TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Macaroni

The Next Big Wrestling Move?

Guest Macaroni

So after watching "Wrestling's Greatest Piledrivers" on YouTube and seeing that almost a third of the examples were variants of the Canadian Destroyer, I began to wonder what the next "big" move in wrestling would be. Before the Destroyer I would say the 630 splash or Jack Evans' standing 360 corkscrew moonsault were the big jaw-droppers, the 630 being important as one of my 2 ideas uses it as a starting point.

Big move #1 (the bad idea): Canadian DDT-stroyer. I really, really hope no one tries this. The move takes the sunset - flip idea of the current Destroyer, except instead of executing a piledriver the wrestler giving the move has his opponent in a front headlock, then jumps forward (opponent simultaneously jumps backward) so that the end result is the wrestler taking the move lands vertically on their head, DDT - style.

I'm afraid of people trying this move because (and I could be wrong) it would be more difficult to protect the recipient's head in the DDT case, whereas in the normal Canadian Destroyer you're pretty sure that the legs of the wrestler giving the move will hit the mat before your head will. I think the DDT would be an awesome visual, but far too dangerous to actually try.

Big move #2 (the good idea): 720 Legdrop. This is more of a "how long until someone does it" thing for me, as I think Jack Evans has it in him now to pull it off (I've seen him over-rotate a 630 before, so it's definitely possible). The 720 is pretty obvious to imagine, as the 630 splash ends as a senton, with you landing back - first on your opponent. The 720 is thus an extra 90 degree rotation, so you land "sitting - down" as if you were giving a normal standing legdrop. Cool visual, not too dangerous.

Other than those two, there's the 450 moonsault from the top rope into the ring (Groncho Wrestling has a vid of it, I forget what page), which I'm surprised hasn't been tried more often. Ah well.

Big move #1 (the bad idea): Canadian DDT-stroyer. I really, really hope no one tries this. The move takes the sunset - flip idea of the current Destroyer, except instead of executing a piledriver the wrestler giving the move has his opponent in a front headlock, then jumps forward (opponent simultaneously jumps backward) so that the end result is the wrestler taking the move lands vertically on their head, DDT - style.

Shuji Kondo did this to Kaz Hayashi off the top rope over the summer.

My favorite moves in wrestling now are the simple ones that look really vicious. I'm digging KENTA's Go 2 Sleep and Bryan Danielson's UFC elbows. I wish more people would come up with moves like this or at least head droppy moves instead of adding more flips to existing moves.

Guest Macaroni

My favorite moves in wrestling now are the simple ones that look really vicious. I'm digging KENTA's Go 2 Sleep and Bryan Danielson's UFC elbows. I wish more people would come up with moves like this or at least head droppy moves instead of adding more flips to existing moves.

I also dig the Go 2 Sleep, and the John Woo (found it on http://www.puroresucentral.com/). Now if I could only remember who does the John Woo :(

Edit: Almost forgot Kondo's King Kong Lariat. I'm continually amazed at the sick clotheslines Japanese wrestlers pull off.

No offense to the guy who started this topic, but the Canadian Destroyer is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a wrestling ring. Everyone has their own tastes and preference, but I like my wrestling to look realistic, not like gymnastics.

Yeah, hurts more if you sitdown.

The piledriver video made me cringe on several occasions, and not in a 'Holy Shit' manner. I'm seen accidents happen way too often in my reffing career and on TV, which is why I'm kinda glad the E is phasing out head dropping moves.

Go 2 Sleep is only good if there isn't a bunch of False Finishes early in the match that are sick. If so, it ends up looking weak and anti-climatic.

The 720 Leg drop is way more unsafe than a DDT-stroyer mainly due to the fact that it would be nearly impossible to land that leg drop safely due the momentum of it. Most sane workers wont take a Harlem Hangover, so a 720 would be a no-no. At least with the DDT-Storyer, u know both guys in the move will be able to do the flip. Yah its hella risky, but u have more control

I remember back in 1993 when people used loads or irish whips in every match. Today lots of people do chops and that seems more common. Maybe a new move like this will come along soon? I have no idea as to what that might be. Its not as easy to predict since it wont be something flashy just something to carry the story in the ring.

wrestling shouldn't be about flips...i'd prefer a finisher like a powerbomb or a submission move like the sharpshooter like we've seen before. Flip finishers are annoying because they're so unrealistic.

wrestling shouldn't be about flips...i'd prefer a finisher like a powerbomb or a submission move like the sharpshooter like we've seen before. Flip finishers are annoying because they're so unrealistic.

Running the ropes is unrealistic [/asshole smark mode]

wrestling shouldn't be about flips...i'd prefer a finisher like a submission move like the sharpshooter like we've seen before.
The MMA Kimura :) CM Punk uses it and he is suppose to be the next big thing.

Everyone has their own tastes and preference, but I like my wrestling to look realistic, not like gymnastics

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own where Mistico is a major draw. You know its a real shame that Mr. McMahon said that pro-wrestling is fake....now every wrestler wants to be a bad actor instead of a fighter.

It should only be done in the rarest of occasions, but I think a shooting star legdrop would rule it all if it were broken out at a big show.

Next big move, though? I thought this up a couple years ago, and thought it would be credible as a submission right away. First, you have your opponent laying face up with his face at your feet and his feet farthest away from you (scoop slam or body slam could put them in this position). Next, reach down and grab both of their legs, holding them straight up in the air so the opponent is bent at a right angle. Then, take your right leg and step between the opponent's legs, and slide it behind their left leg. Take their right leg and bend it at the knee, and have the anklebe on top of their left kneecap (just like a figure four). Next, take your left arm and snake it around the insideof the opponent's left leg to the point where you have their left heel behind your left armpit and shoulder. Keep your left arm going under the right ankle, and take your right arm under their right bent leg and clasp your hands together. From there, you spin and fall to your back and you them in an inverted figure four where they are on their stomach. You have their leg grapevined like Angle's Special Anklelock, and the opponent would have a lot more trouble taking the pressure off their knees like a regular figure four. It wouldn't be quick to put on like real MMA submissions, but it is no worse than a sharpshooter or regular figure four.

Really? I don't watch puro, but that's cool that that move gets done. Does it look good? Is it credible? Used as a finisher?

I don't think it's ever been done...but that's about as close a proximity to naming it by using it's two parent moves (the arm vining of the Cloverleaf and the inverted figure four Nagata Lock). I would assume there is SOMEONE out there that does it, but you never know.

I'm personally hoping the Chicanery Suplex takes off in popularity.

More submissions are needed. I think with the UFC influence that will continue. You don't need 20 year olds with no insurance, getting paid maybe $50 out there taking and giving neck finishers.

More submissions are needed. I think with the UFC influence that will continue. You don't need 20 year olds with no insurance, getting paid maybe $50 out there taking and giving neck finishers.

Well its either that or TLC hardcore death matches.

A powerbomb from the top rope to the arena floor.

B.G. Whitmer did this to Jimmy Jacobs, not only onto the arena floor, but over the guardrail and into the crowd. It trully was awesome.

Do you have video of it?

Nevermind.

I found it

from 4:30 in.

No, the Cop Killa is like the Vertebreaker.

The 4:30ish move you're talking about (I think) is like an Air Raid Crash. A more head-droppy version of Finlay's Celtic Cross.

It should only be done in the rarest of occasions, but I think a shooting star legdrop would rule it all if it were broken out at a big show.

That was the move I had in mind

Someone's probably already done this, but how about a reverse figure-four, where the opponent is on his stomach instead of his back?

Double team idea: One guy has the opponent on his shoulders, the other does a moonsault off the top turnbuckle and gives the opponent a neckbreaker(reverse DDT?) as his partner falls back. Since the moonsault guy would have to have some serious ups, it might be easier to do it off a ladder or cage.

Also, it might never be allowed to happen, but how about an aireal move off of the Hell In A Cell onto someone layed out on the Spanish announce table?