TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

I wonder if Ainge had this planned all along, or if he just got really lucky after the Allen trade. Probably the latter. I thought the Allen trade was good, but this makes it great. Sign Brevin Knight, then another tall warm body at center for the veteran's minimum, and they're looking like killers.

Massive trades like this are one of the things that fascinate me most about sports. The Celtics have gotten rid of 6 guys who played considerable minutes for them over the past month--over half the functional team, really--but they're still the Celtics. They should get a new name, too.

Garnett deal finalized

Posted by Mark Murphy at 1:01 pm

A league source just confirmed that the Celtics and Timberwolves have finalized a deal that will bring Kevin Garnett to Boston in exchange for Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and two first round draft picks.

Garnett is expected to arrive in Boston this afternoon for a physical.

Garnett has agreed to a three-year extension with the Celtics beyond the two remaining on his contract, guaranteeing that he will be a Celtic for the next five years.

One reason for prolonged negotiations was the Celtics’ attempt to lessen the luxury tax hit this team will take next year, with Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen scheduled to earn a combined $54.4 million - the highest of any three-player combo in the NBA.

This will involve finding a way to lessen the impact of a 15 percent trade kicker in Garnett’s contract.

Edit: Green is involved.

And with that, I have no reason to watch the T-Wolves anymore. Garnett's been my favorite player pretty much since he was drafted, so I have always followed and supported them, but now I can't even root for him to go to the Finals since that would mean the Bulls would not.

Oh, and:

In the light of the sun, is there anyone? Oh it has begun...

Oh dear you look so lost, eyes are red and tears are shed,

This world you must've crossed... you said...

You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,

She said

You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,

Essential yet appealed, carry all your thoughts across

An open field,

When flowers gaze at you... they're not the only ones who cry

When they see you

You said...

You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,

She said

You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,

She said I think I'll go to Boston...

I think I'll start a new life,

I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my name,

I'll get out of California, I'm tired of the weather,

I think I'll get a lover and fly em out to Spain...

I think I'll go to Boston,

I think that I'm just tired

I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...

I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset,

I hear it's nice in the Summer, some snow would be nice... oh yeah,

You don't know me, you don't even care...

Boston... where no one knows my name... yeah

Where no one knows my name...

Where no one knows my name...

Yeah Boston...

Where no one knows my name.

I didnt ever say I "Hated" this trade, it's the exact opposite actually. I've come to love it completely after some thinking. I was just really sad to see Big Al AND Gomes leaving. It'w well worth it when you consider that this makes the team Very good and Nationally relevant again. Players will WANT to come here now.

Guest •

I think it's a pretty good trade, and they'll win the Atlantic this year. (The Nets will finish second, just because they never go away. Raptors will be forgotten about, like the Supersonics after 2005.) I don't think anyone cna guarantee that they'd beat Chicago or Detroit, however.

I'm a big Wolves fan and I loved watching KG play. I'm actually happy with this trade, we get come salary cap space, some young talent and an on the verge Super Star in Jefferson. I'm also happy for KG, he may finally get the title that he deserves. Both sides improved, the Wolves wouldn't have done anything with KG this year. Ainge basically saved his job, it now makes the Ray Allen move on draft day look very smart. Without KG the Celtics getting Allen would have been too little to make a big splash.

Guest •

Well, Garnett makes the Celtics the favorite, followed by the pesky Nets. There's plenty of reason to believe the Raptors finish third.

Don't count out the Knicks. No, "HAHA THE KNICKS ARE THE SUXORZ" isn't going to get by as an argument. Randolph gives them something every night at the PF spot, which they didn't have last year. The core of the team is still young and improving, and I'm sure Isiah has one more move up his sleeve with the roster size at 17 (probably Artest).

The Sixers finished off strong last year too.

The Wolves will be 18-20 wins bad next year.

They still need at least one other PG. Anyone think Telfair can get his act together?

They need to trade Ricky Davis, and maybe Jaric and Hassel.

Telfair cannot be effective on a half court, grind it out team, and the Wolves are going to be just that with Jefferson down there. Get Telfair on a up tempo team and you would have one hell of a point guard. Backup in New Jersey would be the perfect place for him.

Plus, they are probably going to play Foye at the point alot so they can have Mcants, Green and Davis at the two.

I agree they need to trade Ricky Davis and jaric (although no one is touching that Jaric contract)

is Antoine Walker a free agent? If so I demand my (and Glenn Ordway's) binky be brought back to Boston. If the Celts do win a Championship within the next couple years as a fan of the team I'd really enjoy seeing Antoine be a part of that.

Antwain Walker is the Celtics good luck charm.

Bring him back and clear some place for the banner.

Well, Garnett makes the Celtics the favorite, followed by the pesky Nets. There's plenty of reason to believe the Raptors finish third.

The pesky Nets will be good next year with Krstic playing all the way through, but Jason Kidd will be a year older, and VC is getting on the wrong side of thirty.

Vince will always be one of the best offensive players in the league when he's on, but the problem is he's so inconsistent. I have a hard time believing he will ever be a good clutch player, as he dished the ball away when he had the chance to tie it in Toronto in Game 5 and he lost the ball to old-ass Eric Snow to give the series away to Cleveland. He always folds under pressure. I'm one of the few Raps fans that likes Vince and would welcome him back with open arms, but he'll never be the go-to guy.

Kidd is amazing, admittedly, but his body has a lot of miles on it. He can't turn it on like he used to, and he has those flashes of brilliance, but really he tends to slow down a lot. Jefferson is pretty good.

So the Nets will be really good, better than last year, but I'm still not willing to say they'll finish ahead of the Raptors next year, especially with Garbo back in the lineup all the way through the season. Celtics are a wild card at this point, who knows how well they will gel together, and how great KG's impact will really be. I'd say they're the favourite, but I'm not gonna write off a team like the Raptors, who built themselves up the traditional way with young players poised to break through, against a team that was horribly bad last year who simply added a bunch of stars. Bosh actually finished ahead of KG in terms of the all NBA team. Do I think that means he's better? Hell no, but the fact is he's on or close to his level at this point.

The Raptors have a great core of big men, which is especially helpful in the East, and one of the deepest benches in the league. Combine that with the fact that they have youth on their side (inexperience which cost them in the playoffs last year) and they look to go forward, not backward.

I don't think he is particularly untouchable in Miami.

And as for Jason Kidd, here is the thing people. Jason can play the exact same way for the next 10 years if he wanted to.

There is nothing high impact about how Jason Kidd plays. It doesn't depend on speed, athletism, none of that. It depends on pure speed.

he isn't going to beat anyone in a foot race, and if you have noticed, those coast to coast layups he gets is completely on the other team backpedaling trying to cut off passing lanes and forget to stop the ball.

His lateral defense is going to suffer, but seriously, Kidd a year older means nothing in the long run.

Garnett Fallout

-The Celtics have signed Eddie House and Jackie Manuel. That gives them 11 players under contract for next year.

-Doc Rivers was on Espnnews this afternoon and implied that they had found their point guard and would be making a move soon.

-They have made inquiries into PJ Brown and Dikembe Mutombo. Brown wants the full mid-level exception, which probably takes him out of the running. Mutombo is out of the country at the moment.

-The T'wolves are expected to cut Ryan Gomes. He may return to Boston.

Garnett Fallout

-The Celtics have signed Eddie House and Jackie Manuel. That gives them 11 players under contract for next year.

-Doc Rivers was on Espnnews this afternoon and implied that they had found their point guard and would be making a move soon.

-They have made inquiries into PJ Brown and Dikembe Mutombo. Brown wants the full mid-level exception, which probably takes him out of the running. Mutombo is out of the country at the moment.

-The T'wolves are expected to cut Ryan Gomes. He may return to Boston.

If they get Gomes back...whooo. I like the signing of Eddie House too. He gives you exactly what Gerald Green gave you.

The T'wolves are expected to cut Ryan Gomes.

And that's why they're the T'Wolves. Bunch of fucking idiots that entire FO is. "Aw, that Mark Madsen right there, he's a real basketball player, but Ryan Gomes, who the fuck is he, definitely not good enough for our basketball outfit that's for sure."

Eddie House is a good pickup for the Celtics. Good to know that they're finding "glue players" in order to fill the holes the team had after the Garnett deal. Also good to know that they wasted absolutely no time in doing so. Mutombo would be a good pickup too.