TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

Oh. I was just wondering if they were charging $0.99 in Canada for apps that are free in the US. What about Facebook, MySpace, NYT, AIM, etc? Those should be free apps. Are they?

Yeah, those are still free. I think the ones that are free are free worldwide. It would be nice if some people can develop some more Canadian content since a lot of us here don't use AIM or MySpace. MSN Messenger would be nice.

Noticeable album art on advertisement of new ipod nanos:

Justice

Matt Costa

Calvin Harris

Datarock

Fucking hipsters

I'll probably end up getting the 16GB Nano. My old ipod Nano 4GB still works, but is 2 1/2 years old and is full.

MacWorld article

The revamped nano line comes in a host of colors—purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink, and silver. The 8GB nano sells for $149 while the 16GB model sells for $199; both nanos are now shipping.

Apple also pared down the iPod classic line to just one model—a 120GB music player that costs $249. Previously, the classic line came in two versions—a $249 80GB model and a $349 160GB model.

Sucks they didn't do any major updates to the classic like I was rooting for, but I guess its understandable. Audiophiles will have to settle for a less than trendy music brick.

The thing that caught my eye the most today was the dual driver in ear bud headphones for $79. Usually dual driver headphones are upwards of $200, which explains why I as of yet do not own any. If they are as good as advertised, for the price, I gotta pick them up.

I'm trying to figure out how to/if to consolidate my iPod library. I have a 30gb iPod video and my iPhone. The problem is, I don't ride the bus anymore and I don't really walk anywhere so using the iPhone as my iPod as kind of lost its shine. I'm thinking of just ditching the 30 gig and picking up the 120 gb classic to have for years. I only have about 45 gigs worth of music right now.

I'm also hoping iPhone update 2.1 fixes some fo the bigger problems with the firmware (I'm looking at you delayed keyboard when texting, dropped calls, and lower then usual call volume!)

But the headphones are what I have my eye on the most here.

The headphones do look pretty cool. They feature a thing that can go back and forth between songs too, a feature that has been missing on ipod earbuds since the exclusion of that little port on the top of past iPod models. What's the dual driver thing? They look nice enough so I can get them for bike riding, but my main headphones are Grado SR80s, some of the greatest consumer headphones made for the price.

Also, Apple called their new ipod touch "the funnest ipod ever" which is enough to make me never ever want to buy an ipod touch.

It might be nice, however, to have an iPod shuffle for rides. I might go get one this week. $50 or $70, looks like a pretty good price to me.

Guest Vitamin X
Apple also pared down the iPod classic line to just one model—a 120GB music player that costs $249. Previously, the classic line came in two versions—a $249 80GB model and a $349 160GB model.

HA! Oh man. I'm so glad I've waited so long to buy a freaking iPod. I ALMOST got one for my birthday two weeks ago, but decided to wait until Christmas. I would've gotten gipped out of 40GB more for the same price! Which is better than a couple years ago when I was first looking at iPods and wanted one, and the $249 version was like, 40GB.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and the iPod Touch is such a spectacular waste of money, I can only help but laugh at the dumb idiots that buy them. Way to overpay for a castrated iPhone, you douchebags. It gets limited internet surfing capability (only at wifi hotspots) and that's about the only advantage you get with it over the iPod classic, which has way more room and doesn't deal with that silly touchscreen interface.

Guest Smues

Seems odd that they ditched the 160gb model. I was expecting an even bigger one, and instead they now top out at 120? Wierd. Glad I got mine when I did I guess.

I'm not surprised. But I am glad that they bumped the capacity and battery life up. Colors would've been nice too. I like the classic the best out of all of them just because it's the least amount of bullshit. It's pretty good for the price, really.

HA! Oh man. I'm so glad I've waited so long to buy a freaking iPod. I ALMOST got one for my birthday two weeks ago, but decided to wait until Christmas. I would've gotten gipped out of 40GB more for the same price! Which is better than a couple years ago when I was first looking at iPods and wanted one, and the $249 version was like, 40GB.

It was 30 gigs, and I bought it. I'm definately considering getting the new gig Classic, especially since my current iPod doesn't have nearly enough room anymore.

Yeah I'm definitely getting the classic when I start working and have enough money for it. But looks like I'll just be getting the shuffle for now.

I have to say... the Genius add-on sucks. For my non-purchased music, it doesn't recognize any song and never can make a playlist.

Shake to shuffle on the Nano looks fun though... I can see myself just shaking the hell out of the thing just to see what song will come next.

Also of the good, NBC and Apple came to terms for putting their shows back on iTunes. I don't know how many of you watch shows/movies on your iPods, but I do on occasion, and since I don't get NBC, it will be the only way for me to watch Knight Rider, Heroes, and several other shows.

Plus you can download Battlestar Galactica in HD. Fucking sweet.

I don't think I should start a new topic for this.. but does anybody know of any decent sites/torrent sites that you can download ipod optimized (that is, fit 100% perfectly on the size of an ipod screen) videos and stuff?

All I can find so far is 'podtropolis'.

Guest Smues

I am getting so sick of Apple & AT&T. Why in the fuck can I still not get an Iphone without a 2 year contract? I waited in line at the at&t store for 30 minutes just to find out they still don't offer it contractless. Fucking hell. I did the math, and I would spend more money paying for the undiscounted phone than buying the phone discounted and paying for 2 years of service.

Discounted phone $300, plus 24 months at $15 increased per month (I already have medianet at $15 per month, so the Iphone service would only be $15 more per month, not $30) which totals $660 in money I would not spend if I did not get the Iphone.

Full price phone at $700, totals $700 in money i would not spend if I did not get the Iphone, or $40 right off the bat, and then they get another $15 extra per month I have the service.

So FUCK Steve Jobs and FUCK whoever runs AT&T.

I don't want a damned service contract. I've been month to month wth AT&T for 6 years, and that's not going to change.

Question: If I buy an Iphone off ebay, are they still going to refuse to give me service without a contract? Or can I just add the 3g service package and be good?

That's tricky. I'm pretty sure it would just be like an unlocked iPhone (ie useable without a contract) but it seems like you're a weird situation. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you the go-ahead 100%. I would think it should work though.

Guest Smues

Yeah I'm a little worried too. I figure I should be able to use it as a phone, but getting full iphone service I'm not sure. So today I'm gonna call at&t and ask around about my options. I've always had 10000000% better service on the phone with at&t/cingular vs. going to the stores.

Guest Smues

So after talking to a rep on the phone it looks like that end a round method won't work. I just don't get why they don't want my money. The really great part is they want you ropped into a contract so you can't leave, but this whole contract only bullshit had me seriously considering leaving and going elsewhere. I've lost a lot of respect for at&t from this whole fiasco, but I'm still gonna stick with them. The lady on the tech support line was really helpful, and it continues to amaze me how helpful/nice the 1-800 number people are compared to their physical locations. So it's at&t tilt for me. 3g away!

Guest Smues

7 years actually, 6 off contract. Because I'm paranoid and I like the freedom to switch or stop if I so choose to. If I get fired tomorrow, I want to be able to stop that large monthly bill for cell service if I can't afford it. Off contract I can stop it at the drop of a hat and all I lose is my roll over minutes. On contract I have to pay some large fee, and I think I read with the Iphone if you cancel before some certain point you actually have to return the phone? FUCK a bunch of that.

I could have saved a lot of money over those 6 years off contract by getting cheap/free phones with a contract, but I took that financial hit in exchange for the freedom of being month to month. I can do that with ANY other phone that works on the AT&T network, so it just frustrates me even further that I can't go month to month with an Iphone.

Also, I do mess around with my rate plan/options from time to time. That's more complicated on a contract, where as off contract when I've changed my plan it's never an issue. It just goes like this:

"Hi, I need to switch to the nationwide roaming plan. I want the XXX minute one that's XXX dollars."

"I have to check and see if you're allowed to switch yet."

"No service contract, I can."

"Let's see, yep it says you can switch."

"Like I said, no goddamned service contract."

Death to mandatory contracts. Hell, when I first moved up here I had to sign a 9-month lease at my apartment, and when it came up I could go month to month but it cost more than another lease. I opted for month to month, because again I'll pay the extra cash for that freedom. And sure enough three months later I moved, which would have cost me a bunch had I been under another lease.

Mel-Gibson---Braveheart-Photograph-C10101922.jpg

FREEDOM!!!