TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

American Idol

Guest Queen Leelee

Why is Gwen wearing so much clothes. Boo. And this song is obviously terrible.

Please eliminate the boring one.

Guest Queen Leelee

Grar... not a shock since Chris was quite awful this week, but damnit, everyone interesting is being knocked out...

Guest Queen Leelee

Bullshit.

Sanjaya is the last shining star this season. Let him have his insane fun. He has no shot of winning once the field shrinks, so poo to you.

I agree, Sanjaya is the greatest thing to happen to this show. His haircuts, the song choices, all the controversy, hunger strikes (lmao), the whole thing is just so over the top in entertainment. The show is just as much entertainment as competition (otherwise, we'd never get the bullshit move where crappy singers are let on just to ridicule them).

This elimination was less about Sanjaya sticking around and more about the wrath of TPTB being wrought upon Chris Sligh. The theme for this week was always vague, starting with Gwen Stefani week which nobody wanted and then being switched to the more acceptable "alternative week." But then the chosen one, Melinda, wouldn't nail an Alternative theme as well as she could, and you can't stretch that to include her kind of song as well. And then Sligh gives VFTW an on-air shoutout, and he'd do great in Alternative week. After that, the theme changes to pop, then to 90's, then to the really vague and manipulatable "songs that inspired Gwen Stefani" which means who knows what, but they can include stuff that Sligh might stumble on and stuff that Melinda would nail (cause, you know, Donna Summers' influence is all over the No Doubt albums). Which is why the judges jumped all over Sligh's one moment of being off-tempo. Sligh pissed the producers off, now he's gone.

It's not just Melinda but also LaKisha that they are bending over backwards to keep from looking like fools. Last night wasn't as odd since it's at least possible that Gwen Stefani likes Donna Summer, but I was more angered at them doing Shirley Bassey on British Invasion week. How the hell is Shirley Bassey remotely British Invasion aside from her technically being from Wales?

On that note I'm starting to think Jordin might last the longest of the 3 black chicks remaining. At some point Melinda and LaKisha will end up having to do something that they will suck at and end up looking terrible. Jordin can at least shift into various genres, although she's not amazing at any of them.

The Gina/C. Sligh moment of tension was hilarious. It was obviously Chris who was in the bottom 3. We have a girl who did one of the best efforts of the previous show vs. a guy who tanked on The Police.

Guest Queen Leelee

Melinda can't fuck up anything.

LaKisha's weakness was shown this week. Take her away from any strong songs with constant power notes and she's not that great. With how LaKisha looks, she needs to belt out shit.

Guest Queen Leelee

Since I finally watched this week, I'll do some ratings:

1) Melinda. (Still, and forever will be the best singer. Only negative, if you can call it one, is that it gets boring knowing she's the best vocal every week, and not much else. But, with this field, I don't see anyone surpassing her.)

GAP

2) LaKisha. (Her weakness really showed this week. If she's not singing powerful songs filled with LOUD, high notes... she's not great. And with how hideous and lifeless she is on stage, she can't get away with that when we get to the 4-6 range.)

3) Blake. (The judges really pimped him this week. He smartly shut down the beatbox gimmick this week, and sang almost exactly like the regular version. But, the stupid judges still played up the "originality" stuff. I just doubt his vocals are good enough.)

4) Jordin. (She's the sleeper to win this whole thing, because she has what Melinda and LaKisha lack. She's a great performer, and pulls off her look very well. This week was pointless with about the worst song selection one could make, but whatever. Jordin needs to stay far away from any low notes.)

GAP TO PEOPLE WITH NO CHANCE

5) Gina. (Was about as good as she could be this week with Stand by You, but her vocal ability gets squashed by the top girls. She needs to play her poser role and get all freaky to stand out.)

6) Phil. (Actually good this week, as he copied that song incredibly well. Decent voice, but he's dull. And when he's not boring, it's because he chooses some terrible song that makes him even more creepy than his ghastly looks give him.)

7) Haley. (Zzzzz. I don't mean to hate. She's kinda cute. And a passable singer. But, like, she sounds like your average decent college girl singer. And she's far from gorgeous. STOP TRYING TO BE FUCKING KAT PEE. I know you have zero personality, but copy someone else. Like Queen Brenna, now that could possibly be entertaining.)

8) Timberfake. (I hate him. The positive is that he's not improving at all, and Lord Sanjaya is stealing the teenie vote. He just can't sing. He's all nasally and shitty.

9) Lord Sanjaya. (He was boring when he was trying and stuff... now it's obvious that he knows it's a joke he's lasted this long and he's having fun with it. And the strange thing is that it's made him a lot better. His stage presence is miles better the last 2 weeks. Still sings like a pussy, but that's because he probably can't do much more yet. Keep up the insanity!)

no...I can't stand Sanjaya, he doesn't entertain me in the least...whether he looks like a rooster, Anakin Skywalker or whatever he does with his hair, he does not entertain me whatsoever...I'm tired of him hogging up airtime, I'm tired of fat white kids crying over him, no no no. Fuck him and the elephant he rode in on.

Maybe she can fuck something up, maybe she can't. But she definately could've been out-shone in an Alternative theme.

With Alternative, she's basically stuck with Sarah McLachlan. She'd do it good, but it's probably not ideal.

Melinda might be technically competent on just about any song, but it would be really odd hearing her do anything out of her safety zone. Until she's forced to do something else, it's hard to say.

As long as Sanjaya doesn't actually win this thing, I have no real problem with him being there. It seems like every week he does his consistent--albeit crappy--performance. I don't think he's forgotten the words like that Brandon dude, nor has he been so blatantly off his game like Sligh the other night. It seems like each week there is someone who fucks up worse than Sanjaya.

I would be only slightly surprised if Sanjaya makes the final two. I think people just vote for him due to that crappy hunger strike bullshit. Which, if people actually believe is real, then more power to 'em. The girl would most likely be dead by now.

Melinda might be technically competent on just about any song, but it would be really odd hearing her do anything out of her safety zone. Until she's forced to do something else, it's hard to say.

Standards is probably a half step out of her comfort zone. I don't know that Tony Bennett sang a Billie Holiday song, but if he did, you know she's all over it.

As long as Sanjaya doesn't actually win this thing, I have no real problem with him being there. It seems like every week he does his consistent--albeit crappy--performance. I don't think he's forgotten the words like that Brandon dude, nor has he been so blatantly off his game like Sligh the other night. It seems like each week there is someone who fucks up worse than Sanjaya.

His "Bathwater" reminded me of Cartman singing "Oh Holy Night". There was mumbling there. But I'm in agreement. It seems that there's been someone who's gone further than they were supposed to. But in the last few seasons someone has gone further, and has quite obviously blew. Savol, Ace (probably in more ways than one) and now Sanjaya (also probably in more ways than one).

I still can't buy Melinda to win this thing for the real purpose of this show. Which is why I'm convinced Blake or Jordin win here. Blake has that type of style that can play well with good production (most of which, he'll try to do himself) and Jordin, unlike her direct challengers and as Leena said looks her part and can perform. LaKisha has a big weakness and we can tell Melinda will struggle outside of her zone (which they have avoided doing so, thus far). Gina is a dark horse but I don't think she can hang around enough. It doesn't really matter. This season's winner will follow the path of Ruben, Clay and Fantasia. Modest success thanks to the exposure but won't be in that elite echelon as Kelly, Carrie and Daughtery (we haven't seen where Taylor will end up but considering it's been a year since he won and he's done is that Ford commerical, I think we can shelve him below Ruben and Fantastia as far as the winners go.) The story of this season has and will be Sanjaya whom I think will probably survive as long as Phil, Haley and Chris R phone in generic and ho-hum performences. He's a virtual lock for top five. Some say it's bad for A.I but let's face it, it's not hurting them at all.

The only reason I can think of in regards to Melinda not winning the entire season is her consistency. People could get accustomed to her performances and sorta become numbed to it; where -if taken alone- a song she sings could be outstanding, but on a week-by-week basis, the sense of "awe" so-to-speak, won't be there and it could become sameold/sameold.. So there will be no sense of urgency/importance for her "fans" to vote for her, because they know she was the best and will get the votes, and that sense of security could do her in.

There could also be the pro-factor. She is, infact, too good and too polished for idol. The audience wants to create stars, to find the hidden gem, and Melinda is not nearly rough-around-the-edges enough to give that sense of worth to the audience. At the start of the season, it was like "heres a girl who didn't know how good she was and is finding herself on idol", but now it's becoming more clear that she is like a ringer and does know how good she is.

But this all would be an extraordinary case, and is as unlikely as the others out-singing her.

The only reason I can think of in regards to Melinda not winning the entire season is her consistency. People could get accustomed to her performances and sorta become numbed to it; where -if taken alone- a song she sings could be outstanding, but on a week-by-week basis, the sense of "awe" so-to-speak, won't be there and it could become sameold/sameold.. So there will be no sense of urgency/importance for her "fans" to vote for her, because they know she was the best and will get the votes, and that sense of security could do her in.

There could also be the pro-factor. She is, infact, too good and too polished for idol. The audience wants to create stars, to find the hidden gem, and Melinda is not nearly rough-around-the-edges enough to give that sense of worth to the audience. At the start of the season, it was like "heres a girl who didn't know how good she was and is finding herself on idol", but now it's becoming more clear that she is like a ringer and does know how good she is.

But this all would be an extraordinary case, and is as unlikely as the others out-singing her.

That's basically the "Daughtry Zone", isn't it?

As for Fantasia, as Lushus notes, she was never going to sell well in pop music, but was still probably the right choice for winner (Hudson was still too raw back then). That whole third season was a mulligan as far as creating a pop singer was concerned. The singers that could've been pop stars simply weren't all that good. Imagine Pen Guy as American Idol. Yikes.

Guest Queen Leelee

Daughtry was never too good for Idol... but, he was similar in that they really couldn't improve much, and stuck to the same type of singing every week. Melinda will not be exposed.

Also, next week's theme is Tony Bennett. So, if you want to week to skip, this would be it. Not that Tony Bennett is bad, but all his songs are slow. I can't wait until Randy complains that the contestants sound too "old", and "pitchy".