TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

I got ahold of an iPod Touch, wouldn't have gotten it normally but I got it for around 220... pretty cool device. Multi-touch is way cool, and the screen is really nice for video. My music collection isn't huge and I dont spend a lot of time downloading video, only the occasional South Park or Office episode, so the space limitation is ok for me, but for those of you with many gigs of music/video, it's too small for you.

Yesterday I did the "Jailbreak" on it, the Touch Jailbreak is software only, so you can restore it anytime in iTunes, but I'm still going to hold off on any new firmware. I installed some iPhone apps (Mail, Weather, Notes), and a few games (Tetris, minesweeper, lights, etc), an Instant Message client, an NES emulator, Summerboard, eBook Reader.

I figured I would bump this for a few points.

1) The new Google maps feature that came out a few months ago is pretty friggin' awesome. If you aren't aware - you can press a button in the maps menu and triangulate your position using cell phone towers. Depending on the quality of reception you can get within a few blocks. I actually used this when I was lost and was able to get directions right on my phone from the triangulated position. This was actually a bit of a life saver that night.

It's also cool how you can search for "pizza" or "bank" and it drops a pin on all of the locations in your immediate area. I find that not only really helpful but extremely cool.

2) iPhone 2.0 will be out in about two months which I'm sure you heard of if you browse any tech sites. It's finally going to be the iPhone everybody wanted off the bat. Opened up to everyone with all types of applications on it. I personally can't wait.

3) It looks like the 3G iPhone is going to be out by the end of the year. I feel like I'm going to have to switch because 3G >>> Edge but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I've had my phone for nearly 8 months now and I haven't had any issues.

Guest Smues

I was excited to get an iPhone for awhile, but then I discovered you can't get one without a 2 year service contract. Fuck a bunch of that. I've been with Cingular/AT&T for over 6 years and I'm not allowed to pay ~$500 for a fucking phone and not get tethered to a 2 year contract? Apple can eat my ass.

I really like my iPod Touch, but I'm having iPhone envy. internet browsing is the best on this device i've ever seen, and i wish i didnt have to rely on wi-fi. Its the first mobile internet I'd actually use on a couch when there's a computer elsewhere in the same house (whereas a normal phone internet i'd only use it outside if I had to) A lot of people wont have use for a lot if iPhone/Touch's features and that's cool, but for others, these features are great.

My Touch is still jailbreaked, with the new firmware, and it's really robust. I've downloaded games, various utilities, eBook reader, etc. While i'm sure Apple's SDK will be interesting, you'll have to pay for so much of it. I really like what the indy community has done, and "Installer" is a great way to download programs right from the device. I'm impressed.

Those of you with jailbreaked Touches or iPhones, look out for these apps:

MxTube - basically a clone of the Youtube app, but you hit a button and it downloads and stores the video on your device. Right now I have that tear jerker Desmond/Penny moment from LOST a few weeks back ;)

Books - eBook reader. Duh. do a search for an installer source, i think it's like someguy1's eBooks, he put a ton of AWESOME books up there.

Tris - Tetris that uses the touch pad. You can drag the piece around with your finger, tap to rotate

Netflix - there's a util somewhere in Installer that lets you re-order and add movies to your netflix queue

I bought a 30GB video ipod off EBay for $140. I then spent $40 for the software to convert my dvds to be viewable. I ditch out of work every day at lunch to watch the week's wrestling shows since I never have time at home. I love it.

Thanks for posting that. It reminded me to see how much iPod Hi-Fi speaker systems are going for on eBay because I no longer need mine. Turns out that Apple discontinued it and they are selling for more then I paid for it - ca-ching!

June 9 Gen. 2 iPhone will be announced and allegedly will drop somewhere around June 15. Excellent...I'm planning on getting one when my contract ends.

Guest Smues

Someone else can post the details on the new Iphone if they want. I won't bother, because I found the only piece of information that I needed to see:

"All customers will be required to sign a 2-year agreement. There will not be a "no commitment" price for the iPhone 3G."

FUCK CingularAT&T. I want a damned Iphone but I don't do service contracts. At least with this one they're actually giving you a discount with that 2 year deal, but christ. Is it too much to ask this fucking company to not make me sign a service contract for the phone I want? I'm sure if I bitch about it they'll tell me it's Apple's fault like with the 1st gen Iphone, but I doubt that's the case now that Apple won't be getting a cut of monthly billings. Again, FUCK AT&T.

(Yes I know, what's the problem with signing a contract for a phone that's not going to work on another network anyway? I just don't like service contracts. If I want to cancel my service on a whim (or because I get fired and can't pay for it or something like that) I should be able to, especially when I'm willing to pay full non subsidized price for a phone. And Iphone service would surely cost me more a month than my current plan, so they'd get more money from me. )

At 199.99 its actually worth it. It was just too much money before for it to be basically a dumbed down, prettier version of a WM phone.

I would actually consider getting one, but if I am not confused, it is a hassle getting in the thing and using another Sim card, right? If so, screw that.

I heard this new one comes with a sim card remover directly in the box.

I'm not getting this one right away. I'll stick with my crappy EDGE first gen for awhile. It can still run the 2.0 firmware and I'll just be happy with that for a bit.

Guest Vitamin X

I heard that AT&T is going to raise the price on the data plans it costs a bit, so it kind of offsets the lowered price a little bit. Still a rip-off IMO.

I bought a 30GB video ipod off EBay for $140. I then spent $40 for the software to convert my dvds to be viewable. I ditch out of work every day at lunch to watch the week's wrestling shows since I never have time at home. I love it.

Where did you find the software for that? I have the 80GB Ipod and want to load a bunch of DVDs on it for a trip, but can't figure out how.

iPhone 3G is actually more expensive. What was once $60 a month is now $75 (the SMS is now an extra cost too). Do the math and you'll see the "price decrease" gets made up like 13 months (just over halfway) through the contract.

What software did you buy?

I've converted some DVDs to mp4 using two programs (DVD Decrypter and Videora), but it's a clunky long process. Using "one step" programs I've tried all end up with audio sync problems.

They raised the price of texting on the 3G as well? I'm not really sure how that's justified. I can see a raised data price because 3G is more expensive for them and quicker fo the consumer but a text is going through the same speed no matter what network you're using. That's odd.

Yet another reason I'm sticking with good ol' edge for now.

Where did you find the software for that? I have the 80GB Ipod and want to load a bunch of DVDs on it for a trip, but can't figure out how.

The one I bought is http://www.pqdvd.com/

If you type in convert videos to Ipod you will find a lot of sites that will give you a trial version just so you can test them out to see which you want to purchase. The trials usually only allow you to do a few minutes so you won't be able to do a whole movie. Maybe test it with a music video.

Huh?

Where did you hear that?

Data went up from $20/month to $30/month.

From the AT&T store rep. Right now my current voice plan is 40 a month for the same amount of minutes you get with the base iPhone plan and they told my add 30 for data, which would be $70 a month + taxes

Guest Vitamin X

If the data plan is going up for ALL AT&T data plans and not just new one, that would really, really suck for non-iPhone 3G customers like Mik up there.

I'm still not getting anywhere near that thing out of general principle. It's not just Apple ripping off customers for fancy looks but AT&T gets in on it as well. If ou let some other carriers get in on it, you could probably see some more competition there. Some fucking bullshit that all is, mang.

I'd rather get a Crackberry or the new sexy Palm Centro which is only $100 with a new plan- and only a bit more than that if you don't want to get locked in to one like Smues up there. It's even a quad-band phone on AT&T's GSM network.

Guest Smues

I'm pretty sure the data increase is only because the move to 3G and won't affect none 3G data plans. I pay I think $15 a month right now for medianet, and I sure as fuck wouldn't pay $30 a month for the slow service I get. I WOULD pay the damned $30 a month for the Iphone data, but gee golly they don't want me to apparantly.

I refuse to pay for any data plan. Its seldom I am anywhere that doesn't have a wifi connection floating around except when I am in a car, and then, what the fuck am I trying to use then.

The iPhone 2.0 firmware came out today. I can't download it until tomorrow and I'm chomping at the bit here.

This is what the iPhone should have been from the beginning...open to 3rd party development.

A lot of the common aps are free... like AIM, twitter, facebook, etc. but there are some that cost some cash.

I got an iPhone today with Rogers, here in Canada. They have this thing for existing customers where you can simply do a Hardware Upgrade and then buy the iPhone for $349 + activation fee and not have to buy a data plan. This way, I keep my monthly bill the same and I can just use Wifi. Just like Ripper, I'm almost never away from a Wifi area when I am able to use a device like this so it doesn't make much sense to get a data plan.

The iPhone though is very impressive. I am amazed by its touch screen and love how the videos are played on such a huge screen. The only thing that bugs me is how every good application costs money. Even though some are just $0.99, I refuse to pay money for some application on a phone that's costing an arm and a leg already. I am a slave to technology though and am still drooling over this device.

What is costing you $0.99. I put some pretty damn good apps on my phone for free.

I may spring for some games eventually but I expect them to cost money.