TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

UFC Fight Night #???

I love everyone hating on O'Brien, despite the fact that he's still a young guy with 20 months experience and little jiu jitsu training and just completely dominated Herring and mounted him like an old whore. Sure he couldn't submit him, but who has this millenium outside of Noguiera?

Though, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the dissapointing revelation that Spencer has the biggest disparity between skill and intelligence in an MMA fighter. Boku/Franca couldn't be THAT hard for Miletich to get a hold of.

I don't think anyone saying O'Brien sucked for what he did.

He just didn't TRY anything with his dominate positions. He simply held Herring and caught him when Herring tried to escape.

It is a two sided coin. What was Herring supposed to do with a Division 1 league wrestler trying to take him down? On the flipside, what's O'Brien supposed to do? Let Herring punch him and fuck him up?

All the hate is coming from the strategy. What O'Brien did may win you fights, but it doesn't win you fans and that's what ultimately drives MMA. It's a sport, but drawing in fans is much more important. Someone like Rashad GETS that, as he's improved his game tremendously due to the critism. Someone like O'Brien may, but he didn't make a good first impression on the national stage. Herring, while he got beaten at least tried to make the fight exciting for the fans with punches which he VERY nearly knocked O'Brien out with two/three times.

It just wasn't a good fight for either man. I don't think either gained or lost anything from that. For Herring, he can just claim O'Brien hugged him. For O'Brien, he beat someone most UFC fans hadn't seen before. Neither won from that fight.

I honestly think Salmon was out cold throughout Rashad's entire interview. Sick, sick, knockout...(which coincidentally preempted the show from going overtime).

I never want to see Troy (or was it Terry) Waugh on my screen again. His little dance when he started round one made me angry. Get Big John back in the main events.

I knew something was amiss with that Waugh fellow when he was giving instructions to Rashad and Salmon and he said, "Go back to your corners and come out a-rockin'!!!!!"

Looking at the results of the other fights that weren't broadcast-

Marquardt over Lister by UD

Burkman over Reiner by UD

Din over Guida by UD

Clementi over Pointon by submission, RNC; 4:53 Rd. 2.

Well, the card ended up being...not half bad. The only real clunker of the nite was the Herring/Irish fight, and even that was fun to see if even for the...unpredictableness of it all. The Franca fight was good, and his BJ Penn imitation will hopefully get him a title fight...if Sherk ever comes back. It was good to see Ed Herman get his first UFC win, and that armbar was pretty sweet. And I'm glad that it looks like Rashad is learning how to finish. That kick was Cro Cop-esque almost.

Would it be fair to say that UFC style is:

1) Win decisions by getting numerous takedowns but not doing anything on the ground.

2) KTFO opponents by pretending that this is pseudo boxing.

With O'Brien vs Herring being the prototype of the boring style? When they were standing O'Brien was running backwards counter punching waiting to set up the wrestling takedown so he can take a restbreak and Herring giving chase throwing haymakers attempting to get the one punch KO.

I guess Herring was part of the package deal to get Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Cro-Cop, Rampage....take the good with the bad. It's nice to see the TUF guys progress skill wise as I never ever seen anybody pull a armbar submission from the back position and its a good thing that Rashad is adding more tools to his arsenal. Too bad Leben and Bonnar who were suppose to be the glory boys have regressed in the past showings on Spike tv Fight Night cards. The search for the savior of the Heavyweight division shall continue until someone can KTFO Tim "I never leave home without my belt" Slyvia. Hm are they any good heavyweights from WEC or any one from K-1 they can buy cheap? I really want to see Bob Sapp or Mark Hunt challenge Tim Slyvia for the UFC Heavyweight Championship of the World.

I actually heard COLIN COWHERD mention this on ESPNRadio, so I had to see this. I'm not much of a UFC guy at all... BUT HOLY FARKING SHITE! I have never seen a kick like that in my life.

Are Cro Cops even better?

Cro Cop has the best kicks in MMA in my opinion. Granted, I'm not that schooled in MMA, but he's a beast

As far as kicking finishes my favorite was Pete Williams putting Mark Coleman down with a kick to the face

While I wouldn't mind seeing Sapp fight Sylvia sometime...I really don't want to see him in the UFC

What about the Critical Countdown card for the PRIDE FC Super Heavyweight Grand Prix? Nothing but wild swinging from Sapp countered by the Sprawl & Brawl of Tim Slyvia to be the carny sensationalism that is the typcially main event of the Saitama Super Arena card.

Are Cro Cops even better?

Mirko > Kawada in the high kick category! The Europeans are the great at the kickboxing style with people like Overeem brothers, Semmy Schilt, Gilbert Yvel KTFO people. And then there are the Chute Boxe Academy guys from Brazil that dominate the stand up with their Muay Thai and flying knees. I would say that American style is primary KO punchers or wrestlers that do nothing but ground & pound. And the Russians are cyborgs...

Yeah that's not going to kill the thread dead for most people.

Begging to Dana White must really work. Hermes is going to fight Sherk in July for the title.

Rashad's kick wasn't really very impressive. I mean it was well-timed and hit right on the button but calling it a "high kick" is a bit generous. His opponent was a short troll and crouching over to boot. The result was spectacular but the kick itself was pretty mundane.

Now Salmon's crane kick early in the first round...that was a thing of beauty! ;)

Man, people are really letting their vaginas bleed over this whole "Rashad is a dirty fighter, he shouldn't have thrown a punch after Salmon was KO'd" bullshit.

This wouldn't happen if he was white.

Man, people are really letting their vaginas bleed over this whole "Rashad is a dirty fighter, he shouldn't have thrown a punch after Salmon was KO'd" bullshit.

What was he suppose to do after the kick run around the ring to do a victory dance while Salmon bitches and complains about early stoppage to the ref?

What was he suppose to do after the kick run around the ring to do a victory dance while Salmon bitches and complains about early stoppage to the ref?

Yes, and he's also supposed to do the Flair strut and "WHOOO!" as well...

Rashad picked the most logical option during a MMA fight; He continued to attack until the ref stopped the fight. He would be fairly embarrassed as a fighter if he had stopped the attack and somehow the fight had continued. It's not often that a fighter comes back after being knocked down after a big hit, but it can happen.

I would have called it dirty if this was boxing or if Rashad had continued to punch after the ref stop.