TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

We are Marshall

Damn straight. It's about the school I went to and the town I live in. We experienced a little bit of Hollywood here this year with all the stars in town. And actually, the premiere is in town tomorrow, with McConoughey and the others are in town for it. There have been countless private showings of it already in many area, but the "premiere" is tomorrow.

If you have never heard the story, this is not just a football movie. There have been whispers of some awards coming to this movie. I know that there were very minor changes to the story, and everyone involved has given it praise. I can't wait.

The story is definitely one of the saddest in any level of sports. I just hope the movie is as good as it looks.

I think they went out of their way to make sure they got it mostly right, since it's such a sensitive story

Sadly this isn't the case for a great majority of these types of historical or "based on a true story" movies. This looks pretty good, it might get hurt because of the deluge of football movies over the past few months but I think the reviews I've heard for this movie and the nature of the story should help it tremendously.

It looks interesting, but it also kind of looks like another "Remember the Titans" type thing (good movie, I just don't have a strong desire to see that type of film again).

Sheesh, Hollywood sure knows how to squeeze the tit for all its milk. We get a football movie every quarter now or what?

I can see what you are saying, but this is not a capitalization on a football story because of the football movies that came before it. It is more about rising from disaster and how it affected a community.

Marshall University, named after Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall. Some of the people to go to Marshall are Billy Crystal (played second base on the baseball team), Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Jason Williams (transferred to Florida to follow basketball coach Billy Donovan), Byron Leftwich, and Troy Brown. There have been many more athletes to make it to the pros, but those were the big stars. Well, Crystal is known for his comedy, not athletics.

Marshall is on a decline right now as far as football goes, but they were the most winningest team in college football in the 90s. They won a couple of I-AA National Championships before moving back up to I-A in 1997. Even with the rebuilding years since Leftwich left, we have beaten a 6th rated team in their stadium (Kansas State 2003), had Ohio State beat at OSU in 2004, and have played close with several big time programs. I feel the Thundering Herd will get back to consistent winning seasons in the next couple of years due to the recruiting going on here right now, and this movie should help out in that area.

The movie is about the team's plane crash killing the entire team, coaches, boosters and fans on the way home from East Carolina, and the decision to continue to field a football program the next year.

How about a movie about Evansville's basketball team getting killed in a plane wreck as well? Of course E'Ville hasn't ever had Chad Pennington and Randy Moss, so I dunno how marketable the Purple Aces really are.

I honestly hate Marshall and glad that they decided to leave the MAC, but its still a great story and I plan on seeing the movie. 1970 was a rough year for Kent State too, and Marshall lost a lot more lives. I can sympathize.

That is a pretty sad story, but I've always wondered what would happen if a whole team (i always imagined professional) died in a plane crash.

I honestly hate Marshall and glad that they decided to leave the MAC, but its still a great story and I plan on seeing the movie. 1970 was a rough year for Kent State too, and Marshall lost a lot more lives. I can sympathize.

For what it's worth, Marshall fans liked Kent State when we were in the MAC. We hated Miami due to the Terry Hoeppner incident, and hated Toledo because, well....they are Toledo. The rest of the teams we enjoyed playing and loved the travelling that MAC fans do for away games.

Everyone else hated in the MAC hated Marshall, at least the ones at ncaabbs.com did, mainly because the 90% Marshall posters were cocky assholes. Marshall did make the MAC step up its game, so I'll give credit. Guess you guys didn't have any reason to hate a team you beat every year when Marshall moved up from D-1, but I think KSU still has the all time series from when Marshall was in the MAC the first time.

Well, I never posted at ncaabbs.com because I thought their was a lot of idiots on there (Marshall fans very much included). Marshall was a perennial winner in the MAC, and it is easy to be hated by the other schools when you are on top. Had we stayed in the MAC, we would probably have had losing seasons like we have done the past two years in C-USA, and would have eaten some crow. Then it might not be so easy to hate us. A LOT of our fans enjoy talking with visiting teams' fans and showing hospitality. We were afforded that same luxury at most schools in the MAC, and I miss that. C-USA has been hit or miss so far, but for the majority, we have ran into good fans.

Now, to keep this topic on track...

I went to a private screening of this movie last night. I, of course, am biased as it is about my town and my team. However, I thought there were some great performances. The audience definitely felt the emotion, as many of them had direct ties to those that passed away, and all of us had an emotional tie to some degree. Still, I think someone without a tie to the campus will still feel what the actors and actresses are conveying. There is a good balance of lightheartedness throughout the movie so it is not just dark the entire time. I think Ian McShane (Swearengen from Deadwood) was great in this movie, David Strathairn did a great job, and Anthony Mackie played an awesome role. McConaughey and Fox were terrific as well. Like I said, I am biased, but the movie was very well done in my opinion.

It is unfortunate that this will get written of by some that it is "just another football movie" because this did happen 35 years ago so its not like a director was going for quick cash.

I really dislike Marshall, but I'll keep my opinions of that to the Sports forum.