had a choice to make between building a young team and going for broke with Paul Pierce, and they already made that choice when they traded for Ray Allen. Acquiring KG on top of that is a major coup.

As far as the bench goes, as long as they pick up a couple of competent role playing vets they'll be fine. Powe and Glen Davis should give them good bench play up front. They're thin at guard and I'm not sure how much they get from Tony Allen this year, but there's always good guards to be found if you look in the right places. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go after a Damon Stoudamire or Brevin Knight type veteran PG, and they'll probably end up with someone like Trenton Hassell or Marko Jaric through the deal. Holding onto Gomes is important though, he's the jack of all trades type they need as a 6th man.

They definately should make a run at Brevin Knight. As long as he is healthy he is a serviceable point guard who has a pass first mind set. They will be needing a guard like that with this team.

Definitely, but they're paying tax out the ass once this deal goes through, aren't they?

I don't trust Doc Rivers to get the most out of the Terrific Trio.

This is what nobody is remembering through all this. Doc Rivers is garbage.

I really hope they didn't give up Gomes, because if this deal goes through then he's going to be one of those players you need coming off the bench. If the deal does include the 5 players then as of now the Celts are

PG: Rondo

SG: Allen

SF: Pierce

PF: KG

C: Perkins

Bench: Leon Powe, Big Baby, Gabe Pruitt, Brandon Wallace, Tony Allen, and Brian Scalabrine (plus one open spot)

Half that bench has been riddled with knee injuries and they're gonna need another Center.

He has three guys on the court that can overcome bad coaching. Docs was giving out inconsistant minutes to younger players, so that won't be a problem for his big three. He has no choice but to play Rondo now, because...well...I think he is the only point guard on the team.

I have always felt Doc was decent coaching a vet team but not so much with a young rebuilding team because he had no idea who to play.

Coaching won't be much of a problem with the team they are putting together. Cleveland made the finals last year with one of the worst coaches in the league. The big three don't really need any coaching and whatever players they put on the floor with them will just follow their lead. There will be few instances where bad coaching will come into play.

Yeah, couldn't you really coach those three by going, "Go play"?

And tell your Point, "Give them the ball."

But if they do win, we'll be told that Doc was the man for the job all along and deserves another extension. I could coach this team, for Christ's sake.

Love this move for the Celtics. They've totally mortgaged the future but they now have a legit shot in the next year or two of competing for a title. They have no bench to speak of, but with three All-Stars on the team it might not matter.

You're willing to go through YET ANOTHER "rebuilding" phase should this not work out? Being the best team in the East is like being the sweetest smelling turd in the toilet.

DannyAingeHeadshot-celtics.jpg

des·per·a·tion [des-puh-rey-shuhn]

–noun

1. the state of being desperate or of having the recklessness of despair.

2. the act or fact of despairing; despair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1325–75; ME desperacioun

—Synonyms 1. See despair.

The only way this wouldn't work is if KG and Paul Pierce get into the "who's team" argument bs that killed the Lakers. They is no "I" in team but in Boston there is 3 "I'"s in "Wiiicked"....

Love this move for the Celtics. They've totally mortgaged the future but they now have a legit shot in the next year or two of competing for a title. They have no bench to speak of, but with three All-Stars on the team it might not matter.

You're willing to go through YET ANOTHER "rebuilding" phase should this not work out? Being the best team in the East is like being the sweetest smelling turd in the toilet.

I'm willing to go through anything. I'm not a Celtics fan.

Two months ago the Celtics were the worst team in the NBA. Today, they have a legit shot of competing for a title. And if it doesn't work out, they will have cap space and a chance to rebuild in a couple of years. These contracts won't handicap them into eternity.

Danny Ainge waved a wand and turned a pile of shit into gold. This team wasn't going anywhere and have managed to add two Hall of Famers by giving up the no. 5 pick and one future All-Star (maybe). I can't believe there is anyone even arguing that this this isn't the best thing to happen to the franchise in the past twenty years.

If you want to see how the whole rebuilding process would have worked out, just watch the T'wolves. They essentially have Boston's old roster now.

You know, the last 4 champions have been west, east, west, east.

I understand that people like to say the East is shitty but come on.

Funny that the only people who really hate this deal for the most part are Celtics fans.

The Minnesota Timberwolves are now basically the outcasts of The Celtics, with Telfair, Jefferson, Gomes, Ratliff plus Ricky Davis and Mark Blount.

It's a desperate, I grant you but the only other option is wait 3 or 4 years for the young guys to develop and by then, Pierce would be in his mid 30s.

I like it but they need to pick up a couple roleplayers to fill up the bench.

Al Jefferson's growth coupled with Pierce's decline makes for two-three years of being a #6-8 seed at best.

And if they're rebuilding after a championship- yeah, I think Celtics fans wouldn't have a problem with that. Danny was never rebuilding. He was stocking young players to move for veteran talent to make a run at it before he got ran out of town for steering the ship through 5+ years of mediocrity. This team was never going to win based on homegrown talent, and Ainge was pretty clear about that from day one.

It's not desparation- it was his plan. Argue if his plan is faulty, but don't call it desperation.