TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

The TSM Suggestion Box

1. Have a suggestion box thread where people can make suggestions on ways to improve the board, either through changes to the layout, or by suggested enhancements. Agent created and later bumped a thread along these lines, but it eventually degenerated into EHME co-signing something and people making fun of snuffbox. Why don't we give this idea a second chance, but pin the thread to the top of the Site Feedback folder and actually moderate it to keep off-topic stuff from taking things off-course?

2. Respond to all suggestions left in the TSM Suggestion Box Thread. One pervasive criticism of suggestion/criticism threads in the past is that nothing ever happens from them. Even if you pin this, you've got to remain committed to it and actually provide explanations for why things can or cannot be adopted, so that people aren't discouraged from putting their ideas in here.

3. Reward some of your long-time contributors by offering a folder moderator position. If this is already happening, consider this as additional emphasis. To cite a specific example, I think you could definitely consider AndrewTS, who has basically been an informal moderator of the Video Games folder for a couple of years now.

4. Separate the MMA sub-folder into its own folder. Given the traffic and interest within this section of the board, I don't think it would be ridiculous to suggest that it warrants placement on the front page. Just don't put it anywhere near the Wrestling section, lest ye be willing to invoke upon thyself The Great Reckoning.

5. If you decide to undertake suggestion #4, also consider splintering the folders into different categories. Since you've upgraded to a version of IPB that has collapsible categories, you could rearrange the pop culture entertainment folders into more specific categories, such as:

• Athletics: Sports, MMA
  • Entertainment: Movies/TV, Music, Games, Tech, Comics
  • NSFW: LSD, The Chocolate Socket
That way, those who browse from work can just collapse the potentially offensive folders, and other users can collapse other similar folders, if so desired.

6. Either ABORT MISSION on the website or appoint somebody that will actually steer it. The front page hasn't been updated in months, the layout is ghastly and, unless things have taken a remarkable turn since I left the TSM Writers group, there's absolutely nobody willing to quarterback the operation (and, as a result, nobody really committed to working on it). If you're looking for an alternative, you could always start with the IPB Portal and work your way from there.

7. Consider other forms of content for the website. In any retail business, you want a number of different revenue streams to bring in money, so that you don't have all of your eggs in one basket. Presently, you got nothing, but you might consider some other content for the site, other than people writing columns. There are things that many users could find valuable other than opinions - here are a couple of suggestions that I actually suggested for NMB when I was an administrator there:

• Match Database: Create a wrestling match DB that users could search through to find information on matches, shows/PPVs, wrestlers, etc. Obviously a big undertaking, but well worth it, if you could implement the functionality.
  • TSM Wiki: Create a primer for members that could provide information about the forums, the website, and particular members. Give "established posters" the option of writing a segment of their own primer and actually use the site's "history" (okay, at least the inside jokes) to your advantage. Engage somebody like CWM or somebody else who has a disturbing knowledge of The History of TSM to provide input.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

Thread CLOSED!

I jest.

These are good ideas. I'll do 1 & 2 again, but everyone else needs to hold up their end of the bargain.

3 is a maybe. Just because someone posts a lot doesn't mean they should be a moderator, or even that a certain folder needs one. That's not an indictment of anybody, just saying.

4 & 5, I'll eyeball traffic and see what happens.

I wash my hands of 6 and 7. I've never dealt with the main site and I think it's horrible. Just being honest.

For the record, if anyone wants to use this thread for obviously petty complaints, dumb shit, flaming, whatever the hell, your posts will just be deleted out of the thread, so don't bother.

3. Reward some of your long-time contributors by offering a folder moderator position. If this is already happening, consider this as additional emphasis. To cite a specific example, I think you could definitely consider AndrewTS, who has basically been an informal moderator of the Video Games folder for a couple of years now.
Just because someone knows a lot about a certain subject, doesn't make them a Mod. And since Smues did so well as a semi-Mod, he is now a full time one. There will be no more new Mods for a long time. So just take this one out.

4. Separate the MMA sub-folder into its own folder. Given the traffic and interest within this section of the board, I don't think it would be ridiculous to suggest that it warrants placement on the front page. Just don't put it anywhere near the Wrestling section, lest ye be willing to invoke upon thyself The Great Reckoning.

This is a good idea and will be done.

5. If you decide to undertake suggestion #5, also consider splintering the folders into different categories. Since you've upgraded to a version of IPB that has collapsible categories, you could rearrange the pop culture entertainment folders into more specific categories, such as:

Athletics: Sports, MMA

Entertainment: Movies/TV, Music, Games, Tech, Comics

NSFW: LSD, The Chocolate Socket

I don't know about this. Maybe.

MMA is now under Wrestling and wrestling is now called "Wrestling & MMA" for the time being. (Until someone comes up with a better name).

LSD is no under the No Holds Barred NSFW forum, along with CS and Graphics. If people don't like this, it will be switched back. But for now, we have a No Holds Barred NSFW category..

I think the point was to keep MMA away from wrestling.

Also, mods shouldn't be so touchy about flaming. I mean, who cares if someone calls someone an ass or an idiot? Especially if they deserve it

I really don't know, I never go into that thread. I just think it fits better than Pop Culture.

I think it should go below sports, but not in the wrestling section.

I also think the mods should be less trigger happy with the warnings, that's just my suggestion

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

The whole thing about MMA's folder not touching wrestling folders still cracks me up. UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

I like these changes, by the way. And I think I should be considered for a mod spot no matter what Mole says. Would it be feasible to just gt rid of the subfolder designation now that MMA is a full-fledged folder? I don't see the point of not having Food Folder and Buy/Sell/Trade on the index. Not that it matters a LOT, just a little organizational peccadillo of mine. Oh, and the aforementioned BST needs a better name, like "TSM Marketplace" or something.

I was considering offering the split sports folders as a suggestion, as it seems like there are capable moderators for all three of the major sports, but I wasn't sure what to do with "The Rest Of The Sports Folder" in that scenario.

Also, regarding my suggestion for moderator nominations, that was more of an advocacy for AndrewTS, than anything else. The guy hasn't just racked up a post count (which I couldn't care less about), but he's also done a lot to push quality discussion in the folder. Just thought I'd throw his name out there.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

There are four major sports, sir. If we needed a hockey mod, which we really don't, but let's be hypothetical here, I'd give it to CanadianChris. He's a good even-keel fella. Wait, Kahran Ramsus or treble can be a hockey mod. Never mind. Sorry, CC.

I'd back up the idea of having more sub-forum-specific mods. It gives more of a sense of community within the different sections.

Okay, four major sports. (There's a debate to be had about Hockey, but there is a fair amount of activity for hockey in the sports forum, so it could work anyway.)

Still curious how to approach the rest of them, though - a "General Sports" folder?

No, we don't need four sports categories. Al has it covered fine in there. No need to change it.

And once again, no more mods for a while. Stop bringing it up, it won't happen.

I think the point was to keep MMA away from wrestling.

Also, mods shouldn't be so touchy about flaming. I mean, who cares if someone calls someone an ass or an idiot? Especially if they deserve it

We don't deliver that many warnings now. Besides, I'd like to think you can have a discussion without resorting to name calling. We have a separate forum for that if you really feel the urge.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Can we be done with Comments That Don't Warrant a Thread threads? They kind of kill folders. I had to bump two ancient threads just so there could be eight threads in Music, not counting pinned topics.

Would splitting up different sports into their own categories be a little too much? Athletics - Baseball, Basketball, Football.

What about Fighttopia - MMA and Boxing?

While this isn't a bad idea in theory, however, in practice, subdividing broad topics into their own separate subfora tends to kill discussion about them. Remember when the wrasslin' section had an Old School folder, a Japanese folder, Lucha & Indies, etc? They croaked. Sports are sports. Most of us like more than one, so why click around all over the place when there's already, in my opinion, the best community on the board in the Sports folder? I veto this idea.

Also, regarding my suggestion for moderator nominations, that was more of an advocacy for AndrewTS, than anything else. The guy hasn't just racked up a post count (which I couldn't care less about), but he's also done a lot to push quality discussion in the folder. Just thought I'd throw his name out there.

Guy's a fine poster, but there isn't really much need for moderation there. It's not particularly busy to the level of having duplicate threads, or idiotic flamewars or spamming. Besides, I glance around in there enough to where if there's a legit problem, yo I'll solve it.

And yes, I pruned a few posts out of here, so don't pretend that they were anything profound, because dude, c'mon.

"Site feedback is no place to try out new material!"

Barron's still right re: mod's tightassedness towards flaming.

There's my serious suggestion

We don't deliver that many warnings now. Besides, I'd like to think you can have a discussion without resorting to name calling. We have a separate forum for that if you really feel the urge.

But if someone's being a moron, why go into another folder and start another thread just to call them on it? Not every thread should come down to namecalling, but I don't think people should be warned for calling someone an ass. I think we can handle things like that.

Mole's right, keep sports folder as it is.

Also, not every thread in Site Feedback should end up closed. Another suggestion!

Canadian Chris' post after mine was deleted. Weird.

Can we be done with Comments That Don't Warrant a Thread threads? They kind of kill folders. I had to bump two ancient threads just so there could be eight threads in Music, not counting pinned topics.

They don't kill folders, they make them easier to deal with. They are great in WWE, TNA, Video Games, and Movies is starting to get some life. And why does it matter if there are 8 threads in Music? Just let it be.

CTDWAT are a good thing for the site.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

They don't kill folders, they make them easier to deal with. They are great in WWE, TNA, Video Games, and Movies is starting to get some life. And why does it matter if there are 8 threads in Music? Just let it be.

CTDWAT are a good thing for the site.

Well, I disagree, and I don't use the wrestling folders so I'll just take your word for it, but whatever. How can a wrestling one be good? It's gotta be pretty unwieldy by now.