TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Admit It...

If you never saw Dr. Death or Stan Hansen work from Japan would you still be a fan based on their work in USA?

I was a fan of theirs before I knew of their work in Japan..."Dr. Death" from his days in the Mid-South and UWF and Hansen from his AWA and Georgia days. Too bad "Dr. Death" didn't have more charisma or he could have been HUGE here in the States.

I never understood why Williams became a glorified jobber after NWA/WCW bought UWF. Was it just to show that the NWA guys were superior to the UWF Heavyweight Champion, or what?

I actually did find Borga's win over Tatanka surprising. The one finger pin was a nice touch.

Speaking of, how many people have used cutter/stunner variatons since Austin (limiting it to North America)? There's

tons: Disco, Shane Douglas, Disciple, Orton, DDP (though I think he predated Austin), Test, Daniels, Mero, Masato Tanaka, Matt Hardy, just off the top of my head. there's tons.

Mikey Whipwreck, Buff Bagwell , Dudley Boys (Bubba Cutter, Acid Drop, 3D), Naturals, Spanky.

I really got into wrestling big-time in late 1985/early 1986. My favorites from that time period were:

Randy Savage (my favorite wrestler from 1985-1994)

Ricky Steamboat

Jake Roberts

The Bulldogs

The Hart Foundation

Hulk Hogan

Bobby Heenan

I will admit marking out hard for the Powers of Pain when I saw them debut on WWF Superstars. Something about the way they completely demolished their jobber opponents and looked so physically impressive just hooked me. I didn't get a chance to watch much Crockett NWA stuff, but I did remember the angle where they fucked up Animal's eye, and so they retained a bit of that badass aura for me.

I was a huge Dudley Boyz mark during their period of torment on the tag division in ECW circa '97-98. Man oh man did they ever own, with their extremely long entrance with Joel Gertner, who rocked the mic each and everytime he did introductions. I mean, jeebus, Bubba and D-Von used to cause near riots! Their in-ring work wasn't at all exciting, but the environment they created whenever they entered the ring was worth it to me.

Rick Rude. I remember when I first checked ECW out a little before Barely Legal and watched him come out as a masked man. He had disappeared for awhile and I was happy to see him back. He set the crowd on fire, and I used to always mark for that confrontation with Douglas.

Shane Douglas. The Franchise gimmick in ECW.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPO ... MAN. I mean, how could you not love that?

Demolition, for the look and music alone.

The Eliminators. I would mark like a schoolboy for Total Elimination, just an awesome finishing move.

Crush's WWF Theme when he was Kona Krush. That shit rawked.

Before I knew about workrate I was a huge Ahmed Johnson fan. Dude just seemed to have unlimited potental at the time.

I was also a huge Too Much mark, untill they became Too Cool

I'm the exact opposite. I hated Too Much, but freaking loved Too Cool. I marked out everytime they danced.

I was a hardcore WWF mark.

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Tatanka

Kona Crush

Hulk Hogan

The Bushwhackers

Lex Luger

And in WCW, I was a HUGE Wolfpac fan. I still got my red and black nWo T-shirt. They just looked like a cooler version of the nWo. I liked the theme song too. Luger, Sting, Nash, Konnan, Macho Man when he was there. I absolutely loved them. And I despised Chris Jericho too!

Edited by Ed Wood Caulfield

Ludvig Borga beating Tatanka with one finger (!) I think traumatised everyone as a kid. It was just surreal.

yea, I agree. That had me bummed the whole weekend. then again he had help from yokozuna.

the wolfpac song was catchy, I just kind of liked the actual team. mostly cuz sting and luger joined it. I have that song recorded on a cd (I dl'd it from some long forgotten site, not the best quality but cool to have, and they still play it for Jason Giambi at Yankee Stadium, and once I saw people doing the wolfpac symbol in the crowd)

The Wolfpac was the most random combination of wrestlers....

I liked Nash at that time, since I was like 16, and his persona was a big goofy 16 year old. But man, did I hate Luger. And STing looked like the biggest dork during the Wolfpac days.

The winners of this thread so far seem to be Ahmed Johnson and Rude.

Also, I'll say I hated Hulk Hogan... until the Hollywood Hogan days. I never thought he was 'cool', but he was absolutely hilarious. He couldn't work, but his moves consisted of: belt whip, eye poke, low blow, back scratch, begging for mercy.

It's like he read Rick Flair's 'Heeling for Dummies' and only looked at the pictures. And it was a pop-up book.

The best were his verbal assaults mid-match to Lex Luger:

*Whipping Luger with weight belt* "Flexy Lexy! Flexy Lexy! You Piece of crap! Lex Luthor! Flexy Lexy! You piece of crap!"

*Gets punched, like, once.* "AWWWW GAWWWWD! Oh Brother I'm sorry. OH GAWWWWD!"

*Pokes Luger in the eye, resumes heel 101* "FLEXY LEXY!"

I was crying.

For one glorious night this was revisited with: "I'm going to lay the smack down, on ROck's crippled ass, for life! nWo style, for life, crippled ass, laying the smack down on his crippled ass, for life!"

Men on a Mission. The matches were never stellar, but I got hooked on the ring introduction. Also, Mabel doing that crescent kick of his was the most amazing thing to behold back in the day.

Hakushi. Like M.O.M., I dug the gimmick. I also admittedly thought the tattoos were legit.

Ahmed Johnson had the intensity and the look, got the huge push to the IC title, and I bought it.

We used to bump the Nation.

THIS IS THE NATION

RHYMIN; IN COLOR

DON'T DIS THE MAN 'CAUSE I BUM RUSH YOUR MOTHER!

THIS IS WHAT I"M SAYIN'

FO REAL AND NOT PLAYIN'

FAROOQ IS THE MAN

SO HIT YOUR KNEES AND START PRAYIN!!!

mumbled: nation, huh of domination

I liked PG-13 rapping the theme song they had mad skillz G! Too bad Jamie Dundee or was it JC Ice D was barely 160 soaking wet he could of had a future in the company.

PG-13 > Cena there I said it.

Okay.... I'll confess. For me, it's goofy WCW tag teams.

In particular, Kronic. Just briefly. I mean, after their push faded a little, they got worse and worse because they just started phoning it in on WCW Saturday Night and the like. But when they first got together, for some reason they had the kind of look and intensity (and entrance music) to make me think they could be awesome. How little I knew.

Oh, and High Voltage. For all the same reasons.

I was a little fucked up in the 90s, at times.

I'd like to pretend I was cool, but since I only saw a few shows when I was young (Britain + no satellite TV = no wrestling in the late 80s/early 90s) I must admit I simply marked for the faces and hated the heels.

However, when i started watching again I was a MASSIVE fan of Kai En Tai, because they were doing their 'Japanese B-Movie Villain' gimmick. Which I know was hideously un-PC, but was also some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

"You! Raven! If that is your real name! You have great entrance music! I know all the words!"

*imitates ravens cawing*

"And you! You call yourself Justin Credible! I call you 'Just About To Get Your Ass Kicked'! For we are Kai En Tai, and we are EEEEEEEEEEEEE-VILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

*Funaki speaks for several seconds with no sound over the mic*

"IN-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!"

I always wished I could find one of those Kai En Tai T-shirts.