TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

Guest Vitamin X

I think the iPhone is the epitome of the complete wrong way phones have been going these days- way too many novelties packed into a phone, and not a whole lot of emphasis placed on the phone itself.

I think the iPhone is the epitome of the complete wrong way phones have been going these days- way too many novelties packed into a phone, and not a whole lot of emphasis placed on the phone itself.

I agree. I use my phone to make calls, and not much else. Phones in Japan are worse.

Guest Vitamin X

Well the Japanese are noted technophiles, but everyone already knew that.

Well the Japanese are noted technophiles, but everyone already knew that.

The American Culture is heading in the same direction but I doubt we'll ever be as creepy as Japan when it comes to technology. They have shit when you look at it you just go, "What the hell is the point?"

The iPhone is definitely not for me. I mean, it looks absolutely awesome but most of the crap on it I will never use. When I leave the house and leave work to go out, I have no desire to get on the internet so that's a good bit of the thing not being for me. As for music, I'm pretty sure that's what the 250 plus dollar iPod was for and I don't even want one of those things at the moment.

Plus at the rate technology is going, this thing will be obsolete in two years or less. Pure craziness.

Its not so crazy to have a all in one device. About 5 years ago, you would see business men with a phone, a PDA and CD player. They looked like fucking idiots.

Its pretty cool that you can have all in one now. The Iphone is the prettiest of them all, but the fact is, outside the UI, it doesn't do anything better than a PDA phone right now, at twice the cost. Maybe after they open up the programing so third party vendors can go to town on that puppy, it will be cool.

But they better hurry up, because since Windows mobile phones have a open SDK, you can expect maybe a month before someone starts to mimic alot of its UI features. There is this cool program called i-contacts right now that mimics the cool scrolling feature of the Iphone with your contacts. It is in its early, simple stages but it is pretty freakin cool. Its only a matter of time before someone expands on it.

Personally, I want something like the HTC Shift, so I don't have to carry this stupid work laptop anymore. Fuck that thing.

Guest Vitamin X

The HTC Shift, for those who don't know it:

htcshift.jpg

Gizmodo describes it as the UMPC for UMPC-haters, and that's absolutely true. Of course, not to turn this into an HTC thread with Ripper here, but if they made the S710 for Sprint, I'd be on that like white on rice.

s710_141x228.jpg

It's like a Sidekick, only more usable as a smartphone/PDA. Awesome battery life too, 7 hrs. talk, 175 standby.

I Got a kick out of it taking 6 forevers for Engadget to upload the pics of the iphone over AT&T's edge network..

It looks like the silver metallic finish easily scratches..uh oh. I also wonder..how long that touch screen will stay scratch free and pretty looking considering it doesn't flip or anything to protect the screen and you cant exactly cover it with anything without losing total functionality.

The box is also rediculously huge for the size of the phone.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the display surface is made of GLASS.

Yes, drop this baby and it'll shatter, or at least crack sort of. Easily scratches.

And it looks like people are already doing the PS3 thing with this. Go on craigslist and there's tons of iPhone listings for like $1000 a pop.

i fiddled with it at the Apple store. It was pretty cool. Particularly the internet and using multi-touch to navigate, scroll, and zoom in/out. the touch-keyboard was better than a normal cell phone's 3-letters-per-key system, but not as good as a larger blackberry's full keyboard.

I can't wait for multi-touch to get incorporated with more devices - it's really cool, and the first time i've ever actually believed it could one day replace the mouse. there's something cool about dragging your finger to move a screen left right and drag objects, very Minority Report.

Funny, I was thinking minority report when I was playing with one.

My coworker has one, and the UI is incredible and its fun to navigate, and visual voicemail rules all, but it really doesn't do much else. If I didn't have a PDA phone and it was a little cheaper, I would consider getting one. As is, it really wouldn't be that much of a upgrade.

525,000 units sold this weekend.

Which is a remarkable number.

Figures.

Apple didn't train anywhere near enough agents to support it; they're throwing people from other depts into half-assed training sessions and instituting mandatory overtime. They'll be taking calls on it July 4th, too.

Fuck this company.

Figures.

Apple didn't train anywhere near enough agents to support it; they're throwing people from other depts into half-assed training sessions and instituting mandatory overtime. They'll be taking calls on it July 4th, too.

Fuck this company.

Oh, its not just Apple that does that. I won't say who I work for, but my job sure is Comcastic :ph34r:

Incidentally, I found out a little bit of useful information about the iPhone, and what it does/doesn't include.

-No GPS, but as mentioned, one of the menu icons accesses google maps.

-While it can be used as an iPod (after activation), it isn't compatible with iPod games, unfortunately.

-The OS isn't officially customizable, and doesn't support adding additional applications. Any extra/3rd party apps used through it will need to be web-based.

-It doesn't work *at all* as an iPod/video player/etc. until it's activated. So no getting it contract-free and making use of the other functions. I think it will just tell you your SIM card hasn't been activated when you turn it on.

-It has an "Airplane mode" that will cut it off from accessing the web so you'll still be able to listen to music, view photos, etc on a plane.

-The battery is non-user-replaceable, just like an iPod. So you have to mail it in if the battery goes dead.

-It has a built-in digital camera lens. It's 2 megapixel and is fixed-focus; no zoom.

-"Some 3rd party" stereo headphones/headsets may not work it. Big shock. It supports bluetooth headsets, though (not sure which ones/brands).

A lot of this is status-quo anyway, though.

how long as the batteries estimated to last? I know my iPod mini is 2 to 2.5 years old, and while the charge length of the battery has dimmed some over time, it's still running fine.

if there's some easy hack or workaround to use ipod, video, and wi-fi internet without activating, i'd look into getting one for cheap from somewhere. but otherwise, no contract business for me. Alas, its such a cool device too. i've heard you can get a plan then cancel within 48 years (to avodi getting charged the activation fee) but it seems like too much trouble for the rewards.

how long as the batteries estimated to last? I know my iPod mini is 2 to 2.5 years old, and while the charge length of the battery has dimmed some over time, it's still running fine.

if there's some easy hack or workaround to use ipod, video, and wi-fi internet without activating, i'd look into getting one for cheap from somewhere. but otherwise, no contract business for me. Alas, its such a cool device too. i've heard you can get a plan then cancel within 48 years (to avodi getting charged the activation fee) but it seems like too much trouble for the rewards.

Playing relatively high bitrate VGA H.264 videos, our iPhone lasted almost exactly 9 freaking hours of continuous playback with cell and WiFi on (but Bluetooth off). Yeah, we had to pick our jaws up off the floor, too. So by our tests, you could watch a two hour movie and drain off a little more than 22% of the battery -- totally acceptable for trip-taking and the like.

Our music testing showed similarly outstanding results. Playing back 160-192Kbps MP3s, our iPhone pushed about 29 hours and 30 minutes music playback. To put that in perspective, the Apple claims the iPod nano gets about 24 hours playback on a full charge, and the iPod a scant 14 - 20 hours.

To do a little simple math, you could watch two hours of video, listen to 8 straight hours of music, and still have only drained off less than half your device's capacity -- that is, if your iPhone's battery works as well as ours. (Read: your battery life may differ.) Still, if that's a good estimate of what users can expect from their device's power drain, you should have little issue making the iPhone your music and video player, in addition to your cellphone.

The Engadget review.

I think he meant in terms of having to return the thing to get a new battery when it will no longer recharge.

Figures.

Fuck this company.

Oh, its not just Apple that does that. I won't say who I work for, but my job sure is Comcastic :ph34r:

Especially when you work for Convergys.

Stupid bitch. Got what she deserved.

I thought there was a limit of 2 instead of 1, but whatever...minor point.

I spent a solid 20 minutes reading the Engadget review when I was at work earlier and I sincerely wish I had the $800 or so extra that I would need to get an iPhone. $175 to cancel Verizon is too much to not just wait a year but wow... I really wish I had one of these like today.

I'm glad to see all the negatives that Engadget pointed out but for my usage none of the major flaws really matter to me.

http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_htctouch_flv.htm

fuck Iphone. $399.00 if you look.

Okay, I'm in love with that thing. Where do I look for it to be $399??

About the only downside to it is that it's GSM, so I'd have to switch carriers.

Well after alot of experimenting, this thing is kinda bullshit. The whole touchscreen thing is purely software and you can impliment this into your current Windows Mobile Device. I have the entire TouchFlo interface and cube and functions on my Cingular 8125 right now and it runs perfectly. The only thing is that I have to hit a button to invoke the cube thingy when on the touch you just have to swipe your finger. Besides that, works completely the same.

I will admit, my phone is cool as fucking hell now but I wouldn't buy this thing.