TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

The OAO Phoenix Wright thread

Wow, is the second game harder than the first.

I'm in case 4, and I absolutely have to present something. And if I get it wrong, my entire lifebar is gone. Wow.

Anyone else enjoying the legal drama?

I just started the 4th case myself, but yeah, it's definitely much harder than the first game. I got caught up big time in the 3rd case with something that took 75% of my life, so it's not surprising in the last case they have a make-or-break moment like that, especially considering what has been said so far in the case.

I'm a bit disappointed there are no DS-specific features/cases like the 5th case in the first game, but it's still great to play another Phoenix Wright game.

Something that really stands out in my mind...is in the 3rd case,

the stuff that Moe The Clown says when he's nervous after being whipped. They go by really fast without a button prompt to proceed, but I caught a Prince of Bel-Air reference ("In West Clownadelphia, born and raised..."), a reference to Pi ("3.141592653589793238462643383279. Mmm, tasty!") and a reference to the A-team.

Ever since I played the first game when it was first released on DS, I have always felt that Phoenix Wright would make an excellent animated show. Maybe it's just me, but it's something I think about a lot when I play.

I just started the 4th case myself, but yeah, it's definitely much harder than the first game. I got caught up big time in the 3rd case with something that took 75% of my life, so it's not surprising in the last case they have a make-or-break moment like that, especially considering what has been said so far in the case.

I'm a bit disappointed there are no DS-specific features/cases like the 5th case in the first game, but it's still great to play another Phoenix Wright game.

the stuff that Moe The Clown says when he's nervous after being whipped. They go by really fast without a button prompt to proceed, but I caught a Prince of Bel-Air reference ("In West Clownadelphia, born and raised..."), a reference to Pi ("3.141592653589793238462643383279. Mmm, tasty!") and a reference to the A-team.

Ever since I played the first game when it was first released on DS, I have always felt that Phoenix Wright would make an excellent animated show. Maybe it's just me, but it's something I think about a lot when I play.

There's a Phoenix Wright manga, by the way. With original cases and stories. I know someone is translating it, and I have the first case already downloaded.

About the third case:

Every time I pressed that goddamn clown, I got penalized. And also, there are so many times when it's better to not press when given the option between doing so and not, which goes against my instincts from the first game.

There's a Phoenix Wright manga, by the way. With original cases and stories. I know someone is translating it, and I have the first case already downloaded.

About the third case:

Every time I pressed that goddamn clown, I got penalized. And also, there are so many times when it's better to not press when given the option between doing so and not, which goes against my instincts from the first game.

Well, a manga is a start, but I still think this could hit an audience as an animated television show, and it would hit a larger audience than a manga. Regardless, it's not a property I own so I can't do what I want with it, but hopefully Capcom will make an effort with it...considering they did so with Viewtiful Joe and I've heard rumors of a Devil May Cry show, it could happen.

And I know what you mean about that,

I'm so used to pressing all the time and generally flying by the seat of my pants, even saying I have evidence to prove things when I really have no idea and just winging it as I go, and that cost me a lot in the 3rd case.

I hope in the new DS specific game they are making (GS4) that they ease up a bit on everything being so blasted context sensitive. The biggest issue I have with the games is that I know exactly the case I want to present, but due to the gameplay limitations you have to try to figure out the order in which they want it, as well as at what point to bring it up. It still bothers me to this day, but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the games as a whole.

I'm almost finished with the last case of Ace Attorney, and after that I've got Justice for All ready to go! On a side note, it looks like Hotel Dusk maybe within the same vein as Phoenix but a tad more serious.

Case 4 of Phoenix Wright 2 update:

OH MY FUCKING GOD

WHAT A SWERVE... where the hell did that glass come from that he's holding?

Thoth, you're going to have to hook me up with the PW manga. I knew it existed, but haven't gotten around to finding a scanlation.

Gotten a little ways through the 4th case (Just saved for the first time during the trial) and I've only had two gripes thus far. One, the turnabout music isn't nearly as epic as the original in my opinion. Two, boo at having no bonus case like the first installment.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

You can tell someone is evil when they have a snifter of Cognac that they enjoy swirling.

I just finished Phoenix Wright: Justice For All. Excellent, excellent game...makes me a bit disappointed to think of how long we may have to wait for the 3rd to be brought over. The last case lasted an incredible amount of time, with many twists and turns. I can see why many consider it the best case in the series.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

You can tell someone is evil when they have a snifter of Cognac that they enjoy swirling.

I just finished Phoenix Wright: Justice For All. Excellent, excellent game...makes me a bit disappointed to think of how long we may have to wait for the 3rd to be brought over. The last case lasted an incredible amount of time, with many twists and turns. I can see why many consider it the best case in the series.

The best part about the case was I honestly thought I had it figured out early on.

Watching the guilty party get it in the end, the look on the face, sheer terror. So satisfying.

The third game has 5 cases, although I believe there are 2 short ones instead of one. Also, the third game ties all the loose ends from the first and second games together, especially regarding this person:

Morgan Fey

I'm early in case 3, but, so far....I'm liking the original way more than Justice For All.

Maybe it's just because this whole game gives of a "been there. done that. nothing new to see here" vibe. Hopefully my opinion will change after I finish the game, but it's really not doing much for me at this point.

fazzle, Case 4 is enough of a departure that I hope it changes your mind. It's very unique, to say the least.

Ok, case 3 is seriously starting to creep me out now.

Everybody is in love with Regina. Even Phoenix seems to be falling to her charms too.

SHE'S ONLY SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!

Guest Smues

Alright the Xenogears trolling ends now.

Only a foolish fool would foolishly consider that trolling.

Foolish fool, trollish troll, what's the difference? Oh yeah, one's a mod.

ON TOPIC: I've been meaning to try the Phoenix Wright games. I really need to pick one up soon, but do they have much replay value? It seems like once you've played a case there wouldn't be much excitement to doing it again.

ON TOPIC: I've been meaning to try the Phoenix Wright games. I really need to pick one up soon, but do they have much replay value? It seems like once you've played a case there wouldn't be much excitement to doing it again.

You can try to pretend otherwise, but once you know exactly how to play through a trial, that's it for the challenge. It has about as much replay value as Myst. What that means is, if you actually enjoyed replaying Myst, you'll like replaying this.

You ordered the sauteed, crow, right? There's plenty of replay value to the cases, especially if you're the type to reread books, because there are so many good lines you would want to experience again. You don't need to base games like these on replay, anyway.

Mods are all alike. And the bigger they get, the worse they smell. Kind of like 10-day old clams in the chowder.

Guest Smues
You can try to pretend otherwise, but once you know exactly how to play through a trial, that's it for the challenge. It has about as much replay value as Myst. What that means is, if you actually enjoyed replaying Myst, you'll like replaying this.

And if you didn't enjoy Myst on the first play through?

And if you didn't enjoy Myst on the first play through?

Bad example, I guess. I was trying to convey the fact that Phoenix Wright's replay value comes from the dialogue, if it has any. The first Phoenix Wright has a weakness in that the investigative parts are somewhat easy to ignore and blow through. Everythng you need to know is in the trials. It's still an awesome experience, and Case 5 is awesome. The story throughout the cases is awesome.

Phoenix Wright 2 is generally harder than the first one, and requires you to pay attention during investigation, as there are details that you need to pay attention to. In addition, during investigation, you can lose life during certain questioning. Also, there are situations during trials where you can get fucked hard, like in Case 3 with a certain witness

Fuck you Moe

, or in Case 4, the final case of that, where pretty much everything will fuck you. Not to mention Case 4 is such an awesome mindfuck. Again, the storyline is pretty cool.

That is true, the replay value is low, but the cases are well written enough and short enough in general (usually the longest case is around 8 hours, and that's when you don't know what you're doing) that going through again can be enjoyable just to see the story again and catch things you might have missed, but the fun of not knowing what's coming next is obviously gone. That said, if you like the idea behind the premise, you'll most likely enjoy the series because it does have some of the most wonderful characterization around.

Random thought I had while playing through the game today:

Spirit mediums would make the best fucking prostitutes ever. Just think about it.

I am thinking; I don't get it. Or I don't want to.

Random thought I had while playing through the game today:

Spirit mediums would make the best fucking prostitutes ever. Just think about it.

I am thinking; I don't get it. Or I don't want to.

Dude, they can fucking change their physical forms into ANYONE. At least, anyone dead. How would that not make an awesome prostitute?

Shit, they don't need a seance. That's all just part of the act to make themselves look and feel more important than they actually are.

Look at how quickly Mia pops up in some of the cases. Just, BAM, she's there. Bitch didn't need no summoning.