TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

It's a phone, widescreen video iPod, and camera all in one. Oh, and it runs OSX. Jeez. I'm waiting to see what the capacity is, though I'm expecting it to only be nano-sized/flash memory, like 8 GB.

also wi-fi and bluetooth. supposedly the touchscreen is some new sort of patent. Everything on it, from bookmarks to phone numbers and all that jazz, syncs in iPod like fashion.

Phone is GSM, one feature ppl might not be talking about but I think is insanely cool is visual voicemail, where it lists your voicemails like email and you just pick which one you wanna hear.

Also has a camera.

The interface on this sucker, assuming its as easy to use as Jobs is describing (and images are showing) is UNREAL.

Wi-Fi and Internet that runs the FULL Safari browser.

dsc_0210.jpg

(and he's still going).

A lot of new Apple announcements are over-hyped, but this one is severely underhyped. This beats the ever living shit out of every cell phone, Blackberry, and Treo on the market.

Those of you orgasming over an Apple-Google allience, GOogle's CEO just came onstage, talking about Google search and maps built right into the interface.

$499 and $599, depending on the storage size.

A bit pricey, but considering the feature-set its understandable. I cant think of any mobile device out there that handles all these things, including full web pages, the way this does.

Not out until Q4 in Europe.

At least it will give me time to talk myself into getting one. As it is, I'd still want a decent sized iPod with me, so it wouldn't be complete convergence, but I'd much rather have it over my current phone.

I'm more excited about AppleTV (formally iTV).

It's a device to stream video (and music/photos) between your computer and a TV. It's been overshadowed by iPhone, but it's more along the lines of what I've been waiting for.

I read in the comments on the Engadget article that the Cingular exclusivity is 3 years. Not sure how reliable that is, but if true that would be good for me. I probably won't have a job that will require a phone with so many capabilities until then anyway.

4GB is $499 and 8GB is $599.

I'm a little pissed it's a Cingular exclusive as I'm a Verizon guy and I'd probably seriously consider getting one.

Yeah, I'm Verizon too.

But wasn't the Razr Cingular exclusive at first too?

I actually think that's the plan.

I'm about three years away from needing a phone like this, so I'm just glad the option for the phone will be there. But I just might need to get the 6th generation iPod then if it's in this same build.

Guest Vitamin X
I hope they release an iPod Video in this design once the hardwire prices come down in a year or two. Basically this interface, but without the phone/internet.

That's actually what they plan on doing (as Mik just beat me to it in the post above). Pissed that this didn't come out at least on T-Mobile, but I doubt it will because they have the Sidekick. Sprint and Verizon won't get it because they're CDMA, and the iPhone is GSM, which is a shame since it's not as good a technology. Cingular is the worst service by far, also.

I'll just stick with getting a Treo eventually. My phone only needs to be JUST a phone, and to be honest, after playing with it only a bit, the novelty of my cell phone's MP3 and camera capabilities wore off quickly, too. The fully functional Safari and OSX, and especially the Google, is awesome though.

Also, $499 and $599 is a reasonable enough price, considering the new Treos were MSRP $600 when they came out. Most new cells are pretty expensive, but this'll definitely go down in price in a couple years to something probably more along the lines of what a nano sells for.

Will it be able to be unlocked to use with T-Mobile service?

Oh and Marvin if you're worried about people watching TV while driving, they've had car tv/dvd players for years now.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't like it. The touchscreen keyboard might be the death of this thing (not to mention that ridiculous pricetag).

This phone may keep me w/ AT&T when my contract expires next September only because it will interface with my Apple suite I will complete next year.

So....whats the difference between this and like...any PDA phone right now? the HTC Wizard plays wide screen video, has full functioning internet with full web pages, windows media player, wi-fi, blue tooth, numerous homescreen plugins that can make its interactivity customable, touch screen(although not multifinger and with a stylus) and upgradeable memory with miniSD cards (which go up to like 2-3 gigs now and are really cheap) The only thing you are missing is GPS really and that visual voicemail thing, which is cool and all, but who cares. You can get a Wizard for like 150 bucks if you look in the right place.

The only thing that seems special about this phone to me is the OSX instead of Windows Mobile. And since I couldn't care less about running OSX, thats not a big deal to me either.

I don't know. Between me having a wizard already and a WMA, the announcements of Apple TV and Iphone were pretty disappointing to me.

Well AppleTV sucks because iTunes doesn't have ANY HD content right now.

And it turns out the "mystery" application that runs on the iPhone is YouTube.

iphone-comparison-chart-2.jpg

But I'm a Mac guy, so I'd rather get an iPhone than a Windows running PDA.

Guest Vitamin X

Apple TV, aside from its hackability factor, is a pretty useless and foresighted piece of hardware. Whoever thought that content designed and sized for an iPod would work well on a screen much larger than that is a total tool.

And how is having a glass display surface better than plastic? As if Apple gear doesn't scratch easily enough already.

I like how they compared it to phones that shouldn't even be considered the same thing. Once again, if they compare it to a HTC device, they win because it is thinner...and thats about it.

I like how they compared it to phones that shouldn't even be considered the same thing. Once again, if they compare it to a HTC device, they win because it is thinner...and thats about it.

At least there's more subtlety and *stretching* the truth, instead of the outright lies Apple often manufactures in their marketing.

I cant believe they expect 10 million to be sold in the first year at $600..and I dont see it getting discounted at all in the near future since Ipods dont really get discounted until the next version comes out..if there are 10 million people dumb enough to put $600 then Apple should have charged $1,000 or something and really milk the mindless apple fans. Plus they're all going to be saddled with AT&T, which at least around here sucks. You've got an awesome phone and it runs on a crappy network! Congratulations!