TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 1/1 - 1/7

We still have another game tonight but I'm creating this thread now so it's up and ready for the early games tommorrow.

MONDAY

Outback Bowl: #17 Tennessee vs. Penn State, 11:00/8:00 AM, ESPN

Cotton Bowl: #9 Auburn vs. #23 Nebraska, 11:30/8:30 AM, FOX

Capital One Bowl: #12 Arkansas vs. #7 Wisconsin, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ABC

Gator Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. #13 West Virginia, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

Rose Bowl: #5 USC vs. #3 Michigan, 5:00/2:00 PM, ABC

Fiesta Bowl: #8 Boise State vs. #10 Oklahoma, 8:00/5:00 PM, FOX

TUESDAY

Orange Bowl: #6 Louisville vs. #14 Wake Forest, 8:00/5:00 PM, FOX

WEDNESDAY

Sugar Bowl: #11 Notre Dame vs. #4 LSU, 8:00/5:00 PM, FOX

SATURDAY

International Bowl: Western Michigan vs. Cincinnati, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

SUNDAY

GMAC Bowl: Ohio vs. Southern Miss, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Guest Princess Leena

We still haven't reached a game that matters.

Well, there's a miniscule chance Michigan has a chance at the title if they destroy USC and Florida wins.

Well, there's a miniscule chance Michigan has a chance at the title if they destroy USC and Florida wins.

None of them really do, except the off-chance that the title game actually has the right pair of teams involved. The Bowl Games matter only for gambling degenerates.

The rest are essentially glorified exhibitions

What about the International Bowl!? It's such a big game that it's international!

Over/under on the attendance of the International Bowl: 10,000

Looks like Penn State is going to upset Tennessee unless the Vols make a miracle comeback in the last three minutes.

Georgia Tech is hammering WVU right now. Reggie Ball's replacement, Taylor Bennett, is 9/10 for 215 and 3 TDs in the first half, making me wonder if this is a total fluke or if Chan Gailey is the stupidest coach in the world for keeping Reggie Ball his starter this long. The gameplan of "actually throw the ball to the best receiver in the country" is working pretty well.

And CBS announcers just flubbed, calling the Capital One bowl the Citrus Bowl, and having graphics reflecting the same. Sponsors will bring the pain!

Guest Irish Lion

Why does Bill Callahan still have a job? That was horrible coaching on the last drive.

Guest Princess Leena

ESPN.

All GT coaches in the last 4 years should be banned from coaching.

Guest Irish Lion

Why do you say that? Because they started Reggie Ball? yeah you're probably right.

One of the strangest gimmick plays I've ever seen over in the Gator Bowl. Georgia Tech jumped offsides and the entire WVU o-line just...stayed in their stances, to the point that the center even kind of fell forward as the play was developing. Rock-solid, didn't block or anything. Totally confused, the secondary didn't do a thing, and Pat White just floated a big pass for a TD. Kinda surreal.

looking at Penn St shutting down Tennessee and Wisconsin shutting down Arkansas....some people may end up changing their minds about that tough schedule argument for Florida....thats all

Guest Irish Lion

Well it's become apparent this bowl season that the Big Ten rules. Who's lost? Minnesota and Iowa? And they put up good fights! So yeah.....great conference.

This Georgia Tech/West Virginia game's been about the craziest game I've seen all year. Trick plays and scoring galore as it's 38-35 in the 3rd quarter. Happy to see the Jackets offense producing, even if the meltdown on defense has been terrible.

By the way Leena, Taylor Bennett's played before when Reggie Ball was hurt and he never played anything like this before. I think the massive holes in West Virginia's secondary tend to make passing teams look good.

Well it's become apparent this bowl season that the Big Ten rules. Who's lost? Minnesota and Iowa? And they put up good fights! So yeah.....great conference.

Purdue got ass-raped in their game.

I loathe the "so-and-so conference is whooping up in the bowls they're the best unnnnnh" discussions. Bowl games are cool and all, but they're so far removed from the regular season both in purpose and team preparation that I have a hard time using them as arguments for conference superiority.

The worst teams in the Big 10 lose games so the conference sucks? Retarded post. Talk if Wisconsin and Michigan lose today

If a conference goes undefeated or winless in the bowl games that might say something about the overall strength of the confernece but otherwise the bowls don't give you a true idication of how good or bad a conference is.

Exactly. We all knew CUSA was horrible before they went 0-4 thus far in the bowl games.

Why do people care so much about conference bowl records anyways? Is having a bunch of so-so teams that might have lost the bowl game in their conference really going to make Ohio State or Michigan look lessser?

Two close games right now with the Capital One and Gator Bowl coming to the end of regulation.

Guest Irish Lion

The worst teams in the Big 10 lose games so the conference sucks? Retarded post. Talk if Wisconsin and Michigan lose today

Umm......no. I was saying the Big 10 was good. You thought I was being sarcastic with that last line but I wasn't. I was saying the worst teams in the conference put up great fights and almost won. So the conference is really really good because the worst teams in it are still doing well!

I don't know how you got what you got out of that post but you totally misread what I was saying. I meant what I said. It's probably the best conference. I don't know where everyone gets that the SEC is far and away the best conference.

Guest Princess Leena

Agreed. Bowl games are a poor way to judge which conferences are better.

By the way Leena, Taylor Bennett's played before when Reggie Ball was hurt and he never played anything like this before. I think the massive holes in West Virginia's secondary tend to make passing teams look good.

Bennett has started one game in his career. Which they won. I guess Bennett also looked bad after Reggie Jesus Ball fought his way back to play that VT game just so they could lose by 50.

Reggie Ball 44.4%

Taylor Bennett 55.2% before today.

They just showed the Wild Samoans and mentioned Rosey but not in name. Shocked they didn't make the "He's related to The Rock as well, somewhere on that tree" comment.

Guest Irish Lion
Agreed. Bowl games are a poor way to judge which conferences are better.

See people say that but then they turn around and try to use it to further their agenda to talk about which conference is better. So I don't know what I think of it. Because on one hand you guys say it's not a good judge and then on the other hand people say it is. I'm torn.

Verne Lundquist is weirding me out by referring to all the GT/WVU players by their first names. Musberger does it too, but Verne always sounds so grandfatherly. "Patrick runs it in! What a great move for Patrick!" I feel like Leena's announcing.

I don't think Leena would last 10 seconds in the booth before the networks yanked her off. Sideline reporter? Sure.

Wisconsin wins a fairly decent game.

Guest Irish Lion
Verne Lundquist is weirding me out by referring to all the GT/WVU players by their first names. Musberger does it too, but Verne always sounds so grandfatherly. "Patrick runs it in! What a great move for Patrick!" I feel like Leena's announcing.

Well that's better than the announcers during the Cotton Bowl getting gay over Nebraska's RB's calves. Then when they showed an Auburn DB he was like "No! Not those popsicles!"

Guest Irish Lion

Well even if we're not going to use bowl games as a conference barometer for how good a conference is didn't the Big Ten still perform well enough during the regular season to be considered the best? And they did have the #1 and #2 team for most of the season.

Bowl games & regular season play doesn't matter. ESPN talks about the SEC the most and that is the ultimate barometer. They have experts over there.