TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

iPhone and iPod

Guest Smues

So anyway I'll stop derailing this thread and just mention again that I hate service contracts and it really is bullshit that there's no way to get the Iphone without one.

Back on topic, I'm kind of sad there was nothing fancy and eye catching in this year's release of Ipods, but happy because that means there is nothing I'll get suckered into buying this year. I already have the 160gb Ipod so the 120gb is of no interest, and I personally didn't care for the nano redesign. And thankfully my wife did not either, because she likes here last gen one better so I don't have to worry about her wanting the new one.

Does anyone here have a touch? They look damn neat but I can't see how you can justify paying that much for them.

huh? $229 is a very good price, if you like that sort of thing. there are a ton of applications for it, even free ones. Video quality on screen is great, internet is by far superior to most other mobile devices, and the UI is still great. Especially the last two points, the internet and the general UI is great. Not to mention the old standby music players.

Guest Vitamin X

No, it's not. It's a castrated iPhone, and what good will video capability do you when you only have 16GB at MOST to work with? I don't even know what kind of dumb sap bought the 8GB versions. The internet only works at wifi spots. Why not pay $20 more and get a real iPod with over 100GB more space and video capability instead?

Either get an iPhone or get an iPod. The two together don't work.

Guest Smues
I was looking at the new Ipods but I realized that I have 300+ songs Ive recorded onto my XM Inno off XM plus Glenn Beck every day and so Id probably never use it.

Back when I had XM the reason I didn't get an Ipod for my mp3 player was it's lack of recording capabilities. And in fact I'm still surprised they don't have that as a feature. I ended up getting a Iaudio x5 and using that to record stuff off my XM. Actually that thing (I still have it somewhere, only problem with it was small screen and the stupid dongle) also had FM radio and could record from that too. It amazes me it's 3 years later after I bought that and the Ipod still lacks any kind of record, or fm radio. Get on it Steve Jobs. That'll get me to upgrade my Ipod.

I don't think I should start a new topic for this.. but does anybody know of any decent sites/torrent sites that you can download ipod optimized (that is, fit 100% perfectly on the size of an ipod screen) videos and stuff?

All I can find so far is 'podtropolis'.

Also:

Anybody have an invite for IPodTVNova.Com?

The site looks awesome.

Slight bump to add to the following question:

Does anybody know where to get some decent (read: not text based) games for my ipod classic?

So, anyone have any old iPods that you haven't thrown away or gotten rid of? Check out http://www.rockbox.org/. It basically adds a new interface to your iPod, which gives you a cooler UI, games and basically more flexibility on your iPod.

You can also hack your iPod and change the firmware on your iPod as well to make it look cooler. I put this one on: http://www.joejoe.org/forum/lofiversion/in...php?t13583.html but there are a lot more out there available if you search around. It's pretty cool if you have an old iPod and are looking to breath new life into it. Afterall, these are pretty powerful little devices that Apple restricts a lot of their usage.

So has anyone here evr downloaded some songs and when you put them on the ipod they would play for maybe 15-30 secs then go to the next song? I have the entire song it just will go to the next song like i pushed the button to.

I don't think I should start a new topic for this.. but does anybody know of any decent sites/torrent sites that you can download ipod optimized (that is, fit 100% perfectly on the size of an ipod screen) videos and stuff?

Also:

The site looks awesome.

Does anybody know where to get some decent (read: not text based) games for my ipod classic?

The Pirate Bay has a video>portables section.

Also:

The site looks awesome.

The Pirate Bay has a video>portables section.

OR, you cn do what I do and download Cucusoft Video converter (or any iPod video converting progrom) off of bit torrent, then rip your dvd's. Depending on how big you want the file to be, movies come out really good.

I'm getting my wife the new 4th gen nano for christmas, any ideas what FM transmitters I can use that are compatible?

Nearly every FM transmitter on the market, if not all, are either 30-pin or 3.5mm. You're laughin.

I have a syncing dilemma.

My brother Chris is in Alberta. His cunt of an ex girlfriend sent his Ipod to me in Ontario instead of to him. Mysteriously, it had nothing on it.

So, I have to load it up with songs before I mail it out to him. He has a library of about 2000 songs on my folks' PC, and about 500 on my laptop - both have Itunes. My folks PC has all his stuff in the library. I have two playlists on my ITunes: One called "Chris"(stuff for him), and the other called "Collins"(stuff for me).

Everything synced from the library on my folks' PC to Chris' Ipod fine. Now when I plug it into my laptop, "Chris' Ipod" pops up under devices. The 'Music' tab shows a sync music checkbox as normal, but the "selected playlists" check list is grey altogether. If I click the 'sync music' tab, I don't have the option of selecting playlists, I get a prompt that reads: "Are you sure you want to sync? All existing songs/playlists on Chris' Ipod will be replaced with songs and playlists from your ITunes library."

Is there an efficient way to get all the songs from my folks' PC, along with my bro's playlist on my laptop, onto his Ipod? Better yet, is there a way I can take everything from my folks' PC (which I already synced to Chris' Ipod) and rip it from the Ipod onto my laptop?

I'm getting my wife the new 4th gen nano for christmas, any ideas what FM transmitters I can use that are compatible?

Nearly every FM transmitter on the market, if not all, are either 30-pin or 3.5mm. You're laughin.

I have no idea what you mean by "you're laughin", or what 30 pin means.

Our car doesn't have a tape deck or any way to hook up the ipod, so from what I've read, an FM transmitter is my only option.

Any suggestions?

Our car doesn't have a tape deck or any way to hook up the ipod, so from what I've read, an FM transmitter is my only option.

Any suggestions?

Fair enough, I could have been clearer.

IPods (with the exception of shuffles and the first gen) have a jack with 30 small pins to connect. Most FM transmitters are designed for Ipods, because they, like the USB cable for your IPod, have 30 pins. Thus, most FM transmitters will work, and you're laughin - by that, I mean you need not search high and low. Nearly any place that sells Ipods or car stuff will have at least a few options. FWIW, the ones that connect via 3.5mm (aka headphone jack) are usually considerably cheaper, albeit with the disadvantage of draining the Ipod's battery during play. Simply plug it in to your Ipod and your cigarette lighter, find a station with dead air, and baby, you got a stew goin.

Any suggestions?

Fair enough, I could have been clearer.

IPods (with the exception of shuffles and the first gen) have a jack with 30 small pins to connect. Most FM transmitters are designed for Ipods, because they, like the USB cable for your IPod, have 30 pins. Thus, most FM transmitters will work, and you're laughin - by that, I mean you need not search high and low. Nearly any place that sells Ipods or car stuff will have at least a few options. FWIW, the ones that connect via 3.5mm (aka headphone jack) are usually considerably cheaper, albeit with the disadvantage of draining the Ipod's battery during play. Simply plug it in to your Ipod and your cigarette lighter, find a station with dead air, and baby, you got a stew goin.

STEW GOIN'? WTF...

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up. I just didn't know which brand would be better than the other. Looks like there's no particular one that really stands out. Thanks again.

I haven't had any luck with the FM transmitters. It will sound ok for a while then get lots of static. Sometimes the only way to get it to work is to hold it near the stereo while driving.

I'm going to spend between $100-$150 for a car stereo with the front hookup for the cable to the Ipod.

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/2007/05/dlo-tra...k-transpod.html

One of the most useful purchases I've made. Usually takes me 45 minutes to get to work, so I just put the iPod on the base and it plays through the radio and charges at the same time. One drawback is it can be unstable and lose contact, but only if it isn't secured properly.

Has anyone invested in the glasses for the video i-pod? They run from $249 to $299 depending on the screen size 50" or 80".

http://www.davidsteele.com/Video-Glasses-iPod-s/24.htm

I played with these at Brookstone. They were ok but I don't think I'd buy them.

Anyone with a touch or iPhone NEEDS to buy Fieldrunners. It's $4.99, which costs more than a typical iPhone game but it's worth every penny. I've dropped about 10 hours on it already and it's the perfect time killer. It's like Defend the Castle but it has multitouch and multiple fields. I can't praise it enough.

I have a syncing dilemma.

My brother Chris is in Alberta. His cunt of an ex girlfriend sent his Ipod to me in Ontario instead of to him. Mysteriously, it had nothing on it.

So, I have to load it up with songs before I mail it out to him. He has a library of about 2000 songs on my folks' PC, and about 500 on my laptop - both have Itunes. My folks PC has all his stuff in the library. I have two playlists on my ITunes: One called "Chris"(stuff for him), and the other called "Collins"(stuff for me).

Everything synced from the library on my folks' PC to Chris' Ipod fine. Now when I plug it into my laptop, "Chris' Ipod" pops up under devices. The 'Music' tab shows a sync music checkbox as normal, but the "selected playlists" check list is grey altogether. If I click the 'sync music' tab, I don't have the option of selecting playlists, I get a prompt that reads: "Are you sure you want to sync? All existing songs/playlists on Chris' Ipod will be replaced with songs and playlists from your ITunes library."

Is there an efficient way to get all the songs from my folks' PC, along with my bro's playlist on my laptop, onto his Ipod? Better yet, is there a way I can take everything from my folks' PC (which I already synced to Chris' Ipod) and rip it from the Ipod onto my laptop?

Change the options on the iPod in iTunes to manage disk manually and then just dump the stuff from your laptop onto his iPod. That's what I did when I loaded up my kid brother's nano.

This might have been asked before but I'll bring it up again:

Is there anyway to take songs directly off an iPod? I tried to do this but it wouldn't let me copy and past anything onto my desktop. I want to backup my music/ clear some space from my iPod and I need a way to export it (rather than delete it.

How long do songs stay in your "Recently Added" playlist on iTunes for? I have almost 200 songs in mine.

It's a smart playlist. You can change the conditions by right-clicking on the playlist, but I think the default is something like 2 weeks.