TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Someone mentioned this board not having a CTDWAT.

Anyhoo, I'm doing research for a thesis paper and was looking through the archives of the local newspaper and found a bizarre, wrestling reference laden article about the 1998 Maine Gubernatorial Election. Interesting how the writer calls the WWF, The Worldwide Wrestling Federation almost twenty years after the name change.. Must have been an old school fan.

I might be imagining this, but it seemed on election night that Gov. Angus King was more pumped than usual. He declared to supporters at his victory celebration that Maine isn't going to walk or jog into the next millennium.

You can't blame King for being a little loud about himself in the wake of Tuesday's Maine elections. The governor rolled over Republican Jim Longley and Democrat Tom Connolly like Hulk Hogan dispatching a couple of "pencil-necked geeks."

In an address to a hastily arranged business group in Bangor Wednesday afternoon, King repeated his "BLAST" our way into the 21st century prediction and put out the word to Washington that he and "The Body" were going to kick some BUTT when the nation's governors convene in Washington on Feb. 20-23 to set the political agenda for the National Governors Association.

Full Text (724 words)

Copyright Bangor Publishing Company Nov 7, 1998

I might be imagining this, but it seemed on election night that Gov. Angus King was more pumped than usual. He declared to supporters at his victory celebration that Maine isn't going to walk or jog into the next millennium.

"We're going to BLAST into the 21st century," said the governor, with emphasis on the word "BLAST."

It's gotta be the WWF factor, I said to myself. That's the Worldwide Wrestling Federation.

You can't blame King for being a little loud about himself in the wake of Tuesday's Maine elections. The governor rolled over Republican Jim Longley and Democrat Tom Connolly like Hulk Hogan dispatching a couple of "pencil-necked geeks."

The combined Republican and Democratic gubernatorial vote was 31 percent. Independent King's total was 59 percent, the best showing ever in a Maine governor's race with more than two candidates.

What happened in Maine was just part of the story. Minnesota voters shocked America by electing as their governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura, a real-life former WWF wrestler. The son of Hubert Humphrey, Minnesota's political icon, finished third in that race.

In an address to a hastily arranged business group in Bangor Wednesday afternoon, King repeated his "BLAST" our way into the 21st century prediction and put out the word to Washington that he and "The Body" were going to kick some BUTT when the nation's governors convene in Washington on Feb. 20-23 to set the political agenda for the National Governors Association.

"The Body" and he, said King, were forming a new tag team. They are going to challenge the establishment governors to "an arm-wrestling contest."

It's been 50 years, according to NGA spokeswoman Becky Fleischauer, since a third-party governor served concurrently with another independent. King just missed hooking up with Connecticut's independent Gov. Lowell Weicker in 1994. Weicker retired the year that Maine voters picked King over Democrat Joe Brennan, Republican Susan Collins and Green Party nominee Jonathan Carter.

After his Bangor engagement King was sanguine about the election.

"It's hard to talk about a {national} trend with only two people," he said. The governor hasn't talked with Ventura yet but says he will hook up with his Minnesota soul mate at the NGA convention.

Fleischauer said the media are already is pestering her with questions about The Body. George Walker Bush and Jeb Bush, whose wins in the Texas and Florida governors race may help chart a new course for Republicans, will be the stars when the governors convene in Washington, D.C. There will be, however, a lot of interest in King and Ventura, she speculated.

Anyway you look at it, 1998 was an WWF-type election year.

At the top of the ticket, Bill "Macho Man" Clinton broke more political ring rules than the NWO (New World Order), the renegade bunch led by "Hollywood Hogan" (the Hulkster gone bad) that's trying to take over Ted Turner's wrestling circuit. The "Oval Office Groper" disgraced himself with Monica Lewinsky. And then, lied to the American people, his cabinet and a federal grand jury.

When the polling places closed Tuesday, Clinton had taken down Al D'Amato, the New York Republican who headed the Senate's Watergate investigation; Lauch Faircloth, the North Carolina Republican who is said to have played a role in setting Ken Starr on the first family; and California GOP candidate Matt Fong, who had the audacity to challenge Hillary Clinton's in-law, Sen. Barbara Boxer.

The biggest head on Clinton's political pike may be Newt Gingrich, who could be ousted by dispirited Republican House members later this month. It was Gingrich, you may recall, who last summer promised never to make another speech in which he did not denounce the president as a felony waiting to happen. Tuesday's elections may have turned on news stories that fingered the House speaker as the brain behind last-minute television commercials urging voters not to "reward" Clinton for comporting himself like an X-rated Richard Nixon.

On Tuesday, Bill Clinton drop kicked Ken Starr's impeachment process out of the ring. The same election put Newt Gingrich on the ropes, pile-drived Faircloth and D'Amato out of the U.S. Senate and returned vote-rich California to the Democratic electoral tent.

As Vince McMahon would say, now that was a "November dismember to remember."

John S. Day is a Bangor Daily News columnist based in Washington, D.C. His e-mail address is [email protected].

I think Michael Cole is a pretty good announcer.

Agreed...I still think most of the hate directed at him is based on when he took over for Jim Ross on Monday Night RAW in '98 or so (after JR's bell's palsy attack). He was pretty green and terrible back then, but I think he's now one of the best play-by-play commentator's in wrestling.

You know, in hindsight WCW probably could have turned Hogan back in 94 when he first arrived. All the subsequent talent that came down from the WWF shortly afterward (Savage, Avalanche, Beefcake, Honkey, Bossman) could have all easily been the heels from up north battling the likes of Vader, Flair, Sting, Arn, Austin and others. A psuedo-nWo angle two years early and Hulk could have easily had the necessary heat for it.

I think Michael Cole is a pretty good announcer.

Agreed...I still think most of the hate directed at him is based on when he took over for Jim Ross on Monday Night RAW in '98 or so (after JR's bell's palsy attack). He was pretty green and terrible back then, but I think he's now one of the best play-by-play commentator's in wrestling.

Both well-said and spot on.

You know, in hindsight WCW probably could have turned Hogan back in 94 when he first arrived. All the subsequent talent that came down from the WWF shortly afterward (Savage, Avalanche, Beefcake, Honkey, Bossman) could have all easily been the heels from up north battling the likes of Vader, Flair, Sting, Arn, Austin and others. A psuedo-nWo angle two years early and Hulk could have easily had the necessary heat for it.

Factor in that aside from Savage and Bossman (who was actually in well before Hogan) the crowd pretty much hated every WWF guy that got brought in during the era, I'd say that's accurate. Hell, I noticed that they started doing more and more TV and PPVs from places outside normal WCW strongholds just to try and make it appear that WCW crowds cheered Hogan

Factor in that aside from Savage and Bossman (who was actually in well before Hogan) the crowd pretty much hated every WWF guy that got brought in during the era, I'd say that's accurate. Hell, I noticed that they started doing more and more TV and PPVs from places outside normal WCW strongholds just to try and make it appear that WCW crowds cheered Hogan

I had forgotten about Bossman. Well then they could have easily done a loyalty angle with both Steamboat and Bossman, where the former chooses WCW, while the latter picks the guys coming down.

Random thought of the day:

Why is it when the American Wrestling Federation debuted in 1995, they decided to use the British rounds system?

It's the Bret/HBK Iron man match that doesn't get a lot of love here.

I was disapointed in that match the first time I saw it. I envisoned them trading a few pin falls with it ending up 3-2 HBK in with a pinfall in the last 10 seconds. What I got was an hour plus of mat wrestling. I didn't have the attention span for that kind of match when I was 12. Plus it was well publicized that Brett was going on a long vacation after WM so the result was never in doubt in my mind. I guess I need to rewatch it know to see how I would like it know.

I think the time that Scott Steiner put 3 guys into the SteinerRecliner at the same time was one of the greatest moments in wrestling history.

I just recently started visiting Kayfabe memories again and it's the same old same old, with NWA marks flaming and baiting posters in the WWF 83-89 forum. Now I know why I left in the first place.

Random thought of the day:

Why is it when the American Wrestling Federation debuted in 1995, they decided to use the British rounds system?

Basically to make themselves different, and also to cover for the fact that most of their roster was pretty old.

Did anyone vote in the RSPW awards this year? I recused myself this year because I haven't watched enough of anything to have a valid opinion.

Perhaps a better question: Does anyone know what the RSPW awards even are?

I think the time that Scott Steiner put 3 guys into the SteinerRecliner at the same time was one of the greatest moments in wrestling history.

This was amazing, but it comes in second to the night on Nitro when Scott defeated 6 or so cruiserweights BY HIMSELF. He nearly killed 3 of them as well which was the icing on the cake, especially Evan Karagias who was on the receiving end of a Second Rope Exploder.

Did anyone vote in the RSPW awards this year? I recused myself this year because I haven't watched enough of anything to have a valid opinion.

Yes, I used to go on RSPW all the time...but have you visited it lately? It was alwasy kind of crummy, and hard to wade through to get to the good stuff, but it's worse now, only with less quality postings.

Yes, I used to go on RSPW all the time...but have you visited it lately? It was alwasy kind of crummy, and hard to wade through to get to the good stuff, but it's worse now, only with less quality postings.

Oh, I know. I actually haven't visited the newsgroup in nearly a decade, but I usually found the awards ballot on the web and voted.

I was happy to see my cable company (Cogeco in Ontario) is once again updating 24/7 properly after a couple of shaky weeks. I watched the 11/4/96 Monday Night War (which would be the Gun incident Raw) this morning - even though I just recently saw all of the segments for the first time via the Pillman DVD, it was still pretty interesting and unusual to watch due to the way Vince was selling it during the show. He was going on about how close the lines of reality and what the World Wrestling Federation portrays can be so close, and later in the show how some people are too deep into believing in their characters.

The same show had Sid yelling bullshit at HBK during an in-ring face to face interview and calling Jim Ross "fatso". I found that amusing.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/index.asp?ID=6495

Legal Wrestling Match Between DDP & Jay-Z Continues, Rocawear Added To Lawsuit

By Nolan Strong

Date: 12/11/2006 6:30 pm

The legal wrestling match between wrestler Diamond Dallas Page and Jay-Z continues in court, as the wrestler has added Roc-A-Wear to a trademark and copyright infringement lawsuit.

Diamond Dallas Page filed the original lawsuit in December of 2005 in Los Angeles Federal Court, claiming that Jay-Z's popular Roc-A-Fella diamond hand gesture was illegally adopted from his patented "Diamond Cutter" symbol.

Today (Dec. 11), a federal judge granted a motion to add Rocawear, Roc Apparel Group LLC, Urban Menswear LLC and Rocawear Licensing LLC to the lawsuit, which seeks an injunction to prevent Jay-Z from using the symbol, as well as an unspecified amount of monetary damages.

Page decided to add Rocawear to the existing lawsuit, after he learned Jay-Z recently used the hand gesture to market and promote the Rocawear clothing line.

"Many athletes and celebrities also flashed the Diamond Cutter sports celebration move," states the lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles Federal Court. "In Game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals against the Chicago Bulls, Karl Malone, the Utah Jazz star basketball player, flashed the Diamond Cutter Trademark during the game and referred to the symbol as Plaintiff's hand sign. Similarly, former professional football player and Dallas Cowboy star running back, Herschel Walker used the Diamond Cutter Trademark after a 64 yard touchdown run and also acknowledged that it was Plaintiff's signature trademark."

Page, who is shooting the movie Gallow Walker in South Africa with Wesley Snipes, says that he used the symbol to promote his DDP character while working for World Championship Wrestling (WCW) as early as 1996.

The wrestler used the hand gesture just before executing his signature finishing move in the ring, the "Diamond Cutter."

Due to the popularity of the hand gesture, Page used it in other business endeavors including a pair of inspirational products including the Yoga For Regular Guys DVD series and book, and an upcoming audio book titled Own Your Life.

I was happy to see my cable company (Cogeco in Ontario) is once again updating 24/7 properly after a couple of shaky weeks. I watched the 11/4/96 Monday Night War (which would be the Gun incident Raw) this morning - even though I just recently saw all of the segments for the first time via the Pillman DVD, it was still pretty interesting and unusual to watch due to the way Vince was selling it during the show. He was going on about how close the lines of reality and what the World Wrestling Federation portrays can be so close, and later in the show how some people are too deep into believing in their characters.

The same show had Sid yelling bullshit at HBK during an in-ring face to face interview and calling Jim Ross "fatso". I found that amusing.

On a similar note to the last line, I just re-watched the last ten minutes of the last Raw before Wrestlemania 13, the cage match between Sid and Bret, in which Taker slams the door on Bret's head, allowing Sid to escape. What followed was Bret knocking Vince down, droppping a few "bullshit" and "god damn"....What I always forget about that 15 minutes was that Bret called out Austin, citing "everybody in that god damned dressing room knows Im the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be"....Sid then came to the ring yelling "I DON'T KNOW SHIT!"

Thought that warranted a mention.

What I always forget about that 15 minutes was that Bret called out Austin, citing "everybody in that god damned dressing room knows Im the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be"....Sid then came to the ring yelling "I DON'T KNOW SHIT!"

I remember that like it was yesterday, I was dying laughing when it happened.

On a similar note to the last line, I just re-watched the last ten minutes of the last Raw before Wrestlemania 13, the cage match between Sid and Bret, in which Taker slams the door on Bret's head, allowing Sid to escape. What followed was Bret knocking Vince down, droppping a few "bullshit" and "god damn"....What I always forget about that 15 minutes was that Bret called out Austin, citing "everybody in that god damned dressing room knows Im the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be"....Sid then came to the ring yelling "I DON'T KNOW SHIT!"

I always liked Sid's "I have half the brain you do" comment towards Kevin Nash on Nitro back in '99.

Sid was always a guilty pleasure of mine. I actually kind of liked his run as WWF Champion in late 1996.

I did too...although, I think subconsicously, a lot of it had to do with seeing Michaels lose the strap.

For the two or three of you interested, here are the RSPW Awards for the year:

Wrestler of the Year:

1. Samoa Joe

2. Edge

3. Kurt Angle

Tag Team of the Year:

1. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels

2. Paul London & Brian Kendrick

3. LAX

Best Heel:

1. Edge

2. King Booker

3. JBL

Best Babyface:

1. (TIE) Rob Van Dam and Rey Misterio Jr.

3. Samoa Joe

Best Worker:

1. Samoa Joe

2. Kurt Angle

3. Chris Benoit

Best High Flyer:

1. AJ Styles

2. Paul London

3. Rey Misterio Jr

Best Technical Wrestler:

1. Kurt Angle

2. Chris Benoit

3. Bryan Danielson

Best Brawler:

1. Samoa Joe

2. Finlay

3. Homicide

Most Favourite Wrestler:

1. Samoa Joe

2. Kurt Angle

3. Chris Benoit

Most Improved Wrestler:

1. Johnny Nitro

2. Carlito

3. Umaga

Most Overrated Wrestler:

1. (TIE) Randy Orton & Jeff Jarrett

3. John Cena

Best Gimmick:

1. All Hail King Booker!

2. Alex Shelley's Paparazzi Productions

3. Mr. Kennedy

Best Move:

1. Canadian Destroyer

2. Kurt Angle's heel hook

3. Joe's Muscle Buster

Match of the Year:

1. Dragon Kid/Genki Horiguchi/Ryo Saito vs. CIMA/Nauki Doi/Masato Yoshino, 3/31/06

2. DO Fixer vs. Blood Generation, 3/31/06

3. Edge vs. Mick Foley, WrestleMania

Best Feud:

1. Edge vs. John Cena

2. Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James

3. Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley

Worst Wrestler:

1. Great Khali

2. Boogeyman

3. Batista

Worst Tag Team

1. Chad & James Dick

2. Gymini

3. The Heart Throbs

Worst Heel:

1. Vickie Guerrero

2. The Great Khali

3. Jeff Jarrett

Worst Babyface:

1. John Cena

2. Eugene

3. The Boogeyman

Worst Worker:

1. The Great Khali

2. The Boogeyman

3. Kevin Nash

Least Favourite Wrestler:

1. Jeff Jarrett

2. Triple H

3. Mr. McMahon

Most Deteriorated Wrestler:

1. Raven

2. Hulk Hogan

3. Batista

Most Underrated Wrestler:

1. Shelton Benjamin

2. Jamie Noble

3. Matt Hardy

Worst Wrestling Gimmick:

1. Fake Kane

2. May 19th

3. Vito in a dress

Worst Move:

1. Khali's chop finish

2. Visagra

3. Samoan Spike

Worst Match:

1. Kane vs. Fake Kane (Vengeance)

2. Boogeyman vs. Booker T & Sharmell (Wrestlemania)

3. Mr. & Shane McMahon vs. Shawn Michaels & God (Backlash)

Worst Feud:

1. Vince & Shane vs. DX

2. Rey Misterio vs. Chavo Guerrero

3. DX vs. Spirit Squad

Most Disappointing News Item:

1. Death of Eddy Guerrero

2. Matt Cappotelli retiring due to cancer

3. Kurt Angle not retiring, going to TNA

Most Obnoxious Wrestling Personality:

1. Don West

2. Vince McMahon

3. The Miz

Best "Second":

1. Armando Alejandro Estrada

2. Melina

3. James Mitchell

Best Announcer:

1. Joey Styles

2. Jim Ross

3. Mike Tenay

Best Colour Commentator:

1. JBL

2. Tazz

3. Jerry Lawler

Best Interviewee:

1. Mick Foley

2. Christian Cage

3. John Cena

Best Angle:

1. Joey Styles quits during live RAW

2. Mickie James wants to fuck Trish Stratus

3. Paparazzi Productions joins forces with Kevin Nash

Best Organization:

1. WWE

2. TNA

3. ROH

Best Weekly TV:

1. Smackdown

2. Impact

3. ECW

Best Major Show (PPV/Supercard):

1. WrestleMania 22

2. ECW One Night Stand 2

3. ROH Better Than Our Best

Best Promotional Move:

1. TNA signs Kurt Angle

2. WWE institues WELLNESS~!

3. WWE books fresh stars in title picture (Booker T, Rey, Edge, RVD)

Worst Second:

1. Vickie Guerrero

2. Michelle McCool

3. Armando Alejandro Estrada

Worst Announcer:

1. Todd Grisham

2. Michael Cole

3. Mike Tenay

Worst Colour Commentator:

1. Don West

2. Jerry Lawler

3. Jonathan Coachman

Worst Interviewee:

1. The Great Khali

2. Chris Masters

3. Lashley

Worst Angle:

1. Vickie turns on Rey Misterio

2. Randy Orton blows up Eddy's lowrider while the Undertaker is inside

3. Vince founds McMahonism, starts feud with God

Worst Organization:

1. WWE

2. TNA

3. CZW

Worst TV Show:

1. WWE RAW

2. TNA Impact!

3. WWE Smackdown

Worst Major Show:

1. WWE Great American Bash

2. WWE SummerSlam

3. WWE New Years Revolution

Worst Promotional Move:

1. WWE uses Eddy's death for constant angles

2. WWE doesn't let Heyman have total control of ECW

3. TNA brings back Vince Russo

Voter Suggested Awards:

Best Canadian:

1. Edge

2. Christian Cage

3. Eric Young

Most Underrated Overrated Wrestler In The World: 1. Bryan Danielson

Best Women's wrestler not wrestling: Gail Kim

The Chris Benoit Personality Deficient Babyface award: AJ Styles

The "and I here I thought Giant Gonzales was the worst worker in history"

award: Great Khali

How embarrassing is it that when I was a wee mark that I thought Jeff Jarrett's "Ain't I Great?" was a real album and I looked for it in several music stores wanting to buy it?

I remember WWF did a review of the album (I think it was Vince Russo oddly enough) where they mentioned some of the "tracks"