TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

Eddie Murphy

Think he'll be nominated for...and win...the Oscar?

It wouldn't be the first time an actor has won an Oscar and then went on to do a bunch of shitty movies.

takes two steps forward (Dreamgirls) and a hundred steps back:

419px-Norbit.jpg

"Look, kids, a falling star! Quick, make a wish!" - David Spade

More proof that Eddie sold his soul around 1997 when he made his comeback.

If his career had ended after Coming To America around 1989, he'd have been remembered as an all-time great in comedy.

People would have overlooked the horrid Best Defense and underwhelming Golden Child and talked up Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, Trading Places, 48 Hours, and Coming To America.

The catchphrase for the movie is probably what he's thinking knowing he's likely to get nominated for an Oscar. Cause really, I doubt he wants the voters thinking about NORBIT as they are deciding whether he wins it or not.

Well....Eddie Murphy playing multiple characters in a movie has always been kickass to me so I will see this.

And yeah, eddie has done some shitty movies like Holy Man, Haunted Mansion and shit like that, but I will be damned if anyone calls Golden Child a bad movie.

And Metro, Distinguished Gentlemen, Vampire in Brooklyn, I Spy and Boomerang were all severely underrated.

And if you saw what they paid him to do Pluto Nash, you would have told him to do Pluto Nash. Didn't he get like 20 million for that.

People can bitch about the doolittle movies and the Klumps (I actually like the Klumps and Nutty Professor) but they made a shit load of money.

I forgot to add Life and Showtime as pretty underrated Eddie Murphy movies.

Honestly I think the whole "Eddie's career is over" thing is the most overrated thing ever. Yeah, when he bombs he FUCKING BOMBS, but in between all the bad there is a huge hit. So for every Beverly Hills Cops III or Harlem Nights(I have come to fully accept that this move blew) there was a blockbuster. So I don't think he ever actually fell off Stallone style.

Well....Eddie Murphy playing multiple characters in a movie has always been kickass to me so I will see this.

And yeah, eddie has done some shitty movies like Holy Man, Haunted Mansion and shit like that, but I will be damned if anyone calls Golden Child a bad movie.

And Metro, Distinguished Gentlemen, Vampire in Brooklyn, I Spy and Boomerang were all severely underrated.

And if you saw what they paid him to do Pluto Nash, you would have told him to do Pluto Nash. Didn't he get like 20 million for that.

People can bitch about the doolittle movies and the Klumps (I actually like the Klumps and Nutty Professor) but they made a shit load of money.

IMDB says 20 mil for Pluto Nash. For reference, Shrek & Shrek 2 combined to pay him only 13 mil.

I've actually seen the pre-view a few times, and it doesn't really look to bad. I shall see it.

I said Golden Child was "underwhelming", not "bad".

I said that Best Defense was friggin' HORRIBLE.

Metro sucked and Vampire In Brooklyn sucked for the most part. (Vampire was good when Eddie was playing a minor character, like the preacher or the stick-up guy)

Life was good to watch once, but it grates on you after a while because it's a sob-story with a few comic bits tossed in. (The bits with Can't-Talk-Right and the warden's daughter were great, but most of the Eddie and Martin bits sucked.)

Distinguished Gentleman is one that I like a lot, but it suffers from some clunky plot devices in the last reel or two.

I haven't seen I Spy, so I can't judge it.

My main point is that he made his comeback in Nutty Professor and he's done a few OK movies since then, but most of them have sucked.

Holy Man, Pluto Nash, Dr. Dolittle, Dr. Dolittle 2, and Haunted Mansion were the low points of his post-Professor career.

The sole high-point of the *LIVE ACTION* portion was Bowfinger, which was made by his performance as Jiff, NOT as his main role as Kit.

The biggest high-points were probably his voice performances in Mulan, Shrek, and Shrek 2, but those are in a different category from his live-action stuff.

I kinda liked Harlem Nights. If only for the fight between Eddie and Della Reese.

And it had Richard Pryor.

The two highlights of Harlem Nights were the Eddie-Della fight ("You shot my pinkie toe, Quick!") and the bit with Arsenio and his gang chasing Eddie, whom he though had killed his brother. ("You made me shoot my boy in the back of the head, Quick!"

The rest of that movie was pretty underwhelming given the cast in it(Eddie, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, Della Reese, Danny Aiello, Arsenio Hall, Damon Wayans, and others).

The story of Jack Sprat never stops getting retold.

Why is it that we don't find the concept of a skinny chick and a fat guy so enthralling?

I want to know how long has this gem been sitting on the shelf?

A while. Because I saw the trailer or something like that for this, months ago.

And yes, I'm serious when I say I'm on the 'It doesn't look that bad' list. Because...well, it really doesn't.

The main problem with 'Vampire in Brooklyn' seemed to be genre confusion. It was just all over the place. Comedy, horror, romance; it could never decide what it wanted to be. I fondly remember the film from childhood, and still own it on VHS. I haven't watched it in a while. Best not to break the nostalgia.

I think Eddie Murphy is prejudice against fat people. Even still I will not go see Norbit.

Personally, "Bowfinger" was the last Eddie Murphy comedy that I liked.

I wouldn't call Bowfinger an "Eddie Murphy Movie". That was more of the Martin/Murphy pairing...or if you want to count Baranski, Graham, etc. maybe an ensemble cast?

My main point of adding to this thread is to state that Metro is an awesome movie. It's one of my favorite movies, period.

I've went to see a lot of Eddie's movies where he is playing multiple characters. But nothing about the previews for this film have looked appealing at all. It just looks extremely bad. Not Pluto Nash bad, but bad.

And Doctor Dolittle wasn't so bad. The sequel, yeah that was bad.

I didn't think Metro was that bad, nor did I find Showtime or I Spy to be bad films.

The last Eddie Murphy movies I enjoyed were Bowfinger and his first Nutty Professor.

Ditto. I was laughing so hard in the dinner scene in Nutty Professor that I thought I was about to die.

I don't understand how people can't like Metro. In my mind I just change the main characters name to Axel, Michael Rappaports character to Billy Rosewood, Art Evans' character is John Taggart and thats my own Beverly Hills Cop III (because I refuse to acknowledge the actual one)

It was one kickass action movie.

I don't care what people say about Eddie Murphy, I still love him. I'll probably go see this, it doesn't look as bad as some of the other shitty comedies i've seen out.

I think the thing about Eddie Murphy and the shit movies he made (especially all the kids ones like Haunted Mansion & the Dr. Doolittles) were because he had a wife and kid and so only did kids movies instead of his edgy style of the 80s-mid 90's. Since he got divorced (and remarried....and possibly re-divorced) he's moved back to doing more than kids movies.

Eddie Murphy did 'Delirious', for that he should always be respected. We're talking about arguably the greatest stand up routine of all time. Somebody in here actually said that 'Eddie could of been a comedy legend' What are you smoking? Eddie IS a comedy legend just based on his 80's work alone. Not only was he a beast in the 80's, his work heavily influenced guys like Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, and Dave Chappelle.

I also think Eddie's career falling off is severly overrated. Shrek, Shrek 2, and Dreamgirls are all a huge success. Bowfinger and Life were both pretty damn good movies. His children movies are usually horrible, but they do make alot of money. He's had a great career overall.

But anybody questioning Eddie, all you need to do is watch 48 hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, Coming to America. Those 4 movies really put him on a level higher than most guys. He basically introduced the 'smartass' hero character.