TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

I could make an entire thread out of some of the

I was in the Gamestop at the Mall of New Hampshire recently and the nerdiest nerd who I ever saw was at the counter trading in a cardboard box filled with games. The clerk was an attractive female, and I could tell this nerdy fellow was enjoying their exchange of required interactions. It was quite amusing.

So there the Gord was, trapped talking to an idiot. Ever resourceful, he came up with this...

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I subscribe to the theory of intellectual osmosis. As such, I must now cease our conversation and move away from you before my intelligence begins to drop. Good day."

Then Gord walked away. The other customers in the store had a very good laugh and had to explain to the idiot what Gord meant, and he was very pissed. I don't think he ever came back.

What an utter berk. Oooh I know what osmosis is! I must have taken biology class in high school~! He didn't come back? No kidding?

Generally there's just no excuse for rudeness on either side. No matter who you are, you're going to find a situation where you don't know a single thing about the topic, whether it be games, movies, fine art, computers, literature, etc, and you may need to ask a question. It's always nice when people are helpful, rather than trying to lord it over you.

I have done the thing where I ask if they have any copies of a game. The clerk smiles and gestures at an entire row of the game behind him. D'oh.

I have to say that going to the GameStop in my area, I never, ever get the hard sell for anything.

Maybe the manager just doesn't care, or maybe because it is in a slightly ghetto part of town (such as it is) they don't try to sling as much pointless shit?

I dunno. But I usually just go up there with my game, and leave. They don't even ask me if I want anything else...

Guest Princess Leena

It's the same with most gaming stores I go to. And I usually go to them in the morning when they're dead and there's only the manager working there. That might be because I only buy used games/consoles at EB/GS, though.

The only thing they try to push at my local Gamestop is the discount card + GI subscription.

Since I'm usually buying used games, it comes out to like $2 for a GI subscription and the card. I usually get it.

My EB has never tried to push anything on me.

I had some fun with a PS3 a couple of weeks ago. Someone returned an unopened one at the Best Buy I work at. I picked it up from customer service and just walked around carrying it everywhere I went. Within 2-3 minutes I had someone asking me for it. It was some good times.

I'm getting dozens of calls each day looking for a Wii. It has reached a point of being more than obnoxious.

Last Sunday we had an ad out telling people that we would be handing out tickets for a PS3 an hour before the store opened. We had about 30-40 PS3's. I didn't work until Thursday, and when I got there we still had 28 of the PS3's from Sunday left. I'd say the PS3 craze is officially over.

same deal at CC. The WII requests are getting annoying, but mostly cuz I have no date to tell them so they get mad. and we havent had any DS systems since like before xmas so its tough. we had ps3s in last week and this week too but theyre not selling all that fast.

I'm getting dozens of calls each day looking for a Wii. It has reached a point of being more than obnoxious.

Last Sunday we had an ad out telling people that we would be handing out tickets for a PS3 an hour before the store opened. We had about 30-40 PS3's. I didn't work until Thursday, and when I got there we still had 28 of the PS3's from Sunday left. I'd say the PS3 craze is officially over.

Yes, and absolutely yes.

I'm still getting (at the Wal*Mart I work at) anywhere from 5-15 calls a day re: the Wii. Meanwhile, we quietly got 16 PS3's in between three shipments, anywhere from the 27th of December to the third of January. Not one has sold. I even made the following page twice to the entire store, and no one said anything more than "Oh, you actually have PS3's in stock? Hmm."

"Good afternoon customers. Looking for a way to redeem the Walmart Gift Card you received for Christmas/entertain this New Year's Eve? Come check out the the all-new PS3, now in stock in your Electronics Coalition of Wal*mart. Featuring your choice of 20 or 60 gig hard drives, plenty of space for all your favourite games, photos and music. It also has not one, not two, not three but four USB ports to connect your wireless controllers to, as well as your MP3 player or digital camera. And the revolutionary Blu-Ray player is included, meaning you can watch your favourite movies in stunning clarity. Add it all up, and you've got an unparalleled gaming experience. So you gotta walk that aisle and check out the hottest new item in Wal*Mart today."

If anyone's seen Ric Flair Can Dance All Night Long on Youtube, I essentially ripped that off for the above page, thus the three or four lies (well, stretched truth) in my page.

Tuesday night at Best Buy we recieved an additional shipment of 30 Playstation 3's. We had 19 remaining of my previously mentioned supply, so we had 49 unwanted 60 gig units.

Meanwhile, still no Wii's.

Tuesday night at Best Buy we recieved an additional shipment of 30 Playstation 3's. We had 19 remaining of my previously mentioned supply, so we had 49 unwanted 60 gig units.

Meanwhile, still no Wii's.

It makes sense, I guess....Not even counting the overwhelming price difference, the press buzz over the lack of PS3's available seemed to sour a lot of people. Meanwhile, with the Wii being launched two days later under the radar, it's a fair question to ask as a consumer.....

This is one I hay have brought up in this thread already, but I'm not up to loking through the previous posts. Back in 2002, I was in an EB Games, and simply picking up a magazine. The assistant manager was trying for the life of him to get me to preorder Eternal Darkness. He went on this long-winded 3+ minute speech about the features of the game, but I simply had no interest. After I left, I got to thinking that his rant seemed oddly familiar. So, I got to looking around when I got home, and noticed that he had memorized and recited, word-for word, Gamepro's entire preview article on the game. Sad.

Guest Smues
Yep, I work at Rhino and I can 100% confirm this. This is truly sad news, and a gigantic load of bullshit. Say goodbye to going into a fairly hassle-free environment to buy NES, PSX, SNES, etc. games. Say HELLo to being foced into only buying current-gen stuff while being hassled to reserve "That Live" or get that gay-ass gameplay guarantee scam. I've done 2 seperate tours of duty at Gamestop, and I am in no way prepared to put up with their bullshit for a third time. Myself as well as 4 other employees have come to the decision to put in our notices effective on the take-over date.

FUCK GAMESTOP!

What % of the total workforce would that end up being quitting at once?

That would leave 1 other person (who may end up jumping on the bandwagon) and the District Manager (who serves as the manager of our particular store) to run the place. That would be the Assistant Manager (myself), Shift Leader, and 2 (possibly 3) part-timers putting in our notices at the same time. I left Gamestop the first time due to the horrible hours, and I left the second time (I went back due to being hired back as 3rd key) because I was offered the ASM job at Rhino, which pays much better along with providing some overtime every now and then. The no-hassle sales method is also very nice.

So did you all quit?

I returned Red Steel to GameStop on Sunday evening. Read all about the horrid nature of said game in the Wii thread.

The guy there was actually really helpful.

And then he advised me to come back on Tuesday and pick up Wii Play, which comes with an extra remote. I got my giftcard and was all excited to get my newest remote and game.

Only to go today and be told "SRY, IT'S D-LAYED!"

What a fucking idiot. Yeah, maybe I should've researched it on the internet, but I'm not a big "gamer" and these clown shold've known the fucking game was delayed.

Yea Im getting far more wii requests and DS Lite requests than PS3s (we did actualkly get in wiis last week and I think they sold them o nsunday but I havent been to work since sat nite (our schedules have been hacked to bits cuz of the new year I guess ) but im going in in about an hour now

Ok so I went into my EB last friday to place a last minute pre-order for Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. Apparently EB and Capcom were giving out a preorder bonus. So when I placed my 5 bucks down I asked the clerk if I would recieve the preorder bonus and his reply "I don't know, we've had tons of preorders for it and it's first come first serve." So ok, I'll roll the dice and see if I get the bonus. I picked the game up yesterday and the same clerk goes "Ok here's your stylus and it looks like you were the only preorder I had." :bonk:

Yeah but they have to say stuff like that.

No promises, never any promises, unless you actually CAN promise something directly.

Everyone knows that. This is why you never wait as long as they tell you when waiting for a pizza or getting seated at a restaurant. Set easy goals, or no promises, that's the service industry in a nutshell :)

No promises, never any promises, unless you actually CAN promise something directly.

Everyone knows that. This is why you never wait as long as they tell you when waiting for a pizza or getting seated at a restaurant. Set easy goals, or no promises, that's the service industry in a nutshell :)

I would have been fine with an answer like "Supplies are limited and are first come fist serve." but when he's says "We've had a ton of preorders" while I'm the only preorder. That just miffs me. :)

Guest rockaustin

The guys at my EB have been there since the place opened about 4 years ago and I think I have only seen one other person get hired.

I'm glad they don't seem to want to quit because they seem smart and don't hassle me to buy anything except for the occasional EB card or warranty.

I went in on Monday to buy NFSMW and Shenmue II. I only found Shenmue II without the original artwork. The guy said they had the one with the original artwork and he went to look for it. He was taking a while which made me feel bad cuz he was wasting his time for artwork which I didn't care for, but he insisted that I should have the original artwork. Nice dude.

Guest Princess Leena

Exactly.

And when they do promise something and a customer doesn't get it... which is the worst at a game store.

I swear, I must go to the best store when you guys talk about this stuff. There's a Game Crazy connected to a Hollywood Video in Jackson. When I walk in, they don't ask if you want to preorder or anything like that. They ask if you need help finding anything, or to look up any games you were wanting to put on a waiting list or preorder or anything like that. Hell, when I got a used MGS3: Snake Eater for 9 bucks, he checked and saw it was scratched a bit and cleaned and buffed it for free. Looked on the comp and told me my MVP card expired and if I wanted to renew it (I did). Nothing about preorders or GET THE NEW SYSTEM TODAY stuff. Love that place.

The EB in the mall on the other hand...... oy...

Oh yeah, Game Crazy also had 3 PS3's waiting around in the back. NO Wiis in stock. Sold out.

I returned Red Steel to GameStop on Sunday evening. Read all about the horrid nature of said game in the Wii thread.

The guy there was actually really helpful.

And then he advised me to come back on Tuesday and pick up Wii Play, which comes with an extra remote. I got my giftcard and was all excited to get my newest remote and game.

Only to go today and be told "SRY, IT'S D-LAYED!"

What a fucking idiot. Yeah, maybe I should've researched it on the internet, but I'm not a big "gamer" and these clown shold've known the fucking game was delayed.

Games can be delayed at any time. We've had several games get delayed on the scheduled release date, but they don't make a big deal out of it and we usually don't find out about it until someone tries to pick the game in question up. You shouldn't blame the clerk for not knowing that the developer would delay the game before it happened.

I worked sunday (or wii-day to be more exact) sadly we only got about 12 wiis in stock and you had to get a voucher to get one, and the only caveat wa sthat you had to buy it by 12 or the voucher would expire, meaning people came early and got the voucher, then left and came back later. so some actually came too late for the voucher but didnt know about it and waited some more for no reason at all, so thusly most of them were pissed, though it did say in the ad you had to get a voucher. (someone should have made a sign for the window actually but thats neither here nor there) then for the next few hours i got calls asking about wiis and people coming up to me (once again as if wiis would survive this late) the last one went to this guy who came back at like 11:30 for it, but instead of going ot the counter he was just looking around, untill I went up to him and informed him that if he didnt claim his wii by 12 it would be sold, it was fun watching him bolt to customer service.

in other news we still have ds lites and are coming up on 2 months without any in stock. I just tell the people to complain to nintendo. I have no clue why we dont have them (black friday really wiped us out)

fun fact last week some lady made my coworker laugh out loud when she asked " do you have the wee-wee?"

My local Gamestop always has this one Arabic guy working in it. He talks like the Iraqi soldier torturing people in Three Kings. Seriously. He calls people his "main man". It annoys me.

I swear, I must go to the best store when you guys talk about this stuff. There's a Game Crazy connected to a Hollywood Video in Jackson. When I walk in, they don't ask if you want to preorder or anything like that. They ask if you need help finding anything, or to look up any games you were wanting to put on a waiting list or preorder or anything like that. Hell, when I got a used MGS3: Snake Eater for 9 bucks, he checked and saw it was scratched a bit and cleaned and buffed it for free. Looked on the comp and told me my MVP card expired and if I wanted to renew it (I did). Nothing about preorders or GET THE NEW SYSTEM TODAY stuff. Love that place.

The EB in the mall on the other hand...... oy...

Oh yeah, Game Crazy also had 3 PS3's waiting around in the back. NO Wiis in stock. Sold out.

Me and two others used to be that way when we worked at Gamecrazy. We really enjoyed our job and enjoyed our customers and found that was the best way to help them. We'd ask about them maybe pre-ordering something or we'd let them know about MVP card but we never put any pressure on anyone to pre-order a game or buy a MVP card. If they said no, we told them okie dokie and just moved along, unless the MVP card actually did save them enough money to where the MVP was either really cheap or it was pretty much free then we'd ask them again about it while letting them know how much they were actually going to save or how cheap the card was going to be and even when the company wanted us to put pressure on our customers we let them know that the company wants us to push something and thats why we're asking them about it.

Me and the other two guys really enjoyed that job, it sucks the way a District Manager and a manager tried their damnest to try and get rid of us until all 3 of us just got fed up with it and left.....well technically one was fired but you get what I ment. I miss that store and those customers a lot.

post-2289-1170647787_thumb.jpg

HAHAHA

Fuckin Gamestop (or EB, I think they use the same stickers.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Game company makes those games a lot higher than that, the Burger King games might become rare games.

3 people already beat you to the punch and it amuses me that someone would try to hook up an expensive console to a cheap tv.

Why? If a cheap tv is all a person has, then more power to 'em. I'm in that same boat. We have this really old tv in our basement, that's really only good for movies and games. It's old, but still kickin'. I've never heard of an RF converter before, and always hooked up the PS2 to this old tv thru a vcr.

I'm thinking I might get a new tv, though, just something small and not overdone. Namely, something real cheap to replace an older cheap (color starting to become green in certain spots).