TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

I could make an entire thread out of some of the

Guest Smues

I'll start.

"Did you hear Nintendo is recalling all of the Wiis?"

"Yeah. They're so stupid releasing a faulty console. They'll gonna go under from this."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(October)

"I really want the new Zelda."

"Is it out yet?"

"In is in the lower 48, but we don't get it until December"

"That sucks"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: "Are you taking pre-orders for the Wii yet?"

Manager: "No we aren't going to take pre-orders for it at all"

Me: "Weak. Ok"

(cut to days before the Wii launch)

Me: "So how are you guys handling the Wii launch?"

Manager: "Handle? There is nothing to handle. They've all been pre-ordered."

(dunno if that one really counts, I'm just still angry)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard the Wii recall thing last week.

I also heard that "PS3 is going out of business soon".

Once when I was working retail I got into an argument about not having "The James Bond for Genesis". Apparently she wanted GoldenEye for PSX and would not accept that it didn't exist. Another woman was furious we didn't have Mario Tennis for PSX and angrily took her business to Walmart, which supposedly carried it.

Technically, there IS a recall with the Wii so at least its not completely fabricated information trying to upsell the PS3 or whatever..

fortunately is for a cheap $.50 fabric strap replacing it with a new and improved $1 strap.

"Game Informer is the best game magazine around."

"You get great trade-in value for your games!"

"If you provide your email address we can send you money-saving coupons."

An Andrew request:

In 2005 in Meijer while buying a PS2 game this employee started going on about how he was getting a PS3 soon. When I brought up how it isn't out yet he claimed he was ordering it off the internet from Japan. I've always wondered if he was lying to impress me, very stupid or getting scammed. I kinda hope he ended up getting one of those PSX things. :lol:

One time a guy came in to a Gamestop with a big box of n64 stuff...many games were complete in box, and the store was going to give him like 25 bucks for it.

I offered 50. He gave it to me, and I ended up selling off half the games and the system itself (I had an N64 already).

I did end up keeping some of the games and still coming out ahead, with a few games I didn't have already and some strat guides too.

At Best Buy I've had to explain multiple times that there will never ever be Mario games on the Playstation or XBox because Nintendo created Mario and they have their own console. Of course....I also had a woman ask me if CNN was a broadcast channel in there once.

I remember one time an idiot employee was trying to sell me a pre-order to a game that likely wasn't even in production yet, if the game even existed at all. I decided to play along and ask when the game was coming out. He took a look for it, but couldn't find it. He even asked some other employee who flat out told him the game didn't exist. I had the hardest time not busting out laughing through the whole thing.

Yes, the dumbest things are always heard in gaming stores. I remember I worked in Toys R Us's R Zone once and a woman asked for Mario Kart: Double Dash for the XBOX360.

I was at a Gamestop about 4 hours after Wii and PS3 preorders had sold out. Some guy walked in and gave the manager his 2 cents about how it's not fair that he would have to walk into work late just to stand outside and get a preorder and how they should be able to have preorders start in the afternoon. He was fuming and mentioned how he wanted to talk to the district manager of the Gamestop about the "preordering fiasco" as he put it.

One time a cashier I was buying Guitar Hero from told me this: Once he was accused of being a racist because he wouldn't sell Gears of War for the playstation 2 to this guy.

You know they got all the copies in the back...

Best Buy employee: "We don't know when we'll be getting in any Wiis, but if you sign up for our exclusive newsletter, we'll let you know in advance. However, it should be this Friday for our next shipment, just in time for Christmas."

Translation: "We're just gonna sit on them, make you sign up for a completely useless newsletter, and also turn around and tell you when it is that we get them we'll be a day late. Oh, and we've got'em in the back but wanna make sure that people who can't get'em end up buying some other (more expensive) stuff, for when you fail at getting one."

Guest NYankees

The last videogame that I bought was The Godfather for the PS2. When I was buying the game the sales clerk was trying to sell me the 5 dollar game insurance because video games break down all of the time. I told him that I had been playing video games for 20 years and not once have I ever had a game break down on me. I hate going into that store and having to wait half an hour while they try upselling every stupid service to you.

To the 2 posters above, since I don't know how to do a double quote: people far higher than the person you talk to in a Best Buy have decided to make us hold stuff, we have no say on that. Second, I've never ever heard of a BB newsletter, and I've been there 5 years. Third we are forced to try to pitch all that stuf, much like the Gamestop/EB folks, but without the job on the line so much. And fourth, there are an amazing amount of people who still have no clue about video games, even people of the age that you think they would be playing(teen-mid 20s) but they don't, they don't care, and as such they say exactly what they're told to say when they make the pitch, which is generally made by people who have even less of a clue

Gamecrazy Manager: If you pre-order a Wii game, we'll call you to let you know when we're going to take pre-orders for the Wii. (This is Oct.)

Me: Ok

A month goes by and stores have recieved Zelda but won't sell the game until Sunday, I return to the store.

Me: So how come I didn't get a call so I could come down a pre-order a Wii.

Gamecrazy employee: Oh we basically stopped taking pre-orders in Jan.

My Thoughts: FUCK YOU!

Me: Ok I like to cancel my pre-order and take my money back.

Gamecrazy Employee: Do you want a bag with that?

(yes he asked me if I wanted a bag for my 5 bucks.)

Me: yes

I dunno what EB's like in the States, but I work in one here, and we don't try to shove the guarantees or EB Edge cards down anyone's throats; we just ask the customers if they want to buy them, and if not, that's it. The guarantees also apply if the customers damage the games themselves, so it's not typically a question of the game breaking down on its own. Also, we don't have a magazine to sell, and I've never been asked to buy one in an EB store. I don't know which ones do.

At Gamestop a while back, some nerdy fuck who spends all his free time there (I can't remember the last time I've gone in and not seen him there, and he doesn't work there) told some guy who was pre-ordering a PS3..

"I wouldn't buy that if I were you. PS3's are overheating and exploding on the developers and game testers"

I naturally, told him that was bullshit.

Then he tells me about how it's 100% and his "sources" told him this, and that it would delay the PS3.

A co-worker of mine said that Final Fantasy is only coming out for XBox360.

He also said Stairway to Heaven was originally recorded by the Beatles.

This thread allows me to happily direct you over to http://www.actsofgord.com/ which contains tons of similar tales. For anyone who works in a video game store (or generally have to deal with stupid people to make a living), this should probably make for some good reading material.

At Gamestop a while back, some nerdy fuck who spends all his free time there (I can't remember the last time I've gone in and not seen him there, and he doesn't work there) told some guy who was pre-ordering a PS3..

"I wouldn't buy that if I were you. PS3's are overheating and exploding on the developers and game testers"

Then he tells me about how it's 100% and his "sources" told him this, and that it would delay the PS3.

Did you smack him after he used the word sources?

Believe me when I tell you this, as a former Gamestop employee, we HATE having to hock the insurance, reserves and magazine subs just as much as you hate hearing about it. However, as everyone else here knows, your job is on the line there every day if you dont sell this stuff, so you'll have to forgive the employees for shoving it down your throat. I think it's a bullshit thing to do to your employees, and I honestly dont know why there are so many people that would give their right eye to work there.

Staying on topic though, I hear shit like this all day (my store is outside of a ghetto):

"Yea, let me get that Gears for the PS2"

"Can I get that new Super Mario joint for the 360?"

"Got that 7?" (VAGUE!)

Not really a question I've been asked, but I find a lot of joy in some of the hardcore World of Warcraft players. There is a fairly attractive girl that works at my store that plays constantly when she isn't working, and when she gets to talking to some of these guys about the game, its like they have a massive 'nerdgasm'. It's one of those things that you have to be there in person to truly enjoy.

This thread allows me to happily direct you over to http://www.actsofgord.com/ which contains tons of similar tales. For anyone who works in a video game store (or generally have to deal with stupid people to make a living), this should probably make for some good reading material.

Yeah Gord is hilarious. It must be nice to own your own store and not have to tolerate others' stupid shit.

Guest NYankees

If you see the nerdy fuck all the time that you go in there, what does that make you?

Haws, it's not that fact that they are upselling, it's the fact that the sales clerks dont know when to shut the fuck up. I was paying for my game and the sales clerk for 5 minutes was delaying the final transaction to get me to buy the game insurance. I told him that I clearly wasn't interested and he tried explaining to me that games breakdown all of the time. This happens all of the time at software etc/ebx and it holds up the line. The last time I went there I had to wait online for 20 plus minutes because the sales clerk was upselling everything in the store to every customer. The line had to be 3-4 people who were only buying one game each. Software etc. should learn that people dont want to be harrassed and they want to pay and leave. When a customer says no, leave them the fuck alone and drop the subject of upselling. I have been to Software Etc. 2 times in the past two years because I try to avoid the store and only go to CC or Best Buy due to the fact that they dont bullshit in there.

If you see the nerdy fuck all the time that you go in there, what does that make you?

Haws, it's not that fact that they are upselling, it's the fact that the sales clerks dont know when to shut the fuck up. I was paying for my game and the sales clerk for 5 minutes was delaying the final transaction to get me to buy the game insurance. I told him that I clearly wasn't interested and he tried explaining to me that games breakdown all of the time. This happens all of the time at software etc/ebx and it holds up the line. The last time I went there I had to wait online for 20 plus minutes because the sales clerk was upselling everything in the store to every customer. The line had to be 3-4 people who were only buying one game each. Software etc. should learn that people dont want to be harrassed and they want to pay and leave. When a customer says no, leave them the fuck alone and drop the subject of upselling. I have been to Software Etc. 2 times in the past two years because I try to avoid the store and only go to CC or Best Buy due to the fact that they dont bullshit in there.

We're actually supposed to do the same thing at CC too, we just don't.

Yeah Gord is hilarious. It must be nice to own your own store and not have to tolerate others' stupid shit.

Great stuff. Love this one:

"I'd like to buy this game."

"Very well then, that will be $45.60 with tax. Also, do you have a memory expansion for your Nintendo 64? Perfect dark requires it."

"I do."

"Are you sure? It's one of these units that plugs into here."

Gord proceeds to show the customer what he's talking about as the customer doesn't look so bright by holding a Nintendo 64 up and pointing to the memory expansion slot.

Customer leaves, returns with parent. Speech repeats with mother.

They leave content.

Next day, the customer returns.

"This game doesn't fit my machine."

Gord plugs it into his Nintendo 64.

"Seems to fit into mine. Does your machine work with other games?"

"Yes, see?"

<Dramatic Pause>

"Sir, that is a GameBoy Advance."

"Perfect Dark didn't fit!"

"Well, yes, I suppose it wouldn't. So when I held up a Nintendo 64 and pointed out things on it, you didn't say 'that doesn't look like my machine' because…?"

Not so much stupid as just funny:

WWF Attitude. Bad game, and far too many copies produced for the demand. But over the course of a week, Gord had three backorders for it. Probably because it was a third the price of Wrestlemania 2000 back when it first came out.

Anyway, Gord ordered three copies as part of his order. And in the end, got eleven. He wasn't charged for the extra eight copies, but he honestly did not want them. So he phoned the distributor up.

The distributor didn't want them back. It was going to cost more in courier costs than it was worth to get them back. They told Gord to keep them.

So Gord did. And created a sign.

WWF Attitude! Gaming has never been this good, and it will never be this good again! Forget the lies that you may have heard that this is a poor game. Those are from WCW fans! They're just angry because there never was a WCW game as good as this!

But my friends, gaming like this doesn't come without a price! What will that price be you ask? Why, it's make up your own price day! That's right! You name the price! Be warned though, one of two things will happen. Either you'll get the game at the price you offer, or you'll get slapped for such an inane offer.

But isn't the risk for the beauty known as WWF Attitude worth it? You know you have to be the coolest person on your block with this game!

This is the greatest game ever!*

*may not be exactly as good as advertised.

In the end, all copies were sold. Prices ranged from $10 to $20, as well as a trade for two Subway subs from one person.

I can see the customer's point of view here:

When you rent a PlayStation from Gord it costs $5 and includes one free game. Anyway, there was this guy who rents a PlayStation and the one game. Machine comes back fine and on time, but no game.

A couple calls to his roommates and finally buddy here shows up at the store after about a week.

"I got your message that I still have your game."

"Yes, yes you do."

"Here it is."

"Ok, thanks. You want to pay the extra day charges now or next time you rent?"

"What extra day charges?"

"For the game... A dollar a day."

"But the game was free with a rental of the machine."

"Well, yes… But the machine was returned."

"So?"

"Well, that was my point in its entirety really."

Eventually it was accepted that this was going to cost one dollar per day.