TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CubbyBr

TNA news from pwinsider

- Mike Johnson reports that there are currently heavy negotiations on going between Spike TV and TNA for a number of reasons including the possibility of a 2 hour primetime special on Monday Februrary 12th when Raw is pre-empted for the dog show. If the show does happen it will most likely be an introduction type show of sorts for fans who have yet to see the TNA product.

- Johnson reports as well that Scott Steiner has signed a new long term deal with TNA and should be back on TV very soon. The plan is for a Steiner/Angle feud sometime in 2007.

- Lastly, Johnson reports that TNA is still trying very hard to sign Chris Jericho who has shown some intrest in the company as of late.

An Introduction to TNA type show is a good idea, in theory. The problem is that instead of taking the time to introduce just they key players in TNA, you'll probably get a rush job as they try to fit everyone on the roster into the show, and nothing will get any time to sink in.

I would have high hopes for an Angle/Steiner feud, but after the way Joe/Angle was handled I just can't see it doing as well as it could.

At this point, I'd rather Jericho just stay at home for now. He can't do anything new in WWE, and if he goes to TNA now he'll go from something special to just another wrestler in record time.

Jericho isn't stupid. They'd have to throw him A LOT of money to get him in. Just think, the longer a former main eventer like him is away from WWE, the more money Vince will probably throw at him when he wants him back. If he goes to TNA, he'll be risking that. Knowing Russo, he could probably kill fans interest in The Rock if they brought him in.

TNA could use someone like Jericho. If used properly, he could have a positive influence for TNA. They'll need to do an awesome introduction though, because his intro to the WWF was perfect.

And jesus christ, Steiner vs. Angle? I'm betting on a couple legit fights between the two.

TNA did a great job making people give a shit about Steiner the last time he was in. So if he is there long term and willing to work hard like he was, I think it is entirely possible that it could end up being a fun feud. Good matches? Doubtful. Fun feud? Sure.

If TNA could get Jericho by Feb. 12th and get that 2 hour special....that would be awesome....wait no....no, Vince Russo is the head writer.

TNA did a great job making people give a shit about Steiner the last time he was in. So if he is there long term and willing to work hard like he was, I think it is entirely possible that it could end up being a fun feud. Good matches? Doubtful. Fun feud? Sure.

Steiner can still make money for a company if you just let the man be the heel that he naturally is.

I think that Angle/Steiner could work.

Both of them are believable ass kickers...

And Steiner was REALLY good in his previous role.

Dude never won...but people always bought him as a threat.

Joe made Steiner's last run really good. And a run with Angle is interesting.

I just think Russo is too fucking clueless to book a good monster program. He completely ruined Angle/Joe.

Coulda made better? Sure. Completely ruined? Absolutely not.

I just think Russo is too fucking clueless to book a good monster program. He completely ruined Angle/Joe.

Coulda made better? Sure. Completely ruined? Absolutely not.

Russo took a feud with incredible potential, that could have put TNA on that map, and not only did he rush through it in three months, and not only did it get diminishing returns each time out, but by the time it was over both guys had been turned from something special into just two more guys on the rosters who meant a whole lot less when the feud was over than when it began. That fits any reasonable definition of "completely ruined".

Angle/Steiner? That would totally suck...a waste of time really..

Who wants to see a pair of slow roided heavyweights use 30 second waistlocks or minute long headlocks? Roulon Gardner vs Yoshida this is not.

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this but I believe Joe/Angle wasn't as good as it could be because Joe isn't as believable as Angle is. Steiner/Angle will be better than Angle/Joe only because Steiner is a lot more believable badass than Joe is. THe matches certainly won't be better but the feud itself, the mixing of Angle/Steiner's personality, will be better.

After being disgusted on how piss poor the match was the fans will have nothing but bad thoughts about the company and never buy anything remotely associated with said company. Building up expectations of what is going to happen via interviews, promos, break-away- brawls then producing a match that will barely go a couple of minutes with the cliche overbooked finish isn't going to send the fans happy or keep whatever new fans that payed $29.95 for the match. Buyrates, ratings, etc. will go down the following months until it is just another victim to Russo's booking....The Rise and Fall of Shit on a Pole matches.

Not to get Russo off the hook for the Joe/Angle management, but nobody really knew how "good" Angle's condition was upon signing with TNA (as we all know, Angle would either lie about his condition so he could wrestle, or go doctor to doctor until he found one to clear him).

No matter how bad the Joe/Angle matches have been (or could have been), it's still miles better than spending 3-4 months hyping the first in-ring confrontation between them and...having his neck problems act up. In that case, Angle's done, career over, you spent however much money to bring in Angle, hyped the hell out of him for one match and then....didn't deliver the match in any way, shape or form. Rushing into a sub-par match is better than hyping it as the greatest thing of all time and then not delivering.

Now Angle moves on to a new feud, and yet the door's still open six months to a year from now for Angle and Joe to feud once more if Angle's condition holds up.

What are they going to do hype up the NCAA careers of Steiner and Angle then deliver Olympic Medal on a Pole match as the payoff? Rehashing the whole "stealing the medal and hiding it in the pants" angle again?

Not to get Russo off the hook for the Joe/Angle management, but nobody really knew how "good" Angle's condition was upon signing with TNA (as we all know, Angle would either lie about his condition so he could wrestle, or go doctor to doctor until he found one to clear him).

No matter how bad the Joe/Angle matches have been (or could have been), it's still miles better than spending 3-4 months hyping the first in-ring confrontation between them and...having his neck problems act up. In that case, Angle's done, career over, you spent however much money to bring in Angle, hyped the hell out of him for one match and then....didn't deliver the match in any way, shape or form. Rushing into a sub-par match is better than hyping it as the greatest thing of all time and then not delivering.

Now Angle moves on to a new feud, and yet the door's still open six months to a year from now for Angle and Joe to feud once more if Angle's condition holds up.

This building scenerio happens, means Angle is working throw away matches against lower opponents not going more than 10 minutes (in this same sane booking fantasy world). Even if said "neck problems" or anything else injury wise occurs before the Joe/Angle 3-4 month payoff, it means nothing. Angle worked Wrestlemania 19 in a clearer state of mind with most likely much more of a risk than anything that happens in this 3-4 month plan; meaning Angle in his current state of mind works the first Joe match no question.

For fuck's sake, if you want to rush the rematch fine but save the rubber for down the line. An average feud is what it was, but it could have been SO much more for both wrestlers and for TNA. Thanks Russo, maybe, but is he really in charge of the book as much as he is writing? Writing usually focuses around the book. not vice versa.

I've got no problem with Joe-Angle I happening right away. I don't have a problem with II following immediately. But the problem came when III was the very next month. The winner of II should have gone on to win the belt, loser of II has some feuds while the winner's defending. Then, several months later, have an epic rematch in match #3, with the title on the line.

I dont get what's the point of waiting for Raw to be replaced one week with a dogshow.

I think alot of fans who are sick of the same Raw will tune into to anything new for just a taste; if they went head to head for even just a halfhour, or maybe try from 8-9pm they'd be surprised by how many people would tune in, because it's a traditional wrestling night for over 10 years and there's less competition on tv than on Thursdays.

If the show was like the last 2 hour special I dont think any progress would be made. But just being on Monday and having people aware of it is a huge chance to steal viewers, while their regular timeslot is made up of regular viewers and people who jus happen to remember that it's on.

Waiting for the dogshow seems kinda cheap. If they try it on a weak show night, after the Rumble and before Wrestlemania, I think it would make them look more big-league