TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest Oedipus Rex
As far as Wrigley Field, I do think it's a bit silly to complain over a couple outfield billboards. You'd think the Cubs/Tribune could have found a sponsor with more of a historic connection to the area, though. Maybe there'd be less of an uproar, if say, Old Style was sponsoring the billboards or something.

It's not silly at all. Wrigley Field is great because it's not like anywhere else. When you start adding these modern accoutrements, it just becomes an old stinky park with too many asshole fans.

I love people bitching about ballparks being cluttered with ads nowadays. Take a look at some pictures of places like Fenway and Yankee Stadium from the '40s and '50s sometime. The Green Monster was basically a giant billboard back then.

Guest Queen Leelee
As far as Wrigley Field, I do think it's a bit silly to complain over a couple outfield billboards. You'd think the Cubs/Tribune could have found a sponsor with more of a historic connection to the area, though. Maybe there'd be less of an uproar, if say, Old Style was sponsoring the billboards or something.

It's not silly at all. Wrigley Field is great because it's not like anywhere else. When you start adding these modern accoutrements, it just becomes an old stinky park with too many asshole fans.

But, it would cease being an ugly old stinky park with nothing but asshole fans.

Jose Acevedo, whom the O's signed as a non-roster invitee is out for the season, and somewhat mangled after a motorcycle accident. Freak thing is, he didn't show up on the first day of camp, so if he wasn't late, he might not have crashed.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jose Acevedo broke four ribs and his collarbone Friday in a motorcycle accident and is expected to miss the entire season, his Dominican winter league team said.

Jose Acevedo

Acevedo

Acevedo was conscious and in intensive care Friday, Aguilas Cibaenas executive Luichy Sanchez told The Associated Press.

"Is this a surprise? Absolutely," Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan said in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "We're obviously saddened to hear the news. This sounds like a serious accident."

A non-roster invite to Orioles spring training, Acevedo crashed his motorcycle into a car early Friday in Santiago. Aguilas Cibaenas officials did not know if the car was moving at the time of the accident.

Acevedo, who did not pitch for a major league team in 2006, is 18-25 with a 5.74 ERA in five seasons with Cincinnati and Colorado. He threw eight innings and was named an All-Star in the recent Caribbean Series in Puerto Rico, which the Aguilas won for the Dominican Republic.

Acevedo was supposed to report to Orioles camp Wednesday, but he never arrived.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Guest Oedipus Rex

But, it would cease being an ugly old stinky park with nothing but asshole fans.

BUT, comma, no. You're missing my point. Advertisements and LED boards make Wrigley no longer one-of-a-kind. By trying to make it more like other parks, it's just the worst of the rest, instead of in a class of its own.

Some lineup and rotation news credit to Rotoworld...

- Jays manager John Gibbons said he's considered batting Vernon Wells second and Lyle Overbay third, but he's leaning toward keeping Wells in the third spot, making Alex Rios the favorite to bat second.

- Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said Friday that Adam Wainwright is likely to have a spot in this year's rotation. "He’s in the rotation until somebody is better than he is because we think (Jason Isringhausen) is going to be OK," La Russa said.

- A's manager Bob Geren said Friday that he plans to make Mike Piazza his cleanup hitter this year.

- New MLB Rule in Effect New rule by the MLB regarding a 10 game suspension for anybody caught defacing or applying a foreign substance to the ball.

- Pirates prospect C Neil Walker will be moving to 3B fulltime defensively.

BUT, comma, no. You're missing my point. Advertisements and LED boards make Wrigley no longer one-of-a-kind. By trying to make it more like other parks, it's just the worst of the rest, instead of in a class of its own.

Eventually the Cubs will be sold to new owners, who will decide that they want more revenue, and a new ballpark will be built, for better or worse.

that's what they said about the Red Sox, and yet the new owners just keep renovating different parts each off-season. Its not a given that Wrigley will be torn down and replaced, especially if the new owners realise the emotional attatchment that the fans have to that ballpark.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Eventually the Cubs will be sold to new owners, who will decide that they want more revenue, and a new ballpark will be built, for better or worse.

Do you know how much money the Cubs make for the Tribune? It might be more profitable than the paper itself. Should the impossible happen, any buyer will realize the value of Wrigley Field. They move, they won't draw 2 million. Man, people are dumb.

So...anybody going to Spring Training? I just bought tickets to the 'Stros/Marlins on March 15th and 'Stros/Yankees on March 16th. Now I just have to get airplane tickets, hotel room, and car rental and I'll be good.

I'm pretty sure that they're not free.

So, what's the more ridiculous way to get injured? Kerry Wood slipping in his jacuzzi and bruising himself or Ken Griffey Jr. getting beaten up by his kids on the family yacht and breaking his hand? Baseball players have too much damn money, yo.

I'm pretty sure that they're not free.

So, what's the more ridiculous way to get injured? Kerry Wood slipping in his jacuzzi and bruising himself or Ken Griffey Jr. getting beaten up by his kids on the family yacht and breaking his hand? Baseball players have too much damn money, yo.

Here are 10 contenders: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top10/bas...l_injuries.html

So...anybody going to Spring Training? I just bought tickets to the 'Stros/Marlins on March 15th and 'Stros/Yankees on March 16th. Now I just have to get airplane tickets, hotel room, and car rental and I'll be good.

Why would you get the game tickets before everything else?

I got the game tickets first because it was a package deal, and the Yankees tickets are going to sell out again really soon. I've got my travel accomodations lined up. Me and my Dad are going. 2 roundtrip tickets from Houston to Orlando, 3 nites at the beautiful Kissimee HoJo, and a rented Chevy Geo Metro all for the low low price of $820.

And I wrote an essay in my Abnormal Psychology class a couple semesters ago about Glenallen Hill and his nite terrors. That was just weird. And I don't think John Smoltz's ironing injury is too funny. I've actually done that before.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Andy Masur is moving from the Cubs' radio booth to the Padres' for 2007, I guess. I'm assuming he got the lead PBP job, since he was just doing pregame, scoreboard, and fill-in for us. He was pretty good at all those, but I don't think he really has the voice or enthusiasm to call a game for nine innings. He's kind of mild. Nevertheless, I guess you Friars fans can fill me in on how he does out there.

I have tickets to Boston College v. Red Sox on March 2, which hopefully means that Daisuke will be there. I haven't seen him at all yet.

And since we live within driving distance of both the Twins and Red Sox training facilities, I'm sure we'll go to our share of games. I also have the girlfriend on high-alert for any big name player that might come into the mall since she failed me last year when Francisco Liriano came into her store and she didn't get me an autograph.

Yahoo has an article up on the new rule changes for the MLB.

Click here

Changes of note

- Under the change, when a game is tied in the bottom of the fifth inning or later and is called because of weather, it will be suspended and resumed before the next scheduled game between the teams at the same ballpark. If no more games remain between the teams at the same ballpark, it will be resumed when the teams meet at the visitor's ballpark.

- Under another change, a player may no longer step into a dugout to catch a foul ball. He still will be allowed to reach into a dugout.

- Another change allows pitchers to wear a multicolored glove if the umpire determines it isn't distracting. And a pitcher in the stretch position instead of a windup with no runners on base no longer will have to come to a complete stop.

- With no runners on, a pitcher will be required to pitch within 12 seconds, the timing starting when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the batter's box, alert to the pitcher.

Do you know how much money the Cubs make for the Tribune? It might be more profitable than the paper itself. Should the impossible happen, any buyer will realize the value of Wrigley Field. They move, they won't draw 2 million. Man, people are dumb.

Oh, I didn't know you were privy to the Tribune company's books. Excuse me. I guess all those rumors about the Tribune looking to sell some assets, coinciding with this off-season's spending spree were uninformed BS.

Guest Smues

Oh, I didn't know you were privy to the Tribune company's books. Excuse me. I guess all those rumors about the Tribune looking to sell some assets, coinciding with this off-season's spending spree were uninformed BS.

Ahh the joys of being a publicly traded company

I haven't looked at any of that stuff yet, just figured someone else might care enough to go look though all their junk.

I found this rather quickly under quarter 3...

Radio/entertainment revenues reflect reduced syndication revenues at Tribune Entertainment and lower revenues at WGN Radio, partially offset by higher revenues for the Chicago Cubs.