TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON News + Notes, January 22nd Issue

Triple H is missing the big picture where said person who is in DX getting over can just turn heel when Trips comes back, and then Trips can just squash them at some PPV, while Shawn Michaels plays the part of "WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON??!!"

Come on H, I thought you could at least look this far down the road.

Things like this make me strongly question the people who say that HHH will make a good booker when and if he takes over WWE once Vince is gone. When has HHH showed booking genius?

There is a difference between HHH nixing something because it personally affects him as an active wrestler and Paul Levesque, student of the game, as a head booker post-wrestling career.

In the Hogan/Khali bodyslam angle, you could have a passing of the torch moment where Hogan goes to slam him but cannot, so Cena runs down and bodyslams him and then both Hogan and Cena do the Hulkamania poses and such.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Hogan would go for that...

Not a bad idea, though.

Frankly, I can't believe that there are even that many die hard marks out there that really want to see Hogan have "one more match at Wrestlemania", especially rehashing a moment everyone has seen a million times on WWE television.

In the Hogan/Khali bodyslam angle, you could have a passing of the torch moment where Hogan goes to slam him but cannot, so Cena runs down and bodyslams him and then both Hogan and Cena do the Hulkamania poses and such.

I had the same thought briefly before realizing that there isn't a chance in hell that Hogan would ever allow that to happen.

I don't know - Does Hogan think he's still got anything to offer? I mean he talks about Andre passing him the torch in that match, what better way than for Hogan to pass that torch 20 years later in Detroit at Wrestlemania? I guess it would depend on if Cena was Hogan's chosen one - however I don't think Andre chose Hogan as much as Vince did, and Vince would undoubtedly choose Cena for this spot.

Triple H is missing the big picture where said person who is in DX getting over can just turn heel when Trips comes back, and then Trips can just squash them at some PPV, while Shawn Michaels plays the part of "WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON??!!"

Come on H, I thought you could at least look this far down the road.

Things like this make me strongly question the people who say that HHH will make a good booker when and if he takes over WWE once Vince is gone. When has HHH showed booking genius?

There is a difference between HHH nixing something because it personally affects him as an active wrestler and Paul Levesque, student of the game, as a head booker post-wrestling career.

I find the whole scenario amusing, since when the shoe was on the other foot a decade ago HHH had no problem adding in X-Pac and the NAO to DX while HBK was sitting on the sidelines.

HHH also had no choice at the time, he wasn't a main eventer yet nor did he have any stroke.

I don't know - Does Hogan think he's still got anything to offer? I mean he talks about Andre passing him the torch in that match, what better way than for Hogan to pass that torch 20 years later in Detroit at Wrestlemania? I guess it would depend on if Cena was Hogan's chosen one - however I don't think Andre chose Hogan as much as Vince did, and Vince would undoubtedly choose Cena for this spot.

Hogan already tried passing the torch to the Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg and the Rock, but none of them could carry it.

Hogan already tried passing the torch to the Ultimate Warrior, Goldberg and the Rock, but none of them could carry it.

Warrior I give you, but Rock had reached top status by the time he was against Hogan anyway. Goldberg was screwed by crappy booking and WCW politics more than his own limitations.

Re: Hogan 'passing the torch' to Goldberg.

Passing the torch to someone doesn't mean losing to them clean and then staying in the top matches while the guy you 'passed the torch' to is in the semi-main events, when he's even able to get on the PPV.

And as for Hogan 'passing the torch' to Rock, that's a good one.

Passing the torch to someone doesn't mean losing to them clean and then staying in the top matches while the guy you 'passed the torch' to is in the semi-main events, when he's even able to get on the PPV.

That was a joke. Have you never heard a Hogan interview?

That was a joke. Have you never heard a Hogan interview?

And a good one. I've tried listening to a Hogan interview, but my head explodes from trying to make any kind of sense of what he says.

I've never understood how Andre passed the torch to Hogan. Hogan was the world champion for 3 YEARS before he ever faced Andre. It's not like Hogan beat Andre for the title, or that Andre was even a full time main eventer. He was more of a freak show side attraction who won battle royales and tagged with a popular face.

Why does someone have to pass a torch anyway? That's what transition champions are made for.

The whole "passing the torch" thing is way overblown. It's something Hogan and Vince made up after the fact to build that one bodyslam into some epic moment for all time to feed their egos.

Passing the torch will apply when these guys leave and stay gone. So far, only Andre did that (well kinda sorta not really).

Foley hasn't passed a torch. Hogan will never pass a torch. Flair hasn't passed one and judging from the money he owes his ex and the government, won't be doing it anytime soon. Austin damn sure hasn't passed a torch.

I'd say if anyone ever has, it was Andre because he gave up the one last rub he had. Getting slammed was the ultimate testament to the strength of Hulk Hogan. I mean you can say how strong a guy is but you need a display to prove it. Slamming Andre was that display for Hulk Hogan. Andre gave up his spot as the strongest man (in a way) so it was a little bit of a pass. Had Andre been slammed before? Hell if I remember, probably so. Actually, Andre wrestled for four more years so even he didn't. Now I really don't know what the hell I was talking about. I just miss Andre and like talking about him

What would you call the Rock losing clean to Lesnar? I thought the Rock was always good about putting folks over...like the Hurricane for instance...

Rock lost to Hurricane clean all right, but he didn't put him over. There is a difference. The focus that night was all on Rock and Austin, and it was Austin's music that ended the show while Hurricane sped to the back like Earl Hebner out of Montreal. I like Rock, though, and he did put Lesnar over huge.

The closest Austin came to passing the torch was at Wrestlemania XIX when he finally lost convincingly to Rock and then retired. But I'm not sure that counts since Rock was gone a month later anyways.

True passing of the torch moments are really rare. One of the few that I can think of is Ric Flair losing to Bret Hart in Saskatoon. Flair was the top heel for most of the previous year, and Bret Hart was getting his first shot at the main events after several years in the midcard. Flair was gone from the WWF within 5 months and Hart quickly became the company's biggest star of the period.

If you go way back Rogers/Sammartino is probably about as close as you can get to somebody passing the torch.

Guest Auph10imitated

A Fatal Four Way may be lazy booking but at the end of the day the card will be pretty stacked, so its not like it needs depth.

1] SD World Title (Batista/Taker)

2] RAW World Title (Cena/HBK)

3] ECW World Title (Lashley -- vs Whocares?)

4] IC Championship (Hardy vs ? Dykstra?)

5] US Championship (Involving Beniot, or Chavo or someone?)

6] RAW Tag Titles (Cryme Tyme vs Someone? Benjamin/Haas vs ?) I dunno

7] SD Tag Titles (L&K vs? .. MNM? Untouchables?)

8] Womens Title (Mickie vs ?)

9] Possibly Edge/Orton

10] Some Involvment With Hogan (vs Shane or whoever)

11] Horribly Ashley's Playboy Push T&A Match (Sad, but 90% chance its true based on previous years)

12] Cruiserweight? (Yeah right)

Which leaves us to fit in Umaga, King Booker, Kane, Finaly, Ken Kennedy, Flair, MVP, Perhaps Rey Mysterio? Carlito, Chris Masters, Matt Hardy, CM Punk & RVD (Assuming they are not in the ECW Title)

Thats a HELL of alot to fit and unless they do Money In The Bank (AGAIN) to fit 6 guys into one match, a Fatal Four Way for the RAW Title to free up two slots isnt such a bad idea aftter all IMO.

In fact, another idea that I was thinking lately was if Hogan & Austin refuse to work a match opposing each other, why not have them reluctantly team up, the fans would eat that up, both running through thier routines as a team, the oponents? The McMahons? Rated RKO (Tag Title Match)?

Austin and Hogan wouldn't work together because they'd have to share the spotlight and the appeal is them facing each other, not beating up the McMahons.

Austin has one match left in him and he isn't about to waste it by tagging with Hogan.

Thats a HELL of alot to fit and unless they do Money In The Bank (AGAIN) to fit 6 guys into one match, a Fatal Four Way for the RAW Title to free up two slots isnt such a bad idea aftter all IMO.

WWE doesn't worry about the IC title getting on the show anymore. My guess is there will be MITB and no way they do a ladder match without throwing Hardy in there.

A Fatal Four Way may be lazy booking but at the end of the day the card will be pretty stacked, so its not like it needs depth.

9] Possibly Edge/Orton

11] Horribly Ashley's Playboy Push T&A Match (Sad, but 90% chance its true based on previous years)

Which leaves us to fit in Umaga, King Booker, Kane, Finaly, Ken Kennedy, Flair, MVP, Perhaps Rey Mysterio? Carlito, Chris Masters, Matt Hardy, CM Punk & RVD (Assuming they are not in the ECW Title)

In fact, another idea that I was thinking lately was if Hogan & Austin refuse to work a match opposing each other, why not have them reluctantly team up, the fans would eat that up, both running through thier routines as a team, the oponents? The McMahons? Rated RKO (Tag Title Match)?

I doubt they do a IC, US or SD Title match. I think The Hardyz or Cryme Time beat Edge and Orton on RAW in a couple of weeks and we get a 4 way RAW tag title match or something. I think a 4 way TLC with MNM, Hardyz, WGTT, Cryme Tyme could defiantly happen. They should have MitB at Summerslam this year.

Guest Auph10imitated

9] Possibly Edge/Orton

I doubt they do a IC, US or SD Title match. I think The Hardyz or Cryme Time beat Edge and Orton on RAW in a couple of weeks and we get a 4 way RAW tag title match or something. I think a 4 way TLC with MNM, Hardyz, WGTT, Cryme Tyme could defiantly happen. They should have MitB at Summerslam this year.

Your saying they wouldnt do a SD, US & IC Title matches at Wrestlemania or am I mistaken?

Well of course they will be doing a SD Title, and if Beniot & Hardy are US/IC Champions I see no doubt in my mind there will be those title matches to.

More than likley to be lazy, if they do Edge vs Orton they will leave them as champions and do Tag Champ vs Tag Champ so they dont have to book a tag match for RAW, through sheer laziness and lack of interest from the creative team, plus the SD Tag Title Match maybe interpromotional with MNM & The Hsrdyz so I guess that clears up more space too.

I do pray Ashley doesnt get a match but the Playboy Queens have all got WM matches and promotion the past 3 years (20, 21 & 22)

Also if RVD vs CM Punk isnt the ECW Title Match, I wont give a shit.

Hogan was / has been body slammed before WM III. Once or twice by Hogan in the early 80's, and a few times by the Ultimate Warrior in 89' - 90'.