TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Golden State re-signs Matt Barnes to a one-year deal for $3.5 million. They also signed Austin Croshere to a one-year deal on Friday.

Dallas signs Eddie Jones to a two-year deal with the first year at $1.83 million, and the most recent rumor is that they could sign Chris Webber for the MLE.

Yeah, I saw the Jones thing for the Mavs the other day and I saw they are trying to split the mid-level for Webber and Posey. It seems like Dallas has been active, but the only guy I can remember leaving is Croshere just signing with Golden State. I know Mavs already signed Brandon Bass (which I think the rumor was if they signed him, Pops Mensah-Bonsu was a goner) and retained J.J. Barea, it seems like they have a ton of people under contract, only to keep signing.

I hope we get him. But not for Bynum. I guess that's a deal killer right there. But he didn't demand or ask for a trade at all.

According to some reports I've read the deal breaker was Bird asking for Bynum AND Odom. The Lakers were countering with Bynum and spare change contracts.

I guess Jermaine O'Neil wants a trade to the Lakers. Yawn.

Anyone else getting tired of these guys who are paid to be franchise players complaining when their teams aren't good enough? You are paid to the face of the team, with the entire squad built around you. Stop bitching because you can't get the team over the hump. Public trade demands are so low class.

Every situation is different though. Like Pau Gasol bitching when the only reason his team is losing is because he fucked up his ankle in the Olympics is BS. Its not like you have a bad team. Its the same team that got to the playoffs, and lost, in part because of your inability to adjust in said playoffs. So fuck off.

In Jermaine Oneil or Kobes cases. These guys have watched as the front office tries to build for the future at the expense of their prime years. I mean, take Kevin Garnett. You play in minne all those years, you watch Kevin Mchale cripple the team with the dumb Joe Smith ordeal, the team finally gets you talent, then they trade one of them to the Clippers for Marko Jaric, and decide to stand firm on not giving Sprewell more money(he apparently wasn't worth that Trenton Hassell money).

Their management refused to give Sam Cassell and Sprewell the money they wanted but paid marco Jarick and Mike james twice what cassell and sprewell were asking for.

Yes, he should be able to bitch. You should be able to bitch if you trade a guy averaging 17 and 8(I think) for your team to Washington for Kwame fucking brown. You should be able to bitch if the team doesn't trade a third string Center for one of the greatest point guards and teammates of all times.

Sometimes it's hard to bitch if you're making like 100 million dollars over several years. Didn't Jordan like only take a million a year till they built a team around him?

Sometimes it's hard to bitch if you're making like 100 million dollars over several years. Didn't Jordan like only take a million a year till they built a team around him?

A: No.

B: He also had those nice endorsements.

Its not hard to bitch when management is making OBVIOUSLY bad moves.

Well, they get endorsements too. But it's like if you're way over the cap, and you're still making mad money, what would it hurt to take a little money for like a year or two? Sure they haven't made great moves, but lets not act like they are solely responsible for what's going on. And it's taking for granted that you need to make 18 million or so a year that's part of the problem.

That would be a good argument if management wasn't giving out huge contracts to guys that are sucking. Take San Antonio. They have just as many big contract guys as other teams, but their big contract guys do that thing called playing well.

Just like Phoenix. marion, amare, and nash all make over 10 a year, and they back it up with play.

Also in Detroit. And in Dallas (okay...maybe not Dampier...but he is solid).

Good teams use their money to get players that will do well. Bad teams overpay guys just to say they have them on the team.

There is no reasonable excuse for Trenton Hassell, Mike James and Marco Jaric to have been eating up that much cap space in Minny. There is no excuse for Kyle Korver, Willie Green and Samuel Dalembert to have those contracts in Philly. Just because KG or AI were making big bucks doesn't mean they should loose the ability to point that out.

The money issue had nothing to do with why these teams suck(the ones with the angry stars). Look at how much money Mike Dunlevey and Troy Murphy are making in Indiana. Those are BIG contracts. Look at what Kwame, Lamar and Vlad Radmanivic are making in LA. These are things to be mad about (maybe not Lamar, but you get the point)

Darren McFadden did the same thing with his car. I really hope the trend continues. Though Darren McFadden didn't have Ben Franklin smoking a blunt on the hood. I guess that's the difference between the pro and college games.

I saw that car in front of a hotel in Downtown Portland the other day and I was wondering who the hell it belonged to. I should have keyed it.

Celtics call Miller, who is considering return to NBA

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 13th in scoring (25,279) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

J.A. Adande is a contributor to ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

if that happens, it's going to wind up being the equivalent of the bruins bringing in paul coffey. how much can miller think he can contribute, how much does he feel his contribution is worth, and how much can he (this is huge) actually contribute? i highly doubt that those three factors are all in sync, and unless they are this deal won't end well.

edit: then i re-read it. it wasn't even his idea? i guess ainge really wants to turn the celtics into the malone-era lakers.

Miller was effective catching the ball in rhythm off of screens and killing people from deep. he has never been a great spot up shooter like Ray Allen can be. The Celtics, if they work a inside out attack, would be better served kicking the tires on Allan Houston if they want retired shooter.

Guest Vitamin X

What the fuck! So, who else can the Celtics acquire before the season starts? Hey, throw in Karl Malone while they're at it.

Wasn't Pippen thinking about coming out of retirement towards the end of last season? I'm sure he could fit into this Boston setup in a similar role that they are suggesting for Miller.

I wouldn't mind that, he'd be able to fill out that reserve role quite well. Could also serve as a mentor for the younger players and teach them some of the finer points. I always liked Reggie and if he actually did this I wouldn't mind cheering for them as I'd like to see him get a ring.

I think there is a little too much piling on to Boston here. They are over the cap. The can sign as many vets to the vets minimum as they want. That has to be their target for players right now.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm sure it's extremely disappointing for Pacer fans, though. I remember being miffed, for example, when Reggie White came out of retirement to play a couple useless seasons with the Carolina Panthers, and White didn't even play his whole career in Green Bay. Reggie Miller was a lifelong Pacer, and the fact that he retired with the team, and then goes and signs with the hot new shit is kind of lame.

Should have named this thread "This week in the Boston Celtics", lolz

I'm all for Reggie coming back if it gets him a ring, but Boston's not going to beat anyone out of the West. He'd be better served going somewhere like San Antonio or Dallas. Not to discredit Phoenix, I'm just not sure how well he'd fit in there.

Eh. I don't see any team that you can say would definately beat them in the west. Or the east. And you can't say they would definately beat any team in the East or the west.

But the point is they have 3 levels of tough to defend players and a great defensive point guard. Fill that hole of defense at the center position and you have a team that can matchup well with ANYONE.

by adding decent players at the vet mininmum.

As it stands they have a decent rotation of:

Garnett

Allen

Pierce

Rondo

Tony Allen(big maybe here)

Eddie House

Scot Pollard

Kendrik Perkins

Brian Scalabrine

I also like Leon Powe and Glen Davis.

So they aren't exactly going to set the world with their bench, but they have some talent there.

Perkins is a solid defensive player at Center but he tends to get into foul trouble alot. If he can back of just a bit and let Pollard do the dirty work they might be ok there.

I maybe overrate Rondo a bit because he really has not proven anything yet, but I have very high hopes for him on this team. He has NO pressure to score at all and as long as he can distribute the ball well and play his usual great defense he will be just fine. Not to mention he will have plenty of opportunities to take the wide open jumper(his weakness).

Wouldn't be upset if Miller came out of retirement but those situations don't usually go well. House is a nice shooter off the bench and Davis should be another solid 2nd rounder which AInge has a history of finding. Tony Allen is a big key to the bench though. IF he can bounce backl from his stupidity injury of last season and play with the energy he did he will be a very huge piece to this team. He seems to have that "spark" on offense and I believe he is a really good defender as well.

For all the hype around the Trio and the offensive weapons this team now has they also have the best defensive team they have had in years...KG being the leader in that category.