TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

I'd get the Touch if I hadn't just finished university. Cause a WiFi device with a decent browser on campus (we've had campus wide WiFi for a couple years now) where I used to spend most of my time would be pretty sweet. Some good calendar/organizational apps would be great for it too, essentially a really nice iPod/PDA.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree with Mole (!?!). To be fair, if the Touch had an 80GB instead of an 8 or 16GB hard drive, I wouldn't mind paying a lot for that.

Touch sounds great...if the iPod Classics with their huge amount of storage didn't show that you are paying more for 1/10th of the storage space. Maybe when the unlocked iPhones go down in price, I'll grab one and upgrade my 5G iPod.

My first impulse as number one mac fanboy of the universe was "I WANT IPOD TOUCH NOW", but yeah... I'm never buying one of those at 8/16 gb. Just not enough for me.

I'm thinking of going w/ an iPhone and a 160gb classic for my next round of purchases.

It will be my 5th ipod. yikes. In fairness, though, I gave one away when I got one for $40 (when I bought my first iMac) and I broke one.

As an Apple fanboy, my first reaction to the iPod Touch was that it was a joke. I really couldn't believe how fucking stupid that shit is. It costs $50 more than the arguably better iPod "classic," and has 1/10th the capacity. I think that's just kind of ridiculous. I don't need to go on the internet. The youtube feature is nice, although shoddy at times, and the internet function is a hassle. The 3.5" screen is the only thing that I would've liked to see in the new ipod. I'm VERY glad the HD space is now 80GB and 160GB, so now I don't have to limit myself to what things I can and can't have. I have like 40GB of music (and thanks to a few new sites that's going to increase a hell of a lot more) and would like to start putting some youtube videos on the jPod. I'm probably just going to ask for one this christmas though. I have next to no monies.

It's also a little depressing that Apple has failed to actually release a new ipod in the 5/4G realm, they have just been continually updating them, each time adding in an extra few features or dropping the price. I wanted a legitimate 6G iPod, not just the third child in the 5G line. The screen is just pathetic to watch videos on. Although it's less of a machine than the iPod is, the Zune had the screen set up right. The iPhone has the same set up, but it has very limited HD space.

01large20070905tn8.jpg06large20070905wq8.jpg

I think Apple did a great job with their set of updates yesterday. Some people don't seem to be big fans, but I'm not quite sure why the criticism is there. The majority of the unhappiness seems to come from the fact that the iPod Touch doesn't have the storage capacity that the iPod Classics do. However, it's a simple question of storage capacity versus battery life and form factor. If you look at the battery comparisons between the flash-based Touch and the hard drive-based Classic, the Classic somehow gets better battery life despite having the moving parts of a hard drive. Quite simply, that means that the full-size screen, touch interface, advanced processor, and WiFi capabilities eat up a ton of battery life. If they wanted to put a hard drive into the Touch, they'd have to add an extremely large battery on top of that just to get it back to the already-modest battery capabilities of the current touch. It'd add to the cost, and it'd also make the unit significantly chunkier than it already is. With the limits of flash technology today, Apple had to make a choice, and they went with Flash.

This decision makes a lot more sense when you look at the iPod Touch as a new line of iPods, instead of a continuation of the previous line. If you want a successor to the 5th gen iPods, that's what the Classic is there for. Tons of storage, an updated UI with a (supposedly just OK) version of CoverFlow, and battery life that blows away anything Apple's ever put out (40 hours of audio/7 hours of video for the 160GB model). Meanwhile, the Touch is in its first generation. It's not continuing on any traditions, unless you count the iPhone. And if you do count the iPhone, this is a clear evolution on storage size in a time period of less than three months. I'm sure that Apple will gladly up the storage capacity to 16 GB/32 GB as soon as the memory is cheap enough, viable enough, and widely available to satisfy the massive, massive demand that Apple has for flash memory. I would guess that towards the end of the first quarter of 2008, we'll see that bump. It's just like what happened with the first gen iPod: It had a small storage capacity, and after it had been developed a bit further and tech prices came down, fuller-featured models that satisfied the need for increased storage became available.

Overall, the iPod line has never looked better. You've got a great ultra-portable entry choice with the Shuffle, a redesigned Nano capable of video for those who don't want to spend a ton, the Classic for people needing to satiate their desire to have their entire library on the go with them, and the iPod Touch/iPhone to split the high end market into people who want a phone, and people who don't. It's true that, as of now, there isn't one iPod that takes care of everyone perfectly all at once. But in a year or so, when flash memory prices drop, and 32 GB (or even 64 GB) Touches become available, that problem should go away.

Yeah... very well said.

I just think that anyone who has an iPhone simply will not buy an iPod touch, which limits the market for rapid fanboys who want everything you put out. They are just way too similar.

I still have plans to get an iPhone when my Verizon contract runs out, so my next iPod will definitely be a classic.

I personally don't understand the point of getting a Iphone if you aren't going to utilize the ipod-ness of it. I mean if you are going to carry a ipod anyway, there are dozens of phones better than the iphone, and at half the cost.

I personally don't understand the point of getting a Iphone if you aren't going to utilize the ipod-ness of it. I mean if you are going to carry a ipod anyway, there are dozens of phones better than the iphone, and at half the cost.

Indeed.

Indeed.

That phone is actually a brittle piece of shit though. But I get his point.

When it comes to the phone side, the only thing that IPHONE offers you is visual voicemail over anything else. Other than that, its entire selling point is that it is a ipod and a phone. Thats about it. And of course, basically every other phone can play mp3's, but hey, if you want a IPOD you want a IPOD.

To be fair, the internet experience on the iPhone is significantly better than it is on most smartphones (in the limited hands-on time I've had with an iPhone). But I think the main point there is true - no one's buying the iPhone simply to use it as a cell phone. It's a device that allows you to make your pocket less cluttered with gadgets, and it succeeds admirably at that.

And for any iPhone early adopters feeling screwed: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/ - a $100 credit at the Apple Store to all existing iPhone owners not covered by rebate plans.

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs

Apple CEO

I work at RadioShack and we are getting some Nanos in tomorrow. (I think about 10 in all).

I'll be telling every customer that we got them.

The 160gb iPod for $349 is unbelievable. I mean, that's seriously awesome. Even I couldn't fill that thing up. If I hadn't bought a really nice case for my two-year-old one at the beginning of this year, I'd be upgrading.

Disappointed that there was no new news about Leopard. I'm terrified it's going to destroy my 4G Powerbook.

G4 probably is fine. G3ers? Bye-bye! Good riddance, all you no-DVD-drive-having whiners.

Fuck you, the G4 desktops don't have DVD burners either. I'll kill you.

Because you need a DVD *burner* to *read* DVDs?

Combos or Supers were all at the very least *options* on the G4s.

Am I the only one who hates CoverFlow? It's fucking useless and requires so much unnecessary scrolling. Fuck it.

Ok so I just got an ipod and I'm trying to put on/ convert video files onto it. The files are .avi's. I was under the impression that itunes would be able to convert them but they aren't even picking them up.

Do i need to download an .avi - .mp4 converter?

So, I won $8000 playing poker in the past few days. I'm driving to Syracuse tomorrow to get an iPhone as my gift to myself. Can't wait. So glad they lowered the price.

Online: Mike Legend 24 on Full Tilt or MikeLegend24 on Pokerstars. Say hello if you ever see me on the table.

I had a $800 cash, a $990 cash and the big one yesterday...2nd in a $200 tournament for $5700.

Ok so I just got an ipod and I'm trying to put on/ convert video files onto it. The files are .avi's. I was under the impression that itunes would be able to convert them but they aren't even picking them up.

Do i need to download an .avi - .mp4 converter?

Yes. Go to iLounge and search or browse for something like that. It's my one-stop-shop for all my iPod info needs. Srsly.

Well, it's easily the best iPod I've ever owned.

The touch aspect and screen ratio is unreal. It's also very cool to flip it sideways, zoom through cover flow and select a different song that way.

Phone's ok - only really talked on it for like 10 minutes so far but no problems. The new ringtone maker on iTunes is nice. I was able to design my own ringtone.

The only thing I hate so far is that you have to delete each email indivually. I suppose it won't be a problem in the future, but for some reason they had over 500 emails in my inbox today and I had to go through and delete them one by one. Total pain.

I guess I can see where Ripper is coming from saying it's only crushing other smart phones via interface. But I had a RAZR and it's a world of difference. I love it. And for only $423.

I guess I can see where Ripper is coming from saying it's only crushing other smart phones via interface. But I had a RAZR and it's a world of difference. I love it. And for only $423.

The Razr is/was fucking horrible. It was just a thin, barebones phone. It really really sucked for the price they were looking for when it came out.

And wow. People are actually defending what Apple did there? Wow.

And wow. People are actually defending what Apple did there? Wow.

Dude are you fucking stupid or something? Nothing that Apple has EVER done has been wrong. Nothing that Apple will EVER do will be wrong. Apple are the smartest peoples in history and you'd have to be some conformist living a pathetic life with products NOT created by the divine force that is Apple to object to anything they'd do. You must just be jealous that Microsoft doesn't have an awesome phone out and I'm thoroughly convinced that you are sucking off Bill Gates right now.*

*This comment brought to you by 90% of the Mac owners I've ever met.

But seriously, Gizmodo has the best commentary on this. It's not just the bricking of hacked phones (which people should have expected, even if it is a shitty thing for them to do) that is the big problem.

I believe that with these high end smart phones the best way to go is to have them as open as possible with lots of 3rd part development, like with Nokia or RIM. However, that is definitely not the Steve Jobs way. But whatever, the 'people like flashy stuff over features' philosophy has worked pretty well for them so far in the consumer electronics field.

can anything like this happen with the iPod Touch? I'd imagine there's no phone service unlocking going on, so can you install all that 3rd party stuff and not get bricked? It's all a little technical and making my head hurt reading about it.

can anything like this happen with the iPod Touch? I'd imagine there's no phone service unlocking going on, so can you install all that 3rd party stuff and not get bricked? It's all a little technical and making my head hurt reading about it.

Yeah, iPod firmware gets updated all the time too. When I plug in my iPod nano into the PC iTunes sometimes pops up the 'Update your firmware' dialog.

anyone know a place that still sells the 2G Nanos (new, not used)? I hate the new fattie nanos, and now would be a good time to grab one of those swanky black 8gb 2nd gen models (the price will probably be lower now).