TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Examples of Milking a Franchise After It's Lifespan Ended

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Whoa, did someone say there's a new RAMBO coming out? Best.

The third Turtles film was pretty poor and having sat through interminable sequels for Urban Legend and Candyman, I can safely say they need putting out to pasture.

That said, the Friday the 13th series, barring the abortion of Jason Goes To Hell, is always entertaining, even the lesser films like X and V. Jason Lives is one of the most fun horror sequels I've ever watched and The Final Chapter (6 "chapters" ago) was excellent too. Nightmare On Elm Street admittedly did suck after the first one though.

Some franchises aren't milked so much as they are bobbled. TMNT is an example of a bobbled franchise and I think Hellraiser is another example of one that was just really messed up. There was still plenty of stories that could have been told for both and they fell into low budget moronic hell.

Disney are the masters of milking a franchise but rarely if ever do the non-cgi sequels get into the theaters. But you can damn sure bet they will put out sequels of classics that are really bad and really short as well. Although Kronk's New Groove was great.

Ghostbusters was put out to pasture by the studio. Apparently it was all ready to roll even with Murray back (since Bill is back and forth on things so much) but the studio didn't feel there was interest. But they did feel like there was interest in a Fog remake and Basic Instinct 2. Go figure.

Oh, and as for cartoons, what about Transformers? There's been like a dozen different series around the same basic premise, plus another movie coming out soon.

I'm a Transformers nut, but that only goes as far as Generation 1 (the first series 1984-1987 and the original Marvel comic run)...the rest is garbage. Even the newer TF comics (though the art work is beautiful). Now, as for the movie, I am going to see it just because, but my expectations aren't very high.

Even the Beast Wars/Machines part? Which...unlike most of the other newer Transformers stuff, is actually a continuation of G1?

Disney are the masters of milking a franchise but rarely if ever do the non-cgi sequels get into the theaters. But you can damn sure bet they will put out sequels of classics that are really bad and really short as well. Although Kronk's New Groove was great.

I blame the recent trend of dishing out sequel after sequel to their old classics squarely on whatever success "Return of Jafar" had.

Luckily though, from what I read, either "Cinderella III", "Peter Pan III" or "Little Mermaid III" will end that trend. Whichever comes out last.

Invader, if you note my first post on the thread I did mention Friday the 13th as a series that outstayed its welcome. I didn't mention Nightmare on Elm Street since there are a few of the sequels that are pretty solid (part 3, New Nightmare, etc).

American Pie. The Wedding one wasn't entirely bad because most of the cast came back, but Band Camp was horrible. The new one coming out "The Naked Mile" is all over the place to watch on the net and is actually pretty funny but they should have stopped at 3 without a doubt.

Star Wars.

Six movies. Fine, not a problem. Just please stop re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releasing them.

Zombie movies: Night of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Return of the Dead ripoffs

Air Bud - basketball

Air Bud: Golden Receiver - football

Air Bud: World Pup - soccer

Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch - baseball

Air Bud: Spikes Back - Volleyball

And theres Air Buddies coming soon..who the hell knows what thats about..

Im also demanding they dont put Ace Ventura prequel/sequel out either..it wont be the same without Jim Carrey

In keeping with the season. The Big Four of Christmas Specials. Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch, and Charlie Brown have all had horrible sequels.

OK...I've known about sequels to Rudolph, Frosty, and The Grinch...

But when did the Charlie Brown Christmas special get a sequel? O_o

I got a good one.

Robocop.

It's been mentioned.

And going back to my last post...I think Rudolph, Frosty, and Grinch have had a few sequels:

RUDOLPH:

Rudolph's Shiny New Year

Rudolph & the Island of Misfit Toys

FROSTY:

Frosty's Winter Wonderland

Frosty Returns

The Legend of Frosty The Snowman (most recent special)

BOTH:

Rudolph & Frosty's Christmas In July

GRINCH:

Halloween is Grinch Night

The Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat.

Any I'm missing?

Highlander, there should had only been one! Part 2 had the stupid storyline of making the immortal's space aliens from some other planet, STUPID! Part 3 had Mario Van Peeples as the bad guy frozen in a glacier or some SHIT. End Game just like Robocop 3 looked like a bad made-for-tv movie which of course looked worst than the tv series pilot.

Scary Movie?

From 2 writers of the original film and Marlon's 8th grade son and the producers of the Naked Gun franchise comes Not Another Scary Teen Date Epic Gun Movie on a Plane! Staring Ana Feris, Leslie Neilson, Tony Cox, Kal Penn, Anthony Anderson, Regina Hall, Kathy Griffin and the rest of the D List all stars.

In keeping with the season. The Big Four of Christmas Specials. Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch, and Charlie Brown have all had horrible sequels.

OK...I've known about sequels to Rudolph, Frosty, and The Grinch...

But when did the Charlie Brown Christmas special get a sequel? O_o

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104534/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382602/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387301/

The Leprechaun series. Seriously..Leprechaun in the Hood? Leprechaun in Space?

Call me crazy (and you will) but I thought the Leprechaun series got better over time. Not saying any of them were truly decent films, even by horror standards but the first two tried to take themselves seriously. But as it went on, each film got more and more of a sense of self-awareness and more of a sense of "Fuck it! We're talking about killer leprauchauns, let's try to have some fun."

I actually like the fourth Highlander film. I like how they brought the movie and TV show togetehr on the big screen, if only for one time.

I do agree that Part 2 was a steaming pile of shit. Never saw Part 3.

Oh, and as for cartoons, what about Transformers? There's been like a dozen different series around the same basic premise, plus another movie coming out soon.

Blame Japan. All of these Transformers shows are just dubbed Japanese imports. Except maybe Beast Wars & Beast Machines. But it's like how there are a million different Pokemans episodes. Or Dragonball.

For American cartoons, I really hated that new Looney Tunes show where all of the old Looney Tunes characters were anime-style and fought crime like superheroes. I don't know if it's still on the air but it was awful. I don't think that people are tired of Looney Tunes, the old shows are classic, and they updated it successfully before (I loved Tiny Toons when I was small). But that new show was terrible.

That 70's show after Topher Grace and Ashtun Kucher left it, and the redhead turned blonde.

And for that matter, the entirely unrrelated and short lived "sister" series "That 80s Show"