TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

What did you eat today?

Guest Vitamin X

And now I'm currently enjoying some leftover bacon-jalapeno mac and cheese I made yesterday with a PBR at 9AM. Pretty nice, not sure whether I'm going back to bed or not. Winter break is awesome.

I had some tuna sandwiches for lunch today which were kind of unspectacular, but also made some cold-brewed iced coffee overnight and I had my homemade mixed berry soda with dinner tonight (okay it was blue and blackberries, but man this shit is good!).

I realize this post is months old, but tell me about this homemade mixed berry soda.

Guest Vitamin X

Well it was summer (or late summer, rather) at the time, so I got some fresh berries, and basically simmered it over the stove for about 15, then squeezed it out through a cheesecloth, mix with some sugar and lime, and you basically make a syrup there. Serve carbonated water, add some of the syrup, and voila- mixed berry soda.

I think I finished it off in a couple days. It was pretty good.

Guest Vitamin X

breakfast: steak and eggs with a boilermaker to drink (that would be a shot of whiskey and some beer)

lunch: denver sub on an onion roll (scrambled eggs, cheese, bell peppers and onion with chipotle mayo and ham) + orange juice

dinner: my own baked ziti (first time I've ever made it, no recipe necessary either- it had a fuckton of cheddar cheese, sausage, and some chunky veggie tomato sauce along with the usual aromatics) + some cheap red wine from Trader Joe's

Lame lunch. PB sandwich with what seems to be an analogue for Salt and Vinegar chips here in Spain.

Dinner: Nice enchiladas courtesy of my mother-in-law. I will miss some things about Spain when we fly back tomorrow. Like the juices. My god, the juices. Or, "Dios mio!" as they say here. They have no word for "berry" so its called "fruit of the woods". Great combinations here. mmmm.... juice....

Guest Vitamin X

While the rest of my day was filled with fairly boring rice and veggie fare, I took a study break tonight to go out to my favorite 24 hour Mexican joint since the weather's nicer tonight and found that they serve a "cabeza taco".

elpotosino03.JPG

That, my friends, is cow's head. Possibly sesos (aka brains) is what I had, although more likely it was the muscles. I try to be a pretty adventurous guy, so when I see something on a menu I haven't had before, I order it and see if I like it. Most of the time, I'm pleasantly surprised- I've learned to love cow tongue tacos a lot recently because of this. This was no exception- I had a big ol' chile relleno burrito along with this taco and it was a hell of a meal. Had some orange soda to finish it off with.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Looks like head cheese, which if served no-nonsense with onion and parsley as it appears, is wonderful. If you had brains, believe me, you'd know it. They're creamy and have kind of a...vaguely metallic taste. I've had them within hours of the steer's slaughter, and it's not the sort of thing to approach lightly. I'm not a big fan, and wouldn't eat them from any animal with which I'm not familiar. Tongue's magnificent as well. Rural Indiana is a wonderland of organ meats. German farmers everywhere.

Guest Vitamin X
Looks like head cheese, which if served no-nonsense with onion and parsley as it appears, is wonderful. If you had brains, believe me, you'd know it. They're creamy and have kind of a...vaguely metallic taste. I've had them within hours of the steer's slaughter, and it's not the sort of thing to approach lightly. I'm not a big fan, and wouldn't eat them from any animal with which I'm not familiar. Tongue's magnificent as well. Rural Indiana is a wonderland of organ meats. German farmers everywhere.

Yeah that's what I figured- I'm just not all that well versed in all the little parts of the meats that are in an animal's head, aside from tongue (which seriously, for even the less courageous amongst you guys- I'm talkin' to you Curry- is a really delicious meat). The picture above isn't one I took, by the way, just what it looked like. I'm fairly interested in trying eyeball and brain, myself.

I'm lucky that people here in Oregon are notoriously adventurous when it comes to food- lots of restaurants will happily include and serve organ meats in their entrees, and they'll sell well. Tons of farms within an hour's drive of here also help for getting fresh meats. Maybe I should go to one to try the more exotic stuff.

The only way I'll probably eat that is if somebody cooked it for me and lied about what I was eating. I have a mental block with certain types of foods and if I know it's in what I'm eating I'll stop, even if I was previously enjoying the dish.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Guts rule, Curry.

Kidney, Liver, Bone Marrow, Tongue: all wonderful.

Look at it this way, Curry- Will you eat a HOT DOG? Because that wonderful tube of pureed lips and assholes is far more questionable than a slice of tongue.

Besides, a slice of tongue is much better. So is liver and onions, or kidney pie. Bone Marrow, though, that stuff's a motherfucker. Leo, if you haven't had it, getcha some.

Brains and sweetbreads I could take or leave. I don't have any use for tripe, either.

I've never had eyeballs (can't imagine them being good, honestly. Vitreous humor? I'm skeptical.) Nor have I eaten testicles (outside of what's in a hot dog). I figure I have no issue with eating roe, so lamb fries isn't much of a stretch.

Breakfast: Yogurt with granola and berries, soy milk

Lunch: Cheese quesadilla, chips and salsa, soy milk

Dinner: Mushroom & swiss veggie burger, cheddar Sun Chips, soy milk

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Gussied up cheap steaks. Made a pan sauce with a little wine and some plain yogurt and dill. Added chopped kalamata olives and some very thinly sliced raw onion. Kind of a deconstructed gyro.

Fake edit: I ate this on the previous page. Still a good idea!

Guest Vitamin X

Fantastic if not healthy day of eating today.

Breakfast: Grilled Cheese Sandwich with mozzarella, tomato, and bacon, orange juice to drink.

Lunch: Turkey Chili with cornbread on the side + water

Dinner: Braised Rabbit with leeks, parmesan dumplings, and roasted carrots with lots and lots of red wine to drink.

And now I'm enjoying a cup of potato leek soup I made a couple days ago and washing it down with an Anchor Steam Beer (and a piece of rustic bread, also homemade). I'm going to bike this off tomorrow morning when I head to a coffee shop to meet with some friends, but damn. So much good stuff.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, the rabbit was great. I haven't had it before, and it was spectacular... I actually had that at a dinner club thing through knowing a couple chefs I got hooked up with this one chef who used to own a restaurant here and is fairly well-known around the area. She tends to like cooking game a lot (she says pretty much all her meals are either pork or game- she hates chicken and isn't a big fan of beef- and I'm fine with that!) which is pretty awesome.

Rabbit kind of reminded me of an almost beefy texture though, to be honest, but that could just be the braising. Good flavor, though. I should probably try it sometime with the fancy stuff and sauce.