TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

Depends on where you live. In Ithaca where I live now, Verizon is far and away the best.

But when I lived in Chapel Hill, Cingular was the best.

But here's the thing that people aren't getting... this doesn't break down into Apple fanboys against everyone else. ALOT of normal people want the iPhone. Face it, presentation-wise alone this thing kills. It looks great, it offers some things that a lot of people haven't seen before and it has the mother of all marketing machines behind it. It will do what Stevie J. thinks it will, 10% market share. There's not a doubt in my mind.

I, personally, will have to wait a year until my Verizon contract runs out, but yeah... this is gonna be a big seller.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I'm going to be sort of surprised to see it sell that much, even if as Mik claims, "normal" people want the phone as well as well as Apple fanboys.

Sony's going to be pissed to see someone else's mass market $600 consumer item outsell theirs, too.

I'll agree that it looks great, but the iPhone doesn't do anything that a lot of smartphones can't already do (I'll admit I like the full-size web browser, though), and Apple's marketing and design is essentially what makes them a force to be reckoned with in general.

But when it comes down to it, Apple is pimping the shit out of this thing. I've never even heard of WTC until you mentioned it Ripper.

They make every pda phone for every carrier in the US. They are a HUGE company, but the carriers have tacked their brand in the names of the products. Like the T-moble MDA is nothing but a HTC Wizard, just like Cingular 8125, and Sprints...whatever the fuck sprint calls it.

They have been doing it longer and better than anyone else, so I will trust their product, though it is obvious that it won't sell nearly as many units in the US as the I-phone because Apple is pushing it. In the Europian market they, they will make a killing. I will probably get one when they come out with a version two with at QWERTY keyboard, because fuck that typing on the screen shit.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh man, where have I been. I've got to be out of the loop if I hadn't heard that HTC was making a touch phone also- that's good shit.

Sprint calls it the PPC6700, by the way, I believe that's it. It's either the HTC Wizard or the Excalibur, I forget.

My cell phone battery died yet again after about 2 days and I got to wondering how good the battery life would be on it. My phone does shit besides have a color screen and it cant last in standby mode for more than 2 days.

Guest Vitamin X

Actually your conversion if a bit more off than that. That says 309.95 in UK pounds, not U.S. dollars.. which the current exchange rate would put it at $618.26. So much for that.

But if I wait till my contract expires with Sprint, I can switch to a GSM carrier, and the price will hopefully have dropped by then, so it all works out.

Hey, I did the conversion in my head so I forgot to carry over something or other! Sorry about that.

Its unlocked so you can use it with any carrier. Iphone will be a Cingular exclusive.

The way i see it, the iphone is prettier, and has a better looking/working UI, but the touch is much more practical. Plus, windows mobile has a open SDK which means it has great third party apps right now, while Iphone is saying that sometimes soon they will open up to third parties. For right now, it is a better purchase if you don't want a Cingular plan. (those Iphone prices are with a 2 year commitment. i am guessing the standalone phone will be around 800 bucks)

LOL

The cheapest plan for it is $60 which is only 450 minutes, 200 text messages and unlimited data service, the most expensive is $100 and only offers 1350 minutes. Im surprised with the unlimited data service off the bat since I figured theyd charge per MB for the "OMG REAL INTERNET ON A PHONE" for at least a little while til people complained. Plus you get locked into a 2 year agreement on the phone when you buy it, there isn't any sort of full price for no lock in contract.

wow..I cant see many people being happy in the long run once the euphoria of "OMG I GOT AN IPHONE!!!" wears off and suddenly they realize they're paying out the nose and stuck with a crappy carrier.

I was just thinking. I get 1300 minutes and 200 text messages for $35 a month. Granted, I I have a shitty phone..but..still that beats having an awesome phone and having to shell out $100 a month for the same minutes..though no internet but you cant tell me that the unlimited internet on the thing is worth 70 bucks a month.

$60 which is only 450 minutes, 200 text messages and unlimited data service

What's so bad about that? I don't get free data service, which is why my phone bill is about $100 a month.

The battery life question: Apple says that the iPhone's battery will survive up to 8 hours of talk time, up to 250 hours of idle time, up to 6 hours of Internet use, up to 7 hours of video playback, and up to 24 hours of audio playback. And to explain how it came up with these numbers, the company has posted a list of footnotes and disclaimers that rivals the rules you find on a "free trip to Hawaii" sweepstakes form. We won't know the reality until we're holding the iPhone in our trembling, multitouching fingers. Apple's spec page says that the 8 hours of talk time was achieved when "the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off." So how disabled was the Wi-Fi when talk time was tested? Apple also doesn't make clear what combination of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and EDGE was employed to achieve the 7 hours of Internet use. Macs have pretty good power management settings. What will the iPhone offer? Until more is known, be prepared to carry around the phone charger.

Off-limits battery: While we're on the subject of the battery, it's worth noting that, like the original iPod, the iPhone has its battery enclosed in a superslim case among tightly negotiated electronics and behind a top surface of glass--reducing the chances of a DIY battery replacement to next to nil. (Plus, we suspect that attempting a replacement voids the warranty.) So if your battery life dwindles to roughly 6.5 minutes per charge, or the battery malfunctions, you'll have to send your iPhone in for repair

Hmm

The locked up battery thing sucks.

Marv, the iPhone's main purpose isn't to be just a phone. The killer app is the fusion of a (supposed) fully-usable internet browser, a fully operational iPod, and a phone all in one. It's a hip, super-styled Blackberry with superior internet functionality that also has enough storage space and the iPod software necessary to accommodate most people's music libraries. Instead of taking your Blackberry and iPod to work, now you take your iPhone, and for most people it has features that can make it better than either of them. I agree that some of the decisions in the execution are questionable (only web-based apps, for example), but this thing is going to be huge and loved by piles of people for all those reasons.

Plus, what the hell phone service do you have that gives you 1300 minutes for $35? Some local provider that only works in Maryland? Verizon, Alltel, Cingular, T-Mobile...all the major national carriers give you about 450-600 minutes for $40. The iPhone data and phone plans are more or less comparable to the market.

Guest Vitamin X

Now this is according to Apple, but they're claiming 8 hours talk, 250 standby, 6 internet use, 7 video, and 24 audio. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. Even if it's half of what they're claiming, that's still pretty decent.

I'm glad I'm waiting a year to get this because like with all Apple products, there will be bugs with early editions.

Due to the heightened scrutiny, they will surely be tested to death, though... so I'm not sure. I was reading a financial article that said even a minor hiccup can drop Apple's stock due to the intense hype.

"I have a shitty phone..but..still that beats having an awesome phone and having to shell out $100 a month"

That's debatable. I'd say having a sweet browser and music playback isn't available on your "shitty phone". Plus, "shitty phone" isn't something people can show off.

Can't wait to go get mine in a year or so when they're $400.

"I have a shitty phone..but..still that beats having an awesome phone and having to shell out $100 a month"

That's debatable. I'd say having a sweet browser and music playback isn't available on your "shitty phone". Plus, "shitty phone" isn't something people can show off.

Can't wait to go get mine in a year or so when they're $400.

Ive got an XM Inno portable MP3 player/XM reciever AND a Creative Zen Micro 6 GB MP3 player, so I certainly do not need a 3rd MP3 player in my phone. And AT&Ts EDGE network isnt available here to support the hi speed browsing so that instantly rules it out anyway for me even if I did want it.

I paid $20 bucks for the "shitty" phone without any sort of contract for $30 a month which to me is much better than $600 for the phone and a 2 year contract @ $60 a month minimum. I just want a goddamn phone..and Im sure there are tons of people just like that. I dont need to go around showing around my pHone..I Do that with other stuff that Ive way more into.

So they market this as an internet device, yet it doesn't even have the option to go broadband, it works on AT&T's slower network....what's the point?

Just off the top of my head...

No MMS messaging(only through email can you send pictures)

Non-Removable Battery

No IM capable programs

No GPS capabilites..

I mean for all this phone CAN do, there is a lot it CANT do, and most of it a PDA can do just as good, and faster.

I told myself I wasn't going to get one, but now that we are inching closer to the release date I feel myself being tempted into making a purchase. I'm such a sucker for new technology.

patent-ipod-touch13.gif

That's one of the latest patents that Apple has filed for the newest ipod. Personally, I hate touch screen. However, if they eliminate the physical touch pad to make room for a bigger screen, I'm all game. I think that if they want to really destroy the Zune, which was once considered a pithy competitor actually is holding good ground despite its many setbacks, they need to release the 6G iPod in the same design as the iPhone, but just make it strictly an iPod. Also, kick the HD up to 80GB for the baseline and boost battery to 24h for music and however much for watching videos.

The iPhone is a really awesome gadget. It's not the most expensive PDA on the market, but it is one of the best. However, the shit with AT&T is a tragedy because, after listening to NPR reviews, the calling service is bad and the internet service is much worse. AT&T is already an ISP, so it seemed kind of natural, but unless you're in a Wi-Fi hotspot, you're SOL on the internet. I think it's just going to replace the sidekick. All the celebrities are going to have it, etc.