TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Windows Vista.

I love the slamming it's getting in the press for being a complete ripoff of OS X. cnet destroyed it.

I've got nothing else except it will be rendered obsolete when Leopard releases this summer.

I promise - no more Apple fanboyism in this thread from me - but you all know that Bill Gates was so successful ripping off the Mac previously that he doesn't even try to hide it anymore. He just does it.

Guest Smues

A 7.0 for basic and 7.8 for ultimate aren't exactly destroying it.

I considered splurging for it today but I'll probably wait a bit. I'm more likely to pick up Office 2007 soon.

Guest Princess Leena

I'll get a legally free copy soon enough, so I'm just wondering. If I have to update drivers and such, I'll be aggravated.

A 7.0 for basic and 7.8 for ultimate aren't exactly destroying it.

I considered splurging for it today but I'll probably wait a bit. I'm more likely to pick up Office 2007 soon.

True. It got good scores, as it should, because the features are good. But they aren't theirs, as they pointed out (as well as just about everyone else).

I won't be getting this until I absolutely have to. XP runs so well that I can't see myself needing it. Let them release a couple of service packs first.

exactly

I love the slamming it's getting in the press for being a complete ripoff of OS X. cnet destroyed it.

I've got nothing else except it will be rendered obsolete when Leopard releases this summer.

I promise - no more Apple fanboyism in this thread from me - but you all know that Bill Gates was so successful ripping off the Mac previously that he doesn't even try to hide it anymore. He just does it.

Leopard was moved to this summer? I must have missed the announcement. Last I heard was spring.

I tried it at Staples and it's like half of OSX and half of XP mixed together.

Basically, it's still a fuckin PC and it sucks.

I bought the Basic version. I think it's overpriced. Ultimate has so much more stuff and it costs $250. For $100, the Basic version comes with nothing, like Microsoft saying hey we'll let you have a small taste of Vista. Most of my hardware works with Vista. Installing stuff is a pain because Windows asks if you're the adminstrator. I can't find away around this. The worst part about that is the screen flicks on and off during the process. I could have bought some DVD's or games for the price of Vista.

Guest Vitamin X

I figured this is just going to be a prettied up version of XP. Wah wah. I'm looking forward to getting a copy eventually, particularly since it has native 32 bit support, but XP works just fine for me now. You need a really good system to run Vista.

Also, Mac fanboys: Vista runs faster than OSX, even on a Mac.

I'll be like everyone else and get it on my next new computer in a few years.

I went through to much hell updating Windows ME to XP to try and upgrade my barely meeting min. requirements computer for Vista to Vista.

Me too.

I installed this back in November when it was leaked on all the major torrent sites. At present, I couldn't recommend this OS to anyone. It's not that they did a poor job on it, it's that everyone is going to run into 3rd party driver issues right now. A lot of the programs that people take for granted don't work on Vista because 3rd party developers didn't build their program to run on it. It's inevitable that everyone will catch up, but in the meantime the OS isn't worth the hassle that people will experience in the near future.

I'd recommend sticking with Windows XP Professional (Home is terrible IMO) for the time being.

Guest Princess Leena

Eww, driver issues.

Definitely no then for the short term, at least.

I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. So far I like it...sometimes it seems like things are a bit clunky, but I think that's more me getting used to the laptop than any fault of Vista's. (This is my first laptop ever). Mainly we're just going to use the laptop for internet and word processing. (Off topic: WTF is with computers not having Office built in?)

Haven't tried installing any programs yet really, so I haven't encountered any driver issues. The built in desktop "gizmos" like the clock and slide show are kind of neat, if pointless.

The Mac commercials are right on about the stupid "proceed or cancel" question boxes, though. There must be a way to turn those off, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Look under Windows Help for UAC controls. I heard it supposed to protect your computer but I can't figure out how. It's annoying so I turned it off.

Thanks for the help. That seemed to take care of the majority of them, at least.

haha

the problem with microsoft is they couldn't give a fuck

i mean, windows update wouldn't be necessary if they'd just fix the bugs before releasing their product to the public

for my next computer, if i get one, i will definitely consider a mac, the extra price seems well worth it

i have no desire to get vista, xp was never fixed so i know what to expect with that, let alone what beta testers were saying about it's readiness

plus, i'm guessing it takes up more memory which would be useless to me

Guest Vitamin X

Macs and Windows both have their pros and cons. It's not like Macs don't come with their fair share of problems either, but they've done an extraordinarily good job of promoting themselves as the computer that doesn't crash. I mean, relatively speaking this is true, but Windows is so much more versatile and powerful, and for a lesser price (especially if you build one, which you can't do with a Mac- which I was alluding to in another thread).

With that said though, by the end of this year I will have a small desktop running Vista Premium, a MacBook, and will gut out my current not so great Dell for its mobo and processor, stack on two 500GB hard drives, then boot up Linux on it and use it as a file server/media center. With the wireless present on my current modem, it'll be great too, and all three will live in perfect harmony, I hope.

I'd choose Linux as a file/media server for obvious reasons, Windows is great for a desktop, and Mac is great for a laptop since I don't need to use it for much outside of my home, plus then I could also set up Final Cut on it and hook it up with other monitors and have some fun with that.

I'd probably have bought a Mac laptop if it wasn't for the big price difference, and the fact that I don't need to do a bunch of music/picture/video editing.

Slightly off topic, but related to Vista, question:

As mentioned, our new laptop has Windows Vista. We have it on a wireless internet connection (Linksys wireless router attached to our high speed internet modem). Our existing PC has Windows XP, and is connected to the same router. How can I set up a home network to share documents and files between the two computers? I'm trying to figure it out, and having no success thus far.

Guest Vitamin X

You should have a bit more luck with this one, but if I am to assume that the existing PC that has Windows XP on it is the one that is physically wired to the wireless router (with your laptop just having a wireless card), you can use the XP Network setup wizard to set it up. I don't have any experience with Vista, so maybe all those infamous security annoyances may pop up in trying to make sure that the XP computer can connect, but for the most part, XP is pretty simple to set up a home network. Do it through that computer, set up a network ID and all that jazz with a key and everything, then it'll just be about tweaking your wireless card on your Vista laptop to log on to that network. I don't think it should be that difficult if you go that route. Have you tried logging in your laptop to any other wireless network? Should be similar to that.

Slightly off topic, but related to Vista, question:

As mentioned, our new laptop has Windows Vista. We have it on a wireless internet connection (Linksys wireless router attached to our high speed internet modem). Our existing PC has Windows XP, and is connected to the same router. How can I set up a home network to share documents and files between the two computers? I'm trying to figure it out, and having no success thus far.

On the Welcome Center menu, there is an option 'Transfer files and settings'. This will launch the file transfer program (which you will have to copy onto your other computer- just copy it to a disk then move it over). Then you can either transfer files between your computers using your wireless internet (like I did) or use some cable that you can buy (that I won't spend money on).

As for Vista, I just bought a new laptoip and it came pre-loaded with home Premium. I like it- it runs pretty smooth, I love the look and feel, I like Media Center (even though it has issues with some of my movie files for some reason), and though it took some getting used to, I like the new Start menu. On the bad side- third party developer support. It took me a while to install Nero because the version I had wasn't Vista-capable (had to download that version via bit torrent). The install thing that pops up is annoying as well. Additionally, I have an external hard drive that I plug in, but it always sets off this error message:

'COM Surrogate has stopped working'

I have no idea what the hell this means (and it really doesn't affect anything, I just have to keep clicking the message off to get things moving again). But it really is annoying.

Networking between a XP and Vista computer is tricky. First of all, the default names Windows gives to your computer doesn't match so you'll have to change the name of the network on one of the computers. I know XP's default name is XPHome. I forgot what Vista's in.

Since I'm no expert in this, go to Windows Mail in Vista. Click on Microsoft Communities and go to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking. They'll be able to help you.

Guys, thanks for the help. I finally got it to work...I'm not even 100% sure how. I think it was a combination of Norton's firewall blocking something, and a sharing setting not being right somewhere on Vista. Working fine now, though.

Question on Vista, as I've got to invest in a new PC...

Is it fully compatible with the Xbox 360? Has anyone had any problems linking Media Centre and the 360?