TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cabbageboy

NFL Week 16

Note

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh has been named the SNF game, if Miami wins tonight. Which I assume means a NYJ victory leads to KC/Jax?

I heard on the radio postgame show that they actually decided on Green Bay/Chicago.

Note

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh has been named the SNF game, if Miami wins tonight. Which I assume means a NYJ victory leads to KC/Jax?

I heard on the radio postgame show that they actually decided on Green Bay/Chicago.

Chicago -3 is cash money there. Even if the Bears' offense fails to score, Favre should be good for 14 points in pick sixes.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

It's gotta be the Packers and the Bears on New Year's Eve. Screw all this

if the Broncos win and the Jaguars lose, but the Broncos win and the Bengals win, and if the Jets lose but the Bengals lose, and if Mike Shanahan does a handstand,

and so on. It's the Packers and the Bears on New Year's Eve. That's a bigger deal than all this mid-market AFC wild card crap, even without Favre's possibly final game and the last gasp for the 6 seed. Besides, the league owes the nationwide Packer fanbase a favor after blacking out most of Wisconsin, not to mention most of the country, for Favre's possibly penultimate game.

iggy's a Jets fan now?

As they always say: Whatever wins you the parlay

Been a Jets fan since Parcells first took over there. Nothing new on that count.

Oh, and that $780 was most definitely not a parlay. Just cash money on the Jets baby.

Guest Vitamin X

Yup, Green Bay-Chicago is definitely the late game next week.

That kind of sucks in a way, considering New Year's is the only night of the year I'd like NOT to have to go somewhere and watch football.

But Czech's right. The only thing non-Packer fans are going to hate this week is the insane hype they're going to give Favre (screw the rest of the Packers, particularly Jennings and Driver and the defense who have been instrumental in helping the team possibly get to .500, right?) for it being his last possible game. I remember it being bad last year with the Seattle game, which was utterly meaningless. But hey for the second straight year, we get to play the #1 seed in the NFC in Week 17.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, from the article I saw that the Packers were playing the Bears on New Year's Eve:

If the New York Giants defeat the Washington Redskins on Saturday night, the only hope for the Packers to make the postseason would be with a win and a tiebreaker edge over New York in strength of victory.

So if the Giants win, we not only have to beat the Bears but run up the score on them too???

Oh, this is not going to be pretty.

Yeah the packers SOV is horribile unless they beat the bears which might help a little considering they have 13 wins.

The packers havent defeated a team over .500 this year lol

From packers.com

"It is still possible for the Packers to qualify for the playoffs if the Giants beat the Redskins, but it would be mathematically unlikely for Green Bay to win the "strength of victory" tiebreaker over New York in that scenario. "

I've calculated both team's SOV records as of week 16:

Green Bay 33-72

New York 46-59

If both teams were to win their upcoming games, then their records would look like this:

Green Bay: 46-75 (Gaining 13 wins for CHI's 13 wins and 3 losses for their 3 losses)

New York : 51-71 (Gaining 5 wins for WAS's 5 wins and 11 losses for their 11 losses, plus an additional loss due to the Giants having beat WAS previously)

In this situation, Green Bay would need a lot of help. Here's what to root for:

Detroit over Dallas (Packers get 2 wins, Giants suffer loss)

Minnesota over St Louis (Packers gain 2 wins)

Seattle over Tampa Bay (Giants get loss)

New Orleans over Carolina (Giants get loss)

Cleveland over Houston (Giants loss)

Miami over Indy (Packer win)

Arizona over San Diego (Packer win)

SF over Denver (Packer win)

If all these games went the Pack's way, then the records would be:

Green Bay 53-75

New York 52-76 (Giants would gain a win and a loss from ATL-PHI)

As you can see, Green Bay is essentially fucked if the Giants win on Saturday, which I guess you knew anyway.

Of course, I did this all in my head around 5 in the morning, so I can't guarantee 100% accuracy.

Guest Princess Leena
It's gotta be the Packers and the Bears on New Year's Eve. Screw all this

if the Broncos win and the Jaguars lose, but the Broncos win and the Bengals win, and if the Jets lose but the Bengals lose, and if Mike Shanahan does a handstand,

and so on. It's the Packers and the Bears on New Year's Eve. That's a bigger deal than all this mid-market AFC wild card crap, even without Favre's possibly final game and the last gasp for the 6 seed. Besides, the league owes the nationwide Packer fanbase a favor after blacking out most of Wisconsin, not to mention most of the country, for Favre's possibly penultimate game.

It's like those Yanks/Sox fans that don't realize 90% of the country doesn't give a damn.

Wonder if Kitna can groom Smith or Quinn as well?

Hopefully, but Marinelli already named Kitna as the starter in 07 despite 30 turnovers and a 2-13 record. Any discussion about the worst coach in the NFL should start and end with Rod Marinelli

Hopefully, but Marinelli already named Kitna as the starter in 07 despite 30 turnovers and a 2-13 record. Any discussion about the worst coach in the NFL should start and end with Rod Marinelli

Kitna was a serviceable QB in the past. He isn't the problem and if he was able to mentor Carson Palmer, whom had more upside going into the NFL then Quinn or Smith will, while trying to lead his team to a playoff berth (and coming close) during a pro bowl career season, I think he is a fine enough placement as a starter when the important thing is getting the rest of the pieces in place for 2008 when the new QB can take over.

Personally, I know they will feel compelled to but they should trade that #1 or #2 spot for extra picks because good QB's will likely be around by the second round anyways.

Guest Princess Leena

If the plan is to keep Kitna in there all of next year, then that's a terrible plan.

If the plan is to keep Kitna in there all of next year, then that's a terrible plan.

I'm not saying Kitna is THE MAN but try to get the rest of the pieces in place before you throw some rookie to the wolves so quickly. I think Detroit has a bigger concern regarding the man running the show, then the past his prime glorified backup starting QB they have. Kitna is a good mentor and that's good for which ever QB they draft, should it be Quinn/Smith or a later draft pick.

Having Kitna established as the starter is just a typical ploy to create the illusion of control, anyways.

Kitna was a serviceable QB in the past. He isn't the problem and if he was able to mentor Carson Palmer, whom had more upside going into the NFL then Quinn or Smith will, while trying to lead his team to a playoff berth (and coming close) during a pro bowl career season, I think he is a fine enough placement as a starter when the important thing is getting the rest of the pieces in place for 2008 when the new QB can take over.

Personally, I know they will feel compelled to but they should trade that #1 or #2 spot for extra picks because good QB's will likely be around by the second round anyways.

I wouldnt call Kitna THE problem but he is definitely A problem...when he led the Bengals to an 8-8 record...that will be going on 4 years ago. Kitna is a serviceable backup QB that can give you a spot start kind of like Charlie Batch or Joey Harrington. When we draft Quinn I want him to at the least be on equal footing to compete for the starting QB job immediately. Vince Young and Jay Cutler leading teams to victories are disproving the myth that rookie quarterback=losing. Lions need help everywhere but trading the number 1 pick would be absolutely foolish unless they get an offer the caliber the Chargers got in 2001 and 2004. We passed on a franchise QB last year for a 220 pound LB. Cant afford to neglect the most important position again