TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 67: All or Nothing

Main Event for the UFC Middleweight Championship

Anderson Silva (Champion) vs Travis Lutter (Challenger)

Main Card

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman

Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic vs Eddie Sanchez

Melvin "The Young Assasain" Guillard vs Dustin Hazelett

Scott Smith vs Patrick Cote (likely the swing bout)

Undercard

Jorge "El Conquistador" Rivera vs Terry Martin

Tyson Griffin vs Frank Edgar

Lyoto Machida vs Sam Hoger

Roger Huerta vs John Alverston

It really sucks that GSP got injured as it took a lot of hype away from this show. I still think it'll be a good card as we've got 3 LW fights, the debuts of Mirko and Quinton and what should be a grimy slugfest in Cote/Smith. The only question mark on the show is actually the main event. I'm sure this was going to be the co-main with GSP/Serra on top while the fight was still on and now the UFC is faced with a dangerous fight. Anderson Silva is defending his title for the very first time against the worst kind of opponent, one who is steady and consistent but also content to ride out a decison victory. Lutter chin hasn't been tested and that isn't because he's faced strikers before but because he knows his strengths and plays to them. The story on Silva/Lutter is a fairly simple sell: Anderson wants to knock Travis out, Travis wants to tap Anderson out. There's a huge amount of pressure on both guys to perform now that they're in the main event and it'll be interesting to see how they both fare.

It'll be an interesting fight. Lutter has no chance against Silva if it stays standing, but Silva might have a tough time defending takedowns and Lutter's world class on the ground. I'm saying Silva knocks him out, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Lutter get the fight to the ground and sneak away with the MW title either by a submission or decision.

Main Card

Well, it'll be fun to see Rampage avenge a loss and Eastman should at least be competitive.

Eddie Sanchez gets to play the 'undefeated sacrificial lamb' role, but the best that he can hope for is that he doesn't get knocked out in under a minute.

Undercard

I hope this fight makes it onto the show. I really, really wanna see Machida fight.

Roger Huerta vs John Alverston

I don't think there's a blowaway fight on the card, but there's still a few fights that I'm really looking forward to seeing.

It'll be an interesting fight. Lutter has no chance against Silva if it stays standing, but Silva might have a tough time defending takedowns and Lutter's world class on the ground. I'm saying Silva knocks him out, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Lutter get the fight to the ground and sneak away with the MW title either by a submission or decision.

This one will probably not even last a round because of the difference in styles.

Well, it'll be fun to see Rampage avenge a loss and Eastman should at least be competitive.

I have to question whether either guy even remembers as far back as KOTC 4 (or was it 3?). Total role reversal here as Eastman was the favourite back then and Rampage was a relative newbie who I think took the fight on short notice.

Eddie Sanchez gets to play the 'undefeated sacrificial lamb' role, but the best that he can hope for is that he doesn't get knocked out in under a minute.

Hope Eddie gets a decent payday for this. Although given that this is the UFC... probably not. Maybe Crop Cop can give him his "KO of the Night" bonus...

Don't know much about Hazelett. Presumably he doesn't have the skills to really test Guillard.

"Swing" is the operative word here. These guys are gonna bang. And maybe Cote can finally get his first UFC win. Or maybe he should just go back to TKO...

Undercard

Terry Martin is on a quest. Apparently that quest is to get TKO'ed in two different weight classes.

Both guys are undefeated, but I don't think that Edgar has fought anyone of consequence yet.

I hope this fight makes it onto the show. I really, really wanna see Machida fight.

Are his fights exciting?

I don't know how exciting Machida's fights are in full, I've only seen clips of him, but he's gotta be pretty hot shit, he's 8-0 with victories over Steroid Bonnar, Rich Franklin, Michael McDonald, and BJ Penn.

I don't know how exciting Machida's fights are in full, I've only seen clips of him, but he's gotta be pretty hot shit, he's 8-0 with victories over Steroid Bonnar, Rich Franklin, Michael McDonald, and BJ Penn.

Machida is so horribly boring that he threatens to suck the entire ring into the black hole of boredom that he creates during his matches. Basically, he's one of my least favorite fighters. The win over McDonald shouldn't be a credit, McDonald got all of his fame from kickboxing, he's no MMA fighter.

Lyoto managed to effectively kill the crowd at the WFA show with his bout against Tiger White and Sam Hoger isn't exactly known for pushing the pace so unless you see a higlight-reel finish I doubt we'll be laying eyes on that fight.

Yeah...Hoger's pretty much a slug. I'm not sure why UFC would put Machida up against him, especially if they're trying to introduce him on good terms, especially after his stinker versus Vernon White. Where's Rob Macdonald when ya need him?

Ohhh yeah, he did get choked out by Schafer last summer. He was on injury leave? I just thought he was ashamed. He was the first LHW that popped into my head that would make for a better debut fight for Machida. I might be wrong since I've never seen a full fight, but I was impressed with what I've seen from him, especially him KTFO on Rich Franklin.

Ohhh yeah, he did get choked out by Schafer last summer. He was on injury leave? I just thought he was ashamed. He was the first LHW that popped into my head that would make for a better debut fight for Machida. I might be wrong since I've never seen a full fight, but I was impressed with what I've seen from him, especially him KTFO on Rich Franklin.

Well, his record doesn't look near as impressive now as it did a year or two ago. Bonnar hasn't proven to be as good as everyone thought he would be, McDonald is just a kickboxer, Franklin proved to be a better fit at a different weight, and he outweighed Penn by 20 pounds or more.

Also, how can you NOT pull out a good fight against Vernon White? He comes ready to go every fight.

Well, when you put it THAT way....

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing Machida fight, although from the other comments on him and my limited knowledge of him, I'm not expecting as much outta the fight as I did a few days ago...

I really dont post in here at all, but I got a message from Directv hyping this as the first ever UFC PPV in HD.

HDNet has MMA Cagefighting on all the time, its awesome but I dont think Id pay $40 for it..

back to me not posting in here ever..

I may order this for CroCrop.

That and I get half off all PPVs. Yay for working for Comcast.

Of course you wouldn't order it for Rampage, Eastman, or Anderson Silva...

Anyway...

Cro Cop is going to smash Sanchez face in. Sanchez is a very sloppy striker, and he will be victim of a Cro Cop Highlight Reel KO.

I may order this for CroCrop.

That and I get half off all PPVs. Yay for working for Comcast.

Of course you wouldn't order it for Rampage, Eastman, or Anderson Silva...

Anyway...

Cro Cop is going to smash Sanchez face in. Sanchez is a very sloppy striker, and he will be victim of a Cro Cop Highlight Reel KO.

Let's be clear here: Nobody is ordering it for Eastman.

It's a fact that Eastman's gonna get stomped, but I think he'll put up a good fight. I don't think it'll be a 1st round KO. Eastman's a pretty capable wrestler and not horrible on his feet. He has a better shot at beating Rampage than Eddie Sanchez does of lasting 2 rounds with Cro Cop. And the more that I think about it, the more I convince myself a little bit that Travis Lutter can beat Anderson Silva...and not just by decision. Lutter's a mutafucka on the ground, so if he can take Silva down, I think there's a really good chance that he'll be able to submit him, which isn't to say that he'll be able to get Silva off his feet, but still...

Match order from Meltzer:

Patrick Cote vs. Scott Smith

Marvin Eastman vs. Quinton Rampage Jackson

Eddie Sanchez vs. Mirko Cro Cop

John Halverson vs. Roger Huerta

Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter for the middelweight title

Depending on how the show is going, they could reverse No. 3 and No. 4, which will happen if the first two matches don't go the distance

Travis Lutter came in at 187 pounds in his weight-in this afternoon in Las Vegas for his match with Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title.

Because it is a title match, Lutter has to cut two more pounds in roughly one hour or it will be a non-title match and Lutter will be fined. He looked drawn and had shaved his head in attempting to make the weight.

Terry Martin also came in at 187 for his match with Jorge Rivera. Martin only has to lose one pound because in a non-title match you are given a one-pound allowance.

Travis Lutter failed to make weight in his final attempt so the UFC 67 main event against Anderson Silva has been changed to a three-round non-title fight.

Lutter came on the scale in his final attempt at 186.5 pounds. He needed to make 185 for it to be a title match.

The other weight issue, with Terry Martin vs. Jorge Rivera, is fine. Martin weighed 186 a few minutes ago in his second attempt to make weight. In a non-title match was okay because of the one pound allowance.

I know it's not always easy to make weight, but for Lutter to not make weight with all the build up he got is astounding.

Non-Title Middleweight Bout - Three Rounds

Travis Lutter (186.5*) vs Anderson Silva (185)

Eddie Sanchez (229) vs Mirko Cro Cop (223)

Marvin Eastman (203) vs Quinton Jackson (205)

John Halverson (155) vs Roger Huerta (156)

Patrick Cote (185) vs Scott Smith (185)

Preliminary Bouts

Terry Martin (186**) vs Jorge Rivera (185)

Frank Edgar (154) vs Tyson Griffin (156)

Sam Hoger (206) vs Lyoto Machida (203)

Diego Saraiva (155) vs Dustin Hazelett (156)

*Lutter was originally 187, and came back at 186.5 in his second attempt.

**Martin was originally 187, but came back and made the contracted weight in his second attempt.