TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Guest Smues

For all the bitching about how over covered this will be by ESPN, I haven't been able to see any of it yet and I've been flipping through the ESPN's looking for it.

You always take players from shitty teams. they will put up some great numbers.

Oh yeah, by the way, fuck the Bulls and Ben Gordon.

Seriously though, great game between them and the Hawks, as the Hawks have lost seemingly all their games by less than 4 points.

ANd some point it has to come to coaching and they can't write up a play to score with the game on the line. Plus the fact that Woodson apparently doesnt know how to substitute to save his life.

Josh Childress should be back for the next game as should Tyronne Lue so the Hawks will FINALLY have their entire team. It should be interesting.

Guest Smues

And ESPN News delivers the goods. Holy cow what a pussy Carmelo is, he's practically running away as he throws the punch.

That "flagrant" was not brawl worthy. He could have taken Smith's fucking head off, but he let up.

Props to Jared Jeffries for trying to stick up for Collins after the bitch slap, and a big fuck you to Nate Robinson. YOU ARE NOT SCARING ANYBODY. I don't even think that the suits at MSG would back down from a fight with Nate.

Guest Smues
Top story for ESPN is the basketbrawl.

How many times does this get replayed on ESPN over the next week? I'm thinking upward of 100.

Let me break it down:

6 hours of Sportcenter repeats every day

The whole week discussion on both PTI and Around the Horn

Screaming Stephen A. Smith will interview everybody

NBA Live crew will run it in the ground every 4 hours or so

Behind the Lines will have at least 4 shows about it with classic footage from basketbrawls from the past

Don't forget that somebody will try to turn this into a race issue. How I have no idea, but it seems like a rule that they have to find a race angle for every story.

Guest Smues
That "flagrant" was not brawl worthy. He could have taken Smith's fucking head off, but he let up.

Props to Jared Jeffries for trying to stick up for Collins after the bitch slap, and a big fuck you to Nate Robinson. YOU ARE NOT SCARING ANYBODY. I don't even think that the suits at MSG would back down from a fight with Nate.

I'm still laughing from seeing Nate jumping up and down trying to act tough.

Call it homerism but Anthony only backed away, expecting a horde of Knicks to follow and readying himself, especially as Camby got in-between and more people did the same. He was still ready to go later as Robinson approached. Of course it was still a dick move and a shitty punch on review, the only thing that made it look any good was Collins tripping.

There was also no way Smith was going to be able to dunk that once Collins got in between, much less some reverse deal like Isiah referred to. It would've been a lay-up attempt at best so the horse collar was excessive at that point.

Yeah, thats homerism. Anthony backed away because Jeffries was dragging the entire arena behind him trying to kick his ass.I

Isaiah was talking about a play before where they were doing acrobatics on a break away. There is no doubt Karl and his players were trying to show up Isaiah and his team at home. Its bad taste anyway and when you do shit like that you should expect the ever loving shit to be fouled out of you.

Top story for ESPN is the basketbrawl.

How many times does this get replayed on ESPN over the next week? I'm thinking upward of 100.

Let me break it down:

6 hours of Sportcenter repeats every day

The whole week discussion on both PTI and Around the Horn

Screaming Stephen A. Smith will interview everybody

NBA Live crew will run it in the ground every 4 hours or so

Behind the Lines will have at least 4 shows about it with classic footage from basketbrawls from the past

Don't forget that somebody will try to turn this into a race issue. How I have no idea, but it seems like a rule that they have to find a race angle for every story.

Blame rap for it! Everyone wants to be a baller, hustler, pimp, etc...I can't wait what new rules the commish will invent to punish the players and what counter grievances the players union will file in the aftermatch.

Mardy seems to be the only guy with balls on the team to throw someone down who's been showboating with dunks and all that crap after the game is done.

Nate wasn't the only one doing his Stephen Jackson impression. JR Smith did his shit too, and tried to go after Nate, but Nate reversed the move and tackled him into the crowd, then that got broken up.

I liked 'Melo, but that was the gayest shit you could do in the situation. A little punch/slap to Collins, while he's backing away. Camby had to trip Jeffries, because if he didn't, he would've beaten the shit out of pussy 'Melo. Jeffries is cool.

And I wish Q wasn't hurt and on the court. He would've taken care of business.

Yeah, thats homerism. Anthony backed away because Jeffries was dragging the entire arena behind him trying to kick his ass.I

Isaiah was talking about a play before where they were doing acrobatics on a break away. There is no doubt Karl and his players were trying to show up Isaiah and his team at home. Its bad taste anyway and when you do shit like that you should expect the ever loving shit to be fouled out of you.

Oh I know the play he was talking about. It was nothing but a reverse, however, nothing excessive in the context of a game where it was still within distance. It's not like he pulled some NBA Jam shit by going through his legs with it... or bounced it off the floor and traveled in the process like a dumbass.

The only thing Karl is guilty of is not pulling people earlier but with the way they've blown their leads this year it's understandable waiting until then. Just before the fight began he had sent Kleiza out to the table so I think he was ready to start pulling guys.

And hard fouls, yes, but not bulldogging players down with an arm around their neck. Just getting between him and the basket and coming down on his arms or putting a body on him is enough.

For all the bitching about how over covered this will be by ESPN, I haven't been able to see any of it yet and I've been flipping through the ESPN's looking for it.

They're getting warmed up right now...give them a bit.

Maybe this will take away Tony Romo screen time this week?

How it'll break down:

15-20: Carmelo. His punch will be the one focused upon the most by ESPN and the like; Stern will crack down hard on him to show the league is tough on these events, with Detroit/Indiana still reasonably fresh on everyone's minds.

10: Nate Robinson/J.R. Smith/Mardy Collins: Collins for the flagrant that ultimately started everything, Robinson and Smith for flying into the crowd and sending the event into national coverage.

8: Jared Jeffries: Going after Carmelo. He was sticking up for a teammate, but that won't matter.

5: Marcus Camby/Andre Miller/Eduardo Najera/Channing Frye/David Lee: Being involved in the whole deal; I could see theirs being lower.

30: Ron Artest: This is just out of pure habit by Stern.

Camby should get suspended. He tripped up Jeffries.

Najera, Lee, Frye, and Miller aren't going to get games. They didn't do anything.

Artest will be out till the all-star break.

Guest Princess Leena

I hope Carmelo gets suspended 30+ games just for being a pussy.

He pushes around Nate Robinson, then a lame sucker punch once everything was finished with Collins, then ran away like a scolded kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OU3poUtNsE

Two things I found funny..

Marbury still has the towel over his head the whole time.

And after 'Melo sucker punches Collins, while he's trying to run away, Camby is holding on to his jersey, and you could see 'Melo is thinking "Let the fuck go man", trying to get as far away as possible.

Camby should get suspended. He tripped up Jeffries.

I couldn't even see Camby do anything, though I was watching on the tiny ESPN Motion box that never shuts up when I'm on the front page. I think he'll stay at five.

Najera, Lee, Frye, and Miller aren't going to get games. They didn't do anything.
They got tossed, so they'll get more than just a fine. Anywhere from three to five at this point.

Remember, the suspensions are as much PR as they are discipline for the players. I can easily see Stern giving everyone harsh suspensions, the players union filing an appeal (which they'll do anyway once the suspensions are announced) and Stern lowering the number for those five.

Artest will be out till the all-star break.

Gotta promote that follow-up album sometime.

I totally forgot about the Isiah/Karl thing, that was all over the NY papers early in the season. Isiah took exception to comments Karl made about the Larry Brown thing, got in his face about it at a summer league game, and called him out in the press saying he "should keep his mouth shut about us and worry about his own team"

So yeah, that's probably the root cause of the whole thing. Karl wanted to run up the score on Isiah, Mardy Collins was trying to impress his coach. Isiah was on the Bad Boys and with the things he says in the media, and no doubt to his team, he's not so subtly called for something like this. Frankly I'm all for it. This is going to build character and make us a tougher team, and I love Jared Jeffries taking his role on the team to heart. If he's going to be our defensive stopper and live up to all the hype Isiah has laid on him he's got to have that attitude. And really, I hate that the Knicks are the laughingstock of the NBA, shit like this makes me proud to be a Knicks fan, because when I think of success for the Knicks I think of hard-nosed, take no shit teams. Charles Oakley, John Starks, Anthony Mason, brawls with the Miami Heat, that's my Knicks, and as a team they need that chip on your shoulder to win playing in the 'mecca of basketball'

And would anyone here seriously want Nate Robinson coming at them in a fight. Dude has a major complex about his height, he's unbalanced, I bet he'd fight dirty as shit.

Nate tackled the shit out of JR Smith. It's not like he got beatdown once Smith got to him.

Knick fights like these bring a tear to my eye.

Fucking Nate Robinson.

If I had to assess suspensions, they would revolve around Melo, Nate, Collins and J.R. Smith.

Everyone else is mostly innocent for the most part. They have to make an example out of the guys that provoke and aggravate these fights, not the ones that are involved in a roundabout way. Jeffries has a right to be pissed about Melo throwing that punch - he had a natural reaction to that, and he shouldn't be punished. Camby should be rewarded for saving Melo's life too.

Reminds me again why I hate Melo. That was the sorriest bitch move by a player since Jamal Tinsley brought a dustpan to the Palace Brawl

This "brawl" only confirms that the NBA players are the worst fighters in all of professional sports. I've seen better brawls at rodeos. Carmelo taking the cheap shot that I don't think even hit and then punking out like that was fantastic. LeBron and Wade are superstars and Carmelo will be known for that pussy act for quite some time.

Reminds me again why I hate Melo. That was the sorriest bitch move by a player since Jamal Tinsley brought a dustpan to the Palace Brawl

Jamaal Tinsley's ninja dustpan sword was awesome. I don't blame him, either. If I get into a fight in Detroit, I'm grabbing whatever weapon I can find as well.

At least Carmelo's punch sounded good.

Still only like .4 DET/IND.

The old Celtics/Sixers fights blow this one out of the water. Still, it's the first major hootenanny since Det/Ind, so comparisons are going to be made (and blown out of context).

When Carmelo ends up taking January off here, he can take a couple classes in any martial art and learn to throw a decent strike.

I will go ahead and reiterate that Carmelo made a bitch move by "punching" Nate and then making it to half-court in record time. And if the Knicks are pissed that they are getting embarassed at home, maybe they should actually, you know, not let the other team get up by 20+ points.

Tinsley bringing the dustpan into the brawl at the Palace just added to the over-the-topness of that brawl.

He ran so fast that the camera couldn't keep up with him. It was like someone ran a play action and the camera man bit on it.

Would someone share with me what the fuck Nate Robinson did when he actually did get to Melo? Like you know how the entire league was holding back Jared. Nate just comes up and pumps his fist. With no one around him. He was so trying to kick ass.

Guest Princess Leena

Why did Camby hold up Carmelo? To not make the team leader not look like a wimp?