TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BoboBrazil

TNA Has Been Better With Russo

Everyone having a storyline in one hour means no one has a good storyline and the matches, which are supposed to be TNA's hallmark and point of difference to the WWE, end up being exaclty like WWE matches.

The storylines seem good to me. I had stopped watching and just started watching the last couple of weeks. I can already tell what is going on with seratonin, joe vs angle, abyss and mitchell, etc. I like it...

One of Russo's best traits is also one of his flaws as a booker...he does try to do something for everyone, but has no idea how to pace himself in doing so. He's been told he writes too much as it is, and when you have an hour of TV and a roster of 40, you're not going to be able to get all your stories across.

They need to focus on a core of talent (Angle, Joe, LAX, Abyss, Sting, Christian, Daniels, AJ, Rhino...I'm not saying ignore the undercard but let's face it, no one's buying a PPV for Jay Lethal or Chase Stevens, or even someone like Eric Young who is legit over). Focus on the people who can/could actually pop a rating/buyrate for you. Establish those scenarios first and foremost. Worry about secondary feuds like Bobby Roode/Eric Young, etc. after the fact.

I give the man credit for at least having his heart in the right place and wanting to utilize talent, unlike WWE who has gone so far as to piss on the legacy of their own title belts (tag team division, cruiserweights I'm looking at you), but he books on speed, and that's not going to help anyone.

I really think Russo could be good strictly as an idea man, but having someone like Cornette actually write the shows (yes, I realize Cornette and Russo could probably never work together like that). He has good ideas, but his pacing and concept of pro wrestling do not work in 2007, at least for what TNA is trying to do. I do like the fact that he give everyone an angle and a purpose.

Russo has been so 'good' that he ran through Joe vs. Angle in three months, with decreasing interest as the weeks went buy and now neither man is special anymore. To take a real dream feud like Joe vs. Angle and to not only have finished it in just three months but also end up making it completely uninteresting takes talent.

Everyone having a storyline in one hour means no one has a good storyline and the matches, which are supposed to be TNA's hallmark and point of difference to the WWE, end up being exaclty like WWE matches.

Even throwaway matches in WWE last longer than 2 minutes. Well, maybe not in ECW, but on the other two brands they do. Plus, most WWE gimmicks make sense.

Russo has been so 'good' that he ran through Joe vs. Angle in three months, with decreasing interest as the weeks went buy and now neither man is special anymore. To take a real dream feud like Joe vs. Angle and to not only have finished it in just three months but also end up making it completely uninteresting takes talent.

That's something I'll definitely agree with, as it pertains to the whole "booking on speed" aspect of things. Take Heyman's booking of Sabu/Taz from November to Remember 1995 until Barely Legal in early '97 as an example. Heyman built that match up for a full year, and they went that long without even so much as a pull apart brawl. You could have easily had Angle challenge Joe or vice versa upon Angle's arrival, but stretch it out. Plant a seed of doubt in the audience's head. Make them really want to see if Angle could take TNA's biggest star, or if Joe was on Angle's level.

I'm not saying stretch it out that long, but hell, even if you had waited a few months before the tension was too much and they were at each others throats in storyline, it would have served a better purpose than to throw a legit "dream match" on PPV THREE MONTHS IN A ROW.

The storylines seem good to me. I had stopped watching and just started watching the last couple of weeks. I can already tell what is going on with seratonin, joe vs angle, abyss and mitchell, etc. I like it...

Seratonin is a recycled Flock which was a recycled Nest, Abyss and Mitchell is practically "conflicted" Kane and Paul Bearer all over again, and Joe vs. Angle was the aformentioned speed reading version of a great feud.

Now basically, there are only so many angles you can run in wrestling without it being a rehash so you can forgive the Seratonin and Abyss storylines, but to burn through that money feud like that is ridiculous. It's not solely Russo's fault though, it's TNA's.

The feud is still going between Angle and Joe. It is far from over. Can't blame TNA though. You don't know how long Joe or Angle will be with TNA. How would you feel if they built a feud for a year then one guy jumped to WWE before they even had the match...

Guest Princess Leena

Exactly. Who knows how many matches Angle has left. And as TNA continues to grow, the non-smarks will drag down Joe's popularity. Strike the iron while it's hot.

How would you feel if they built a feud for a year then one guy jumped to WWE before they even had the match...

Surprised, given that both would still have been under contract after that year was up. Even if you buy the argument that they had to get to the feud right away, for whatever reason, there were far better ways to do it that wouldn't have wound up doing less and less business each time out and turned both guys from being something special into being just two more guys on the roster.

They didn't have to do Angle/Joe over a year, but they could have easily stretched it for six months or so. Even that was too much, apparently.

Dead on here. TNA now is like ECW when they were on Spike before they died.

One of Russo's best traits is also one of his flaws as a booker...he does try to do something for everyone, but has no idea how to pace himself in doing so. He's been told he writes too much as it is, and when you have an hour of TV and a roster of 40, you're not going to be able to get all your stories across.

They need to focus on a core of talent (Angle, Joe, LAX, Abyss, Sting, Christian, Daniels, AJ, Rhino...I'm not saying ignore the undercard but let's face it, no one's buying a PPV for Jay Lethal or Chase Stevens, or even someone like Eric Young who is legit over). Focus on the people who can/could actually pop a rating/buyrate for you. Establish those scenarios first and foremost. Worry about secondary feuds like Bobby Roode/Eric Young, etc. after the fact.

I give the man credit for at least having his heart in the right place and wanting to utilize talent, unlike WWE who has gone so far as to piss on the legacy of their own title belts (tag team division, cruiserweights I'm looking at you), but he books on speed, and that's not going to help anyone.

Agree 100%

"oh my god dude, did you hear that Jay Lethal will be on the pay-per-view this Sunday?"

"Hell yeah I did! Why do you think I ordered it!"

Awesome.

And RayCo touches 'em all at TSM.

EDIT: Instead of a pointless flame post, I ask you to justify your stance, especially in light of the most recent batch of spoilers.

Come on, enough with the WWE-lite material do something different for once! Its bad enough that they had the DX b team run around the country trying to do comedy. It was bad enough they had those damn Dudley Boys play soldier for a day. Its bad enough they had Rhyno "burn" the championship belts he won at the bingo hall. Did they really need to further the storyline of Abyss being nothing but a second rate Kane/Mankind clone? I was just getting to like the character as the freak hardcore monster then I read the spoilers for the next 2 weeks and it gonna its gonna its gonna make ME PUKE!!!!!

I agree with the original topic starter. I don't think I've missed an ep of Impact since Russo took over as head of creative. The majority of the programs have been fast paced, interesting, and fun since Russo returned. Yeah, the shows can be too fast paced sometimes, but I can't fault Russo for trying to put together a product that attempts to be non stop entertainment/action for an hour. Besides, this is pro wrestling were talking about here. If this kind of stuff moves too quickly for you, then maybe you should go and watch chess. Or better yet, any of The WWE's fine programs.

they should keep Russo away from the ppvs. I dont think people are happy to pay 30 bucks to see someone pull the tights or hold the ropes. You can see that on Raw all the time. And if you have 8 matches, having 7 of them be a gimmick match isnt adding any more buys per match. So why use them all up? It seems like the division between Russo lovers and haters is one side wants to see all the action they can and the other side is concerned about the long term impact on the company.

I like what Russo has done with several wrestlers. Abyss isn't just a big dude in a mask, he has turned into a demented scary monster. AJ, Sabin, Dutt etc aren't a bunch of generic wrestlers anymore. I like the new bigot, asshole James Storm. Also Sting has got some story going instead of a legend wrestling whomever he wants to wrestle at the next PPV. It seems like Shelley and Starr are FINALLY getting a push. He has turned the VKM from two old guys getting no reactions to having their own chants at WWE shows. The only thing I don't like about his reign is the decrease in match times but hopefully it will improve.

TNA is so bad that it's great... reminds me of WCW right before it's death... it was pure shit that had potential, but would never have a chance because of the booking... and somehow I just can't stop watching.

Has Impact been more "better" entertainment since Russo? Yes. Has it been "better" wrestling wise? No. Has it been "better" overall? I don't think so. It's not building longterm, it's all hotshotting. Take his writing and slow it the fuck down, and then yes, that could be great. But this writing two hours for one bullshit needs to be stopped.

Ratings are on an upswing thanks to the new booking...

Shame you can't say the same thing about PPV buys, which is where the money is made.

If they are not watching the t.v. shows, then how are they going to be tempted to purchase The PPV's? With the exception of WrestleMania and possibly The Royal Rumble, few purchase PPV's based on name value alone anymore.

Well, if people actually are watching Impact and are not being adequately tempted to buy the ppvs, then you can't logically conclude the shows are doing their jobs. That would make the shows "not good" in a business sense.

Ratings are on an upswing thanks to the new booking...

Shame you can't say the same thing about PPV buys, which is where the money is made.

If they are not watching the t.v. shows, then how are they going to be tempted to purchase The PPV's? With the exception of WrestleMania and possibly The Royal Rumble, few purchase PPV's based on name value alone anymore.

It's not like HTQ is arguing that Russo should be aiming for BAD ratings. It's just that ratings are not everything, which is something that Russo has never quite grasped.