TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

Oscar Nominations thread

Gosling (Ryan) is very, very, very underrated as an actor. Seems the only role people remember him for is The Notebook. But what really stood out for me was his role in "Stay", which I thought was tremendous in a movie that really wasn't good. Gosling getting a nod is awesome to me, because it's long overdue, that kid can act.

Agreed on all counts, except I thought Stay was really good, particularly the editing.

After watching Thank You For Smoking, Aaron Eckling (Eckhart, i forget) was tremendous in that role. I mean he could have gotten a nod, but that's a little bit of a stretch.

I hope Forrest wins.

Meryl Streep in The Devil in Mrs. Prada!?! I can't imagine that role being worthy of an Oscar Nomination. It just seems like a run-of-the-mill role. Is there anyone who has actually seen the movie that wants to go to bat for Streep here? I haven't seen the movie, so I guess I don't truly have a frame of reference but the movie itself looks like a typical hollywood cheeseball comedy, and it seems like most actors/actresses are punished by the academy for doing comedies because they think it doesn't take much skill to be comedic, all of the sudden Streep is awarded with an Oscar nomination....

I saw it (one of the things about netflix, its easier to justify getting movies i'd be too embarressed to grab at the video store like this). It wasn't a bad flick, considering it is a chick flick, but Meryl Streep was *tremendous*. If anyone really wants to see how great an actor Streep is, there's a scene which we find out she's just been divorced/dumped by her hubby, and just by the way she's slumping, the look of her eyes, mannerisms, in 5 seconds, did a complete 180 on the character. Also, her take on the "evil bitch" isn't as outright as others I've seen, there's a lot of subtlety there, like she's more bored and disappointed with her victim than being mean.

Without Merryl though this flick woulda been a formulaic waste of time, the fact that she is so good in a "typical cheeseball comedy" i think is what impressed voters.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/7-sp...stay-surprised/

"Spoilers" about the Oscar telecast. What I found interesting was

1. This first secret is big. Huge. Gigantic. It's that Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, and George Lucas together will be presenting the Best Director award this too-long telecast. What a gimmick. It'll be interesting for Hollywood to watch the interplay among them.

I mean, that doesn't sound "gigantic" but really neat, especially if Scorsese won. Then again, Spielberg has a producer credit for Eastwood's film, so that wouldn't surprise me either.

Sucks that the Supporting Actor/Actress awards won't be first, I always thought that was a great way to start the show.

I'm not just saying this because it was the first prediction that I got wrong, but I am flat out stunned that Pan's Labyrinth didn't win Best Foreign Film. That has to be one of the biggest shocks ever.

This show has been a complete bore so far. Ellen, as expected, has been horrible. I can't remember a show that has been this bad.

Edit: Except of course for Ferrell, jack Black and John C Reilly

Even though it's a "Lifetime Achivement" award, I'm so happy for Morricone right now. He's my favorite film composer of all time.

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Winner: An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Melissa Etheridge("I Need To Wake Up")

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Winner: Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - Michael Arndt

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Winner: Babel (2006) - Gustavo Santaolalla

Best Documentary, Features

Winner: An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Davis Guggenheim

Best Documentary, Short Subjects

Winner: The Blood of Yingzhou District (2006) - Ruby Yang, Thomas Lennon

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Winner: Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls (2006)

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Winner: Leben der Anderen, Das (2006)(Germany)

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

Winner: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) - John Knoll, Hal T. Hickel, Charles Gibson, Allen Hall

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - Guillermo Navarro

Best Achievement in Costume Design

Winner: Marie Antoinette (2006) - Milena Canonero

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Winner: The Departed (2006) - William Monahan

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Winner: Happy Feet (2006) - George Miller

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Winner: Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Best Achievement in Sound

Winner: Dreamgirls (2006) - Michael Minkler, Bob Beemer, Willie D. Burton

Best Achievement in Sound Editing

Winner: Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) - Alan Robert Murray, Bub Asman

Best Short Film, Live Action

Winner: West Bank Story (2005) - Ari Sandel

Best Short Film, Animated

Winner: The Danish Poet (2006) - Torill Kove

Best Achievement in Makeup

Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - David Martí, Montse Ribé

Best Achievement in Art Direction

Winner: Laberinto del Fauno, El (2006) - Eugenio Caballero, Pilar Revuelta

all on imdb.com

Thanks. Didn't know IMDB was doing updates - I'll head over there.

Still, I'm pleased to see that in the 10 categories my family's gambling on, I've only missed one so far - I picked Cars over Happy Feet. Harumph.

I just hope that P.O.S. Babel doesn't win Best Picture.

It damn well better win Best Picture. I've got $5 riding on it.

Personally, I'd love to see Little Miss Sunshine win, but most of the columns from "experts" said Babel was the best bet. I'm tied right now, and the only category we differ on now is Best Picture - I say Babel, mom says The Queen. And she already won the damn Superbowl betting - I refuse to let her win again.