TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

UFC Fight Night #???

records are from the UFC website

Undercard:

Welterweights: Ross "The Gladiator" Pointon (4-8) vs Rich "No Love" Clementi (22-6)

Lightweights: Clay "The Carpenter" Guida (21-3) vs Din "DinYero" Thomas (21-7)

Middleweights: Ed "Short Fuse" Herman (13-4) vs Chris "The Exorcist" Price (8-1)

Welterweights: Chad "The Grinder" Reiner (13-1) vs "The People's Warrior" Josh Burkman (18-3)

Middleweights: Dean "The Boogeyman" Lister vs. (9-4) vs Nate "The Great" Marquardt (27-6-1)

Live Fights:

Lightweights: Hermes Franca (17-5) vs Spencer "King" Fisher (20-2)

Heavyweights: "Irish" Jake O'Brien (9-0) vs "The Texas Crazy Horse" Heath Herring (26-11-1)

Light-Heavyweights: Rashad Evans (14-0) vs Sean Salmon (9-1)

Call me crazy, but is it really a good thing to call yourself a "grinder"? I associate that with two things - sandwiches and a guy who plays low-level cash games (poker, blackjack etc) to earn a living.

And all this to help promote season 2 of "Pros vs Joes" (featuring Randy Couture)? Well, at least I'm not missing a new ep of The Office for this...

'Irish' Jake O'Brien? That's gotta be the worst nickname for a fighter since Jason "The Athelete" Macdonald. Any card with Rashad Evans in the main event is weak. They do have some decent fights...the Spencer Fisher one, Thomas vs. Guida, Lister vs. Marquardt, and it's always fun to see Ed Hermann get beat up...actually, the card might not be half bad.

"Irish" has been a very popular nickname in boxing for ages. Mickey Ward & John Duddy are the best recent examples. It's just carried over into UFC.

Yeah, but it's still a horrible ring name. I mean, he could've enhanced it like Heath Herring did, but I guess "Irish Crazy Horse" is a pretty shitty name, too. I guess he's banking on the stereotype of Irish people being brawler-esque, but he could instantly become one of my favorite fighters if he goes the other way and comes out wearing a big green top hat and carrying a shillelagh and telling Herring that he'll "never get [his] pot o' gold!!!!!"

I'm actually pretty fuckin amped for this card. Fisher/Franca is a potential FOTY, Herring will hopefully make a good showing against O'Brien, Nate/Dean is being pretaped so if it's good we'll see it and Rashad and Salmon were alllllll up in each others grills at the weigh-ins. Fun night ahead, methinks.

Evans/Salmon: Wrestler vs. wrestler match-up, which has a chance to be VERY boring, unless both get on some Couture/Van Arsdale shit, or Rashad simply dominates.

Herring/O'Brien: Despite being terribly painful to watch from a technical standpoint, Herring is almost garaunteed to get the audience pumped as long as he doesn't mail it in, and the opprotunity for O'Brien to get a win over a well established name is reason enough to get excited.

Fisher/Franca: Considering Franca's shit defense standing and Fisher's non-chalantness when it comes to being taken down, both of these guys are going to make the other look good. Of course I'm hoping Spencer pulls it out, because he really has no reason not to.

Lister/Marquardt: Considering both guys are probably in line for a title shot (along with the winner of Swick/Okami), you'd have to hope they put on a fight that makes air (ie- is not drizzling shit). Of course, with how badly Nate outclasses Dean in most aspects of the game, he has no excuse not to end this early. Then again, this is Narco Nate we're talking about.

Herman/Price: Price is pure feeder material here. Herman might put himself into trouble at one point or another as he is prone to do, but in the end should submit Price handily.

Reiner/Burkman: Reiner is playing a similar role to Price, with a pretty looking record and some skills, but with no real hope of taking out someone like Burkman.

Guida/Din: One of the more interesting fights on the card, as Guida is a wreckless psycho while Din is an oft-dissapointing technician. Guida is going to give it his all regardless of whether Din wants to fight back or not; the only question is if Din catches him like he should or if he lets himself get mauled for 15 minutes.

Pointon/Clementi: Ross sucks and will likely never amount to anything, but I still hope he beats the piss out of Clementi. Clementi via sub, Rd.1

Quoth the Rogan: "Right now, O'Brien's just beating his ass." "That's amatuerish!" "That's blue belt jiu-jitsu, right there!" Main event for UFC 75, Cro Cop vs. Irish for the UFC Heavyweight Title.

I don't know why Rogan is shitting on his escapes so much. He's always done that and been fairly successful at escaping the mount and then escaping the rear naked and establishing position on top, however instead of doing that O'Brien is just reestablishing his mount position.

Maybe the change of gyms has something to do with it.

To be fair "Irish" didn't look very good either, his subs were pretty awful looking.

Edit: Beat me to it. Herring was able to escape the sub attempts by just moving his head a bit. Pretty bad fight all around.

To be fair "Irish" didn't look very good either, his subs were pretty awful looking.

I agree, pretty pathetic fight overall. Joe was pimping O'Brien but he looked clueless on the ground, he had so many sub opportunities.

Yeah, if Irish woulda had any submission skills, that fight woulda been over in the first or second round. He kept passing Herring's guard and just taking him down at will but couldn't do a damn thing with it.

Salmon looks really out of shape and his fighting style is ugly as hell but I have to give him props. He looks like he has basically no idea what he's doing but he has still taken round 1.

Edit: I guess that's what happens when you fight perpetually bent over at the waist and don't move your head at all.

Holy crap was THAT out of nowhere. Salmon's out cold.

Looks like he was taking kickboxing lessons from Cro-Cop I can't believe the boring arrogant TUF fighter is turning into a KO master. Reshad KTFO Salmons the second he hit the high kick it was like the Petey Williams KO over Coleman.