TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

What's with WWE and undefeated streaks?

It seems like the last few years, every newcomer has a undefeated streak.

- Brock Lesnar had an undefeated streak

- Gail Kim had an undefeated streak (although this one lasted very shortly)

- Eugene had an undefeated streak

- Chris Masters had an undefeated streak

- Hassan had an undefeated streak

- Umaga currently has an undefeated streak

Am I missing anyone?

I realize it's good to put someone in that position but let's face it, they've over done it the past few years.

Am I missing anyone?

I realize it's good to put someone in that position but let's face it, they've over done it the past few years.

coughMRPERFECTcough (although yeah, he wasn't in the last few years)..

They even gave Goldberg a mini undefeated run too but it wasn't anything like his WCW "streak".

Tatanka was undefeated for like almost 2 years, I believe. You also forgot another recent unbeaten streak with Punk.

It's not exactly a WWE thing. It's a staple that has been used in the business for years, but exploded to it's highest peak via Goldberg.

Kennedy had an undefeated streak for a while there.

And yeah, it's been in the business for years because what's the point of bringing in talent to job them out if you don't intend them to be jobbers?

At least undefeated streaks make sense, it's those "winless" streaks that usually involves a heel throwing a tantrum or a face being made out to be a loser after every lost that befuddle me.

I've only seen the losing streak angle work once despite all the efforts over the year.

Am I missing anyone?

Don't forget Lashley's. They tried acting like JBL beating him meant something when the Survivor Series the year before totally killed it.

Chris Jericho's WCW losing streak led to his heel turn and one of the best characters ever in wrestling.

CM Punk is still undefeated in singles matches, unless he lost in the last couple of weeks.

Undefeated Streaks is lazy storytelling and usually backfires. It's the quikest way to get a wrestler over, to get fans to stand up and take notice without any character development or any other reason to care. When the wrestler is over solely because of the streak, which is usually the case when such point is mentioned ad nauseum every time they are on the screen, once he/she loses they lose their identity and are basically back to square one. Another issue is that wwe likes to give westlers a quick push to "get them over" however then sort of forgets about you and tests to see if you can get and stay over on your own, which usually involves losing a lot along the way. So you have the wrestler back at square one, jobbing left and right or in afterthought programs if not Heat matches.

I dont have a problem with undefeated streaks. I do have a problem with WWE hyping it as a "undefeated streak" to fast. I think they hyped Kennedy as undefeated after about 2 or 3 matches on SD. With such short exposure of a charachter it doesnt mean much. After maybe 7 tv matches you could do a small hype and then as time passes by you can do it more and more.

Chris Jericho's WCW losing streak led to his heel turn and one of the best characters ever in wrestling.

Don't forget Dean Malenko's losing streak and Jericho making fun of him while he was gone. The pop he got at Halloween Havoc when he took off his mask was off the chart.

Boogyman has an undefeated streak.

Maybe they do it, because most of them start out innocently and unnoticed, with the hopes that one of these guys will catch on the with the fans BIG TIME, and then they make a big deal about it. Kind of like Goldberg, the streak wasn't made a big deal about at first, but they kept getting a little more into and excited as the streak continued on....

Guest samoapunk
Kurt Angle and I believe Lex Luger had WWF winning streaks.

You would be correct. Luger was hyped as Mr All America and didn't lose until his bout against then Champ Yokozuna.

I normally don't have a problem with these undefeated streaks, but in Umaga's case, I have a problem with it. Usually the undefeated streak is done with a new guy in the company, whether it be a home grown fresh rookie or someone who recently signed up with the company. With Umaga though, we have a guy who has been in the WWE, and who didn't particularly have a good run of it the first time around. Now that would be fine if, he had been somone who everyone quickly forgot about, but he was in tag team that got a semi-push for a while. I know the casual fan doesn't know that he was Jamal of Three Minute Warning, but to me it's just hard to fathom that a guy goes from that to being the pride of the company.

Guest Overworked

On Angles Winning streak that was hyped into an angle with Steve Blackman being assigned by stephanie to make sure Angle kept winning, to the point that during the Kurt Angle vs Kane match, where Angle was expected to finally lose Blackman came in with the Cane and caned Angle so he get the DQ win.

Ludwig Bolga *sp?* had one as well.

At that time, the WWE was doing a lot of undefeated streaks at the same time. Tatanka, Bolga, and Lex Luger were all at the same time.

Guest samoapunk
Ludwig Bolga *sp?* had one as well.

At that time, the WWE was doing a lot of undefeated streaks at the same time. Tatanka, Bolga, and Lex Luger were all at the same time.

I had completely forgotten about him. I think the correct spelling was Ludvig Borga. Didn't the Giant Gonzalez have one going as well up until the Undertaker beat him at WrestleMania X?

You would be correct. Luger was hyped as Mr All America and didn't lose until his bout against then Champ Yokozuna.

I normally don't have a problem with these undefeated streaks, but in Umaga's case, I have a problem with it. Usually the undefeated streak is done with a new guy in the company, whether it be a home grown fresh rookie or someone who recently signed up with the company. With Umaga though, we have a guy who has been in the WWE, and who didn't particularly have a good run of it the first time around. Now that would be fine if, he had been somone who everyone quickly forgot about, but he was in tag team that got a semi-push for a while. I know the casual fan doesn't know that he was Jamal of Three Minute Warning, but to me it's just hard to fathom that a guy goes from that to being the pride of the company.

Well according to WWE Umaga has never been in their federation ever before. He got a makeover. Just like Kane when he debuted WWE didnt say tat he acually had been with them before under another name. To be honest in both cases (Umaga and Kane) I don t really tink alot of people remember or even know they are the same wrestlers as Isaac Yankeem DDS and Jamal.

Well according to WWE Umaga has never been in their federation ever before. He got a makeover. Just like Kane when he debuted WWE didnt say tat he acually had been with them before under another name. To be honest in both cases (Umaga and Kane) I don t really tink alot of people remember or even know they are the same wrestlers as Isaac Yankeem DDS and Jamal.

In thier cases its much better off to try to not remember them. It would be much less dramatic for example when Kane debuted. "Thats gotta be, Thats gotta be Issac Yankem.... or a Kevin Nash imposter!" Yeah doesnt sound as good as what they went with.