TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wyld Cannon

the saddest song

Elton John: Your Song

this is a love song...are you sure you're not thinking of his song "The Last Song"? If you've seen the HBO movie "And the Band Played On" about the early stages of the AIDS outbreak, this song plays at the end during a montage showing famous people that have died of AIDS.

"Mad World" off the Donnie Darko soundtrack

Is that the same song that was on those Gears of War commercials?

I think so. It was also used on an episode of CSI last year.

It certainly is from the commercials.

I think "Mad World" is trying to chase "Hallelujah" (Buckley) for most played dramatic song in television show/commercial.

Although I've heard "How To Save A Life" in a few recent shows/ads as well.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

I'm listening to "Here Comes a Regular" by the Replacements. It's not the saddest song ever, but probably the saddest thing the 'Mats did.

Eels - Dead Of Winter

Can't get much sadder than a song about your mum dying from cancer. Better heard coming from the album it's from rather than as a stand alone track.

Good call on that Flogging Molly song someone mentioned. When you're in the right mood, that one can choke you up.

Sublime's Pool Shark is a sad one for me, especially the acoustic version. Alot of Sublime songs can be a downer when you think about how Brad's life ended.

Alannis Morrisette's hidden track on her Jagged Little Pill album (the song after the You Oughta Know alternative cut) is a sad one too. I don't know what it's called, but she just sounds so heartbroken during it.

That one song by Ben Folds on the Rockin' the Suburbs CD is quite moving. The one about his son...where the Roast Beef Combo is only $9.95.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

"Still Fighting It"? It's not heartbreaking to me, on the contrary, there's something optimistic about it. I can't see anything but "Brick" being Folds's entry into a thread like this.

Yeah..."Still Fightin' It"....

I guess it's not really sad in the mournful, heartbreaking sense, but it's sad in the winsome, bittersweet sense. The whole song's Ben Folds telling his kid that growing up sucks, but he'll eventually get through it and then leave his Dad sad and lonely.

Another sad song is "Come Home" off The Dismemberment Plan's somewhat underrated follow-up to Emergency and I, Changes.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Yeah..."Still Fightin' It"....

I guess it's not really sad in the mournful, heartbreaking sense, but it's sad in the winsome, bittersweet sense. The whole song's Ben Folds telling his kid that growing up sucks, but he'll eventually get through it and then leave his Dad sad and lonely.

That's a good way of putting it. We don't discuss Ben Folds enough here, so I should start or bump a thread for him. Artist-specific threads shoud be the new list threads and CTDWAT in 2007. Just have threads for lots of bands and solo guys instead of using Comments. Not that we can't have lists ever again, because they have their time and place as long as they foster discussion (see the 2006's worst thread for a particularly acrimonious example) and don't just become people rattling off "Jeff Buckley - Grace" with no actual talk, but I'd like to see a migration from meandering Comments banter to more initially organized stuff. Something has to warrant a thread; there are only like six on the main page.

Oh, if you wanna talk about sad songs on Rockin' the Suburbs, "Fred Jones, Pt. 2" is a killer. A loyal employee is deemed no longer useful and is being pushed out by the young go-getters fresh out of school. Probably a guy who stayed with a company through a transfer of ownership, and the new owner is finally installing all of "his people" there. That's just depressing as hell to me.

Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy.

Choices by George Jones. Hell almost any post drinking/Drug addicted George Jones songs are tearjerkers.

I agree with "Fred Jones Pt.2" and also that there should be more artist specific threads (particularly Ben).

Another sad song for me is Ryan Adams' "Hard Way to Fall", basically about someone who is still in love but that person has moved on.

Girlfriend in the coma by The Smiths ... It's about a girlfriend who's in the coma, will she goes through ?

:ph34r:

No just kidding, the one who makes me sad is A French Love ( Acoustic Version ) by Anna Ternheim. Pretty Sad

Whispering Pines- The Band, sadder still when you think about Richard Manuel's suicide

I'm listening to "Here Comes a Regular" by the Replacements. It's not the saddest song ever, but probably the saddest thing the 'Mats did.

You wouldn't happen to be a One Tree Hill watcher would you? Just asking because they recently devoted an entire episode around this song.

You wouldn't happen to be a One Tree Hill watcher would you? Just asking because they recently devoted an entire episode around this song.

They played some cool songs on this show. Between that and The Cure's Prayers for Rain ...